Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information New Codex Eternity Rewards: In-game Presence, Chris Avellone Trolls and Signatures

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If so then why Codex is so concerned about the set-up of its party, if Obsidian will simply override everything we decide? :smug:

Because we do have to have an impact - as all that people who poured thousands of dollars into the game.

Because the Codex is paying $5000 for a unique, self-contained party encounter, not $1000 for a random NPC. Money talks.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Mrowak is just butthurt because he can't afford thousand buckaroos for his own NPC.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
If so then why Codex is so concerned about the set-up of its party, if Obsidian will simply override everything we decide? :smug:

Because we do have to have an impact - as all that people who poured thousands of dollars into the game.

Because the Codex is paying $5000 for a unique, self-contained party encounter, not $1000 for a random NPC. Money talks.

Your comparison is pointless, because it does not refer directly to the argument at hand - amusement park. The fact that we collectively paid more than a single person does not our antics will be taken into considerations and screw everyone else.

But even if we assume it is somehow valid if we count moneys:

78 peoples x $1000 >>> 1 x $5000 ==> Oops!

You honestly think we will be spared significantly more time and effort to create our own loony bin, whereas the rest will be ignored? How naive. It's one way or the other. Personally, I prefer the other.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I expect Obsidian to tone town anything that's out of whack and mesh it with the setting, even if the buyer may not recognize his own NPC. If they don't it'd hurt the integrity of the setting. With Ziets on-board I'm not so worried they'll do anything crazy-stupid. I think you need to believe. Believe and the weight will fall of your shoulders.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fact that we collectively paid more than a single person does not our antics will be taken into considerations and screw everyone else.

I believe there's a good chance they will be, both due to the nature of what we're getting (again, a self-contained encounter) and due to the fact that there are far fewer of them to make (only 2 other pledgers on this tier)

"Three unique encounters? We can make that. 78 NPCs? Fuck it, we'll make them tokens."

Mrowak

Arcane
I expect Obsidian to tone town anything that's out of whack and mesh it with the setting, even if the buyer may not recognize his own NPC. If they don't it'd hurt the integrity of the setting. With Ziets on-board I'm not so worried they'll do anything crazy-stupid. I think you need to believe. Believe and the weight will fall of your shoulders.

I hope they will do exactly that. Personally I would rather we prepared some serious proposal they could integrate into their design seamlessly.

Mrowak

Arcane
The fact that we collectively paid more than a single person does not our antics will be taken into considerations and screw everyone else.

I believe there's a good chance they will be, both due to the nature of what we're getting (again, a self-contained encounter) and due to the fact that there are far fewer of them to make (only 2 other pledgers on this tier)

"Three unique encounters? We can make that. 78 NPCs? Fuck it, we'll make them tokens."

If it cost $100 per char, then yes. As it is, no. But that's us talking from our asses about these estimates. The danger is real however - integrating all those extras into their design will be a major pain.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You know, you do not have to design the game in a way that it will show all 78 NPC's in a single play-through. It can be a pool of NPC's, from which a couple are chosen randomly each time for unimportant/ filler NPC's wandering the slums or whatever. So what if there would be butthurt from it.

Also, Cain is on board and remember his Fallout design doc, saying all references have to be subtle enough that only people involved will catch on. Would love to see a design doc for this game, just like we had on Wasteland 2. That was a great read.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I disagree. The party of adventurers tier was made especially for forum communities. We can't give that up. Do you want there to be a SomethingAwful party or a NeoGAF party but no Codex party? :decline:

Yeah, basically this + the exclusive Codex rewards that people have donated for are all about an adventuring party (items, weapons, armor, etc.). It'd be too much of a hassle to attempt "translating" them into similar inn-based rewards.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Salute to Codex for achieving the seemingly impossible :salute:

On the account of the encounter, Obsidian could perhaps find a way to force a simulated turn based combat for just that scenario. If they can provide context, even better, it could be one of the party members bumbling while throwing the potion of a tastefully referenced inside joke and affecting everyone to round by round temporary paralysis.

MCA
Also, I trust in MCA. Remember this?

codexcry.jpg

We give them an outline and they turn it into something subtle and decent. I don't know about the 78 other people. Fuck them anyway.

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Holy crud, it really hit $5k. Nice. :salute:

I pitched in a truly pitiful amount (I'm broke) for the tag. I never post, but when I do, I want people to know I'm a Race Traitor.

Edit: It's beautiful.

asper

Arcane
I am also happy that more money is going to Obsidian, but let's be clear that what happened was that one or two (?) sugar daddies bailed us out at the last moment by donating $2000. What the general community effort managed to raise was 3k. But who cares, let's hope the game turns out good!

Mrowak is right. The references will most likely cause a problem once this game is released, to the point where future kickstarts will have to tone such rewards way down. This game will become the bad example for that.

I would really have liked the Codex to come together to create characters, dialogue, even portraits, models etc. to create one fucking quality encounter in the game. Imagine how you would all feel if reviewers were citing the encounter created by the Codex (without realising who made it) as one of the better parts of the game. Would any other alternative be able to make people feel as self-satisfied and as smug as that? I doubt it.

Unfortunately, even if the Codex did that there would still be an inordinate amount of really terrible references from across the internet to contend with, and while such a situation may have made the Codex contribution stand out more, it would still pull the whole game down a level.

Whatever. People need to make the mistake to be able to learn from it in the future.

asper

Arcane
I'm also not too happy with reference humor in my games, but I guess you have to bend over a little to get people to pledge larger amounts.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, I trust in MCA. Remember this?

codexcry.jpg

We give them an outline and they turn it into something subtle and decent. I don't know about the 78 other people. Fuck them anyway.

Can somebody edit this pic? Make a label on the bottle (Wasteland 2/Project Eternity) and give the guy a smile.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Excommunicator makes a good point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom