Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect New Mass Effect confirmed

Tyrr

Liturgist
ME fandom was the most cancerous among BioWare fans btw.
I blame console players. Don't forget ME1 was console exclusive on release and must have been the first Bioware game for a lot of casuals/non-RPG-fans.

Hellraiser

Arcane
But it was the ME fandom that created the Tali sweat meme, the 1000+ page thread about Miranda's ass, and the ones that caused Bioware to lock the ME/DA-centric section of the forums from people who didn't own the games (you could add them to your profile via verification).
Precisely. Tali sweat thread and romancefags were almost always ME fans. DA fans were always better and discussed RPG and combat matters more, not only romances and characters.
BioWare closed DA2 boards from people who didn’t own the game after massive and vitriolic criticism. They closed the romance subforum temporarily after Miranda fans spergout. See a common problem.
Fans of BG and older games were often based.
I'm not disputing any of that, merely saying that the deviants Bioware attracted by "innovating" the genre with romances were going to latch on to whatever was the most popular bioware game at the time regardless. Miranda's ass would be replaced by Morrigan's ass or something else if ME never happened.

Last edited:

Camel

Scholar
I blame console players. Don't forget ME1 was console exclusive on release and must have been the first Bioware game for a lot of casuals/non-RPG-fans.
PC players were just as bad. The ME discussion on 4Chan or 2ch is usually some low quality crap with DA one being noticeably better. Console players were mostly Xbox owners and Americans. PS players were the smallest demographics.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
The romance focus has infected even completely unrelated genres. ZeroSpace is a Real Time Strategy who first marketing materials advertised that it would have romance options with an AI generated asari. Like, how out-of-touch does someone have to be to think that romance and RTS goes together?

Modron

Arcane
The romance focus has infected even completely unrelated genres. ZeroSpace is a Real Time Strategy who first marketing materials advertised that it would have romance options with an AI generated asari. Like, how out-of-touch does someone have to be to think that romance and RTS goes together?
It's a mystery, Swen?:

Camel

Scholar
I'm not disputing any of that, merely saying that the deviants Bioware attracted by "innovating" the genre with romances were going to latch on to whatever was the most popular bioware game at the time regardless. Miranda's ass would be replaced by Morrigan's ass or something else if ME never happened.
While I agree that DA fandom has its share of romance degenerates but it was always better and had higher quality posters. I think ME and DA fans sometimes didn’t even overlap and they didn’t play both games but only one or the other.
BioWare fandom would’ve been much better if ME fans were banned on sight or at least quarantined.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
It's a mystery, Swen?:

Political marriage in a feudal setting is one thing. It’s not really romantic given the wife’s lack of consent. It serves the politics rather than the other way around.

Hack writers keep shoehorning bad romance everywhere it doesn’t belong and neglecting everything else in the script. E.g. the plot of starcraft is the absolute nadir of this.

I feel RTS is best suited for war stories and politics and so on, given the scales involved. I think making all the plots all about romance is stupid.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I think ME and DA fans sometimes didn’t even overlap and they didn’t play both games but only one or the other.

You think? Come on, this is just plain obvious if you look at the games themselves let alone historical circumstances surrounding their development and release.

One is a cinematic space opera popamole shooter (with some inspiration from tactical squad shooters) with dumbed down RPG elements taken from KOTOR, heavily marketed to the xbawks crowd as it was an x360 exclusive initially (PS3 version was only made because EA acquired Bioware, PC came later).

The other (well at least DA:O) is a top-down RtwP high fantasy RPG spiritual successor to BG (and NWN I think? I mean it had a toolset that they were hyping up before release IIRC), it was bound to have more people with D&D or TT background discussing mechanics rather than asses and memes for obvious reasons.

The only overlaps the two have is that they have RPG elements, are "story heavy", and they're made by bioware, but they weren't even marketed/made for the same crowd (at least until EA and whatever other retards decided to mass effectify DA2 to "fix" that problem).

As Tyrr said I think it really boils down to new blood/kiddies in the fanbase for whom this was baby's first "rpg-like product", on top of the fanbase itself being new with no old guard to keep newfags in line. That ME1 was released after broadband adoption became widespread didn't help regarding the quality of people available to build that new fanbase.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
New protagonist? Shit design, looks like some Destiny knock off. Also lmao at Bioware shilling Femshep hard as fuck and trying to pretend Male Shepard doesn't exist.

53yMmeb.jpg
Oh I wonder where they got that inspiration from...

hf6H9X3.png

La vie sexuelle

Learned
New protagonist? Shit design, looks like some Destiny knock off. Also lmao at Bioware shilling Femshep hard as fuck and trying to pretend Male Shepard doesn't exist.

53yMmeb.jpg
Oh I wonder where they got that inspiration from...

hf6H9X3.png

Oh yes, isn't this a similar situation to the new Dragon Age?

It's as if they went to a fifty-year-old marketer and asked, "We're in trouble, Mr. Johnson. Our games are failure after failure. What can we do?"

"Attract young people," answered the fifty-year-old marketer. He gave this answer every time there was a problem and always got a raise afterwards.

"But what do young people like?"

"My granddaughter likes mango and animee", answered sadly mr. Johnson.

Apparently Bioware thinks Persona 5 is the best anime because that's what jurnos wrote in Kotaku

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I have to admit, that design definitely gives me clear "how do you do fellow kids?" energy. They thought someone going clubbing while dressed in a motorcycle helmet, trenchcoat and holding a gun was appropriate for the N7?

To be honest, I think the silhouette would be perfectly appropriate for a cyberpunk game where you play as some kind of criminal fashionista, but ME has never advertised itself as being cyberpunk.

Padzi

Arbiter
Oh, fuck, Derpomeda did make it into the canon after all. Also, it's in the far future.
Is that a Geth? If it is then goodbye to the destroy ending.

87f588ad15960116887e2782bfb60b0b0f54d804.pnj

:flamesaw::flamesaw::flamesaw:

And I hope that the woman from the poster isn't EDI in a costume...

9ted6

Educated
But it was the ME fandom that created the Tali sweat meme, the 1000+ page thread about Miranda's ass, and the ones that caused Bioware to lock the ME/DA-centric section of the forums from people who didn't own the games (you could add them to your profile via verification).
Precisely. Tali sweat thread and romancefags were almost always ME fans. DA fans were always better and discussed RPG and combat matters more, not only romances and characters.
BioWare closed DA2 boards from people who didn’t own the game after massive and vitriolic criticism. They closed the romance subforum temporarily after Miranda fans spergout. See a common problem.
Fans of BG and older games were often based.
No part of the Bioware fandom has been good for years. Anyone sane or not full of denial jumped ship by either Inquisition or Andromeda.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's time to wake up Commander Shepherd, a new crew of diverse and inclusive newbies are ready to scold you and piss on everything you sacrificed for previously.
Even Bioware's idiot management knows they are very close to losing their jobs. Of course there will be a lot of woke stuff, but even they are not stupid enough to deliberately shit on previous games. If they overdo it, they can be sure that EA will kill the studio, unless it does so after the failure of Dreadwolf.
After the success of Baldur's Gate 3 I'm sure no effort will be spared to top its depravity. I also recall nobody in mainstream media dared complain about wokeness in Andromeda, just about its bugs and poor writing.

That aside I'm sure they want to make a good game, but that doesn't mean they'll be able to. Those that once were good may have left the company, or lost their inspiration, and those that are idiots certainly won't fire themselves.
Being woke was the least of Andromeda's problems.

Andromeda's biggest problem was that the party members were so forgettable. The companions are a core part of a Mass Effect experience, and they just weren't particularly memorable.

I have attempted 2 Andromeda playthroughs (one I was probably about 90% complete and burned out, and the other I burned out around 50-60% of the way through) over the years and even now I am having trouble even providing a critique about what specifically was wrong with the companions because they made so little of an impression on me I barely remember them.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Shepard being a spectre was a decent reason for why he could do a lot of things in the plot and paved the way for some world building. It was used pretty well. It's completely useless in ME2 & ME3.

That reminds me how much the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC pisses me off. Another spectre calls you out on your hypocrisy and you just have to kill her no matter what because she's a "bad guy".
The Spectre schtick was really neat when I first played it. It felt cooler than even being a Jedi in Kotor.

You were a lone agent, a ranger, a badass super spy. It felt awesome, and the world made it feel awesome.

ME 2 just dropped it completely though, even going so far as to imply it had almost no meaning in the first game.

Evidently, the line between Spectre and random citizen with a gun is really thin.

No, the line between Spectre and Commander Shepard with a gun is really thin.

For ME2 you spent a lot of time outside of council space, and also got a lot of benefit of the doubt and free reign from your actions in ME1. From the highest levels. Really it was because you were a player in a video game, but I felt that was a meaningful narrative justification that held up.

By ME3 they really leaned into it how Commander Shepard was in real time becoming a mythologized figure in the ME universe. And I think that is going to be a big part of the plot for this next ME game.

Apotheosis (as in the mythologizing of a real person, not actual ascension to real godhood) has always been a theme I have found interesting, but it isn't that common a theme is most forms of media. Seeing if they do anything with that theme is one of the reasons I am interested in seeing what they do with the next ME.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm getting strong but considerate female black protagonist, stealthy shooter, we kinda want to be like assassin's creed but not really, kind of vibes from this design.

Silverfish

Arbiter

53yMmeb.jpg

This looks sick as hell. I know that Bioware's been chugging dicks by choice for years now, but being unable to appreciate a space ninja with a longcoat and a gun is levels of jaded I can't even comprehend.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
For ME2 you spent a lot of time outside of council space, and also got a lot of benefit of the doubt and free reign from your actions in ME1. From the highest levels. Really it was because you were a player in a video game, but I felt that was a meaningful narrative justification that held up.

By ME3 they really leaned into it how Commander Shepard was in real time becoming a mythologized figure in the ME universe. And I think that is going to be a big part of the plot for this next ME game.

Apotheosis (as in the mythologizing of a real person, not actual ascension to real godhood) has always been a theme I have found interesting, but it isn't that common a theme is most forms of media. Seeing if they do anything with that theme is one of the reasons I am interested in seeing what they do with the next ME.
I feel the exact opposite. Mythologizing the player character destroys my SoD and I consider it a cancer on storytelling in general. I want believable down-to-earth stories, not more cookie-cutter "superhero saving teh universe" for the gazillionth time. It's narcissistic as hell and I get enough of that from social media.

Caim

Arcane

I feel the exact opposite. Mythologizing the player character destroys my SoD and I consider it a cancer on storytelling in general. I want believable down-to-earth stories, not more cookie-cutter "superhero saving teh universe" for the gazillionth time. It's narcissistic as hell and I get enough of that from social media.
Imagine them going full Church of the Children of the Atom except with Shepard, as preach by Pontiff Verner I.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tho something like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in space would be pretty cool. 4 guys, brothers by fate, just doing space ninja stuff. Somebody should make that.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

That's not what I'm talking about at all.

Players being over the top larger than life action heroes has to do with action games wanting players to do over the top larger than life action stuff in the video game. It works with some games, it doesn't work so well with others. But that is not what I am talking about or what interests me.

I am talking about the process in a society where individuals are elevated to a mythological status. Often to the point of being deified. It can happen organically, with folk heroes and such, but also can be deliberate efforts by governments or those in power. It could be to increase the authority and popularity of political figures, such as why some of the Roman Emperors claimed godhood or the Kim family in North Korea, or it could be to create a unifying figure to try to help unify society in troubling times or to publicly elevate certain values. War heroes are often be mythologized for that purpose.

What is interesting is that mythologizing is almost never accurate. Whether by not including negative or derogatory details, by exaggeration, or by making up events that never occurred at all. That gap between the myth and reality, and why it exists, is something I find interesting.

The process of how a person who is relatively normal (although in most video games the protagonist is extremely abnormal to the point of it being very unrealistic, as you note) become a mythologized figure and how that impacts society and them, if they do happen to still be alive.

Shepard was just such a mythologized figure by the end of Mass Effect 3. It has already been hinted that Shepard's legacy, and possibly the character himself, will be an important part of the next Mass Effect. And exploring how his mythologization has impacted society and how it is used hundreds of years later has some room to explore some interesting ideas.

It could be badly done, for example:

Imagine them going full Church of the Children of the Atom except with Shepard, as preach by Pontiff Verner I.

Would be a quite dumb take on it, and I don't expect that is anything Bioware would do. But any idea or concept can be badly done.

More interesting takes would be how groups and individuals in the Mass Effect universe may try to claim Shepard's legacy to further their own agendas, especially as some of those individuals may be those that actually associated with him to bolster their claims. And also how they have chosen to shape the mythology and legacy of Shepard over the years, probably with competing mythologies that don't agree with each other. Especially since the player would have the perspective of being aware of the truth of those events to compare to whatever distortions there are in the mythologized version.

So I am curious to see if Bioware does anything interesting with that or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom