Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I would be ok with reused assets if it didn't look and ran like complete ASS

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
What's wrong? Don't you like Wizardry at all Sceptic? :troll:

As far as Expert trainers being behind plot gates, that's not a fair complaint. AFAIK, there are two Expert trainers for every skill and the ones in the Crag and Karthal are only there for inattentive players who missed them the first time.

Last edited:

Disgruntled

Savant
Finished it. But..

Somehow missed Markus Wolf so technically not complete unless i try and backtrack.
Bit of an anti-climax towards the end. Wasnt troubled by the final mobs except for the tedium of wading through 200+ of em. End Boss felt like one of the easiest ones and didnt kill a single dude, Crystal spider gave me more of a challenge till i worked out his tactics.

8/10 overall for me, not going to let the final act ruin my judgement for a very engaging rpg.

Party really starts owning shit once you reach grandmaster and promotion skills along with a few good items. Before that its a significant tier higher in difficulty, at least for the group i had.
Obvious tips to people dont know if mentioned before: Relentless is the best weapon buff in the game. A good blue with relentless attached is often better than a relic. Always keep an eye out for that in shops.
Destiny is a sound investment late game to get massive crits.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Now, now, Sceptic, are we gonna have to pull a Jeff Gerstmann on you? :troll:
I may yet improve my opinion of the game. Thing is, once I manage to get past the exasperating parts of the game, or once I'm not going through one of the game's "waste 10 minutes of your life backtracking through half a dozen empty areas" I am enjoying it quite a bit. It's just a constant rollercoaster of "this is really great fun!" and "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU LIMBIC?"

I agree. There are too many flimsy skills in the game. Like I've complained already about Mana Surge. The monsters it would be most useful against are immune to it; enemies who you can use it against tend to resist it quite often and even then there are most likely a ton of other better spells to cast in its stead.
This is yet another example of the bandaid design I talked about. The same with the taunt mechanics that Decado talked about earlier. The problem with the game is that there are TOO many such examples all over the combat system, and considering the emphasis of the game is entirely there it really drags it down.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
What's wrong? Don't you like Wizardry at all Sceptic?
Not in my Might and Magic, no.

As far as Expert trainers being behind plot gates, that's not a fair complaint. AFAIK, there are two Expert trainers for every skill and the ones in the Crag and Karthal are only there for inattentive players who missed them the first time.
I was thinking of Seahaven, which is only accessible in act 2, past a completely random plot choke point (the guy on the bridge). There are exactly 10 skills for which you cannot get Expert until Seahaven. This is not exactly a hallmark of open world exploration.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
What's wrong? Don't you like Wizardry at all Sceptic?
Not in my Might and Magic, no.

I was thinking of Seahaven, which is only accessible in act 2, past a completely random plot choke point (the guy on the bridge). There are exactly 10 skills for which you cannot get Expert until Seahaven. This is not exactly a hallmark of open world exploration.
Act 1 was always supposed to be a linear starting area though. You exhaust the content there pretty fast so it's not that big of an issue IMO. Personally, I'd prefer having a completely open world from the start, but we haven't had that since MM6 so I didn't expect it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
motherfucker are you serious? i played a lot of homm6 and even enjoyed it some, but to call its art anything more than atrociously coloured, generic, plain goddamn ugly uninspired dross is an insult to your family's good name
altho I suppose the setting doesnt help much either

Nigga do you understand you're playing fucking Homam, not grimcool Dark Souls? It's not Michelangelo but after the real atrocious disgusting bestiality that was the fifth instalment with the wowized art style that made me stop playing this barf even though the underlying mechanics was great, the 6 was like a cooling balm on my fevered brow.

And settings? Really? Like the settings and "plot" of the previous Homams was reaching Witcher heights? At least Black Hole tried to attempt something new and introduce Homam players to this thing called "story". Sure it's shitty but compared it to previous Homam "me good, dem bad, kill dem all" type of plots it's fucking Shakespeare on acid.

Snerf

Learned
Is there an island that we can put people on who like homm 6 more than 5?

I bet not, because it would be empty until right now.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Speaking of ambushes, another thing I don't like is opening a door, then getting shot in the face by ranged units waiting on the other side. And because the door is on a short corridor I have to let them take another free shot at me either by going forth or retreating to duck behind a corner and wait.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Hi-res WoW graphics vs low-res WoW graphics, which is better and why

I don't think

and

xf3vtoW.png

share many similarities at all; they certainly can't be boiled down to "low-res WoW" vs. "high-res WoW"

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That HOMM5 Haven city kind of bothered me, actually. Why was is it so fucking huge? Are there no simple villages in the world? Every town is Minas Tirith?

town_knight.gif

:love:

Arkeus

Arcane
Speaking of ambushes, another thing I don't like is opening a door, then getting shot in the face by ranged units waiting on the other side. And because the door is on a short corridor I have to let them take another free shot at me either by going forth or retreating to duck behind a corner and wait.
Yeah, they changed that because of cheese tactics i think. So you are forced to put a wind shield/arcane ward (depending where you are) up before you open a door.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

You compare the best of 5 with the worst of 6.
They didn't include any town screens initially because they ran out of money and barely released the game at all. I think Limbic was the one who eventually cobbled together some town screens like a year after the release.

Yes, the creatures in 6 are colourful and way over the top, why not, it's fucking MM, but anybody who argues the 5 was done better is either blind or a German with garden gnomes in front of his house.

http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/heroes5/haven_creatures.shtml

http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/heroes-6/en-US/game/creatures/sanctuary/index.aspx

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What are they supposed to politely wait until you are engaged on melee or something? You didn't even knock.

Snerf

Learned

You compare the best of 5 with the worst of 6.
They didn't include any town screens initially because they ran out of money and barely released the game at all. I think Limbic was the one who eventually cobbled together some town screens like a year after the release.

Yes, the creatures in 6 are colourful and way over the top, why not, it's fucking MM, but anybody who argues the 5 was done better is either blind or a German with garden gnomes in front of his house.

http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/heroes5/haven_creatures.shtml

http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/heroes-6/en-US/game/creatures/sanctuary/index.aspx

Graphics aside, the mechanics of 6 are unforgivable. Tying mines to towns? Allowing (and encouraging) town conversions? The fun part was mixing and matching units but with town conversion every game degenerates into boring, single-city armies. Even if the player avoids this, the npcs will do it automatically. There isn't even any way to disable town conversion options for a more pure heroes experience.

Greatness

Cipher
Well my saves got corrupted during the final boss fight.. oh well the storyline didn't interest me at all and I was just tryign to rush to the end anyways.

Early-Mid game was a lot of fun, fairly well balanced and challenging. Around level ~18 everything became piss easy and it was just a game of spamming autoattack while my blademaster 1shot/cleaved everything to death.

In the end I was level ~35 with about 30 skill points saved on each character because there was no need to spend them.

Overall I'd give it a 7/10, worth playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom