Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Read the card broloknulf

Yah, my question is about the order of effects on the card. I guess I could read through all the mtg rules, but i find it easier to just get a card and use it.

Ie.. lets say I spent X mana, It would "Create X tapped 2/1 white and black Inkling creature tokens with flying."

Then the card would process through the "If'.. ie " If X is 6 or more, destroy all noncreature, nonland permanents."

My question is about the resolution of effects on the card. Usually there is a clear qualifier word such as:

*Create X THEN If X = 6 or more Destroy
*Create X AND If X = 6 or Destroy

Jason Liang

Arcane
is draft any fun?
basically can I make a 5 color pile of rares and get away with some goofy ass decks?
I hated kaldheim I think the last set I actually enjoyed was ikoria
10,000 gold is a significant investment so it's at least semi-competitive. Obviously if you open a bomb or get passed one early then go for it. I would either go for two color, or three color with a dominant color, and splash into two school colors.

For example, if you open Professor Onyx, you'll want to be in black and draft a white and/or green splash. Prioritize hybrid mana bombs and modal bombs, you want to stay a little flexible until you've seen most of the packs in the first round. If you get passed a bomb, go ahead and take it.

If you just want to rare draft, it's better to wait until next month for quick drafts.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Read the card broloknulf

Yah, my question is about the order of effects on the card. I guess I could read through all the mtg rules, but i find it easier to just get a card and use it.

Ie.. lets say I spent X mana, It would "Create X tapped 2/1 white and black Inkling creature tokens with flying."

Then the card would process through the "If'.. ie " If X is 6 or more, destroy all noncreature, nonland permanents."

My question is about the resolution of effects on the card. Usually there is a clear qualifier word such as:

It's not a Wrath.

To be fair, this is probably a flavor fail.

John Keel

Savant
Read the card broloknulf

it does not destroy creatures

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Read the card broloknulf

It's not a Wrath.

True, I guess I should reword that.

My question is the same though, does it resolve one of the effects or BOTH of the effects if X = 6 or more.

Newfag-er

Liturgist
Ikoria draft was excellent experience for me

I think that was my best set when it comes to drafting. I got a few runs where I broke even

Also mutate was really fun to play despite cycling domination

Unless there is tri lands like Ikoria three color manabase is taking a big risk

Jason Liang

Arcane
Read the card broloknulf

It's not a Wrath.

True, I guess I should reword that.

My question is the same though, does it resolve one of the effects or BOTH of the effects if X = 6 or more.
Yes, the card will do both effects if x = 6 or more. You will get x tapped tokens and then it will sweep all non-creatures on the field.

Shitposter
is draft any fun?
basically can I make a 5 color pile of rares and get away with some goofy ass decks?
I hated kaldheim I think the last set I actually enjoyed was ikoria
10,000 gold is a significant investment so it's at least semi-competitive. Obviously if you open a bomb or get passed one early then go for it. I would either go for two color, or three color with a dominant color, and splash into two school colors.

For example, if you open Professor Onyx, you'll want to be in black and draft a white and/or green splash. Prioritize hybrid mana bombs and modal bombs, you want to stay a little flexible until you've seen most of the packs in the first round. If you get passed a bomb, go ahead and take it.

If you just want to rare draft, it's better to wait until next month for quick drafts.

well I have the rest of today off so I'll reinstall the game and do drunk rare drafts for lulz
i'll let you know how it goes

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I didn't think you could pull mythical archive cards that easily, but I just got a Time Warp from a random pack I opened.

Noice.

:what:

Jesus. My high roller raredraft is an absolute fucking shitshow. Ended up Rakdos and splashing wh*te for a couple cards and my general game plan is "Play removal, hope opponent does absolutely nothing, hope over-costed garbage creatures get in". Thought for sure I was going to lose my first match but I made a swole Tome Shredder (Got to 8/8) constantly cockblocking my opponent's shit and eating stuff with combat tricks and even though he was getting wide enough he should've won, the silly bastard conceded. He probably thought my hand was better than it was. Still don't expect to get many wins with this deck but I'm glad I got one at least since that guarantees my welfare booster for the month.

Didn't get any particularly good/exciting cards from the draft either. Got 12 rare/mythic but nothing that dramatic. Doom Blade's upshifted but black's got a bunch of good recent removal so I'm leery on it being that great for historic. Mizzix's Mastery is some good memery though, and upshifted Stone Rain could be good because I've never gone full land destruction in Arena. Liking a lot of the art in the set though, hadn't been following spoilers very closely and the archive cards are really cool and I actually dig a lot of the regular art in the set as well. Wish it was more wild and creative as old art as always but it's pretty cool, and the mythic archive art kinda scratches that itch. Forehead pussy is appealing as much as I like elf abuse.

Edit: Gameplan took me to another win. Unfortunately even after tanking my limited rating those two wins got me back into silver so I don't know that the good times will last, but damn. Closed it out with pings from Specter of the Fens and then an Urza's Rage to the dome. Feeling mighty conflicted on the learn/lesson mechanic. It does seem like a largely worse version of adventure (Since it fucks with your sideboard and is more vulnerable to hand disruption, regardless of the card strength) but it's interesting in limited at the very least.

Double plus edit: Huh, I'll be damned. Looked at the orb tree for the first time and they've got avatars in there now. Same art as they had for the sleeves a while back, which is pretty good. Not sure if I'll shitcan Fblthp but I do quite like that dumbass elephant. Orc waifus are cool and all but if I'm going to have an avatar in a children's card game it's going to be a cowering cyclops or a fat retarded elephant. The orc waifu IS nice though, liked some of her card art and Izzet's always good.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
2nd draft, went 7-1 with Quandrix.

mtga-2021-032.jpg

mtga-2021-033.jpg

My thoughts are that Quandrix is SLOW. You have to keep mana up and cards in your hand (for example for Manifestation Sage). Basic strategy is to make a big fatty, give it flying with Zephyr Boots, and protect it from removal by holding up Snakeskin Veil. You just have to have a lot of patience, make defense plays and try not to lose too much life early.

I actually realized that I had drafted wrong after the 3rd pack, since I had gone with a Bitterbloom splash when I should have been picking up Prismari, which was super open. My first pull was Manifestation Sage, 2nd pull was Tempted by the Oriq, and then I got the Frost Trickster like 3rd pack and Decisive Denial 4th pack. Still I was worried that I didn't have enough removal and I didn't have a lot of the Quandrix bombs. But I had decent mana luck (got flooded in my loss vs. a fast Silverquill, couldn't quite stabilize despite trading) and my opponents didn't pull any bombs except my 6th opponent who dropped a 28/28 Body of Research on curve but couldn't find a way of giving it trample over my endless chumps.

Some card notes-
Charge Through- 3. Never did anything but it does cycle easily. Would not pick it high.
Zephyr Boots - Very good for Quandrix.
Prismari Pledgemage - 6. Solid body if you need one early to help defend. I would not pick them high though since they wheel.
Decisive Denial - 7. Decent. Did not do too much fighting, but I did use it to counter a Natural Order (!).
Frost Trickster - 7. Probably a little overrated, obviously it never wheels. But you need a lot of bodies, I kept drawing it as my only creature so never got to really leverage it. Still, flying is the way.
Kelpie Guide - 8. Got passed this 3rd pack about 5th pick. It's obviously insane, won my 2 games, and I was able to ramp to 8 land to activate it pretty early.
Pop Quiz - 4. I didn't get passed too many learn cards. This was ok, kind of like an expensive Opt, fits with Quandrix since you are leaving mana up for counterspells and other plays.
Biomathematician - 5. It's ok but a little overrated since I didn't see any wheel. Again, he's best not played on curve, you want to cast other Fractals first, which is meh.
Serpentine Curve - 4. I think I cast it once for a 7/7 but I already had my opponent in the air so it didn't really matter. It's a nice "body" for Quandrix.
Tempted by the Oriq - 8. Was great, let me steal opponents' best early plays three times, once was a Dragonscale Elite (?), 2nd was the Quandrix girl (who didn't do much but good denial), and 3rd was opponent's Frost Trickster.
Professor of Zoomancy - 7. The backbone of Quandrix, he did a large part of my total damage and traded with my opponents' big fractals, etc... I'm glad I got passed 2.
Eureka Moment - 4. Very slow. Hard to have the mana to cast this, but Quandrix does need it to ramp to 8/ Kelpie. I would not run more than 1 next time I draft Quandrix, drawing both really clogged my hand a few times.
Manifestation Sage - 7. Probably a little overrated. She *does* help you stabilize early if you have her in your opening hand, but I always played her as a turn 5 play to hold up mana for Snakeskin Veil. You also can't cast too much early so that you can make a decent 5/5 fractal. So if I drew her I would just hold up mana for counterspells etc... until turn 5, basically.
Bury in Books - 6. A really good removal in blue, good against tokens. Not as good as Expel though. It definitely saved me a few times.
Snow Day - 6. Helps to stabilize. Getting to 6 mana and casting this was usually the turning point in my matches. A very good pickup for Quandrix.
Fractal Summoning, Elemental Summoning, Expanded Anatomy - I had 1 copy of each and never casted any of them. I always went for Fractal Summoning but always had stuff to cast so couldn't find a turn to tap out for it.
Access Tunnel, Scry land - never used either. Would probably not draft or play with Access Tunnel in the future.

You guys not getting daily quests/gold/mastery pass XP progress/weekly wins/etc down at the bottom of the main page? Mine's been missing basically all day.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Hmm, I wonder if this creates the tokens after it destroys all creatures.

It would be awesome if it works that way, i'm not ready to drop a wild card on it just yet, but i might soon, in the process of sifting through the cards and buying stuff.

0141312f-4b68-4c56-b1dc-5b7e6afbb96c.jpg
I bet it does. It looks like a modern version of Martial Coup which I used to use a lot. This is even better! There are a lot of super powerful cards though. I like playing at this time and seeing people trying all sorts of wacky shit and there is no real meta established yet. It is so cool. Personally I always regret spending my wildcards at this point. Usually a week or so later I start seeing insanely OP cards and I always think GAHHH WHY DIDNT I SAVE MY WILDCARDS FOR THAT! Gonna try to resist doing that this time.

John Keel

Savant
A Fool And His Money Are Soon Parted

Read the fucking card shanikaquafina, it destroys non-creatures non-lands perms

John Keel

Savant
You're the one talking about betting money on it working like Martial coup moron

This is anything except martial coup, your reading skills makes you basically a pajeet, no wonder you burn your wildcards on garbage

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
in before brainfart and faithless looting get banned. Will probably be opening my packs before enouncement to get those sweet wc

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom