Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh. Yeah, that was obvious.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wait, wait, wait, what are you playing with guys? The beta? Or a demo? Forgive my stupidity, but I'm a bit lost.

Edit: Oh, early access. I see it now.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn, 30€ seems a bit steep and Uplay could be the dealbreaker for me - especially if I have to keep that shit running during the game. I'm still tempted, of course, but no D1P from me.:keepmymoney:

Zeriel

Arcane
I'll wait for the Seven Seas Version drm-free version. Uplay + steam is just hahaohwow.jpg levels of full retardo.

Incidentally, I think you're all faggots. If this game actually turns out to be a legitimate Might & Magic game, it deserves our money, DRM or not.

Branm

Learned
I'll wait for the drm-free version. Uplay + steam is just hahaohwow.jpg levels of full retardo.

I'm going to leech it as soon as I can just so I don't have to deal with both. Figured id buy it just to support the fact that a major publisher is trying to resurrect something old school.

narupley

Scholar
Come on, @narupley, status report. :P

Hah sorry guys, okay!

First of all, I have yet to find Uplay "intrusive" by any means. When you run the game on Steam, it launches Uplay as well (not sure if it's the same Uplay client, or a light version). And even after the game starts, if you try to close Uplay, it gives you a warning like "closing Uplay while playing a game may have adverse effects, we recommend closing the game first before closing Uplay", or something like that. But in the actual game itself, there's no intrusiveness that I've seen at all (yet). You can press Shift+F2 to bring up the Uplay control panel or whatever where you can chat with other people about how totally awesome Ubisoft is like a schmuck. But that's about it.

Second, holy fuck, they weren't kidding when they said that "The game FPS performance is not as good as it could be." It's downright horrible. I'm on a laptop, Intel i7 ~3 Ghz (8 VCPUs), 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M. It's a beast for a laptop (relatively speaking) and has no problem playing high-end games with ultra settings. Even so forget windowed mode with this beta, even in full screen I have to lower the resolution and crank the settings down to medium-ish everywhere to have a halfway-decent experience.

Movement definitely leaves something to be desired. First, the "play as fast as I can process the input" thing people were whining about earlier counts for absolutely nothing currently. Holding down the up arrow makes you move exactly as fast as if you pressed up, waited for the movement animation to finish, pressed up again, etc. There's a noticeable and annoying lag between pressing a movement button and the movement actually happening.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I am fully expecting it to be very easy and generally watered down

A Codexer must think this way - fortunately I'm only 10% Codexian and 90% Watcher... :)

All percent faggot. :troll:

Looking forward to this, hopefully it's good.

no way, but
yPNhOZa.png

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Second, holy fuck, they weren't kidding when they said that "The game FPS performance is not as good as it could be." It's downright horrible. I'm on a laptop, Intel i7 ~3 Ghz (8 VCPUs), 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M. It's a beast for a laptop (relatively speaking) and has no problem playing high-end games with ultra settings. Even so forget windowed mode with this beta, even in full screen I have to lower the resolution and crank the settings down to medium-ish everywhere to have a halfway-decent experience.
Wow that's bad. I won't even bother looking for this beta then.

Movement definitely leaves something to be desired. First, the "play as fast as I can process the input" thing people were whining about earlier counts for absolutely nothing currently. Holding down the up arrow makes you move exactly as fast as if you pressed up, waited for the movement animation to finish, pressed up again, etc. There's a noticeable and annoying lag between pressing a movement button and the movement actually happening.
So there's no option to disable movement smoothing?

Branm

Learned
There's a noticeable and annoying lag between pressing a movement button and the movement actually happening.

That may have to do with your performance issues. @Branm, do you have the same problems?

I'm on a very similar machine (i7, 12gb am, gtx 675) getting 25 FPS at opening scene in town.

Movement is fine for me though, considered the type of game 25 fps not that bad tbh. Not like its a fps and I'm sure it will be optimized.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I'll wait for the drm-free version. Uplay + steam is just hahaohwow.jpg levels of full retardo.

Unless Gaben's holding a gun to your head right now, none's forcing you to buy the game via Steam.

True.

Still not going through the horrors of Uplay again, however, and I advise everyone to do the same. Buy the game but don't install it, torrent a non-uplay version. Trust me. It's really very very bad. And gets hacked like every 3 months or so.

Branm

Learned
There's a noticeable and annoying lag between pressing a movement button and the movement actually happening.

That may have to do with your performance issues. @Branm, do you have the same problems?

Yeah... I'm on a very similar machine (i7, 12gb am, gtx 675) getting 25 FPS at opening scene in town.

Movement is fine for me though, considered the type of game 25 fps not that bad tbh. Not like its a fps and I'm sure it will be optimized.

BTW thats with everything maxed. What sort of fps are you getting naruplev?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Unless Gaben's holding a gun to your head right now, none's forcing you to buy the game via Steam.

True.

Still not going through the horrors of Uplay again, however, and I advise everyone to do the same. Buy the game but don't install it, torrent a non-uplay version. Trust me. It's really very very bad. And gets hacked like every 3 months or so.
When was the last time you tried uplay? Because unless you and me use a different uplay, it is nothing like that.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Check out this gameplay vid, doesn't appear to be much lag in it and game looks really, really good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gPZiFUreEk#at=140

Wow, this game is definitely :incline: Major major incline. And we can thank Legend of Grimrock for this!

I pray to Allah we have 2 burdgeoning franchises now that will last us for years: LoG for Lands of Lore/Eye of the Beholder/Dungeon Master gameplay, and MMX for scratching that turn based itch ala M&M games, Wizardry, etc.

Also remember folks, if you purchase this early release version, bugs and all, you get the final game free the day it releases! There is really no reason not to get this and support it unless if you don't want the full game spoiled and/or don't want to deal with the bugs and performance/optimization issues.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
When was the last time you tried uplay? Because unless you and me use a different uplay, it is nothing like that.

I had to deal with it twice, once in homm6 beta, and once when playing M&M: Duel of Champions. In Homm6 it was a ridiculous resource hog that refused to shut down properly even after shutting down the friggin game, while in DoC I kept getting random disconnects all the fucking time.

Oh and did I mention that it managed to get hacked and had its databases stolen like THREE FUCKING TIMES since I had the misfortune of using it, including once just some 3 months ago?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A celebratory post: https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/52125e4b888ef62619000005

The last days and weeks of our dev team were quite exhausting for everyone. All of us did our best to get green lights from various departments for the Early Access version release (i.e. general QC, a department in charge of the installer process, the networking team, the compatibility team etc.). So we worked hard to fix major bugs (esp. blocker/crashes), ajdust the overall game balance and to split biggest issues into little improvements we could perform. Beyond the game development, many of us were busy with GamesCom organization, fan day, media appointments and so on. So when we got the greenlight and knew that the Early Access will finally be available, we planned a small party at Limbic Entertainment to celebrate this great event as we know we will collect even more and more precise feedback from our fans to deliver the best game possible.

Of course we are aware that there is still a lot to do, however sometimes a small celebration fuel our motivation, doesn’t it ?! :)

Kutsarit, Markus, Lucas, Achim, Carolin, Angela, Johannes, Monic, Lore, Nils, René, Denis, Karsten, Thomas, Anna, Dennis, Stephan, Marcus, Stefan

Last edited:

Stabwound

Arcane
At first i thought it was free roam like the older M&M. But just watched a gameplay video, and it is in the style of Legend of Grimrock. Which is acceptable too
Not sure if this guy is an idiot who considers MM6+ to be "the older M&M" or is it really linear like Grimrock?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Works fine for me, yay! Looks good too.

I'm also the kind of lucky person who's never had a single problem with Uplay. Like I said earlier in the thread though, Steam + Uplay is a pretty redundant and unnecessary combo no matter what.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom