Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Want that goddamn Serum Visions sleeve since I like that art, but 17% off is still too pricey. Talked myself out of all cosmetics in MTGA except for when they did the rare 98% discounts when they first started daily deals and I'm not gonna break down yet.

id play non lurrus rogues. Even more fun in historic. Those pesky yorion decks usually are light or pack no counter spells at all.
DAMNATION. Although I have played some rogues in historic and it is kind of fun. Just like it's nice to play mono blue tempo in historic and counter people ramping into Ugin and shit. Yorion was driving me up the fucking wall last night though, Jesus H Christ. Didn't help that when I bitched in here I'd been on a streak of 5 or so Yorion opponents.

Glad I've been hoarding gold like a maniac if another anthology's coming up. Still a bit annoyed at myself I skipped the first one but such is life.

im doing ok with this fun deck based on cgb shark nest
Companion
1 Jegantha, the Wellspring (IKO) 222

Deck
4 Eliminate (M21) 97
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Clearwater Pathway (ZNR) 260
4 Thirst for Meaning (THB) 74
4 Jwari Disruption (ZNR) 64
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
2 Forest (SLD) 108
5 Swamp (SLD) 105
3 Island (SLD) 102
3 Zagoth Triome (IKO) 259
3 Extinction Event (IKO) 88
2 Negate (ZNR) 71
4 Whirlwind Denial (THB) 81
3 Shark Typhoon (IKO) 67
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Muse (THB) 208
2 Garruk, Cursed Huntsman (ELD) 191
4 Titans' Nest (IKO) 212
4 Heartless Act (IKO) 91
1 Woe Strider (THB) 123

Sideboard

its in standard, I love to play around nest from time to time. Not for too long as its gameplay is annoying
That does look kinda neat but it'd hit my wildcard reserves fairly heavily. Actually not quite as bad as I thought, 5 rare 1 mythic. Hm.... The unfortunate part is 2 nests are part of that and those are snugly in jank territory, but a couple sharknados and another triome wouldn't be too bad. Technically I know sharknado is really good, but I also very rarely play slower control decks like this. May give it a whirl though, thanks Luka!

I'll have to look again.

errrnnnngghhhh
It's in Kaladesh remastered!

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Want that goddamn Serum Visions sleeve since I like that art, but 17% off is still too pricey. Talked myself out of all cosmetics in MTGA except for when they did the rare 98% discounts when they first started daily deals and I'm not gonna break down yet.

id play non lurrus rogues. Even more fun in historic. Those pesky yorion decks usually are light or pack no counter spells at all.
DAMNATION. Although I have played some rogues in historic and it is kind of fun. Just like it's nice to play mono blue tempo in historic and counter people ramping into Ugin and shit. Yorion was driving me up the fucking wall last night though, Jesus H Christ. Didn't help that when I bitched in here I'd been on a streak of 5 or so Yorion opponents.

Glad I've been hoarding gold like a maniac if another anthology's coming up. Still a bit annoyed at myself I skipped the first one but such is life.

im doing ok with this fun deck based on cgb shark nest
Companion

Deck
4 Eliminate (M21) 97
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Clearwater Pathway (ZNR) 260
4 Thirst for Meaning (THB) 74
4 Jwari Disruption (ZNR) 64
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
2 Forest (SLD) 108
5 Swamp (SLD) 105
3 Island (SLD) 102
3 Extinction Event (IKO) 88
2 Negate (ZNR) 71
4 Whirlwind Denial (THB) 81
3 Shark Typhoon (IKO) 67
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Muse (THB) 208
2 Garruk, Cursed Huntsman (ELD) 191
4 Titans' Nest (IKO) 212
4 Heartless Act (IKO) 91
1 Woe Strider (THB) 123

Sideboard

its in standard, I love to play around nest from time to time. Not for too long as its gameplay is annoying
That does look kinda neat but it'd hit my wildcard reserves fairly heavily. Actually not quite as bad as I thought, 5 rare 1 mythic. Hm.... The unfortunate part is 2 nests are part of that and those are snugly in jank territory, but a couple sharknados and another triome wouldn't be too bad. Technically I know sharknado is really good, but I also very rarely play slower control decks like this. May give it a whirl though, thanks Luka!

I'll have to look again.

errrnnnngghhhh
It's in Kaladesh remastered!

ayy, that card finally caused me to make a historic deck. I'll probably be building it over the next month or two when I have time, but i might get a crazy idea and sperg it all out at once.

I'm a slow deck builder, but sometimes I got an idea of what I want to try and a deck comes together quickly.

I understand the basic concept of how to use the card, but I need time to come up with some crazy loops, of which I already have a possible turn 3 / 4 infinite loop in mind to really make people rage quit.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
you can always try with what you have, without burning wildcards. My version is basically that.
Sharknado is cgb meme, this deck is basically about playing high threats cheaply. Just fill blanks with tutors and see if you wish to commit wildcards.

Nest is wonderous jank that keeps on giving. I shall create controly historic deck out of this at some point, possibly just throw every planeswalker i can as singleton.

To interest you in nest further, here is my ultimate annoying jank I did a while back in historic. Havent touch it for a while... thinking about it most of my decks are outdated as its rare for me to edit old decks, yet I keep playing them
Deck
4 Desecrated Tomb (M19) 230
4 Titans' Nest (IKO) 212
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Skull Prophet (IKO) 206
4 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
4 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237
4 Stitcher's Supplier (M19) 121
4 Bastion of Remembrance (IKO) 73
3 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
3 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Woodland Cemetery (DAR) 248
1 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
2 Syr Konrad, the Grim (ELD) 107
2 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
2 Muldrotha, the Gravetide (DAR) 199
3 Llanowar Elves (M19) 314
annoying thing about it is client not giving you control automatically when you want it to. Without full control mode you cant use titan nest to generate bats at will or trigger syr

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm a bit of an autist, whenever a new set comes out, I buy all the rare lands first thing with my wild cards.

Unless there is a card that looks really great for a current deck I have of course.

you can always try with what you have, without burning wildcards. My version is basically that.
Sharknado is cgb meme, this deck is basically about playing high threats cheaply. Just fill blanks with tutors and see if you wish to commit wildcards.

Nest is wonderous jank that keeps on giving. I shall create controly historic deck out of this at some point, possibly just throw every planeswalker i can as singleton.

To interest you in nest further, here is my ultimate annoying jank I did a while back in historic. Havent touch it for a while... thinking about it most of my decks are outdated as its rare for me to edit old decks, yet I keep playing them
Deck
4 Desecrated Tomb (M19) 230
4 Titans' Nest (IKO) 212
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Skull Prophet (IKO) 206
4 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
4 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237
4 Stitcher's Supplier (M19) 121
4 Bastion of Remembrance (IKO) 73
3 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
3 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Woodland Cemetery (DAR) 248
1 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
2 Syr Konrad, the Grim (ELD) 107
2 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
2 Muldrotha, the Gravetide (DAR) 199
3 Llanowar Elves (M19) 314
annoying thing about it is client not giving you control automatically when you want it to. Without full control mode you cant use titan nest to generate bats at will or trigger syr
Konrad with nest is hilarious. When Eldraine came out I was all excited to try to jank it up with Konrad but since Eldraine also added EVERY OVERPOWERED CARD EVER PRINTED I think I spent one evening playing with him before I shelved 'em and cried myself to sleep. Speaking of full control, you can technically force it without going into the options. Tap ctrl and that puts you in full control, and tap again to leave it. Useful for the occasional situation where the game client will fuck you, like when you're trying to play Goblin Meatspinner and give it death touch and by default MTGA will let the ability trigger on the stack before giving you control again. You still gotta remember to hit ctrl of course so it's not as nice as the client letting you pass priority automatically, but it does let you flail your arms if you want to interject and do stuff.

Tried the Luka-special and it's damn fun. I was skeptical of Whirlwind Denial at first for example until I was matched against a dimir rogue deck that was playing (And resolved) a sharknado, and then denial just absolutely fucking destroyed him later on. In fact the buttfucking that rogue had was so profound that I'm still laughing about it. Of course as soon as I start playing that deck all wh*tes vanish from the matchmaker (Except for one mono-wh*te who nearly killed me until I could pull an Exitinction Event out to take care of the protection) but such is life.

Substitutions I made are as follows: The two missing Titans' Nests I replaced with Solemn Simulacrums (Standard ass ramp (Not the same as chewing graveyard for mana but similar) and card draw and still in the 4cmc spot. Seemed fine), the two missing sharknados and one missing Ashiok I replaced with Mazemind Tomes (Help draw/dig through library to find shit to do heavy lifting, ideally to make that single sharknado pop out more reliably, and a slight bit of lifegain) and then the one missing triome with another basic land to help cover my ass with the robots and passages. Almost tempting to remove Jegantha so I can run shit like the mythic blue land since having a really lard-ass cmc like that is good for the nests and for sharknado, and the draw that has would be useful. I suppose Fae of Wishes and then wishboarding may not be bad either as a big manadump for nest. Regardless, fun stuff!

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Tried the Luka-special and it's damn fun. I was skeptical of Whirlwind Denial at first for example until I was matched against a dimir rogue deck that was playing (And resolved) a sharknado, and then denial just absolutely fucking destroyed him later on.
wait for peer into abyss matchup :)

In fact the buttfucking that rogue had was so profound that I'm still laughing about it
myself i just crushed rogues that placed 3 enforcers early, by generating mana into void. Single woe strider is for rogue matchups when my opponent got heavy counterspell hand

Gyor

Savant
I got one of these on a random historic pack I bought.

Seems fun!

Star-of-Extinction-XLN-265.jpg

That will pair very well with Taunting Basher.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
My client is fucked again and basic troubleshooting did nothing.

Now I am contemplating, sacrifice two hours of delving error reports, making fresh installs and trying random unrelated bullshit to get this shit game to work again so I can collect all three quests before they get reset by the next expansion for ~2000 gold, or say fuck it, wait for the update, and download the updated client next and hope they fixed my bug?

Decisions, decisions...

Perkel

Arcane
Tomorrow is release of MTG Arena on tablets/mobile. Seems like perfect game for tablet between home and work.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
JS5MZXp.jpg

Need blessings for my PC, thing caught a few cyberdemons trying to get MTGA working again.
PC didn't boot after driver updates until I removed Wlan stick from USB motherboard extension thing. Idk what the hell was happening there, did the oc try to boot from the fucking Wlan Stick?
Nervous to try to start the programm again, will probably unity crash as before.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Got it working shortly after posting the priest. Did about a thousand small things, but the big gamechanger was cleaning some MTGA folders in %appdata/roaming%. Those survived uninstalls, even with dedicated programms to do a true uninstall and sweep all remaining data. One of those must hace had corrupted information. That or changing the client language to German was what did the trick, that is less likely tho.

Just in case someone has similar problems so they don't spend 4 hours almost bricking their PC over stupid digital card games.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
surprisingly, launch without hiccups?
Had quite a bomb premier WB draft deck with kaya, doomskar, that instant that generates zombies on deaths and plenty of disables/removal. Finished 2-3 as shuffler didnt want me to have fun today.

That foretold 2card discard is amazing. Maybe mono b discard deck would work in historic now? Especially if you target surge of players trying to cheat ulamog/ugin on turn2

Perkel

Arcane
It is out for mobile. 0 issues. If your phone doesn't support it via google play store youcan download apk and obb and side install it and it should work. You need around 5GB.

You can't be logged on pc and mobile at the same time.
You can play cross platform with PC

Great that playing with friends now counts toward dailies. It wasn't like this few months ago.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Any special bonus for playing on mobile?

I can't imagine trying to play this game on phone, it'd be a nightmare trying to select cards and move things around.

edit..

Also, Kaldheim seems to be out.

PlayKaldehim is the free booster pack code.

Last edited:
Looks like they're stiffing us a bit on gems again. Either that or I've forgotten how many gems is appropriate. One interesting new change is that there are playsets of rares scattered throughout the mastery pass, lasting nearly up to the end. Awkward in one respect since that kinda fucks you up a little when it comes to cracking packs before the pass is done (And draft, arguably) since it would suck to hit a rare card stage of the pass and just get some gems out of it. Assuming you get the extra cards in gems and it's not just a case of "lol you already have these so you don't get shit" which is how they've changed duplicates for preconstructed decks like the starter decks now. I'm too lazy to check the rares to see if they're outside of the normal set (Like if they're commander-only cards or buy a box promos or whatever, oddities that aren't in the regular set but are standard legal) but playsets of rares IN THEORY are a nice reward, the only drawback is since they're throughout the pass they're a kick in the balls if you want to open early. Bit similar to the set-specific mythic ICRs I suppose. Haven't got anything to say about the actual set of course since I guess I'll be sitting on my packs for lord knows how long until I dig what I can/want out of limited and now I guess wait for the next fucking set to release before opening Kaldheim packs.

God tribal anybody?

More accurately though, world tree is just good shit even if you ignore gods entirely. Basically just chromatic lantern stuck on a tapland which is obscenely good, it's not even legendary so very little reason to feel bad about running it in a deck. 4-5 color goodshit is going to go fucking bonkers and I HATE IT.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I've been getting a ton of Gems lately, I average 80 or so "free" gems each day just from free play wins

My wild cards have mostly been coming up gems lately.

I even spent some just to buy packs and I still got some left over for the season pass that just reset.

Grinding out wins right now with the few new kaldheim cards i have.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Apparently if you cast this from the dual sided card:

63280--tergrid-s-lantern-full.jpg

and it gets bounced or temporarily exiled, it comes back as the creature version of the card. Oh well, I still spanked the other dude.

63280-tergrid-god-of-fear-full.jpg

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Sometimes I swear this game is just giving me hands and cards because of the retardedness I come up with.

I've bought a total of 8 packs for Kaldheim, and gotten the 3 free packs of kaldheim.

5 of the packs I just now bought so that was 7 packs before and I got this retard for my white black blue deck

ea7e4c65-b4c4-4795-9475-3cba71c50ea5.jpg

After somehow getting this card for an unreasonable amount of games I've played (and spanking people with it, nobody expects red nonsense from a white black blue deck)

I bought a few more packs and suddenly get 2 more tibalt's. Guess I'll be rocking a full set of these retards in my white black blue deck now.

Max butthurt incoming.

Perkel

Arcane
Any special bonus for playing on mobile?

I can't imagine trying to play this game on phone, it'd be a nightmare trying to select cards and move things around.

Just tested it you do need a lot of VRAM (like 4-5gb) but mediacore CPU (my mid range from 2017 plays it around 25fps).
But it works actually really well on mobile screen. I am surprised by just how well it works mechanically on mobile.
Though when they will release tablet version it naturally should be default way to play it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I wish they released new sets slower -.- This game is hard work to keep up with. Seems like some interesting cards, OP as hell as usual. Looked like a new fires deck.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I wish they released new sets slower -.- This game is hard work to keep up with. Seems like some interesting cards, OP as hell as usual. Looked like a new fires deck.

My strategy is to just use the mythics and rare cards I get from free booster packs. (i'll splash some commons and uncommons into my deck too if they can replace cards while adding something better)

Then build decks from that. I've barely spent any money on this game.

Save your wildcards for at least a week to see what the min/max players decide on. Then spend ur wild cards on things to fuck up the "consensus"

Then just continue with that strategy forward and you will get plenty of easy wins and wild cards as a result.

Besides, most bitches are just hiding right now because they don't want to lose their mythic rank. There is still like 2 days left in the season, so I'm basically playing against retards who aren't worried about losing ranks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom