Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
ikora pack for 900, greed intensified

John Keel

Savant
How many packs are you going to crack tomorrow ?

I think I'm going to aim for max 60~, fewer if I open 4 faithless or 4 brainstorm but that's very unlikely

Can't wait to open 4x ultra garbage double pwr XXG sorcery and trash lessons

:thumbsup:

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
How many packs are you going to crack tomorrow ?

None. As usual I am gonna just play a fuckton of Sealed for a month or so, then crack the 50ish packs I accumulate with that.
As I have 10k gems atm that should last me a while.
I am very salty however, as due to the meltdown over Unity errors I laid out in this thread I will end the Mastery Pass at level 75. At least I still got the fancy card pack, but one level below 200 gems extra.

Jason Liang

Arcane
This looks more like a wildcard set than a playset set to me. I usually only get non-discount packs for sets have multiple rares that I want playsets of (i.e. sets that have good dual lands), otherwise I just go for wildcards especially if the set only has good cards at mythic. The Snarls are pretty low for a dual land cycle, and a lot of the good stuff in this set is at uncommon, and even the top rares are not things I'd play a full playset of. I tend to rate multicolor spells much lower than most players, since in the history of Magic, only a tiny handful of multicolor spells ever see heavy play in eternal formats (and those that do are nearly all u/x like T3feri, Dack or Oko). Multicolor cards have to be on the level of Bloodbraid Elf, Abrupt Decay, Ass Trophy, Growth Spiral, etc...

Even in Arena, what was the last multicolor spell that sees as much play as Embercleave, Great Henge, Bonecrusher Giant, etc...?

Last edited:

John Keel

Savant
This looks more like a wildcard set than a playset set to me. I usually only get non-discount packs for sets have multiple rares that I want playsets of (i.e. sets that have good dual lands), otherwise I just go for wildcards especially if the set only has good cards at mythic. The Snarls are pretty low for a dual land cycle, and a lot of the good stuff in this set is at uncommon, and even the top rares are not things I'd play a full playset of. I tend to rate multicolor spells much lower than most players, since in the history of Magic, only a tiny handful of multicolor spells ever see heavy play in eternal formats (and those that do are nearly all u/x like T3feri, Dack or Oko). Multicolor cards have to be on the level of Bloodbraid Elf, Abrupt Decay, Ass Trophy, Growth Spiral, etc...

Even in Arena, what was the last multicolor spell that sees as much play as Embercleave, Great Henge, Bonecrusher Giant, etc...?

If you're heavy into historic, opening strix pack is kind of worth it as ~25% of the mystic archives are Rare, ontop of the usual rare.

Granted most of them are fucking garbage, but a select few aren't... but yeah I absolutely don't give a fuck about most of everything in std Strix, bare a few cards and as you're saying the great ones are mostly uncommons....

I just can't bring myself to craft commons/uncommons upshifted to rare, this is the historic wildcard costx2 debacle all over again, but successful this time

:flamesaw:

Gyor

Savant
When the AFR set comes out, keep an eye out for Fizban if it even has Planeswalkers, because in an other wise FR centric has two UAs, the one glaring exception is a spell with Fizban's name on it (Fizban is from Dragonlance), and there are at least 1 or more Planeswalkers that are from another Plane/World then where the set is taking place in every set as far as I know since they started doing Planeswalkers.

Newfag-er

Liturgist
It would appear that there is going to be an event on the imitation of college competition in Arena

It is mostly participation feel good kind of event and the rewards are mostly cosmetics
What really I found interesting is that it appears that one of the biggest arena esport event with real money prize pool is now sealed only :M

It is pretty clever they choose to do this as it could force the participle to spend more money on entries
First of all you do not have to worry about having the cards u need to be competitive
Also since your performance is partly base on pure rng rather then metagame decisions. There is more incentive to attempt a different entry for a better selection of cards

mxy6BxT.png

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
time to play in paper again, also is this new release not fast compared to usual?

It feels like they do nothing but pump out new product lately

John Keel

Savant
Who's going to abuse Timewarp + sanctuary + blink ?

Prolly going to be a degenerate all day with this combo o//

ps: Historic is chokefull of the fucking sultai ultimatum sphinx deck, goddamn mtgtop8

John Keel

Savant
w01qMC3.png

I'm pissed it's all garbage, 0 brainstorm 0 faithless looting only 1 Timewarp

PlayStrixhaven for 3 packs

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Fucking hell I just logged in, yet another new set?! I just got owned by the most uber card I've ever seen. Have you see that card Fracture? I will be having 4 of those in every single deck. Humiliate looks good too but I don't use creatures much. Killian Ink Duelist looks op too. Holy shit Vanishing Verse! That's retarded. Yep another set, another leap in the arms race. Silverquill Silencer looks like a fun waste of rares, althoguh linked up with that Humiliate... ouch. I hate being discarded.

Keeping up with mtg is full time!

Jason Liang

Arcane
I went 6-3 in Premiere Draft with a fairly average Silverquill.
- First loss was to Quandrix, I didn't notice he had 8 land to activate the Kelpie and got tapped out.
- Second loss was to Lorehold, he burst for 16 damage with two Magecraft dudes in one turn, his two cards in hand were both instants (Infuriate and whatever it was fucking Show of Confidence). Oops, should have blocked.
- Final loss was a Silverquill mirror, but he had the Elder Dragon and I got choked on 3 land.

mtga-2021-031.jpg

mtga-2021-029.jpg

Not too unpleased, considering I opened 0 bombs (and none were passed to me either). I guess listening to LSV on youtube for 8 hours paid off.

Overall, I think Silverquill needs to pick removal heavily to succeed and manage mana well. Expels came to me pretty late in the draft.

Would rate the cards thus-
Inquisition of Kozilek - 7ish? Final game I opened with this and saw all his spells were > 3 cmc. At least I knew the Elder Dragon was coming.

Unwilling Ingredient - 5 Playable, gets in some damage, good chump blocker, mana sink.

Zephyr Boots - 6 Playable, flying and looting are ok, although you need some other card draw to make the looting good.

Study Break - 4 A pretty good lesson, you'll probably pick this up late and play it in Silverquill since it's one of the only common lessons and you'll want them to fetch Inkling summoning. Really puts Silverquill into aggro-tempo territory.

Arrogant Poet - 3. You can generally keep the ground clear, so the flying doesn't matter until mid to late game. Still pretty good as a removal magnet.

Flunk - 7ish. It's decent for Silverqull to hold 2 mana for this, although I typically cast it for -3/-3 or -4/-4 so it's not perfect. Good for sniping some legendaries like the deans or Mavina (which was one use for it).

Hunt for Specimens - 4 I think the Pests were pretty low impact, but they are alright as sacrifice protection (for example Umbral Juke).

Silverquill Apprentice - 4 He was mostly just a bear, his ability is probably worth about 2-3 damage. Good synergy with life link creatures.

Silverquill Silencer - 5. His ability never really activated, mostly just a chump blocker, maybe get in for 3 if you get him down early.

Vanishing Verse - 6. Kind of bad as a lot of the creatures and all the tokens are multicolor. I used it to get rid of the Fencing Lesson enchantment in the final match. Instant speed is decent.

Expel - 7. A little hard to hold up 3 mana, but you could also cast it on your turn so you don't necessarily need to hold up mana for it. Can kill that dumb Quandrix Kelp tapper.

Promising Duskmage - 1. Pretty terrible, would not take this unless it was like last 3 cards in a pack, but sometimes Silverquill lacks bodies.

Umbral Juke - 4. It's a 3 mana sacrifice effect, most. Unfortunately there's too many random mooks and tokens for this to be useful for that.

Silverquill Pledgemage - 6. One of the only good Silverquill creatures, the lifelink is ofcouse useful for racing and flying is fine too if you can't clear the ground.

Specter of the Fens - 5. I have to rate this one pretty low, I lost the Quandrix match because I kept this instead of Arrogant Poet

Mage Hunter's Onslaught - 6. Not premium removal but Silverquill will need every copy you draft.

Exhilarating Elocution - 4. It's mostly 2 +1/+1 counters and activating your Magecraft abilities.

Pillardrop Rescuer - 4. I wouldn't take this too early. You need one of your chumps to die and your chumps in Silverquill aren't exactly high value regrowth targets. I ended up pitching this to Zephyr boots most often.

Tenured Inkcaster - 5. You'll probably take this to activate the Silverqull +1/+1 counter theme. A fairly solid creature for Silverquill.

Owlin Shieldmage - 7. Probably the best creature in Silverquill, you have to take this pretty early since it gets drafted quite high. Probably wont wheel.

Summon Inkling - 6. Probably don't need more than 2 of these, I got passed this pretty late. Study Break or Gathering Specimens into this is pretty standard play for Silverquill. If you open one early, probably 50% it will wheel. Would rate this only behind Prismari's 4/4 elementals, and ahead of Lorehold's 3/2 spirit tokens.

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Installing the update now, time to try out this new set.

I haven't done much research on the set, so lets see what I can buy with my 10,000 gold i got saved up.

Highlights of the first few packs i've opened so far. Mystical archives has been meh so far

d1c038e6-2346-4544-bea1-b64098f63f23.jpg

harness-infinity.jpg

valentin-dean-of-the-vein-extended-art-15579-medium.jpg

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmm, I wonder if this creates the tokens after it destroys all creatures.

It would be awesome if it works that way, i'm not ready to drop a wild card on it just yet, but i might soon, in the process of sifting through the cards and buying stuff.

0141312f-4b68-4c56-b1dc-5b7e6afbb96c.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom