Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sounds like you really need to start chugging once you get further in. That sounds pretty shitty tbh. There was always a modicum of potion-chucking in early/bit of mit M&M, but if the gameplay is centered around it, it sounds tedious.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Sounds like you really need to start chugging once you get further in. That sounds pretty shitty tbh. There was always a modicum of potion-chucking in early/bit of mit M&M, but if the gameplay is centered around it, it sounds tedious.
It's a consequence of going with the whole "less fights, each fight is more taxing on your characters" thing as opposed to the shit tons of easy fights that gradually deplete resources. There are some fights that are borderline unwinnable unless you bring lots of mana potions.

A lot of things in this game remind me of Wizardry. Wizardry 8 has its distinctive respawn thing and this game has a similar weakness with its "spawn enemies right behind you every time you open a chest/pull a lever" thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

funkadelik

Arcane
You need to learn immobilizing spells so you can make walls with surrounding enemies. I usually put as many to sleep as I can and only keep a few awake to fight at time. This really saves on potion chugging.

Also, does anyone know where you can buy grandmaster level dark spells?

Lhynn

Arcane
Perception isnt bad, you need it to actually hit some stuff, i swear, the embarransigly high block and dodge of the enemies coupled with their stupid high damage and to hit makes it feel as if going caster is the best thing you can do, not getting hit and always doing ultra damage.

Luzur

Good Sir
huh, my chars dont say anything at all, and i have checked the volumes.

They only say anything if you have secret detection on via spell buff or henchmen. But they say when you're on the general vicinity of the secret, so you have to go around and examine nearby walls for a shiny outline (crack for might check, arcane symbol for magic check, and gears for perception check). There's no check to see the secret, just to open the way.

i know that, saw alot of it in the Thieves Lair, but they never said anyting.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They only say anything if you have secret detection on via spell buff or henchmen.

Hmm, the hireling chick talked a lot in the Bandit Hideout but now that I use Whispering Shadows there are no verbal clues. I have to check every single wall visually.

Btw, someone asked already but there was no answer - is there a calendar of sorts anywhere? There are them dragon altars I'm supposed to pray to at specific days, only I have no idea what day comes when. The first altar is Elrath, any idea what day of the month is it?

Arkeus

Arcane
I got the opposite happening to me. I had to chug a lot of potion in Act I, but in Act II it's actually quite rare that i use a potion at all.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I got the opposite happening to me. I had to chug a lot of potion in Act I, but in Act II it's actually quite rare that i use a potion at all.
Health yes, I barely use them. I bought 10 medium potions then I realized I already had 30. :lol:

But my freemage runs out of mana after 5 fireballs. That skill that increases mana pool looked like crap on paper, but it's definitely a good investment.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
If I had more people reading my blaaaahhg I would feel bad for not including these performance problems in my review. But then, I haven't really noticed anything heartbreaking. It is little slow outdoors (which is ridiculous) but no show stoppers. I've got an nVidia GTX 580, 8 gigs of ram, and an Intel i5 3570k.

Also, somebody help me out here. . .

I cannot fucking believe I have no access to a shield trainer until Seahaven/The Crag. I just started ACTII, and I'm in the elemental forge, and my dudes are still rocking their old ass shields. How long is it going to take me to reach those areas so I can train their shield skill?

It is such a basic skill, it makes absolutely no goddamn sense to put the first trainer in ACT II. Absurd.

Also (3 poast combo!) i'm going to make a list of Codex-approved things that need to be fixed, and hopefully bring it to Ubi's attention. At least I will make the list and then spam it on their forums. Anybody want to start?

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
lol I feel you. And you'll be able to go to seahaven when you finish the elemental forge.

Also (3 poast combo!) i'm going to make a list of Codex-approved things that need to be fixed, and hopefully bring it to Ubi's attention. At least I will make the list and then spam it on their forums. Anybody want to start?
Performance and loading times first of all.

narupley

Scholar
So I just finished Act I, and got to a point where I cleared everything in the area (that didn't oneshot rape me) and had some extra money, so I opted to hire the mule. "Why not, the scout is completely useless, and this is the only other hireling around, plus I'm sure he'll come in handy."

Me: Hey, looks like I can't fucking go anywhere because you've artificially blocked off all boat/stables/road travel. I guess I'll go ahead and take the griffins railroad to the elemental forge, whatever that is.

Limbic: Oh sure. By the way that 4000 gold hireling you just bought? He can't come with so you'll have to outright fire him just to be able to advance the storyline. :troll:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
freemage promo part of story quest sucks. 2h mace relic in final fucking dungeon sucks. no dagger relics sucks. generally the relic distribution is pretty bad. some classes are just outright fucked with trainer distributions and relics.
no journal of important quest stuff like the directions for the obelisks.
bugs like not being able to finish pirate peace if you visited the crag before getting it or being able to get quest items again after finishing quests (naga tea, disk fragment), one of the book pedestals for "forbidden saga" also does not give a book and makes it unfinishable.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
lol I feel you. And you'll be able to go to seahaven when you finish the elemental forge.

Performance and loading times first of all.

I wonder how fixable load times are, at this point. That doesn't seem like something that can be changed via patching.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It is completely centered around and reliant on it, and quite frankly it's getting so tedious that I'm on here reading the thread instead of playing the game. I was expecting the game to grow on me, and for a while (Lighthouse and Den) it did, but now that I'm in the Castle it's going into reverse-trend. And I haven't even finished act 1...

It's a consequence of going with the whole "less fights, each fight is more taxing on your characters" thing as opposed to the shit tons of easy fights that gradually deplete resources. There are some fights that are borderline unwinnable unless you bring lots of mana potions. A lot of things in this game remind me of Wizardry. Wizardry 8 has its distinctive respawn thing and this game has a similar weakness with its "spawn enemies right behind you every time you open a chest/pull a lever" thing.
Not just the spawning (which is starting to really, really piss me off now), almost everything about combat is more Wizardry than M&M. Individual fights being more taxing is a Wizardry trademark and the very thing that always distinguished M&M from it. I don't know why they thought it would be a good idea to abandon one of the major staples of the series and replace it with one from another series, especially when their character and combat systems don't support the variety of options that Wizardry had and that made that series' combat more tactical and interesting. Instead they have HP bloat, respawning reinforcements midfight (lolwut), extremely high block rates for enemies, and on top of that insanely unbalanced critical hit system. The ambush fight with the 4 militias is a hilarious example: if they get lucky with their crits your entire party is stunned on first round and promptly slaughtered in the 2nd round, if they don't get lucky with any crit then your party slaughters them all halfway through the 2nd round.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Also, does anybody have a reliable explanation of how finding secrets in dungeons works? Do you have to have a spell going, or a familiar in your party, in order to get the requisite "hm there is a secret here!" dialog? Or will a high enough perception do the trick?

Arkeus

Arcane
Also, does anybody have a reliable explanation of how finding secrets in dungeons works? Do you have to have a spell going, or a familiar in your party, in order to get the requisite "hm there is a secret here!" dialog? Or will a high enough perception do the trick?
You need the spell/passive/hireling.

Sounds like you really need to start chugging once you get further in. That sounds pretty shitty tbh. There was always a modicum of potion-chucking in early/bit of mit M&M, but if the gameplay is centered around it, it sounds tedious.It is completely centered around and reliant on it, and quite frankly it's getting so tedious that I'm on here reading the thread instead of playing the game. I was expecting the game to grow on me, and for a while (Lighthouse and Den) it did, but now that I'm in the Castle it's going into reverse-trend. And I haven't even finished act 1...

It's a consequence of going with the whole "less fights, each fight is more taxing on your characters" thing as opposed to the shit tons of easy fights that gradually deplete resources. There are some fights that are borderline unwinnable unless you bring lots of mana potions.
As you get more utility spells/abilities, this will change. Sure, some boss fights may still require potions, but even for those it gets less of a thing. Oh, and passives to increase mana helps too.

Not just the spawning (which is starting to really, really piss me off now), almost everything about combat is more Wizardry than M&M. Individual fights being more taxing is a Wizardry trademark and the very thing that always distinguished M&M from it.
I might have to replay Xeen, but i don't feel individual fights here are more taxing than there.

And can you explain what you mean by respawning? the only respawning there is seems to be a 6 months things, like in MM6.

The ambush fight with the 4 militias is a hilarious example: if they get lucky with their crits your entire party is stunned on first round and promptly slaughtered in the 2nd round, if they don't get lucky with any crit then your party slaughters them all halfway through the 2nd round.
Makes me wonder if you just have a bad team or something.

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir

i saw a yellow outline of some cogs on a wall i passed in the Thieves Lair, after that i just checked every wall if i became stuck.

funkadelik

Arcane
It's a Dark magic spell that will make your characters say they "see something" and then you need to look at the walls in the general area. There are three types of secret doors: perception-based(gear symbol), magic based(some orb thing), and strength based(cracks in the wall). The secrets wont light up unless you have that spell going. Maybe if you have a character that has a high perception but I doubt it.

And just because you fail the first time, just try a few more times and sometimes you'll get it.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Healer hireling is OP as fuck, her description seems to suggest she can only res one character a day, but she can bring 3 dead party members back to full health mid-battle?!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Healer hireling is OP as fuck, her description seems to suggest she can only res one character a day, but she can bring 3 dead party members back to full health mid-battle?!
Yeah. and the ress/full restore are two different uses. P. awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom