Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

in battletech tanks are already better than mechs. mechs are at the top of the food chain only because they're nimbler and have better all-terrain capabilities.
Hit locations are a big plus for 'mechs. You blow through any armour in a vehicle and it is basically dead. With 'mechs, more pieces can go flying, increasing survivalability.
"hit locations" are a game system issue, i was speaking merely from the lore point of view. and i was recalling what i read in some technical readout.

Cael

Arcane
in battletech tanks are already better than mechs. mechs are at the top of the food chain only because they're nimbler and have better all-terrain capabilities.
Hit locations are a big plus for 'mechs. You blow through any armour in a vehicle and it is basically dead. With 'mechs, more pieces can go flying, increasing survivalability.
"hit locations" are a game system issue, i was speaking merely from the lore point of view. and i was recalling what i read in some technical readout.
No. It has always been stated that the 'mech is equivalent of entire platoons of vehicles. Some assault grade tanks might come close, but in general 'mechs are far superior.

Mechanically, this is represented not only in movement rates and restrictions, but also the fact that vehicles are susceptible to several weapons that have a lesser impact on 'mechs (e.g., inferno rounds) and that they have inbuilt automatic criticals in their hit location tables. You can have a practically intact vehicle that is functionally dead because its crew have been killed or is dead in one shot from an exploding engine. That is on top of mobility kills, turret jamming and all sorts of other fun stuff.

Cael

Arcane
He was saying "in Battletech".
The same things would apply in Battletech! All the armor points concentrated in one zone which is potentially harder to hit because hull down vs. a mech which can't go hull down and falls on its face if it loses a leg after only losing a small fraction of the total armor points?

I mean, a mech has to distribute its tons of armor points across multiple different body regions, and losing any of several of those regions tends to result in total mission kill. A tank would only have, like, front, sides, rear, turret, top, bottom, and most of those facings are realistically not exposed in a confrontation and real tanks go light on them, too, which means you may end up trying to shoot through all of those points concentrated into frontal and turret armor.
Never played the game, have you?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Mega-franchise is a massive overstatement. 500,000 units sold was the peak, and that's basically nothing when it comes to what's called a franchise.

Truth is, mech sims were never anything but a niche, and were even deader than RTS even before RTS went extinct in the TD-DotA Impactor Event.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
No. It has always been stated that the 'mech is equivalent of entire platoons of vehicles. Some assault grade tanks might come close, but in general 'mechs are far superior.

Mechanically, this is represented not only in movement rates and restrictions, but also the fact that vehicles are susceptible to several weapons that have a lesser impact on 'mechs (e.g., inferno rounds) and that they have inbuilt automatic criticals in their hit location tables. You can have a practically intact vehicle that is functionally dead because its crew have been killed or is dead in one shot from an exploding engine. That is on top of mobility kills, turret jamming and all sorts of other fun stuff.
I think you're exaggerating a bit, at least in my experience, although I'm fairly new to BT, for all I know things where a lot different back in the day. I wouldn't say 'mechs are that much better than vehicles, but they definitely are more durable than vehicles of similar tonnage, and thermal weapons (like Infernos and Plasma) do seriously fuck vehicles up.

Cael

Arcane

I think you're exaggerating a bit, at least in my experience, although I'm fairly new to BT, for all I know things where a lot different back in the day. I wouldn't say 'mechs are that much better than vehicles, but they definitely are more durable than vehicles of similar tonnage, and thermal weapons (like Infernos and Plasma) do seriously fuck vehicles up.
That is because you haven't seen a 35 ton 'mech with 8 MG and 10 small lasers wipe out a lance of heavy-assault grade tanks due to critical hits. Against vehicles, number of hits matter more than how hard the hits are. I won't even go into how nasty a SRM boat can be to vehicles, what with each SRM rolling a location (and every last one of my SRM-equipped 'mechs will come with inferno rounds)... And if you think that is bad, along comes the LB-X autocannons with cluster munitions...

Basically, a hit location roll of 2-5 or 11-12 can have an effect on top of armour damage.

Oh, and vehicle engines are heavier than 'mech engines (+50% for fusion, +100% for ICE), plus they need control equipment equal to 10% of their weight, plus the turret adds 20% to the weight of weapons mounted it in (1 ton for every 5 tons of items), it all adds up to far less equipment for its weight compared to a 'mech. Which is the main reason why vehicles tend to be slower than 'mechs of a similar weight range (trade speed for weapons/armour).

Where vehicles shine is relatively massive amount of critical spaces/equipment slots and no heat with missile and ballistic weapons.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The mod tools for this are out now. The number one thing I want to see come from mods is handcrafted maps and spawns. Hell, just use the random map generator and then place spawns on that if you want to do it quick and dirty. The devs claim it would push the system requirements up too high if this was done but we'll see.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
The mod tools for this are out now. The number one thing I want to see come from mods is handcrafted maps and spawns. Hell, just use the random map generator and then place spawns on that if you want to do it quick and dirty. The devs claim it would push the system requirements up too high if this was done but we'll see.
Honestly the amount of bullshit MW5 devs spout is reaching new heights. Whether those were development time/money concerns or just pure laziness, they chose the half-assed route of random content generation and it turned the entire title to a nothing burger - a dull sandbox of 10 minute arcade turkey shoot. However, instead admitting something so utterly noticeable, they keep making up retarded explanations that making actual content is "oh so hard" and technically non-viable. Yeah, because there were no BattleTech games with actual mission design before. Fucking whiny bitches.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Honestly the amount of bullshit MW5 devs spout is reaching new heights. Whether those were development time/money concerns or just pure laziness, they chose the half-assed route of random content generation and it turned the entire title to a nothing burger - a dull sandbox of 10 minute arcade turkey shoot. However, instead admitting something so utterly noticeable, they keep making up retarded explanations that making actual content is "oh so hard" and technically non-viable. Yeah, because there were no BattleTech games with actual mission design before. Fucking whiny bitches.

I'd guess they were too deep in to turn back. At a certain point too much money and time has been spent to go back without going broke. They probably realized that they fucked up far too late in development and now they're just doing their best to cover their asses. I guess I can't blame them. Hopefully they learned something from this. At least they got the core of the game right - the combat

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://mw5mercs.com/news/2020/04/38-mw5-mercs-dlc-update

MW5 MERCS DLC UPDATE

Greeting Mechwarriors!

Over the last 3 months, the team has been hard at work building our first DLC pack. Our original goal was to release a content pack that included a robust Career Mode targeted for April release.

Soon after we started playing our initial revision of career mode we realized that it wasn’t the career mode we really wanted to make but instead we were making compromises driven by our April deadline. The team was often debating new features that just didn’t fit into the schedule but felt as though they would add additional depth and interest that players really would want for a free form exploration of the Inner Sphere. After some reflection, we decided that we should delay the release to incorporate these features and we adjusted our estimates to a June release.

Shortly after we made these adjustments the world changed and we’ve had to readjust to a new work from home policy. As a result of all these changes, it’s unlikely that we’ll be releasing the enhanced career mode DLC in the first half of this year. Rest assured, the team is hard at work making an even more expansive career mode, with even more mechs, weapons, equipment, missions, biomes and some surprises we hope you’ll like.

DLC - Heroes of the Inner Sphere

Follow your chosen career path from War Dog to Treasure Hunter in the new Career Mode.
Explore new warzones, new quests, new missions that span the full breadth of the Inner Sphere.
Hunt the Heroes - special Hero quests tell the story of 7 new heroes and their unique mechs.
Find new mech chassis and variants, new weapons, new equipment, as well as blueprints to quirk your beloved mechs.
…and much more.

Content Summary

We also wanted to share details of what we are currently working on:
  • New Career Mode - start a career from scratch in any of the great houses or import your progress from the original Campaign.
  • Career Paths - Complete 5 different job types to unlock career path rewards including new blueprints for quirking mechs.
  • Expanded Inner Sphere Map that includes 61 total warzones (+18), 34 Industrial Hubs, and 55 quest lines (+11) recrafted for less linear, more open exploration.
  • Hunt down 7 new heroes and their hero mechs in the story-driven Hero Quests, featuring 7 unique handcrafted missions.
  • 7 new 'Mech chassis: Corsair, Vulcan, Charger, Hatamoto-Chi, Dervish, Champion, Marauder II
  • 50 new variants including new variants for existing chassis.
  • New equipment: ECM, EWECM, BAP, EWAP, MASC, Supercharger.
  • New Weapons: Chem Lasers, Short Burst lasers, Mech Rifles.
  • New Procedural Mission type: Beachhead that features artillery strikes and emplacements.
  • New Giant Moon Biome and Moonbase garrisons.
These aspects (below) would be part of a free update:
  • Keep tabs on the latest Inner Sphere news to check when borders change or when new tech becomes available + many more lore-based events.
  • QoL fixes such as full 360 LOS radar, and ambient and area-based heat effects.
  • ...and more still to come...
We don’t have an exact release date to share at this time, but we are monitoring progress and will provide a more accurate assessment of our release plans closer to summertime.

In the meantime, the team will continue to support the great work underway in the modding community.

Team Piranha

bad8e3efbe86586df5b2170f6eaf8193.jpeg

2c60f3ab2acd7994930954731bb6517e.jpeg

7691739b18e35b92e242acd8311350b4.jpeg

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hopefully it will be good when it is released on other stores.

I can see why they went to a store that didn't take 30% of their sales. Imagine an estate agent that wanted 30% of the value of a home you had built from scratch. Having said that, I wonder if they made more money in the long run?.

Perkel

Arcane
seems like there is some decent mod for it. Anyone tried it ? Got myself a joystick so i am all tingly to try MW5 or just replay my favorite mech game EarthSiege2.

edit: Ok i fixed deadzones via config file. Those fucking idiots didn't include deadzone switch in game lol.

Should i go vanilla or try it with this mod ?:
Features:
  • Fully unlocked mechlab:
- You will be able to customize/upgrade pretty much every aspect of your mech. From engine upgrades, to structure, to 5 types of armor, Gyros, engine cooling, sensors, arm and leg enhancement slots, etc.
- The entire mech roster has gone through surgery for a significant increase to their available hardpoints (mainly consistent with Mechwarrior online)
- Weapons now occupy actual slots on the mech and have correct sizes according to construction rules, rather than using the small/med/large system
- ammo is now color coded to the corresponding weapon for better visibility
- Customization options become available as you progress through timeline
- expect deep structural upgrades to be expensive.
- engines and upgrades can either be purchased in industrial hubs or black markets, or can be salvaged from destroyed mechs after missions.

• Environmental heat effects:
Your mech cooling efficiency will now be affected by type of map and time of day.

• Thermal vision
A completely new thermal vision is included in this mod. Activate thermal vision using the "H" Key (future updates will add an option to rebind it)
Mechs have fully active heat profile, meaning you can have a guess as to which mech is near overheating threshold

• Targeting Computer
An MW3 style targeting computer has been added as an equip-able piece of gear that calculates projectile trajectory and provides the pilot with an accurate estimate as to where to shoot to hit a selected target.
You can link the targeting computer to any desired projectile weapon by selecting it in the weapon group panel using the arrow keys.

• Available upgrades:
- Sensors (Tier 1 to 5): increase radar range by 10% to 50%. All mechs by default now have 360 degree LOS radar with 800m default range
- Targeting computer: covered above
- Reinforced cockpit upgrade (Tier 1 to 5): Damage to the cockpit is reduced by 10% to 50%
- Armor upgrades (separate kits for each weight class):
- Ferro Fibrous (12% more armor per ton for extra weight saving, requires 14 slots),
- Light Ferro Fibrous (6% more armor per ton for extra weight saving, requires 7 slots),
- Reactive (Ballistic/Missile damage reduced by 50%, Energy damage as normal, requires 14 slots, only affects armor ),
- Reflective (Energy damage reduced by 50%, ballistic/missile as normal, requires 10 slots, only affects armor),
- Hardened (all incoming damage reduced by 50, only affects armor, each point of armor is two times heavier than standard)
- Structure upgrades (separate kits for each weight class): Endo steel structure upgrade (Separate kits for each weight class, only weighs 5% of the chassis max tonnage, 50% less than standard structure)
- Arm upgrade slots:
- Arm heat vents: weapons equipped in the same arm generate 15% less heat per installed upgraded (can be stacked for bigger bonus, if mech has more slots on that arm)
- Reinforced arms: Damage to an arm with this upgrade is reduced by 10%, can be stacked.
- Improved arm actuators: Increases the amount a mech can twist its arms by 10%, can be stacked
- Leg upgrade slots:
- Shock absorbers: fall damage is reduced by 10%, can be stacked
- Reinforced legs: Damage to a leg with this upgrade is reduced by 10%, can be stacked.
- improved leg actuators: increases the turn speed of a mech by 10%, can be stacked
- Gyro upgrade (Tier 1 to 5): Increases a mech acceleration, deceleration, torso twist speed, and torso twist limits according to Tier. It also reduces weapon recoil (higher Tiers result in higher reduction, depending on the weapon).
- Engine cooling upgrade (Tier 1 to 5): Increases cooling efficiency of internal engine heatsinks by 20% to 100%. Heatsinks equipped to engine heatsink slots are not affected
- Engines: Standard, LFE, and XL engines are provided from 100 to 400 + STD60 for urbie. Losing a side torso with LFE and XL engines results in speed and agility penalties (more severe with XLs), Losing both side torsos is death.

• Expanded MW5 turret roster
- Turrets have received a considerable health buff and following turrets are added to the game
-- 2xAC10 -- AC20BF+ML -- PPC -- 2xPPC -- 4xLL -- 4xAC5BF -- 4xAC2 -- 2xAC5BF -- 2xAC2 -- 2xLL -- AC2 -- LL+2xML -- 4xML -- 2xML -- ML -- SRM4 -- 2xSRM6 -- 2xSRM6+4xML -- 2xLRM20+2xLL -- 2xLRM10+2xML

- Higher level turrets will spawn on higher level missions

• Reworked enemy force composition to be more focused on fewer and stronger units, rather than vehicle spam.

• Adjusted mission salvage shares
- All auto non-campaign missions now provide 50% more salvage shares
  • Adjusted mech salvage chances
- cored: 33% (was 25% in vanilla)
- Legged 66% (was 10% in vanilla)
- Headshot 95% (unchanged)

• Limping when legged:
- This mod includes my previous re-scale mod plus limping after a mech is legged.

• Extra QoL packages:
- Re-worked walking animation for Nightstar
- Mech leg Inverse Kinematics (legs adjusting to slopes)
- Mech and vehicle Re-scales to better match their tonnage (very close to lore values)
- Improved laser visuals (brighter and fuller beams)
- fixed weapon trails for Gauss and PPCs being stuck to the barrel after firing
- added missile smoke instead of cheap ribbons

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
That seems like a decent mod but it doesn't really fix any of the real problems with the game. Also playing with a joystick is basically giving yourself a handicap. This game was definitely made for keyboard and mouse and will give you faster and more precise aiming with a mouse.

I find it the height of farce that the incompetent fool Russ has enabled a much better game to be built within his shitter one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom