Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Act II and III are much better Sceptic, you get some more options at your disposal, the world opens up and potion chugging is still present but not as constant.

This game is like if World of Xeen and Man Date of Heavan had a baby but then the father turned out to be Wizardry 8.

funkadelik

Arcane
I just found the, and I am only assuming this, only grandmaster level Dark Magic: Weakness. WTF, no armageddon?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I wonder how fixable load times are, at this point. That doesn't seem like something that can be changed via patching.

Didn't play the Witcher at release, did you?
NWN 2 on the other hand had similarly awful load times/optimization as this game (much worse, even) and was never fixed. But I guess we can just chalk that up to Obsidian's incompetence. :troll:

LivingOne

Savant
I'm not very far(just killed Mamushi),so it might be because it's just the early game,but do dungeons get less linear than spider's cave/light house later on?

Other than that I'm having a lot of fun:thumbsup:

narupley

Scholar
If I had more people reading my blaaaahhg I would feel bad for not including these performance problems in my review. But then, I haven't really noticed anything heartbreaking. It is little slow outdoors (which is ridiculous) but no show stoppers. I've got an nVidia GTX 580, 8 gigs of ram, and an Intel i5 3570k.

Also, somebody help me out here. . .

I cannot fucking believe I have no access to a shield trainer until Seahaven/The Crag. I just started ACTII, and I'm in the elemental forge, and my dudes are still rocking their old ass shields. How long is it going to take me to reach those areas so I can train their shield skill?

It is such a basic skill, it makes absolutely no goddamn sense to put the first trainer in ACT II. Absurd.

Also (3 poast combo!) i'm going to make a list of Codex-approved things that need to be fixed, and hopefully bring it to Ubi's attention. At least I will make the list and then spam it on their forums. Anybody want to start?

1. Fucking load times.

2. The ability to flee from combat. I asked this on every Dev Q&A and never got a single satisfactory answer (but got plenty of ";)))"s from fucking Stephan and Lore). Fleeing should take a full turn just like regular movement does, and enemies should still be able to pelt you with ranged attacks if they choose. Luring enemies back into a bottleneck corridor is a valid strategy, assuming that you aren't already being flanked, which happens often enough anyway.

3. Agreed with instant hover-overs for items. Of course the delay may be there for the same reason the load times are so horrendous: inefficient programming.

4. The ability to right-click on baddies in the distance (up to a certain distance perhaps) and see what sort of baddies they are. "Is that a somethingorother, or an ELITE somethingorother?"

5. More hotkey bars. Should be a no-brainer to be able to cycle through multiple bars per character. Yes, it's very WoW, but IMO it's a good mechanic, especially when battles can get very tactical.

6. This might be alleviated by #5, but if I go into my spellbook to select Cure Poison, I have to use my mouse and click on the earth tab, then select Cure Poison, and then press F1-F4. But then a few minutes later when someone else gets poisoned and I go back to my spellbook, the location is reset back to the first page. It would help if it saved the position you were last browsing at, obviously on a per-character basis.

7. To add to #6, just about every single thing you do in this game should be doable with just your keyboard. I should be able to cycle through spellbook pages and individual spells with Page Up/Down or something. The game does a decent job of this already, just needs more.

8. Maps seriously need to be able to scroll and zoom in/out. Especially when I venture out into the wilderness and open the area map, I still have no fucking clue where exactly I am sometimes. For dungeons, you should be able to switch between different level maps Zelda-style. The world map sucks complete ass other than giving you a general idea of where you are in the peninsula.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Townportal spell would be a nice thing to have available. I find the back and forth between towns and wilderness a bit jarring since it's just trotting through empty landscape.

I also find it fun, that a Celestial Armor - a starting spell - has been my saving grace through the whole game so far. Not a bad thing, but I kinda expected it to become obsolete at some point.

Also are all the master trainers I need (air, earth, water, shield, axe) at Karthal and beyond?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Townportal spell would be a nice thing to have available. I find the back and forth between towns and wilderness a bit jarring since it's just trotting through empty landscape.

I also find it fun, that a Celestial Armor - a starting spell - has been my saving grace through the whole game so far. Not a bad thing, but I kinda expected it to become obsolete at some point.

Also are all the master trainers I need (air, earth, water, shield, axe) at Karthal and beyond?
Yes. That's also the point where you can buy Spirit Beacon scrolls in shops or whatever which are like Mark/Recall.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
prime magic has a portal you can set and recall.

Arkeus

Arcane
prime magic has a portal you can set and recall.
You only have one marker right? So it's useful for coming back to town, but not really for going back to the dungeon?

funkadelik

Arcane

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sounds like you really need to start chugging once you get further in. That sounds pretty shitty tbh. There was always a modicum of potion-chucking in early/bit of mit M&M, but if the gameplay is centered around it, it sounds tedious.
It is completely centered around and reliant on it, and quite frankly it's getting so tedious that I'm on here reading the thread instead of playing the game. I was expecting the game to grow on me, and for a while (Lighthouse and Den) it did, but now that I'm in the Castle it's going into reverse-trend. And I haven't even finished act 1...

It's incredibly helpful to pump points to Spirit and also learn the Mystic skill and pump that one. First I couldn't go through a single fight without gulping at least one mana potion but now I don't need to drink anything, except during the hardest fights where you're zerged by 3+ elites and 5+ of their sidekicks.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Tried this out today. Level 6, got to the fight with Mamushi. Wtf is this knockback bullshit? Am I supposed to come back in 5 levels so I can kill him before he shoves me off the tower or something? This is retarded.

Also, everything that isn't magic seems to suck balls. Bosses and half the enemies are immune to fucking everything, and they have stupidly high block and evasion rates. If the shittiest enemies in the game have 80 evade or 40 armor, I can only imagine that later on everything is essentially immune to melee. And you need to either rest or chug potions after every fight anyways, so it's not like having some that does damage without burning mana is actually helpful. My blade dancer is dual wielding daggers that do bonus earth damage on every hit, and one has a 3% chance of casting agony each hit. You'd think this would be amazing... but not really. Anything I can land more than 2 hits on a turn dies before agony would matter anyways. Meanwhile, shitty level 1 spells put out equivalent damage to landing all 4 attacks, at range, with no miss chance at all. Or hit everything in melee range at once.

Bad combat aside, I'm not really feeling the exploration either. None of the loot I've found has been good enough to change the way I play, so in the end what was the fucking point? Being able to go 'YAY I found jewgolds!'? Might as well play fucking solitaire and get excited over my card draws.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tried this out today. Level 6, got to the fight with Mamushi. Wtf is this knockback bullshit? Am I supposed to come back in 5 levels so I can kill him before he shoves me off the tower or something? This is retarded.

Might & Magic X does not scale to your level.

Lhynn

Arcane
Mamushi fight is easy, you just gotta fuck with the boss positioning somehow and try to get a wall on your back.
Fighters absolutely need perception or they will miss, which makes them MAD as fuck.

Damned Registrations

It also doesn't scale to the number of living party members. Good thing I noticed before too much of the (non respawning, completely finite) xp was obliterated.

Normally I'd be fine with just tooling around to explore and come back later... but there's only 1 other area I haven't gone yet. If I'm going to get another 5 levels by going in that direction, the game is way too fucking linear and tiny for me to give a fuck. There should be more than 1-2 viable areas to explore at a time.

Edit: He shoved me off anyways when I had a wall at my back. He just shoved me sideways (or moved to the side and shoved me off without showing the animation for it.) And that took some bullshit to pull off anyways since you can't move when you're in melee.

His damage was actually pretty irrelevant, I could easily sustain by chugging mana potions and spamming regeneration. But I couldn't hurt him much either and eventually he just instakills me no matter what I do.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It also doesn't scale to the number of living party members. Good thing I noticed before too much of the (non respawning, completely finite) xp was obliterated.

Normally I'd be fine with just tooling around to explore and come back later... but there's only 1 other area I haven't gone yet. If I'm going to get another 5 levels by going in that direction, the game is way too fucking linear and tiny for me to give a fuck. There should be more than 1-2 viable areas to explore at a time.

There will be: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9291

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Fighters absolutely need perception or they will miss, which makes them MAD as fuck.
Not necessarily...the weapon skill gives attack too, and you better put points in armor skill if you wear armor. My barbarian has like 6 perception and rarely misses. Blocks on the other hand...

LivingOne

Savant
Edit: He shoved me off anyways when I had a wall at my back. He just shoved me sideways (or moved to the side and shoved me off without showing the animation for it.) And that took some bullshit to pull off anyways since you can't move when you're in melee.

His damage was actually pretty irrelevant, I could easily sustain by chugging mana potions and spamming regeneration. But I couldn't hurt him much either and eventually he just instakills me no matter what I do.
You can position yourself between the pillar and the statue.Just go to the right or left from where you enter.

narupley

Scholar
Mamushi was relatively easy, beat him on Warrior at level 5, only took a few tries to figure out the patterns.

Don't approach him head-on at the beginning. Instead go right one tile, then up one. It's good to be diagonal with respect to the corner columns:

Starting:
|_|_|_|_|_|
|X|_|P|_|X|

Go here:
|_|_|1|P|3|
|X|_|_|4|X|

Usually he'll go to 1/2, but occasionally he'll go for 3/4 which is even better. If he knocks you back to 1/2, go straight to the middle, as that's the best place to be. If he knocks you back to 3/4, just move around to the next column and do the same maneuver you did at the start. When he knocks you back, it's usually not a good idea to go straight right back to him, because more often than not he'll AoE your party and knock you back again all in one turn, and your party will be dead after a few of those.

Arkeus

Arcane
Not necessarily...the weapon skill gives attack too, and you better put points in armor skill if you wear armor. My barbarian has like 6 perception and rarely misses. Blocks on the other hand...
Attack Value also seems to influence block, as when i watch streams i often see people being blocked all the time, when i am very rarely blocked myself (maybe one hit out of five or six is blocked? and given i usually attack multiple time a turn...).

Damned Registrations

That's probably more to do with the # of blocks system. If an enemy has a 80% chance to block but can only block twice, the he's going to block nearly all of 2/3 melee attacks and only a small fraction of 6-8 melee attacks.

I think I'm going to make a new party and try again. Should be easy now that I know what things to spend money on and which skills are worth getting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom