Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mortal Kombat 1 Reboot

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
i would prefer if they went back in time to first tournament. tired of modern fighting games, gib me some gud medieval fun with monsters and sheeeiiiit.
criminally underused setting. there was what, weaponlord on sega and... what else?
Hippodrome in the arcades comes to mind.

And ... Gladiator also from the arcades.

Busyman

Novice
FyIqL4daMAAY9xM

FyIqL4cacAAMnUL

FyIqL4faMAARpA7

FyIqL4gaQAAxT56
Looks way too flashy, completely lacking the 90s low budget action movie aesthetic that made Mortal Kombat awesome.
Also, the chicks are move covered than a burqa wearing virgin in Afghanistan.

What the fuck are you even talking about. This is probably the most aligned the series has been with its original movie roots since the original 2D games. There’s characters in this one that look like they stepped out of the old original games, and they pared back the new designs to something more in line with the originals (and the first movie) as opposed to the busyness of the character designs in later games.

Big Trouble in Little China is also like one of the most big budget movies to come out in 1986.

This is why I'm liking it so far. Everytime the oldschool characters came on screen, I got flashbacks to playing MK 1 and 2 as a kid. Even though it's been over 30 years, it somehow looks like MK1 and MK2 upgraded, which is a plus for me.

A lot of the characters have that 90s feel to them, like Johnny Cage even moves and fights like he is straight out of a 90s martial arts flick.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I find the kameo characters standing there posturing whilst the main fighters are having their intro kind of cute for some reason.
kano has no idea why he is there assisting kenshi fighting liu kang but he is just happy to be there.

Looks like a lot of footage of the game has been coming out over the last hour.

Some lunatics claimed that Kano is in main roster because he's doing heartrip in the trailer. Now, when Kameo Fatalities are proved, we may be certain that overused characters will be throw out of the windows to free space for DEMANDED 3D era characters like Havik, Sareena, Reiko, Daegon or Onaga.

Oh, Li Mei is komming:

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Looks like a lot of footage of the game has been coming out over the last hour.

Some lunatics claimed that Kano is in main roster because he's doing heartrip in the trailer. Now, when Kameo Fatalities are proved, we may be certain that overused characters will be throw out of the windows to free space for DEMANDED 3D era characters like Havik, Sareena, Reiko, Daegon or Onaga.

Oh, Li Mei is komming:

Sareena was pretty good.
I remember she used to have the hots for the original Sub-Zero (Bi-Han) in MK: Mythologies.
You have the choice of performing a fatality on her (classic Sub-Zero spine rip) or spare her. If you spare her, she will later help you out.

That’s funny, I just noticed Sub-Zero has a Fatality that’s basically Tessai death from Ninja Scroll, and when I went to find a clip of Tessai’s death on YouTube the first video was a Mortal Kombat 1 Ninja Scroll comparison.

1996229eb6f4dec42bfc272869f62fbf9271ee15.gifv

It's so good it's not happening, suddenly Hotaru is confirmed:

Oh, and they not even try to hide that MK12 Scorpion is not Hanzo but Kuai Liang, the younger Sub-Zero and Sub-Zero is Bi-Han, pre-Noob.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Oh, and they not even try to hide that MK12 Scorpion is not Hanzo but Kuai Liang, the younger Sub-Zero and Sub-Zero is Bi-Han, pre-Noob.

Holy smokes. The fire chain spear get over here guy is actually the ice throwing freeze guy who is also around but he was actually the shadowy assassin guy at a future time in the past!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I don't get how you guys get wrapped up in this, it's like a soap opera for 12 year old boys.

Melcar

Arcane

Holy smokes. The fire chain spear get over here guy is actually the ice throwing freeze guy who is also around but he was actually the shadowy assassin guy at a future time in the past!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I don't get how you guys get wrapped up in this, it's like a soap opera for 12 year old boys.

So you weren't 12 when you played MK?

mediocrepoet

Patron

So you weren't 12 when you played MK?
Mortal Kombat didn't exist when I was 12 and the first one wasn't quite this retarded, it was just silly and story light like fighting games used to be.

Poseidon00

Arcane
It looks like it was built using the skeleton of Injustice 3, lot of tells there, so gameplay-wise I am sure I will love it. Injustice 2 is by far my favorite fighting game ever and I will fuck anyone up in it, play me online.

Storyline wise, I am sad by what Mortal Kombat has become. MK11 was hot garbage and this doesn't look any better in that regard. Mortal Kombat once had the best storylines of any fighting game without a doubt. The Deadly Alliance/Deception/Armageddon era of games were fantastic and had me invested in the lore of the world. The death of Liu Kang spurred on a chain of defeats that would last for three games and ultimately lead to the final defeat of Earthrealm. It was great.

Then immediately after having lightning in a bottle they resort to the worst plot devices of all time- alternate timelines, time travel, and multiverses. Now, like all storylines that follow this route, nothing matters at all and nothing that happens is of any real consequence because you can just pull a macguffin out of your ass.

This isn't even recognizable as MK without the name

Poseidon00

Arcane
According to this, Kameo roster consists of not only 3D era characters but also ones were previously unplayable:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKomb..._boon_confirms_obscure_kameo_kharacters_that/

So who thay may be - Shadow Priest? LK Grandmaster? Hornbuckle? Kia? Jataaka? No-Face? Tasia? Living Tree?

My bet is on Wu-Lee from Armageddon.

CyS1BQqXcAQ0eX1.jpg

I would like to see Argus or Deliah. Being a "Son of Argus" like Taven and Daegon was enough to make them on-par with some of the strongest in the realms, let's see what the big man can do.

Or Motaro for that matter. Don't tell me it can't be done.

Or Motaro for that matter. Don't tell me it can't be done.

Motaro is guaranteed as Kameo, it's the last chance to bring him back in centaur form.

Mate, here is another hint for more 3D era characters being revived:

https://venturebeat.com/games/ed-boon-on-mortal-kombat-1s-new-features-and-twists/

GamesBeat: One of my concerns was whether we were just going to see the original Mortal Kombat cast. But seeing someone like Kenshi in there is reassuring. Are we going to see more characters beyond the original trilogy?

Boon:
Yes. We have characters who represent the arcade era, and then there’s the Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armageddon era. Then there’s the 9, X, 11 era. There’s definitely some, what you might take in as surprise appearances by some of the characters from the 3D eras.

Aemar

Arcane
According to this, Kameo roster consists of not only 3D era characters but also ones were previously unplayable:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKomb..._boon_confirms_obscure_kameo_kharacters_that/

So who thay may be - Shadow Priest? LK Grandmaster? Hornbuckle? Kia? Jataaka? No-Face? Tasia? Living Tree?

My bet is on Wu-Lee from Armageddon.

CyS1BQqXcAQ0eX1.jpg

So apparently Ed Boon kind of confirmed a lot of these extremely shit tier cameo characters: Khameleon, Dark Priest, Moloch, Hsu Hao, Mavado, Tremor, Motaro, Drahmin, D'Vorah, Bo Rai Cho, Mokap, Cassie Cage, Ferra.

:killit:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can't believe people are so excited about this kameo bullshit. Is that the best MK can offer now?
Surprisingly, it's only bullshit at face value. It's a way to limit combo breakers and they are a legit wake-up option. On top of that, kameos are a less obnoxious implementation of variations, giving players more gameplay freedom and creativity. A lot of the actual bullshit from MK11 is gone. No more meter burn 50/50s on top of 50/50s, no more regenerating meter giving players basically unlimited use of enhanced specials, combo breakers can break fatal blows and the fatal blows themselves have a little anime moment before they go off, giving people more time to prepare for them, etc. From what I've seen, MK1 is a return to more classic gameplay.

Johannes

Arcane
Whats the difference between a reboot of original MK compared to just releasing a MK XVI or whatever? I dont get it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom