Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Greatness

Cipher
Throughout the whole game I left earth magic at just 1 point (enough for regen/cure poison) and a single cast of regen would near full heal my party because of its scaling with the magic attribute. It might be worth it to take it to expert for stoneskin, but there's really no need for mastery/grandmaster IMO.

Same goes for most of the other schools (except Light). It's probably more useful to have access to the buffs/cures from novice/expert than to focus on grandmaster, unless you're trying to build a DPS caster.

Prime grandmastery was pretty decent though, stacking it's grandmaster buff with the other schools was giving me something like +70 to all stats and +40 to all resistences for my entire party.

Arkeus

Arcane
Throughout the whole game I left earth magic at just 1 point (enough for regen/cure poison) and a single cast of regen would near full heal my party because of its scaling with the magic attribute. It might be worth it to take it to expert for stoneskin, but there's really no need for mastery/grandmaster IMO.
Master earth nets you a spells that gives -50% armor to enemies, and it stacks with shatter/sunder.

Same goes for most of the other schools (except Light). It's probably more useful to have access to the buffs/cures from novice/expert than to focus on grandmaster, unless you're trying to build a DPS caster.
Water is worth grandmastering if only for having a Maxxed Liquid Membrane, and given that any element gives you DPS, it's always worth grandmastering if you want to hit people with them.

The only element which is iffy for grandmastery (because most spells are Y/N) is Dark, and it gets Agony.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
And I'm particularly thinking about it in a party that already has a Freemage as well, so Druid getting Prime and Shaman getting Fire is irrelevant since the Freemage could just pick up whichever one is unavailable otherwise.

I'm using a Druid and a Freemage. I'm in Act 2, level 12, exploring the Yog-Chall Forest. My main problem is that my main damage spells are Fire-based (Firebolt and Fireball for Freemage), which cannot be Grandmastered. My Freemage has Primordial, Dark, Fire and Air spells, so I might have stretched myself. I'll abandon Fire in favor of Air, since I head good things about Cyclone and Chain Lightining. I'm only level 12, so I hope I won't regret the points spent on branching out a little.
I did a better build for my druid, who focuses on Earth and Water magic. His regeneration, poison spray, and frozen ground make him a very good support and crowd-management caster. He also uses ice shard as a more direct offensive spell.
The Freemage and Druid have a good synergy going on. The Freemage can cast Celestial Armor, the Druid can cast Regenerate (which can revive the unconscious Freemange). This combo allows the other caster to waste a turn by drinking mana potion. The Freegame can cast Dispel of negative statuses and can cast Heal to restore the unconscious druid.

As for using both a Shaman and a Druid, they both GM Water and Earth, so personally I would choose only one and complement him with a Freemage or Runepriest to get more spell variety. If you choose go with a 3-caster party, then it doesn't matter and the Shaman/Druid Earth spells could be very helpful.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
'K, finished the game last night. 40 hours, level 31. I guess they decided they didn't have enough dungeon crawling or something but I'm not sure having most of Act IV being a 3 hour dungeon crawl was a good idea. They keep throwing loot and gold at you as if it's even a reward anymore, so my inventory (+packhorse) was completely filled for the last few hours, which was my experience with the endgame of Might and Magic VIII as well. Anyway, the ending was kinda cool. Didn't think I'd see an M&M game with some ending slides like New Vegas.

I'll start the game again on Warrior mode after it gets patched up a bit. The thought of half of my experiencing consisting of loading screens isn't really appealing to me right now. Great game though, much better than VIII or IX. :4/5:

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
btw, the writer in the twitch stream the other day said something about the gameover screen skelly 'looking like Sandro.' At the time, my thought was "what the fuck, he looks nothing like Sandro..."

But...
587275-might-magic-heroes-vi-danse-macabre-windows-screenshot-new.png

I feel sick inside.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
My main problem is that my main damage spells are Fire-based (Firebolt and Fireball for Freemage), which cannot be Grandmastered. My Freemage has Primordial, Dark, Fire and Air spells, so I might have stretched myself.
Fire is absolutely essential for Burning Determination, unless you like reloading a lot, but otherwise I found it a bit crap. Water is much better, especially since the spells have some very nice effects (like reducing number of attacks) on top of the damage. The attack number reduction is great against enemies with Vindictive. Not sure about Air, I put points in it, an Air Ward is awesome against the elite air elementals (they pretty much hit for 0 damage), but generally I found both Earth and Water more useful. The biggest problem with Air is way too many enemies resist it, especially in act 3.

The Freemage and Druid have a good synergy going on. The Freemage can cast Celestial Armor, the Druid can cast Regenerate (which can revive the unconscious Freemange).
With a Crusader in the party I would think giving him Light would be better, but I wonder how having Light on 2 characters would work. But then having Light on the Crusader only would free the Freemage (hurr) to master his own spellcasting quicker.

As for using both a Shaman and a Druid, they both GM Water and Earth, so personally I would choose only one and complement him with a Freemage or Runepriest to get more spell variety.
I didn't plan on using both, I was wondering WHICH one to use. From what I understood the Shaman can regenerate mana passively, which sounds like an awesome ability to have on a caster. In terms of the actual spells, both Druid and Shaman can GM Earth and Water. Shaman can Master a lot of weapons but that seems like a complete waste. Their misc skills are otherwise very similar.

Arkeus

Arcane
As for using both a Shaman and a Druid, they both GM Water and Earth, so personally I would choose only one and complement him with a Freemage or Runepriest to get more spell variety.I didn't plan on using both, I was wondering WHICH one to use. From what I understood the Shaman can regenerate mana passively, which sounds like an awesome ability to have on a caster. In terms of the actual spells, both Druid and Shaman can GM Earth and Water. Shaman can Master a lot of weapons but that seems like a complete waste. Their misc skills are otherwise very similar.

Shaman can GM Arcane discipline and can get expert shield. It's very possible to do a tanky shaman, though it sadly doesn't get light hence it cannot truly rez people.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Will Legacy run on a Mac using Wineskin Winery ? Im afraid UPlay will make it unplayable…anyone tried it out?

Repressed Homosexual
I have a dwarf ranger but his attacking ability (on key 1) has completely disappeared, and I can't find any way to bring it back.

And which school is the one with the healing spells?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I have a dwarf ranger but his attacking ability (on key 1) has completely disappeared, and I can't find any way to bring it back.

And which school is the one with the healing spells?
Go to the Skills page where you distribute points at level-up, and you can drag and drop the icons on the quick-access bar below. Earth has Regeneration, which restores the entire party's health, Light has heal, which heals more for a single character (and Resurrect later on).

Druid vs Shaman, which is better and why?

Discuss!!!

I'm particularly interested in hearing about someone who's run with both, either in the same or different parties. And I'm particularly thinking about it in a party that already has a Freemage as well, so Druid getting Prime and Shaman getting Fire is irrelevant since the Freemage could just pick up whichever one is unavailable otherwise.

If you don't need Prime then I'd go Shaman. Apparently some people think Air is the most damaging element when GMed. I don't buy that, but it's certainly powerful.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Can anyone tell me if the game tries to delve into the whole sci-fi affair that the previous M&M games were so fond of? I remember the devs saying that it won't, what with it being a different setting and all, but after seeing a few screenshots of what looked like a building in space, it got my hopes up, somehow.
I'm gonna give the game a go after its performance issues have been patched in a week or two, I presume.

Eriador

Arbiter
Can anyone tell me if the game tries to delve into the whole sci-fi affair that the previous M&M games were so fond of? I remember the devs saying that it won't, what with it being a different setting and all, but after seeing a few screenshots of what looked like a building in space, it got my hopes up, somehow.

Nope, the most you get are passing references, like an astrologist who saw synthetic worlds on the night sky or some fellow named Jassad who talks about having visited the "other Sorpigals" and mentioning how underdeveloped the civilizations in this world are. Also poems about the events of previous games written by "Lord Caneghem".

So, no blasters.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm gonna give the game a go after its performance issues have been patched in a week or two, I presume.

It does slightly at the very end, but nothing major.

I finally finished the game. All in all it was a very satisfying experience and I think it did a good job of capturing the spirit of adventure, all up until the 4th act. My experience with Act 4 wasn't so bad since my BD was one shotting enemies so the enemy spam didn't wear me down so much, but I doubt I'll ever do it again in future plays. The end boss was way too gimmicky and the whole crux of the fight was the enemies doing Feeble Mind on you. Having immunities against it will make it stupid easy, pointless and untacticool. I also liked the Supreme Temple of Meow. I thought it was going to be a small dungeon made of reused assets, but, no. It was entirely unique. It was really short, but enjoyable. Anyway, gud gaem. Will probably restart the game with a new party. Or go replay some old MM..

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

It does slightly at the very end, but nothing major.

I finally finished the game. All in all it was a very satisfying experience and I think it did a good job of capturing the spirit of adventure, all up until the 4th act. My experience with Act 4 wasn't so bad since my BD was one shotting enemies so the enemy spam didn't wear me down so much, but I doubt I'll ever do it again in future plays. The end boss was way too gimmicky and the whole crux of the fight was the enemies doing Feeble Mind on you. Having immunities against it will make it stupid easy, pointless and untacticool. I also liked the Supreme Temple of Meow. I thought it was going to be a small dungeon made of reused assets, but, no. It was entirely unique. It was really short, but enjoyable. Anyway, gud gaem. Will probably restart the game with a new party. Or go replay some old MM..
Where is the person you have to talk to in Karthal to access the Temple of Meow?

Zeriel

Arcane
so how much did ubisoft fuck up with this one ?

Alot!

Runs like **** and looks like it too! Prefer the originals
Figure it that much but I thought to give them benefit of the doubt I mean this thread is 192 pages long you think you guys talking about GOTY or something

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom