Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
so how much did ubisoft fuck up with this one ?

Alot!

Runs like **** and looks like it too! Prefer the originals
Figure it that much but I thought to give them benefit of the doubt I mean this thread is 192 pages long you think you guys talking about GOTY or something

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
wat

LeJosh

Savant
Well holy shit, forgive us for talking about a game such as this: that hasn't been released in over a decade. A good one longer than that.

Did anyone seriously think this would be way better than Xeen or Mandate? I'm pretty sure we all exercised caution and we're pleasantly surprised it's not franchise raep.

Also, Codex quoted a member from here in their trailer, we have to by default. :p

Supermedo

Augur
Well holy shit, forgive us for talking about a game such as this: that hasn't been released in over a decade. A good one longer than that.

Did anyone seriously think this would be way better than Xeen or Mandate? I'm pretty sure we all exercised caution and we're pleasantly surprised it's not franchise raep.

Also, Codex quoted a member from here in their trailer, we have to by default. :p
No problem, I was just asking to know it was worth it, I know the game is already cheap (for ubisoft title ) I guess I gonna wait for a sale for this one.

EDIT: And I'm still butt blasted with heroes of might & magic 6.

Eriador

Arbiter

Alot!

Figure it that much but I thought to give them benefit of the doubt I mean this thread is 192 pages long you think you guys talking about GOTY or something

It does run like shit, especially around Seahaven (aka Laghaven) and loading times get longer and longer. Graphics are good unless you absolutely hate heroes 6 art style and feature a lot of reused assets. There are also some bugs and imbalances and some other problems.

Other than that, this game is great.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Warning: incoming wall of text.

It was developed by Limbic Entertainment, with Julien Pirou from Ubisoft as the creative force behind the project. He's a fan of the M&M series and tried to make the game old-school, using World of Xeen as the main inspiration. The game is turn-based, uses grid movement and you move your entire party together; in other words, a blobber.

The drawbacks are the slow load times, numerous ambush fights, formulaic combat, slow performance issues, the fact that it was designed for 64-bit operating systems, the overworld world map which has a lot of corridors or terrain features you have to walk around, and no auto-walk.

Pirou is a fan of the Wizardry series, so he imported certain elements over, such as direct taunts, melee spells, and tougher and more infrequent battles (rather than many, easier battles from M&M). Also, even though the earlier M&M titles were the main inspiration (3-5 especially), MMX uses a party of four, as in MM 6-9 instead of parties of 6-8 characters like the earlier games. Also, it removed party positioning, which was a feature of the earliest titles. Sceptic wrote a very good post on why the game falls short in terms of tactics compared to its predecesors. Ironically, MMX doesn't feature some of the best-liked features of the later games, such as the Arcomage mini-game or paper dolls that reflect your characters' current equipment.

MMX does not have the sci-fi elements of the NWC games, and it abandoned the continuity and setting of the previous games. I actually like this fact, as Ubisoft won't touch the legacy (pun intended) of the previous games. Nevertheless, there are many subtle allusions to the previous MM games, which I enjoyed, since it indicated that the developers were fans of the series.

Things I enjoyed (warning: subjective opinions ahead): good variety of classes, grid-movement and turn-based gameplay, puzzles, reasonably large gameworld, challenging combat (aside from ambushes and mana potion chugging), no monsters scaling to the party's level, large number of sidequests, nods to the previous MM games. It reuses assets, like monster and NPC models, from Ubisoft's Heroes 5 and 6, but at least it saved them some money and allows the relaunched MM/HoMM series to have a more consistent look.

In my opinion, the game's biggest achievement is that it exists. I think it is a positive sign that companies are starting to pay attention to niche games and realize there is a section of the market that demands more than console and phone-based action games with "RPG elements". MMX is a labor of love, developed on a shoe-string budget, and I think that the fact that so many people are enjoying it and discussing it in this thread shows that it got at least of the elements of a MM game right.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

Alot!

The game was only released at page 116, the rest of it was discussion about how the development was going and the early access version.

Supermedo

Augur
Warning: incoming wall of text.

It was developed by Limbic Entertainment, with Julien Pirou from Ubisoft as the creative force behind the project. He's a fan of the M&M series and tried to make the game old-school, using World of Xeen as the main inspiration. The game is turn-based, uses grid movement and you move your entire party together; in other words, a blobber.

The drawbacks are the slow load times, numerous ambush fights, formulaic combat, slow performance issues, the fact that it was designed for 64-bit operating systems, the overworld world map which has a lot of corridors or terrain features you have to walk around, and no auto-walk.

Pirou is a fan of the Wizardry series, so he imported certain elements over, such as direct taunts, melee spells, and tougher and more infrequent battles (rather than many, easier battles from M&M). Also, even though the earlier M&M titles were the main inspiration (3-5 especially), MMX uses a party of four, as in MM 6-9 instead of parties of 6-8 characters like the earlier games. Also, it removed party positioning, which was a feature of the earliest titles. Sceptic wrote a very good post on why the game falls short in terms of tactics compared to its predecesors. Ironically, MMX doesn't feature some of the best-liked features of the later games, such as the Arcomage mini-game or paper dolls that reflect your characters' current equipment.

MMX does not have the sci-fi elements of the NWC games, and it abandoned the continuity and setting of the previous games. I actually like this fact, as Ubisoft won't touch the legacy (pun intended) of the previous games. Nevertheless, there are many subtle allusions to the previous MM games, which I enjoyed, since it indicated that the developers were fans of the series.

Things I enjoyed (warning: subjective opinions ahead): good variety of classes, grid-movement and turn-based gameplay, puzzles, reasonably large gameworld, challenging combat (aside from ambushes and mana potion chugging), no monsters scaling to the party's level, large number of sidequests, nods to the previous MM games. It reuses assets, like monster and NPC models, from Ubisoft's Heroes 5 and 6, but at least it saved them some money and allows the relaunched MM/HoMM series to have a more consistent look.

In my opinion, the game's biggest achievement is that it exists. I think it is a positive sign that companies are starting to pay attention to niche games and realize there is a section of the market that demands more than console and phone-based action games with "RPG elements". MMX is a labor of love, developed on a shoe-string budget, and I think that the fact that so many people are enjoying it and discussing it in this thread shows that it got at least of the elements of a MM game right.
Well at least they did it alright with this one and almost everybody seems to like it, see I don't trust ubitsoft after HOMM 6
the game had shit ton of bugs , stupid conflux and the infamous black screen & town view freezing that didn't get fixed even with release of shade of darkness that only counting the technical stuff and not the fuck ups in the game design itself.

I guess I might give MMX a shot but after it get polished a little and it's on sale.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It's already 12 bucks on Maoist CD key sites, can't really hope for much more of a sale.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It fell out of the Steam top 100. :negative:

You just overlooked it. It's near rank 35, between Guacamelee! and Next Car Game.

It's never going to reach the sales levels of Banner Saga or Blackguards, but I doubt they ever expected to do that well.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Attention all newfags: When you go into the thread of a recently released game and ask "SO HEY GUIZ IS THIS GOOD?", you are just begging to be misled by shitposters. You have been warned.

Zeriel

Arcane
They could just try reading the 193 pages of discussion on that very topic, too.

Or like, scroll back one page.

Mortmal

Arcane
Attention all newfags: When you go into the thread of a recently released game and ask "SO HEY GUIZ IS THIS GOOD?", you are just begging to be misled by shitposters. You have been warned.

Thats not true abelian just did a good sum up of the game qualities and flaws.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Where the hell is the Master Air Magic trainer? I desperately need to upgrade my Air magic so it doesn't get resisted by everything under the sun but I can only find Expert and Grandmaster on the lists (wtf, I'm pretty sure you can't "skip tiers" by going to a higher tier trainer, which is kind of funny).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I wish trainers would give hints on the whereabouts (not too specific) of the next tier trainer.

Air trainer is probably Seahaven or The Crag. Air trainers tend to be together with Bow/Crossbow trainers, so check "soldier barracks" or similar-sounding locations.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I wish trainers would give hints on the whereabouts (not too specific) of the next tier trainer.

Air trainer is probably Seahaven or The Crag. Air trainers tend to be together with Bow/Crossbow trainers, so check "soldier barracks" or similar-sounding locations.
Sometimes they do, like Johara in Sorpigal mentions Luce in Seahaven as the Master Magical Focus trainer, or Tristan in Seahaven mentions Gwyndal in Castle Portmeyron as the Shield trainer.
Personally, I find it an interesting element of exploration to find the trainers (though I dislike the fact that many Expert trainers were locked from Act 1 due to guard on the bridge).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah, I agree. I'm talking about vague directions like "trainer X used to live here but later moved north-east", or something.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
It's kinda funny how Brenda has become the face of Wiz 8 and not Linda Currie.

Or Greenberg or Bradley. Real game designers. Real Programmers. Not frauds.
Cleveland Mark Blakemore What do you think of MMX?

I'm supposed to be working on Grimoire. The coming week is my last opportunity to move the project forward before a bloodthirsty mob storms my underground fortress and drags me out to undergo public gauntlet and trial by fire.

I need to have the patched super demo out this week, with the pledge content information mailed out and then my third IndieGoGo campaign starts. The last thing I need to do this week is play games.

Repressed Homosexual
It's an interesting game, certainly a lot better than the drek of bald space marine shooters and hipster pixel art indie platformers, but it's obvious that they haven't had a lot of time to make the game, and that it just isn't as sophisticated or refined as the JVC ones. There's this je ne sais quoi that's missing.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Plus it was made by lieberals and advocates cultural Marxism so you know it's no good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom