Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

poetic codex

Augur
^Ah I see. Pretty cool move on Ubisoft's part.

Dorateen

Arcane
"I tend to think that as game developers we’re just ushers at a door. The “world” is really created by all the unique experiences of the players, their interactions within the environments and the relationships formed with the content..."

I wanted to pull this quote from the Ancient Lady's interview. Such sentiment echoes what I have often expressed should be the role of the developer. They are to design the world, populate it with NPCs and interesting content. Then it is the player and the player's character(s) who drive the story. A narrative that emerges from the player's actions, never forced along some writer's vision of what story they want to tell.

The best part of that introductory video was the line about Legacy being the story of four adventurers... with no pre-defined backgrounds or presumed motives and ambitions. That is for the player to define, not the developer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Talkin' about Ashan: https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.c...ew/the-role-of-the-might-magic-reference-team

Erwan_Aguirre.jpg

The Necromancer Aguirre, one of the characters of Heroes VI, looked suspiciously familiar… :)

Hi all,

For those who don’t know me yet, I’m Erwan Le Breton, Creative Director of the Might & Magic Franchise at Ubisoft.

I’ve been associated with the Might & Magic brand since its acquisition by Ubisoft in 2003, as an associate producer (on Dark Messiah), producer (on Clash of Heroes DS, Heroes V Tribes of the East, and Heroes VI), and also as the manager of the World Bible team, who created and developed the world of Ashan.

It’s always very rewarding for us to read your various posts, see our design and lore proposals dissected to the very bone, and measure the degree of your passion and dedication.

WHY DID UBISOFT DECIDE TO REVAMP THE M&M UNIVERSE?

When Nival proposed their story concept for Heroes V, it was set in Enroth but discarding the events of Heroes IV and M&M IX (the Reckoning never happened). As for Arkane’s first proposed story for the game that became Dark Messiah, it was set on Axeoth and referred to people and places from Heroes IV and M&M IX, but in a general context that was unrelated to the Might & Magic lore.

It was necessary for Ubisoft to become a central authority, and regulate what official setting we would use, to avoid feckless name-dropping, “retcons” of previous games or inconsistencies.

nikolai.jpg

The fact the young Griffin Emperor in Heroes V is named Nikolai is a remnant of a previous version of that game’s story, when it was taking place on Enroth and that character was intended to be Nicolai Ironfist.

However, when we acquired the brand from 3DO, they didn’t give us any kind of “closing-kit” or world-bible, for instance a unified document compiling all Might & Magic background ever written. Information was out there, but in the various game manuals, community websites, etc. The mass of backstory and continuity was intimidating, and sometimes confusing.

Rather than try to modify things that people really loved and enjoyed, we considered it was better to build our world from the ground up, and offer a clear, controlled, and common setting for all our Might & Magic projects.

However, we tried to capture what we perceived was the core essence of theMight & Magic universe. The more obvious feature, inherited from the Heroesseries, was the fact the world was split into various “Factions”. By “Faction”, we mean the city / nation / race coalitions known to the Heroes fans as Haven, Inferno, Academy, Dungeon, Stronghold, etc.

We also wanted to preserve the epic quality of the former Might & Magic titles, which drove the player to experience Fantasy on a grand scale and participate in world-shattering events. By that we meant, for instance, the countless hours of gameplay that let us ascend from lowly (level 1) weaklings to semi-divine heroes, exploring / conquering dozens of cities and dungeons, casting awesome spells like Armageddon, defeating or commanding hordes of legendary creatures like Archangels, Dragons, Titans, etc., and ultimately saving the world from apocalyptic doom.

We were also determined to maintain the ambiguous oppositions and moral choices which made the Might & Magic narratives so compelling. Indeed, rather than a striking opposition between Good and Evil, we felt there was, in the former Might & Magic games, a balance of the opposites, with many characters painted in shades and grey.

Shadenuat

Arcane
When Nival proposed their story concept for Heroes V, it was set in Enroth but discarding the events of Heroes IV and M&M IX (the Reckoning never happened)
Good idea, my russian brothers know and love their HoMM and M&M

As for Arkane’s first proposed story for the game that became Dark Messiah, it was set on Axeoth and referred to people and places from Heroes IV and M&M IX, but in a general context that was unrelated to the Might & Magic lore
Good idea too, we'd still get familiar world, but they could do their own story

It was necessary for Ubisoft to become a central authority
Figures, publishers hate good ideas

offer a clear, controlled, and common setting
Generic modern fantasy sells.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New classes incoming: https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/what-to-patch-next-the-results

WHAT TO PATCH NEXT: THE RESULTS

HEY EVERYONE,
Thanks for your votes on the first “What to patch next?” pole. The comments showed already very early which the top vote options are: Item compare and map notes. But there can only be one winner …

ITEM COMPARE WITH 55%
item_compare.png

The team has started today with the implementation of the feature. It will be part of the first official patch.

Please note: Also the other features from the poll will be implemented for a later game version (not in the next patch)

The big question you may have now is:

WHEN WILL THE OFFICIAL PATCH BE RELEASED?
We are currently busy implementing the features and bug fixes for that patch. This also contains fixes and changes we made by the feedback from you. We still need some time to finish everything and of course for the implementation of the item compare. :) We have many new nice features ready for you. Especially …

… NEW CLASSES!
Yes, the official patch will allow you to test some new classes. So stay tuned for the next updates on the open dev blog.

Cheers,
Your MMX team

Luzur

Good Sir
When Nival proposed their story concept for Heroes V, it was set in Enroth but discarding the events of Heroes IV and M&M IX (the Reckoning never happened)
Good idea, my russian brothers know and love their HoMM and M&M

you dont happen to have a reason for that, do you? ive noticed over the years in the M&M "fanuniverse" that alot of russians/easterners/slavs is totally into MM6-8 and the heroes series, KGB miss those at the border??

Figures, publishers hate good ideas

In an alternate universe, the Codex is currently whining about Ubisoft "raping the Enroth setting". +M

Ashan was probably the lesser evil.

we should totally open up a gateway to that universe and in a big swoop double our numbers.

imagine all those arguement/PLANETICKETS/your opinion-is-shit threads between multiverse and/or bizarro world Drogs, Prospers, Andhairas, Nomasks and whatnot.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Seems like there is a leak of this game in the internet. Is this old news already?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Seems like there is a leak of this game in the internet. Is this old news already?

What do you mean, "leak"? There's an early access alpha version. Probably people are pirating it.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Looking forward to some new classes. I find the Elf to be completely worthless so far. Maybe it's the nature of the first act, but there's rarely enough time to get off ranged shots. And because 50% of the characters are melee, the party make up -- if spanning across every class -- tends to heavily favor close combat.

Shadenuat

Arcane
you dont happen to have a reason for that, do you? ive noticed over the years in the M&M "fanuniverse" that alot of russians/easterners/slavs is totally into MM6-8 and the heroes series, KGB miss those at the border??
Timing I guess. Right games happened at right time. 90's was the time when russians got their hands on PC's, men in their 25 and 30ies, they got their hands on King's Bounty, HoMM, Xeen, and they were the first to get access to internetz, FIDO and then forums. Hence the remnants of this culture showing up, :x: movement for good old games strong

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Timing I guess. Right games happened at right time. 90's was the time when russians got their hands on PC's, men in their 25 and 30ies, they got their hands on King's Bounty, HoMM, Xeen, and they were the first to get access to internetz, FIDO and then forums. Hence the remnants of this culture showing up, :x: movement for good old games strong

Pretty much the same happened here in Potato.

Zeriel

Arcane
Looking forward to some new classes. I find the Elf to be completely worthless so far. Maybe it's the nature of the first act, but there's rarely enough time to get off ranged shots. And because 50% of the characters are melee, the party make up -- if spanning across every class -- tends to heavily favor close combat.

Rangers can GM daggers, and daggers are (like all previous M&M games) arguably the best damage. Rogue types have always been endgame kings in M&M games, though, so it's no surprise they seem weak this early.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Hey Luzur, where's this guy getting his information from? http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/796289-Lets-discuss-new-classes?p=9285020

Full class list and promotions:
Human: Mercenary (Windsword), Crusader (Paladin), Freemage (Archmage)
Elf: Bladedancer (Blademaster), Ranger (Warden), Druid (Druid Elder)
Dwarf: Defender (Shield Guard), Scout (Pathfinder), Runepriest (Runelord)
Half-orc: Barbarian (Warmonger), Hunter (Marauder), Shaman (Bloodcaller)

EDIT: Oh I see, naughty Russians digging through the game's files http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/788950-Обсуждение-Might-amp-Magic-X-Legacy-(Discussion-for-Russian-speaking-users)?p=9243294&viewfull=1#post9243294

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/wanted-experienced-modders

WANTED: EXPERIENCED MODDERS

Hello everyone,

we're currently working on the modkit for MMX, and we'd like some experienced modders to test it before the release. Does that sound appealing to you? Have you worked with Unity, have you done some nice game maps and/or mods before? Then show us some of your finest pieces of work and be one of the first people to create a map or a mod for MMX!

The modkit will not exactly look like this, but similar.

If your work convinces us, you will get the opportunity to test our modkit before everyone else does. We're planning to present your results to the community as examples for what can be done with the kit.

Are you interested, or would you like to suggest someone? Then please write in the comments and we will contact you via direct message. Deadline is Friday, September 27th, 2013.

Cheers,
Your MMX team

Luzur

Good Sir
Hey Luzur, where's this guy getting his information from? http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/796289-Lets-discuss-new-classes?p=9285020

Full class list and promotions:
Human: Mercenary (Windsword), Crusader (Paladin), Freemage (Archmage)
Elf: Bladedancer (Blademaster), Ranger (Warden), Druid (Druid Elder)
Dwarf: Defender (Shield Guard), Scout (Pathfinder), Runepriest (Runelord)
Half-orc: Barbarian (Warmonger), Hunter (Marauder), Shaman (Bloodcaller)

EDIT: Oh I see, naughty Russians digging through the game's files http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/788950-Обсуждение-Might-amp-Magic-X-Legacy-(Discussion-for-Russian-speaking-users)?p=9243294&viewfull=1#post9243294

hmm, looks like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom