Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Hellion, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    I prefer the spellcasting. But Wildshape Elder Fire Elemental came in handy in that one level.

^ Top  
  2. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Fishy, the best (or most often used) Shifter forms are either casters or aren't unarmed, so you get very few things from the Monk level. You'd get a lot of other, better things from other classes, like Dwarven Defender or even Weapon Master (very difficult to build and very feat-starved). Maybe even Assassin. Dragon shape uses unarmed attacks, but you don't need to be a Shifter to get access to it.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, the Dwarven Defender Shifter Undead Lord build was fun. Weapon Master is too much effort for too little gain, IMO.

Plain Druid 19/Monk1 to Druid 29/Monk1 is good also.

^ Top  
  4. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Weapon Master is an interesting build, you build around spear first and then scythe, but it's debatable whether it's worth the weird/difficult leveling. I did theorycraft such a build in the NWN modules thread. Champion of Torm might also work (spear weapon focus). The point is, Monk/Shifter is bland, both mechanically and gameplay-wise, and can be better by using a different class.

^ Top  
  5. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Weapon Master is best for a class that concentrates on a rapier/scimitar or scythe. The expanded crit range and damage is nasty with the right weapons (and epic feats).

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    The problem with Shifter/Weapon Master is the fact you have to get pre-epic feats in the epic levels in order to specialize in scythe, which is not good. Either that or waste all the Weapon Master levels pre-epic and a feat to get access to scythe as a Druid, which is also not good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Which is exactly why you don't do it with a Druid. I thought that was obvious when I said "a class that concentrates on a rapier/scimitar or scythe", which obviously do not include any caster class.

^ Top  
  8. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Shifters do have a form which uses a scythe. Quite a good one actually, if not the best one. And you can do a melee Druid/Weapon Master (without Shifter), just not very easily due to the many feats required for the WM and the scythe/scimitar focus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Which is not what I said. I used the word "best" for a reason.

^ Top  
  10. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    But every class can theoretically concentrate on scythes and scimitars. The difference is that a Fighter or Champion of Torm would get access to WM faster due to the bonus feats. If you call that "the best classes which concentrate on scimitar or scythe", then yeah, sure.

^ Top  
  11. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    "Casters going into WM is better than fighters going into WM."
    - how to play optimally according to Lacrymas.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    If you haven't noticed, the question concerned druid and mage builds. Discussion evolved to include Shifter.
    But hey, thanks for your valuable insight concerning best classes to promote to a Weapon Master! :hmmm:

^ Top  
  13. Fishy Savant

Fishy
    Cheers, I'll have to give it a go. Haven't played a shifter in high levels, so I enjoy the monk level for most of my time in the first/second tier forms. Got Tyrants of the Moonsea waiting, and it starts at level 15, so maybe I'll do that there.

^ Top  
  14. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Yes, and WM (which was mentioned) is a terrible class to add to either of that. Thank you for coming.

^ Top  
  15. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Druid/Shifter/WM is actually not that out there if you concentrate on the Drider form and its epic version exclusively. The problem is if you want to get undead shape. It's not that other forms which use weapons aren't good, like the Kobold Commando, but you can't specialize in their weapons due to the Druid restrictions without wasting a precious feat. Druids get scimitars, however, but there are no forms which use a scimitar sadly. Rakshasa is another possibility (it wields a staff), but it's kind of a weird form, like a combination of a caster and fighter and I'm not sure if melee is the best way to play it. It's mostly a situational anti-mage form imo.

^ Top  
  16. Bara Magister

Bara
    Was a new beta patch released on March 11. Ever close to actually being a enhanced edition.

Oh also back on February 18th they confirmed they are still working on a new game and it'll be their own IP.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine

Volourn
    "Three new portraits"

Finally reaches the requirement for 'enhancement'.

FUKK OFF BEAMDOG!

^ Top  
  18. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Neverwinter Nights 2 - vector line mod?

^ Top  
  19. Eirinjas Arcane Patron

Eirinjas
    RPG Wokedex
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sabotin Scholar

Sabotin
    I guess it'd be difficult to finance such small games normally. Should sell-out to Microsoft and get the AoE2 Definitive treatment :) .

I'll still remain cautious and cynical about the improvements. So far there's 2 things I love from EE (fixed some graphical issues I had and customisable highlighting) and all the rest are more in the "could be great, but..." category. Too often I have the feeling that it's just one type of issue traded for another, netting in maybe a marginal improvement, if that.

For example that lighting looks great on things that are supposed to be round and the ambience shadows look more "correct", but on the other hand it exposes the poor/blocky models more, there's some color bleeding effect over the whole screen instead of just at the edge of the character illumination and the water reflects ambient light sources that should only be visible in the toolset...
    Keyholing would be a good idea if not for the obnoxious wavy edges and it going through ALL the geometry including placeables. Fortunately it's tweakable now with size and you can bind it to only show when highlighting things with tab. There used to be a setting where you could set the height of objects affected (which was a great idea), but can't find that anymore.
    Improved pathfinding, just feels different but equally annoying sometimes. You still get instances of dumb AoO provocation and instead of getting caught on things and rubberbanding the game just doesn't seem to let you get too close to the edges of walls and things. You can now sometimes hit a bump on the ground as if hitting a wall and if you get stuck (which can still happen somehow) you can't "wiggle" yourself out of it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. razvedchiki Erudite Sad Loser

razvedchiki
    Which vault graphic mods work well with the ee?

^ Top  
  22. Gargaune Magister

Gargaune
    I guess you missed the parts with the Curated Content interface, UI scaling and renderer upgrades.

For players, the main benefits are Tyrants of the Moonsea and perhaps the new lighting model (personally, I like it). For mod makers there's definitely some solid new features in the Toolset. That built-in module downloader might also be an interesting play on Beamdog's part, we'll see how it works out.

Options -> Game Options -> UI -> Hide Second Storey Tiles, at least that's where it is on the latest public release. Or have you upgraded to the latest Beta?

^ Top  
  23. Mebrilia Liturgist

Mebrilia
    Yes Render upgate.. Aka.. Slap some shader in ugly terrible low poly meshes and bad texture "improvement"

^ Top  
  24. Gargaune Magister

Gargaune
    Correct, renderer upgrade. I didn't say mesh or texture updates, did I?

^ Top  
  25. AliceAlcina Learned

AliceAlcina
    I need more portraits - official portraits. Mod portrait seem so wrong to use and trigger me in so many ways, while I have pretty much done with original portraits. Only thing is I dislike how many of those portraits seems like modern copy cats of Baldur esque style.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.