Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Bromancer

Educated
The npc banter was pretty inane, and most of the dialogue were pretty "wtf", but I have to say there was a lot of attention put to all the little details in the world itself.

hal900x

Augur
I got the impression that the Tortured Hearts series was originally written in a non-English language (Polish?) and then translated by friends/fans, which is pretty much guaranteed to make it awkward and mediocre in general. If they've polished it some more I might give it another look.

Dele

Liturgist
I played Tortured hearts 2 until i said something bad to some random shopkeeper which made the whole city hostile to me :(

Klaz

Scholar
Also TH2 is much better than the first. TH1 has too much combat/fedex, though the first city is awesome.

So I'm trying to play Tortured Hearts 2, crafting seems cool, judging by fellow codexers's posts it has quite nice exploration and open world. But I'm having a problem with writing. It's WTFish, often I don't even understand what the hell author meant by some of the dialog options, also it's awkward both stylistically and grammatically. Usually I can tolerate bad writing, but not to that extent.

So I have a question to those who played it. Right now I'm at the beginning, does it got better in later parts of the game? It's a vain hope, but I heard good things about that mod, and want to continue playing. But the writing...

And yeah,

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Playing TH1 now. It's oddly structured in that you need to explore a lot of the world to complete pretty much any of the first city's quests, so you end up grinding a lot in order to get further and further away from the city.

I like it, but if you're expecting a typical non-linear game design you won't get it.

Dele said:
I played Tortured hearts 2 until i said something bad to some random shopkeeper which made the whole city hostile to me :(

I killed a prostitute to solve an otherwise bugged quest in TH1 and no one seemed to mind.

Erebus

Arcane
I wanted to start a DA2 thread like all the cool kids, but, no matter how shitty the game might be, there's simply no way my computer could run it.

So I'm making a thread about a NWN2 mod I just finished, because hey ! why not ?

I've always been disappointed by the lack of good NWN2 mods. NWN1, for all its flaws, had inspired a lot of creative people to make very enjoyable modules. NWN2, not so much. I really enjoyed the Dark Waters trilogy, but nothing else comes to my mind.

Misery Stone, however, is actually pretty good. I wouldn't quite call it great, but some elements are very impressive.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Nw ... ail&id=411

It's set in Ravenloft and the plot is fairly simple : the Mists of Ravenloft have taken you to an Island of Terror and you need to kill its Darklord in order to escape. In order to reach said Darklord, you need to gather six objects. Nothing too complicated, eh ?

The beginning is fairly linear, but once it is over, you'll be free to explore all of the Island (except for the ending area, obviously) as you desire. Misery Stone uses the overland map introduced in Storm of Zehir. The Island is fairly large and there are plenty of places to discover, so it's quite enjoyable. There are no wandering monsters, which may be for the best, considering how annoying they were in SoZ.

Visually speaking, Misery Stone is quite stunning. The landscapes, the buildings, the ruins and even the fucking caves look great. The very good gothic horror atmosphere - probably Misery Stone's greatest quality - owes a lot to the visual quality.

You get three companions : a bard, a thief and a druid. They're not the kind of NPCs that will insist on telling you every single thing about themselves, an enjoyable change from what we've become used to. They're not hugely developed, but they're reasonably interesting.

The writing's fine. You get very few occasions to talk to someone other than your companions.

There are many dungeons. They're fairly small, but not ridiculously so (as in SoZ). Not many traps except on doors and chests. Barely any puzzle.

The main problem of the module is that it does not remain constantly inventive. The beginning, while frustratingly linear, is full of striking or creepy moments. However, the places you can explore once you get access to the overland map are very uneven : some are genuinely good, others aren't much more than hack'n'slash. The asylum, the cursed field, the monastery are interesting to explore. The two caves full of worgs, not so much.

I'm not much of a fan of Ravenloft because I don't think D&D and gothic horror mix well. In a gothic horror adventure, fighting should be fairly rare. Unfortunately, it's not the case in Misery Stone and the fights end up being quite tedious, especially since the enemies we fight are not very diverse. The first time I was attacked by vampiric ghouls was a memorable moment ; the twentieth time, not so much. The vast majority of enemies are exactly what you'd expect : undeads, werebeasts, giant wolves... The exceptions tend to be more interesting, but not sufficiently. The difficulty's fairly low and there aren't many exciting fights.

All in all, it's a nice mod, but its repetitiveness lessens its quality after a while. Less fights and more unusual encounters would have made it great. Certainly worth trying, not necessarily worth finishing.

Dele

Liturgist
Stick to nwn 1 modules they are much better.

I couldn't even manage to get past the first dark waters due to the horrid engine of nwn 2, but i played through miller's nwn 1 campaigns 4-5 times or something.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Pretty much anything Bouncy Rock does is in the damn good category (see the Halloween Mod). I have yet to play it though, and dear gawd do I fucking LOVE this setting.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Dele said:
Stick to nwn 1 modules they are much better.

I couldn't even manage to get past the first dark waters due to the horrid engine of nwn 2, but i played through miller's nwn 1 campaigns 4-5 times or something.

Agreed, and I can't even really explain why. Four or five NWN2 modules is my tolerance limit, but I can still play NWN1 for ages.

I've been meaning to give Misery Bong a try, though, thanks for the review. Will consider it.

grotsnik

Arcane
Yeah, I think you're pretty much on the money, Erebus. I remember starting it up and being charmed by the atmosphere and the incredibly painstaking care taken over its appearance (though the 'telling a story by the fireplace' opening was way overstretched). A really beautiful mod...and then the NWN2 combat kept coming. And coming. And it just became wearisome for me, in spite of everything that worked well.

BouncyRock are pretty cool people, incidentally. I was actually one of the people who got to make an area for that Hallowe'en mod. Was utterly, utterly shit, though.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tycn said:
Is there a list of Codex approved modules somewhere?

It'd indeed be great if someone compiled such a list, both for NWN and NWN2. It could be even made a sticky, I guess. Or maybe it already exists?

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
As the title says, does anyone know any modules for NWN2 that are worth a crap? Ie: role-playing heavy

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Holy lurkers, Batman!

There's a shitload of 'em. Depends on what you like.

Look here: http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/TopRated.php ... lesenglish

I personally enjoyed Harp & Chrysanthemum but my favorite of the "free" ones was probably Pool of Radiance Remastered, which isn't rp-heavy. It's more of a classic D&D feel and low-level combat, which I enjoy most.

You're going to have to sample a few to find something you like.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Keep them coming, I never played any modules for NWN and I think now is the time to start!

I think Conan Chronicles actually had good atmosphere.

PoR Remastered had better encounter design than any of Obsidian's own works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom