Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So they went from Angeline Jolie:
Portait-copycat-jolie.webp
and created a somewhat sexy elf:
Elf-female-01-orig.webp
and then finally ended up with:
Elf-female-01.webp
a MILF Greta Thunberg. Probably a MELF joke in there somewhere as well. For the sickos anyway.

The decline really did start early. Or maybe Greta Thunberg is some kind of pixe/golem clone from the natural world sent to torment us. There could be trillions of them spawning underground like Uruk-Hai in LOTR...

Poseidon00

Arcane
So they went from Angeline Jolie:
Portait-copycat-jolie.webp
and created a somewhat sexy elf:
Elf-female-01-orig.webp
and then finally ended up with:
Elf-female-01.webp
a MILF Greta Thunberg. Probably a MELF joke in there somewhere as well. For the sickos anyway.

The decline really did start early. Or maybe Greta Thunberg is some kind of pixe/golem clone from the natural world sent to torment us. There could be trillions of them spawning underground like Uruk-Hai in LOTR...

Third one is best.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Pretty sure those portrait changes pre-date the EE.
They came at a time when I was still playing the game and I don't play or own the "enhanced" edition.
It was either when Hordes of the Underdark came out or with the last big patch "Wyvern Crown of Cormyr" that added horsies and the last new tileset.
Meaning it was, in either case, before Greta was even born, so I dunno how deep the conspiracy goes, here.

Gargaune

Magister
They came at a time when I was still playing the game and I don't play or own the "enhanced" edition.
It was either when Hordes of the Underdark came out or with the last big patch "Wyvern Crown of Cormyr" that added horsies and the last new tileset.
Meaning it was, in either case, before Greta was even born, so I dunno how deep the conspiracy goes, here.
It happened during the the game's primary lifecycle, around when HotU rolled out and well before the PM program, if I recall correctly. So yes, this is BioWare's ancient history.

Gargaune

Magister
Oh, for fuck's sake! Just tried the v83 patch and POST_ waypoints appeared to be broken when I tested my hobby module, all posted NPCs were facing East regardless of marker orientation. Anyone else run into this? A quick skim of Beamdog's forums didn't show any threads on it, but I can't be the only one.

I ended up rolling back to v82, I guess you could say I, uh... can't work under these conditions. Up and running again but I still have to redo my script editor colour scheme. I also ran into a cosmetic bug with the Shiny Water shader, it was throwing a weird outline onto overlapping level geometry which wasn't the case before. Either way, I can deal with turning Shiny Water off, but broken post functionality is out of the question. It's a shame, 'cause I did like the new decimal UI scaling even if I wasn't too keen on the new font. I hope they're aware of this stuff.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I remember correctly patch 1.68 or around? It also added cloaks. It's just patched NWN stuff.

Gargaune

Magister
Why hope? Just tell them. Report bugs.
I looked up their bug reporting platform last night, I'll put a ticket in as long as it doesn't require me to register an account. I hate registering accounts. But first I'll want to test both bugs with a clean install on my laptop when I can be arsed.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Very deep indeed:

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/22/greta-thunberg-time-traveller-1891-photo

Gargaune

Magister
Oh, come on! So I rolled back to v82 after my brief run in with the latest build, only to notice another toolset bug - the tile lights won't update in the viewport. Turning viewport lighting on and off or hitting Refresh doesn't do jack shit, you gotta close and reload the area if you want to see any changes you've done to the tile lighting. Interestingly, while I've confirmed this bug has been present in both the v81 and v82 builds, Beamdog fixed it in the latest v83... However, v83 has the aforementioned bug with NPCs all turning East on their POST waypoints.

Well, I've now confirmed it the POST bug on both my PCs, Poseidon00 also kindly did it on his install, guess I'll look into Beamdog's bug reporting when I have the time.

As a sidenote, I've also complained about a shader bug with Shiny Water in the latest build, but I was unable to replicate it on my laptop, might be driver-specific. But the F9 Quick Launch is effectively unusable on either of my machines, stutters like crazy.

Last edited:

razvedchiki

Erudite
are there any challenging encounters in HOTU? im at the point where i have to take off the dark elves army near the good dark elves city, and have cutting through anything without much effort.

Cael

Arcane
are there any challenging encounters in HOTU? im at the point where i have to take off the dark elves army near the good dark elves city, and have cutting through anything without much effort.
If you made your build correctly, then not really. You pretty much cut through anything with a bog basic high level fighter/RDD, so you can do much more with casters. It is only the dramaqueen Int 10 Wizards that will suffer.

The only one I can think of off-hand is the Valsharess fight, but that is only because she has Heal and is not afraid to use it.

d1nolore

Savant
The hardest fight in HotU is probably the mirror image.

but you know games are made to be completed these days, not defeated.

Gargaune

Magister
Mods Beamdog have fixed it! Just checked and since that 83.8193.23 build I was screeching about, they've put out two new patches. Must've finally kidnapped an Owlcat developer, well done! Anyway, that POST bug seems to be sorted and they've been tinkering with the new font, it had been (justly) catching a lot of heat on their own forums.

Edit: Scratch that, there's still something odd with the POST waypoints. Looks like NPCs will ignore them if they're already nearby, they might've added a range tolerance. Oh well, I can work with it for now, at least they've stopped staring into the sunrise. My shiny water bug's still there but that might be GPU-related and I'm in no rush to update my drivers. Last kicker is I've noticed a bit more Toolset instability, got two "pure virtual function call" crashes while I was messing around.

Last edited:

rogueknight333

Arbiter

Very little challenge. The demi-lich in Ch. 2 might be a little tough if you do not bring any weapons that can actually get through all his numerous immunities, resistances, etc. The Ch. 3 fight against Grimgnaw and his companions can be a bit difficult if you go into it unprepared, and that is likely enough given how easy most everything else is. The final boss fight might sometimes be a little difficult depending on previous decisions you have made, but is probably just as likely to be rendered laughably easy.

Mods Beamdog have fixed it! Just checked and since that 83.8193.23 build I was screeching about, they've put out two new patches. Must've finally kidnapped an Owlcat developer, well done! Anyway, that POST bug seems to be sorted and they've been tinkering with the new font, it had been (justly) catching a lot of heat on their own forums.

Now we need to find out what new bugs they introduced fixing these. Beamdog patching is like a literal popamole game.

Gargaune

Magister
Okay, someone really needs to have another go at the renderer's frame cap. If I toggle it on (at 130 FPS, mind you!), I get slightly choppy camera rotation and severely uneven mousewheel zoom (even though it works butter smooth from the keyboard). If I leave it off, it's all nice and silky, minus the part where the game churns out 500 FPS and runs my GPU like it's Cyberpunk. It's summer, guys, it's hot! I don't wanna run my aircon just to play Shadows of bloody Undrentide!

Cael

Arcane

Very little challenge. The demi-lich in Ch. 2 might be a little tough if you do not bring any weapons that can actually get through all his numerous immunities, resistances, etc. The Ch. 3 fight against Grimgnaw and his companions can be a bit difficult if you go into it unprepared, and that is likely enough given how easy most everything else is. The final boss fight might sometimes be a little difficult depending on previous decisions you have made, but is probably just as likely to be rendered laughably easy.

Now we need to find out what new bugs they introduced fixing these. Beamdog patching is like a literal popamole game.
Cuckdog bug fixing:
Dev 1: We have a bug. We can fix this by creating a flag that will tell the game that we have this condition.
Dev 2: Nice! Put it in Register 4.
Dev 1: We don't know what Register 4 does.
Dev 2: We don't know how to modify the engine to make a completely new register, so just dump it there!
Dev 1: OK. Fine.
*2 weeks later*
Dev 1: We have another bug...

KafkaBot

Scholar
Serious question: how bad is this Enhanced Edition? As disastrous as the Baldur's Gates or is it rather acceptable, like their version of Icewind Dale? I ask because I never played the first Neverwinter Nights (or the second one, for that matter; I went straight to MOTB) and this is being sold for peanuts right now. Since purchase adds both the original and the Enhanced Edition to my GOG library, I've been wondering which version I should use for my first playthrough of this.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom