Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Cael

Arcane
By the way, is NWN the only mainstream RPG where the main character does not get a canon happy ending?
What do you mean?

In the OC, you got hailed as a hero and like all adventurers, sort of wander off into the sunset after a while.
In SoU, you disappear into the Shadow World to explore and stuff, only to emerge...
...in HotU, where you eventually take out Mephi and live happily ever after with your drow girlfriend.

The main character of the two expansions is a different person from the OC. It's confirmed by HotU by your former companions, where several of them mentioned the protagonist of the OC was banished from the city. And Aribeth, his former love interest, is dead. And in Hell. And possibly will soon be riding the cock of the protagonist of the expansions. And all his companions have remained in the city.
I know they are different. What's your point?

All of the OC's companions turns up in HotU, which is in Waterdeep. They all left Neverwinter, probably because Nasher is a massive cunt, something that is reinforced in NWN2.

You don't need to have Aribeth as your love interest in the OC. Shandra or Linu works just as well, and if your protag is female, you have Daelen or Aarin.

In my opinion, the best happy ending outcome for HotU is Aribeth with the planetar guy and you with the drow assassin or the tiefling, and the Gith monk gets stabbed to death, but that is just me.

I just don't get your assertion that all turns to shit for both protags in NWN.

Cael

Arcane
let's not pretend anyone actually ever beat the NWN OC

Not only did I beat the OC, I enjoyed it. The fact that most major characters end the game unsatisfied is one of the better things about it.
I just find it funny there is no "kill them all and drag Aribeth out by the hair" option for Evil characters at the end of the OC. What is Nasher going to do to a rampaging level 20+ character other than get out of his way?

Cael

Arcane
let's not pretend anyone actually ever beat the NWN OC
I did like once and then couldn't ever get myself to do it again. Same is true for the entire series though.
Did it a few times. Fighter/Bard/RDD twice and a pure Druid once that I can recall. I might have done it with a pure Sorcerer and a Cleric as well. I do recall making that bone golem thing, so I must have gone through once with a Wizard. It's been a while.

bec de corbin

Educated
I was actually wondering: from what I remember if you import from the end of SoU into HotU there's some minor acknowledgements of it in dialog. Do they mention that you're the guy from the OC if you import a guy who beat that?

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

I was actually wondering: from what I remember if you import from the end of SoU into HotU there's some minor acknowledgements of it in dialog. Do they mention that you're the guy from the OC if you import a guy who beat that?
No, the OC is completely standalone. You're supposed to start SoU with a brand-new character (a graduating apprentice in some dwarf's adventurer's guild), and canonically it is the same person in HotU (who picked up Mephito's relic while trying to escape the Shadow Realm, to which xe escaped after beating the medusa at the end of the first campaign).

I believe I played it with a fan-made mod that bridged the gap between SoU and HotU, it was pretty neat.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
By the way, is NWN the only mainstream RPG where the main character does not get a canon happy ending?
What do you mean?

In the OC, you got hailed as a hero and like all adventurers, sort of wander off into the sunset after a while.
In SoU, you disappear into the Shadow World to explore and stuff, only to emerge...
...in HotU, where you eventually take out Mephi and live happily ever after with your drow girlfriend.

The main character of the two expansions is a different person from the OC. It's confirmed by HotU by your former companions, where several of them mentioned the protagonist of the OC was banished from the city. And Aribeth, his former love interest, is dead. And in Hell. And possibly will soon be riding the cock of the protagonist of the expansions. And all his companions have remained in the city.

All of the OC's companions turns up in HotU, which is in Waterdeep. They all left Neverwinter, probably because Nasher is a massive cunt, something that is reinforced in NWN2.

You don't need to have Aribeth as your love interest in the OC. Shandra or Linu works just as well, and if your protag is female, you have Daelen or Aarin.

In my opinion, the best happy ending outcome for HotU is Aribeth with the planetar guy and you with the drow assassin or the tiefling, and the Gith monk gets stabbed to death, but that is just me.

None of the possible love interests remain in a relationship with the OC's protagonist. None of them accompanied him into exile. It is explicitly stated that the protagonist did not LEAVE Neverwinter, he was BANISHED. He got denied literally any and all fruits of his/her labours.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

I meant the enhancement and new modules. I've played NWN lol.

bec de corbin

Educated
I like Daggerford and Tyrants alright. It's nice that the original makers finally get to make some money off of them after getting fucked by Atari back in the day, and they are more stable and polished than the free, cancelled versions released on the vault back then. On the other hand, Dark Dreams of Furiae is dogshit and nobody should give them money for it.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
What the hell is people's problem with the OC? Its a bit generic, sure, but hardly the most crippling CRPG experience ever made by man.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

I beat it, and the only part that wasn't total shit was the charmed wood where you summon a balrog.

Cael

Arcane
What do you mean?

None of the possible love interests remain in a relationship with the OC's protagonist. None of them accompanied him into exile. It is explicitly stated that the protagonist did not LEAVE Neverwinter, he was BANISHED. He got denied literally any and all fruits of his/her labours.
What fruits? After all the shit Nasher did, my Lawful Good PC was willing to burn the place down and walk away. It was clear right from Chapter 1 that you were doing it not because of the accolades of the Neverwinter people, but because you were paid to do so. The Neverwinter people were nothing more than a baying mob of psychos that deserved all they get. Seriously, I was pretty happy wandering through a burning NWN in Chapter 4. Fuck 'em.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
What the hell is people's problem with the OC? Its a bit generic, sure, but hardly the most crippling CRPG experience ever made by man.
I think the OC could be considered dull, but when NWN was originally released, it was very, very buggy. The two combined made for a lot of angst. I played it when it was released and quit because the while OC was boring, there was much more interesting content available.

When the Enhanced Edition was released - I did play it through the OC just to complete it. The bugs are fixed, so it's stable and I've played less interesting stories and the NPC's aren't too bad and have multiple quests each.

A telling achievement:

20200925 - Well there is this.png

bec de corbin

Educated
I've never finished it. I did play SoU and HotU though and they're a lot more enjoyable, which probably contributes to why people don't care much for the main campaign.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
NWN was my first D&D game as a kid and I finished the OC then. I have never managed to do so again and have no intention of doing it. It's grindy, it's formulaic, and it's generic, which ultimately makes it boring. Yeah, there are some memorable characters and locations like Aribeth and the haunted woods, but that's it.

Gargaune

Magister
It was the same for me, and coming off Diablo II it was quite an impressive change of pace, I must've played it a couple of times through back then.

Having replayed the OC more recently, though, I'm surprised I managed to complete it. Even more than the lackluster plot and the repetitive, dime-a-dozen combat, I think what pissed me off was the loot distribution. Each larger room lined with multiple chests, each chest locked and trapped, taking two full rounds to open and only to get some cheap, randomly-spawned clutter. Enough to drive a man mad. Thankfully, they did improve on this execution in the expansions.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I think the OC could be considered dull, but when NWN was originally released, it was very, very buggy. The two combined made for a lot of angst. I played it when it was released and quit because the while OC was boring, there was much more interesting content available.
That makes sense then. The last time I played the base game without an expansion or a patch was shortly after it came out, and as a child. So, I'm not going to remember any bugs like that. Most of them were probably fixed by HotU if not SoU.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.beamdog.com/news/new-patch-arrives-neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition/

New Patch Arrives for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition!

Greetings Adventurers,

We just launched Patch 8193.20 for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition on Steam, GOG and Beamdog.com! The update adds scores of features & fixes to the core campaigns, premium modules and toolsets. Today’s patch also addresses the voiceover issue for non-english localizations.

Huge thanks to our amazing community for helping to test out the beta versions of this patch— we couldn’t have done it without you!

Check out the Patch Highlights & Full Details below!

PATCH HIGHLIGHTS
  • Non-English Voiceover: We fixed the issue causing english voiceover to play for non-english localizations
  • NPC Movement: We improved the movement/navigation of Non-Player Characters (NPCs) and Creatures
  • Multiplayer: We fixed a server-side issue and increased the module description size so players get the full details
  • Dozens of Fixes: We’ve added dozens of fixes to improve the overall experience in adventures, toolsets and the Dungeon Master Client
  • New Scripting Functionality: See details below!
Check out the full patch notes below!

PATCH NOTES
NPC Movement
  • Improved navigation of NPCs and Creatures
  • Creatures now move in a logical direction when they are bumped or pushed
Performance Improvements
  • Optimized “Hardness” (placeable damage resistance) in the game so it no longer imposes heavy impact on server loads
Fixes
  • Non-English localizations now use correct voiceovers
  • Fixed the multiplayer UI not saving the network port configuration
  • Increased module description size to avoid cutting off text in the multiplayer browser
  • Fixed an issue causing invalid skill point messages and preventing level ups
  • Fixed a rare crash when loading custom content models
  • Fixed a crash occurring in character selection when existing character files have an invalid player class or race
  • Added a fix to make sure NPCs, like Deekin, level up correctly
  • Fixed issues in the Premium Module Darkness over Daggerford
    • Fixed an issue with the Daggerford Wagon
    • Fixed minor issues in the Great Cheese Caper quest
Graphics
  • Improved the appearance of armor and metals
  • Shadows now fade more smoothly in relation to distance, height and angles.
  • The Dynamic Contrast Shader now has adjustable settings in the options menu
  • The Depth of Field Shader now has adjustable settings in the options menu
  • Lights now fade in and out out more smoothly
  • Texture animations now animate consistently
  • Fixed the water shader showing seams
  • Water now always uses the env map
  • Grass now fades in smoothly rather than appearing abruptly
  • Skyfade fog coloured model below the horizon now covers below area, so missing meshes and keyholing show a black backdrop
  • Renderer Improvements
    • Optimised renderer GL buffer handling
    • Fixed clear colour erroneously reverting to black when loading into an area if a game object was received at exactly the wrong time
    • Fixed some erratic keyholing behaviour in certain situations
    • Reduced the number of shader reloads
    • Fixed dropped items floating too far over the ground
    • Fixed weather not correctly cleaning up after lightning events, sometimes resulting in heavy FPS drops
    • Fixed skin meshes (cloaks, robes) occasionally being warped or dislocated when animating
    • Normal maps are now read as two-channel textures (three are still supported, but this was needed for BC5)
    • Water reflections now ignore subsurface alpha
    • Env map tex coords are now always calculated per-fragment in HQ mode
    • Specular lighting now ignores material transparency
    • Refined light occlusion calculations
    • Shared material uniform data is now reset for each draw call. This fixes issues where a material incorrectly adopts parameters from the previously-rendered, if the current material has none.
NWSync Optimizations
  • Dedicated servers can now load their module data from a specially prepared NWSync repository, instead of having to have a copy of the module and hak files. (This mainly benefits big servers that have a CI/CD pipeline set up.)
    • Added argument -moduleurl, from which the module data will be sourced
    • Added a new optional argument -modulehash; which is considered to be `latest` if omitted
    • Generate the server/module repository with --with-module
    • You can reuse the public repository to save on duplication/disk space; or use a separate/private one. If you reuse the same repository and do not want to leak the module data, turn off http content listing and write the data with --no-latest.
    • Data is stored in SERVERHOME/nwsync (this works the same as on the client). It will auto-prune old data if the group_id matches. The rest is left up to you.
Content Updates
  • Added half-dragon tail to half-dragon blueprint
  • Added missing texture for worldmap placeables
  • Rendered new icons for the gem shields
  • Fixed Tanarukk Blueprints, Factions & Script
  • Fixed some tile models resulting in Access Violation in the toolset
  • Set all weapons for Ambient and Diffuse of 100% (1 1 1), in alignment with the new graphics & lighting
  • Fixes to Shadow, Mesh and Bounding Boxes
  • Added in several missing art models and portraits, along with toolset blueprints (DoD Flags, Signs, & Duke Painting; Tyrants Flowering Plants & Wavy Water 1x1, Invisible Ground 4x4, Worldmaps - Floor and Wall-Mounted)
  • Rebuilt placeable walkmeshes on several larger models to be 3D instead of a flat plane
  • Low Ambient Values raised to 1 1 1 (to allow other forms of tinting)
  • Shields/Cloaks/Robes: Compiled shield models and turned Ambient and Diffuse values to 1.0 1.0 1.0, so area lighting and tinting can have fullest effect as well as clothing matched-up from race-to-race
  • Skybox, Black: Added missing model
  • XP3 placeables: Many fixes for useability, shadows, z-fighting, walkmesh, and appearance
  • XP3 Gem Golems: Adjusted appearance for proper translucency & shine (creatures/weapons/shields)
  • Daggerford & Tyrants of the Moonsea Placeables: Reworked placeable Use nodes to strict 13-character length requirement, cleaned up PWK walkmesh settings
  • Glass and Metal textures: Fixed TXI settings, added an alpha channel to maps for specularity and custom environment mapping (new textures)
  • Candles (Non-Ambient): Added a dynamic light with shadowing (Disclaimer: nearby props must not be set to Static in order to cast shadows, but work much better than Ambient lights)
  • Elven Lanterns: Fixed candle flame not showing through panes and added ambient/dynamic versions, as with candles
  • Kochrachon: Fixed deformed arms & a floating "thumb"
  • Appearance.2DA: Curst Swordsman: Removed undesired environmental mapping
  • Kobolds/Goblins/Orcs/Golems/Giants: Added default environmental mapping
  • Orcus (Blueprint): Added missing creature hide and Wand to inventory
  • Gem Greatswords, Warhammers, Shields and Placeable Gemstones: Fixed UV's and self-illumination settings
  • Doortypes.2DA: Added proper blueprint ref's for the two new elven doors (TTF02)
  • Loadscreens.2DA: Added default tileset entries for DoD and Tyrants loadscreens
  • Placeables.2DA: Fixed various settings on placeable entries
  • PlaceablePalStd.ITP: Added new entries for missing blueprints, removed a couple bogus entries
  • Portraits.2DA: Added missing entries, for missing blueprints
  • Tailmodel.2DA: Changed entry 5000 from "karandas" to "Half-Dragon"
  • PLC_C10 (Placeable Door): Fixed a bad set of Use Nodes (“secret door” fix)
  • TNO01: Fixed a SQRT Domain error in TNO01 Boat (at last!)
  • TNO01: Fixed a crash in TNO01 Ship1 and Market Stall, Long: caused by too many mesh parts
  • TNO01: Fixed chimney & window animations in Inn, Coach 2x2
  • TTF02 and TTS02 Doors: Fixed DWK naming and settings
  • TTF02 Water: Fixed bad transparency settings in stream tiles (as seen through tree branches)
  • TSS13 (Seaships): Added edge tiles TSS13_edge.2DA
  • TSS13_C07_04: Fixed a bad water reference
  • TCN_UDoor_02: Fixed a shifted walkmesh and transition mesh (you could transition the door w/o opening)
  • TDM01_O11_01: Replaced a missing face in the doorway mesh
  • TCN01_A06_01: Fixed some meshes which had shifted from bas X-Forms
  • TRM02.SET: Added a missing crosser entry
  • TCM02.SET: Fixed typos in a couple tile names
  • TCM02: Replaced small/misaligned water meshes on several tiles
  • IIT_Torch02: Adjusted smoke to be much more minimal than a standard torch
  • TTF02_I07_02: Removed a bunch of extra/ugly tree foliage meshes
  • TTF02_T13-14_01: Set meshes from Render 0 to 1, fixed UV's on tent flap, added bottom mesh to lean-to
  • TWC03_C53_01, TWC03_C54_06: Fixed broken fireplace animations, added a woodpile for fuel
  • TDE01, TNI02, and TSW01: Restored the "Lightning Tiles" in TDE01, TNI02, and TSW01, added animloops for shutdown where needed
  • Toolset:
    • Fixed some shadows not rendering properly
    • Fixed VFX emitters not rendering properly
Other Updates
  • Fixed minimap data being assigned incorrectly when deleting an area via VM::DestroyArea
  • Fixed cloaks and robes not inheriting visual transform animation speed
  • Fixed items losing the possessor reference when failing to merge a stack out of a container, resulting in dead/unusable items and eventually a crash
  • “Hide Second Story Tiles” setting is now disabled by default
  • Linux binaries are now built against Debian Stretch (9), fixing requirements to Debian 9, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, or newer. This should take care of the glibc issues some folks were seeing, as well as the stray libsndio linkage
  • Danglymesh is now properly frozen when the game is paused
  • Model loader: Set mesh ambient and diffuse to vec3(1.0) by default
  • NWSync command line args now verify the URL and Hash formats
  • Fixed an issue where the first texture in a material was replaced with the NULL texture after an area change
  • Fixed classstat abilities modifiers not being considered for feat requirements on levelup, when the abilities are gained on the very same level
  • Fixed class stat ability modifiers sometimes not updating after a levelup (for example, for STR damage bonus)
  • Fixed blank value in SkillPointModifierAbility in racialtypes.2da failing ELC
  • Debug UI: Fixed a client crash in the NWScript Widget when inputting a invalid object ID
  • nwscript.nss: Added missing tileset resref constants
  • Config: The default value for 2D/3D bias is now 1.0 which should fix sound effect quietness (you need to reset it manually in Options if you want to try this)
  • Scripting:
    • Fixed material parameters not being updated for single float changes
    • Cutscenes: Fixed Hide Second Story Tiles not being saved/restored correctly
    • Cutscenes: Fixed camera being reset with incorrect values despite VM::StoreCameraFacing not having been called
    • ActivatePortal: Fixed some cases where NAT punchthrough or relaying failed to work
    • Fixed a crash when calling area management functions twice (e.g. CopyArea(CopyArea()))
    • EnterTargetingMode() now also triggers when the user cancels out, with the target area or object returned as INVALID_OBJECT
    • Material filenames and params now allow underscore
New Scripting Functionality

// Sets the current hitpoints of oObject.

// * You cannot destroy or revive objects or creatures with this function.

// * For currently dying PCs, you can only set hitpoints in the range of -9 to 0.

// * All other objects need to be alive and the range is clamped to 1 and max hitpoints.

// * This is not considered damage (or healing). It circumvents all combat logic, including damage resistance and reduction.

// * This is not considered a friendly or hostile combat action. It will not affect factions, nor will it trigger script events.

// * This will not advise player parties in the combat log.

void SetCurrentHitPoints(object oObject, int nHitPoints);

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom