Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Dhaze

Cipher
Reads like it's from the latest version to me. Good, but sad post. Thanks for doing what I didn't want to devote time to doing, Dhaze.

Glad to be of service. I've lurked a long time on these forums, and found a lot of good information. Figured it might be time to contribute a little bit.

You are telling me this is still in the game all this time later? This is stupendously retarded, and was even directly brought to the developers attention who agreed that they severily failed on their 5th grade math check there.
3d6 would be roughly equal to 1d6+6, 3d6 has 10,5 average as compared to 9,5 or 1d6+6 but 1d6+6 is much more nonvolatile. 2d6 is a 7, worse than 1d6+4.

It seemed completely nonsensical to me, so upon noticing that I ran a quick couple of tests to see if I should go back to school, but yes, that's how the game works for some reason. Weapon rolls, burglary, hacking, it's all the same system.

With 6 dices in Hacking, I tried to hack a terminal and the log wrote it as — Rolled 19 [4] [5] [2] [2] [5] [1]
With 6 dices and 5 pips — Rolled 26 [6] [5] [3] [5] [1] [1] — so here we have 6 rolls totaling 21, and though the 5 pips are not mentionned in the log they are in fact included in the total.

Then as soon as you add a sixth pip, it forms another dice. I would have understood, had the game given you another dice after 3 pips, but as it is it's mind-boggling.

Quick, hilarious note: played a half hour more, and found a cool-looking blue spear. Gave it to a companion who replied with "I can make use of this." Then he immediately dropped to the ground, dead in his own blood (nothing in the log to indicate what happened). Actual laugh-out-loud moment for me. Poor guy ended his suffering, didn't wan't to be in that game anymore.

And so it goes, the exact same way each time, for all the factions I've found—save one, the Cyberfreaks, whose boss I somehow convinced to lend me troops after I had mowed down about 150 of his guys. No social check even (my character had 0 dice -4 in social)! Just picked the 'hey, alliance?' dialogue option, and there we go, out of nowhere, we're best buds now.

To be fair if you killed 150 of my guys and had a sudden change of heart I would accept it without complaining.

Sykar

Arcane
Dhaze forgot to mention that he pulled a Harry:
iu

:evilcodex:

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
You are telling me this is still in the game all this time later? This is stupendously retarded, and was even directly brought to the developers attention who agreed that they severily failed on their 5th grade math check there.
3d6 would be roughly equal to 1d6+6, 3d6 has 10,5 average as compared to 9,5 or 1d6+6 but 1d6+6 is much more nonvolatile. 2d6 is a 7, worse than 1d6+4.

If this was actually on design by purpose and explained that way it could be an interesting progression system.
Do you temporarily become weaker to grow your character further?

Plenty of skills in real life, you have to go backwards to move forward.

Made-up Skill Example: Programming:
You started it out in VBasic! but you have reached the limits and mastered everything there is about Basic, Welcome 1d+5.
Do you want to level up to Java having to learn again and replace your 1d+5 with 2d?

Replace the above with schools of fighting etc, etc.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Makes a lot of sense when you think of it applied to fighting systems: Got good at shooting? Now chop your index finger off and learn to pull the trigger with the middle one! Slaying foes with your knife is becoming too easy? Go left-handed to get back that rush of adrenaline!

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

If this was actually on design by purpose and explained that way it could be an interesting progression system.

Plenty of skills in real life, you have to go backwards to move forward.

Made-up Skill Example: Programming:
You started it out in VBasic! but you have reached the limits and mastered everything there is about Basic, Welcome 1d+5.
Do you want to level up to Java having to learn again and replace your 1d+5 with 2d?

Replace the above with schools of fighting etc, etc.

It doesn't apply to fighting at all. I go to an MMA gym. Yes, if you try to train a technique you do not know you will be bad at it for a while. Leglocks, takedowns, scrambles, guards, everyone has something he can polish up.
But you don't forget the other parts of your training while you are working on your weakpoints. The weaker fighter will not beat the stronger one in sparring just because the stronger one is currently training a new technique. As soon as he sees that a loss is possible, he will fall back to his superior techniques and win.

In a training environment you might say that some people take the loss to get better at the technique they are training faster. In a life or death situation noone will employ a worse technique to improve his skills faster. The system is ridiculous and reeks of bad math by retards, with some hacky cope on top.

Dhaze

Cipher
To be fair if you killed 150 of my guys and had a sudden change of heart I would accept it without complaining.

You piled the corpses of his henchmen sky-high, and so the big boss thinks to himself, "Be real, Larry Cyberfreak, what are you gonna do that 150 of your men couldn't? Man, I sure wish that guy offers me an alliance out of the blue. Otherwise, worst monday ever."

You should be tasked with writing the official codex review!

Does it pay well?

Fire a gun once. Relatively simple skill, available from the start. Let's say 1d6 as a basis. Roll 1 or 2: miss. Roll 3 or 4: hit, but it only grazes the enemy, does limited damage. Roll 5: hit, does ok damage. Roll 6: hit dead-on, does full damage (perhaps add a second roll for critical chance, or added effect such as cripple or botched toenail). Soon enough, upon reaching 1d6+5, you're always hitting.

But then you get the option to progress-regress from 1d6+5 to 2d6, at the same time unlocking a three-round burst fire, a more complicated skill. With burst fire, let's say anything below and including a 6 is a miss. Roll 7 or 8: graze, minimal damage with two bullets out of three, with values such that it's about as good as hitting dead-on with a single round. Roll 9 or 10: hit, ok damage with all three bullets. Roll 11 or 12: dominating. Upon reaching 2d6+5, you would never miss a simple single shot, and never outright miss with a burst but you would still have a chance to only graze with it.

Moving on to 3d6 would unlock full auto, or something like that.

That would require a massive amount of tweaking for a huge number of values (damage per round, hp, armor, evasion, perhaps % to hit depending on distance or adumbration, etc) in order to produce something that wouldn't aleniate every player, but if intrinsically tied to good skills, I can see it being implemented interestingly enough. I'd waste my time playtesting something like that.

Saduj

Arcane
The review posted earlier is accurate.

But I feel the need to pile on a bit and gripe about another system that utterly sucks: Item durability. Not a big fan of this in games in general. At best, it serves as a resource sink that doesn't waste too much of your time. But this is, by a wide margin, the worst implementation I've ever seen.

The first problem is that weapons and armor degrade very quickly. As in a knife will lose 1% of durability just about every time you score a hit. Repairing this stuff requires repair kits, which from what I've seen are not very common in the game. Even with a repair kit, you must make a successful repair roll in order to fully repair an item. I have a full die plus one pip in repair and it is still possible for me a fail a roll when trying to repair the lowest level knife in the game. Not only that, but repair kits stack and when I failed the roll, BOTH of my repair kits (which are somewhat rare remember, at least in early game) disappeared - along with the rifle that was in my inventory because of course that should happen. This wasn't the only time I had a repair kit disappear on me either and the other time it happened, I had never even tried to use it. I've also picked up items without having them appear in my inventory only to see them there later.

The solution to this would be to carry around a lot of extra gear. But inventory space is very limited in this game (at least it is if you're not going with a strength build, not sure how putting dice there changes things). The weapons and armor you have equipped remain in your backpack and take up a nice chunk of space there. Stuff like medkits, repair kits and quest items take up a decent portion of your inventory as well. If you're playing ranged, you also need to carry a backup melee weapon. You can carry a second knife but carrying a backup rifle or armor is pretty much out of the question. So you have items that degrade very quickly, no room for backup items, somewhat rare consumables required for repair, the possibility of failing repair rolls AND janky as fuck inventory that may rob you of repair kits (among other things) when you fail a roll or just at other random times because reasons.

TLDR - item durability is not only overly intrusive but also exacerbates the problems caused by the bugged out inventory system.

IMO, this is a game breaking issue.

Edit: I almost forgot - The only way to loot crates in this game is to destroy them. So another fun activity that broken item durability adds to this game is that every time you see some crates you want to bust open, you will find yourself unequipping your weapon so you can punch at the crate with your bare fists until it breaks.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

But I feel the need to pile on a bit and gripe about another system that utterly sucks: Item durability. Not a big fan of this in games in general. At best, it serves as a resource sink that doesn't waste too much of your time. But this is, by a wide margin, the worst implementation I've ever seen.

The first problem is that weapons and armor degrade very quickly. As in a knife will lose 1% of durability just about every time you score a hit. Repairing this stuff requires repair kits, which from what I've seen are not very common in the game. Even with a repair kit, you must make a successful repair roll in order to fully repair an item. I have a full die plus one pip in repair and it is still possible for me a fail a roll when trying to repair the lowest level knife in the game. Not only that, but repair kits stack and when I failed the roll, BOTH of my repair kits (which are somewhat rare remember, at least in early game) disappeared - along with the rifle that was in my inventory because of course that should happen. This wasn't the only time I had a repair kit disappear on me either and the other time it happened, I had never even tried to use it. I've also picked up items without having them appear in my inventory only to see them there later.

The solution to this would be to carry around a lot of extra gear. But inventory space is very limited in this game (at least it is if you're not going with a strength build, not sure how putting dice there changes things). The weapons and armor you have equipped remain in your backpack and take up a nice chunk of space there. Stuff like medkits, repair kits and quest items take up a decent portion of your inventory as well. If you're playing ranged, you also need to carry a backup melee weapon. You can carry a second knife but carrying a backup rifle or armor is pretty much out of the question. So you have items that degrade very quickly, no room for backup items, somewhat rare consumables required for repair, the possibility of failing repair rolls AND janky as fuck inventory that may rob you of repair kits (among other things) when you fail a roll or just at other random times because reasons.

TLDR - item durability is not only overly intrusive but also exacerbates the problems caused by the bugged out inventory system.

Edit: I almost forgot - The only way to loot crates in this game is to destroy them. So another fun activity that broken item durability adds to this game is that every time you see some crates you want to bust open, you will find yourself unequipping your weapon so you can punch at the crate with your bare fists until it breaks.

This is pretty impressive. I haven't even booted this thing and I'm irritated by its mechanics. GOTY!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
it's the first time in my life I create an account somewhere solely in order to talk about a game

Good review. If you've been lurking here and this isn't an alt, you should consider staying. Always need more new blood with critical thinking skills.

:what:

I remember when we were talking about it earlier in this very thread. This, combined with the continued existence of the same horrible flaws/side effects, make me think a lot of Day 1 issues were never fixed.

Dhaze

Cipher
The fack that he registered to write a post warning people against the game would make for a hell of a review introduction.

To add to that: I cannot find a single completed playthrough of this game anywhere, nor advice going further than what you would automatically discover on your own after an hour or two of play. Pretty much nobody is talking about it. The Steam forums, the GoG forums, the Official_Mechajammer subreddit, all are dead. On Youtube, I've found one playthrough aborted after roughly four hours of play; all the others videos are either short form reviews (mostly negative, or suspiciously glossing over the massive, glaring issues), or someone attempting to play but stopping shortly after the introduction, or the usual, dreadful and cringe-filled 'Look at this game, wow, all aboard the hypetrain' youtuber facecam fare.

Out of spite and sheer stupidity, I'm almost compelled to wade through the nauseating bog of bugs this game is just to finish it, because at this point I seriously doubt anyone has or ever will. It's like being fascinated by an unexpected, blood-soaked scene of absolute carnage: I want to look away, but can't.

Fully agreed.

I'll heap some more things on that landfill. I need to get this out of my system. It's exceptionnal when it happens, but this annoys me to an unreasonable degree.

— Drugs and cybernetics —
There are some drugs that, if I understand what's going on correctly, give you a temporary boost to this or that. Think in terms of better social skills. But in twenty hours of play, I've only found 9 units of those drugs out in the wild. So they're quite rare. There are also clinics of sorts to be found, that is merchants who only peddle health kits and drugs, but then the benefits of using these drugs is—from what I can see—so minimal that there's no real incentive to consume any; rather they simply take valuable space inventory.
And I have found one guy, at a manner of cyber-clinic, who very briefly mentionned implants. I'll be honest, for a heartbeat I got real excited there, thinking I could roleplay as Glory from Shadowrun: Dragonfall. But nope, that guy only sold health kits and drugs. Perhaps later on in the game there's something with cyber implants? Because when I stumbled upon the boss of the Cyberfreaks faction, and somehow, with a single line of dialogue, managed to strike an alliance with him, he replied with something to the tune of, "Yes. Allies. You and I, same. Metal and flesh." I don't know, so far it's a mystery to me.

— Companions and projectiles weapons —
Giving a companion a weapon happens very much like in Fallout 1 & 2; talk to them, then select the option to open the inventory, then drag the weapon from yours to theirs. Of course they also need ammo, but at least in my game—not sure if it was a bug or intended behavior—I was unable to give them more than one magazine worth of ammo at a time. Meaning I would give them a slug smg with a capacity for 16 rounds, after which I could give them a stack of 16 bullets and not one more. 16 rounds fired later, I would have to re-do the whole 'open their inventory and give them ammo' stuff. Not sure how the game manages weapon durability when it comes to companions; I couldn't be fucked to find out, and seeing how the weapon they use outright disappears from their inventory after giving it to them, I don't have the faintest idea on how I would go about investigating something like this.

— Health, healing, and wounds —
For every dice in the Pain Threshold attribute (well, virtue, as the game calls it), you get 10 health points. The base is 50 points, and that's what I played with. Health regenerates naturally, a feature I very much dislike in games, and it regenerates very quickly. If you're left with 1HP, all you have to do is wait a handful of seconds, and you're back at full health. You can also heal yourself with health kits, which heal a lot and contrary to repair kits apparently do not require a roll to succeed. I don't know what the action cost of using a health kit mid-fight is, but I can tell you I've used one in the middle of a fight when standing right next to a guy, and seemingly no time passed during my action. You can also go to your medic, who will heal you to full for the cost of letting 8 in-game hours fly by.

Wounds could have been interesting, and in fact are to a small extent, but that too is a terrible mess. Your head might get wounded, in which case you suffer quite a severe malus to your Learning attribute; for example, any dice in Learning is added to Hacking when you try to hack something, but with a head wound, three out of four or my dices in Learning were reddened, and unused. Or a leg wound might see you reduced to not walking, but actually hobbling, visually limping your way through the streets. As well, wounds lower the ceiling of the maximum regenerable health.
So that's pretty nice, you have to heal wounds, you have to use those health kits (whose commonness is not really high, nor really low). Only, sometimes, wounds heal... on their own? Honestly I'm baffled as to what exactly is supposed to happen. I've had head wounds stay on until I take care of them; I've had head wounds disappear on their own before I could so much as open the character sheet to check it. Same with every kind of wound of there is.
At one point I found a room with nothing but empty crates in it. Ah! but the back wall can be broken, and reveals a passage of rotten planks. With my companion in close proximity, traps were promptly detected, laid all over said planks. But moving my character being the crapshoot that is is, I walked straight into a bear trap. Cue my character being stuck for a second, taking big damage, and the appearance of a wound icon over her portrait. Traps are dangerous. That's good. But, well, no. About three seconds later, my character was free from the bear trap, healed to full health, with not even the memory of a wound to be seen anywhere—all that with no input whatsoever on my part.

Managing companion health and potential wounds in this game, in my opinion, should be a mandatory trial for any real-life monk trying to attain a higher state of inner calm and comprehension of the fundamentalities. Companions heal naturally—until they don't anymore. It's confusing, but I've an inkling of an idea as to what's going on there. I've seen a companion regenerate from near-death to full health much like my own character, that is in a matter of seconds. But I've also seen companions only being able to regenerate a portion of their health.
Thus I suspect wounds are involved; the problem being that while wounds that pain you are displayed on your portrait and explained in your character sheet, it is not the case for companions. I say this because I had a companion limp behind me, evidently wounded at the leg, and unable to regenerate more than three quarters of his health, but I could not find about him any icon or text mentionning a wound.
So of course I tried to heal him. I clicked on him to initiate a conversation, and picked the 'heal' option. A health kit disappeared from my inventory, but the companion was not healed in the least. The game's log indicated something in the vicinity of Rolled [2] Organics, target [32]. So in order to heal myself with a health kit, no check is required; just use the kit and voilà. But there's a check for companions? Also a target of 32 is so fucking high in this game. You'd need six dices, or a perfect roll on 5d6+2 to succeed. Also, when trying to heal another companion, the target was 29. Why 29? Do I have to pass that check? Or is it the companion's stats that matter? Who the fuck knows.
The proverbial nail in the lead-lined coffin being this little gem: after this I trekked all the way back to the base to require the help of the medic, but apparently he can't heal companions. Or at least I've not found the option to do that, but really I think it's just not there at all.

Good review. If you've been lurking here and this isn't an alt, you should consider staying. Always need more new blood with critical thinking skills.

Not an alt. I've lurked here a couple of years now, and read through more interesting and valuable conversations then on pretty much any other forums dedicated to RPGs, or even games in general. Would be glad to contribute what I might.

Saduj

Arcane
Out of spite and sheer stupidity, I'm almost compelled to wade through the nauseating bog of bugs this game is just to finish it, because at this point I seriously doubt anyone has or ever will. It's like being fascinated by an unexpected, blood-soaked scene of absolute carnage: I want to look away, but can't.

I briefly entertained similar thoughts but there is a very good chance the game is not completable under any circumstances. And even if it is possible, it would be very hard to tell whether you're making progress or whether you've done something wrong that has doomed your game to fail. The quest instructions in this game are often somewhat vague and the game gives you very little feedback on quest progress. This would be cool if the game were bug free and designed to encourage progress through trial and error. But Mechajammer is the exact opposite of this.

Here is an example - Pelican gives you a jammer (the only in the game I've been told) and she tells you that if you find a utility box, you should install the jammer and then she will monitor comms and let you know what she finds out. While running for my life in area I was not equipped to handle, I found a utility box. I installed the jammer and nothing happened. I interact with the utility box again and the jammer is no longer in the box's inventory. I go back to Pelican and she says nothing about me having installed the jammer. I reload an old save and check the instructions again and confirm that she did not talk about a specific utility box so I had done exactly what she asked. So now there are three possibilities. 1) I did what I was supposed to but the bugged out inventory system is not acknowledging that the jammer is in the utility box's inventory. 2) There are other utility boxes and you're supposed to try the jammer in different ones before you find the one that produces results. And I can't retrieve the jammer from the wrong box because of the bugged inventory system. 3) After the passage of some time or when I reach a certain level, Pelican is going to contact me with the intel she got from the jammer. Now if 1 or 2 are the case, I should revert to an older save. But I'd be crazy to do that assuming that things will be any different the next time I try to do what Pelican asked. If 3 is the case, then I'm all good and shouldn't worry about not having the unique quest item anymore. But based on what I've seen from the game so far, I'd be crazy to have any faith that at some later point the game is going to recognize that I have done what I was asked to do with the jammer. And does it even fucking matter? Is the jammer related content even on the critical path? Who fucking knows. So I'd be crazy to start over expecting another result, I'd be crazy to assume I'm all good and in the end it may not even matter.

TLDR - The only way it would make any sense for me to earnestly try to complete this game would be if I were imprisoned and beating Mechajammer were a requirement of my release.

That said, I may screw around with it some more for the same reason I slow down and rubberneck when there is a car burning on the side of the road.

Camel

Scholar

Jesus wept. And I really hated durability mechanic in Fallout New Vegas.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I also booted up the game to give it a go after the new patch.
Stopped after an hour: Saw that the game is still hard to navigate, the nonsensical dice system is still there and the UI is still... uh... "immersive", clicking around still feels terrible and lacking feedback and shit's still buggy as hell (this time, all NPCs refused to even talk to me :lol: ).

Didn't they sell their house to afford making this game?
:negative:

Can you imagine that? You put all you got into something, make some real sacrifices and in the end, you produce this absolute disaster?
Fuck, man, it fills me with dread just thinking about it.

Looks like that ONLYFANS channel that AetherVagrant was so looking forward to could possibly be on the horizon then if this is the case. Some middling forgettable game developer waifu pr0n (see: John Romero / Stevie Case, et. al.) may go a long way to offsetting this. Wish granted!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom