Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect New Mass Effect confirmed

ChildInTime

Savant
Andromeda's biggest problem was that the party members were so forgettable.
Did you mean to say insufferable?

I made it 30 minutes into andromeda before I uninstalled it. The dialogue is so terrible I couldnt justify continuing.

Ironically, closer to the end, the dialogue, characters, and plot get a little better. But they weren't worth playing through the entire game.
Yeah, I remember reading they brought in some director guy who looked at that shitshow, said fuck it, pulled all the available resources and made them finish the game, culminating in the final mission and ending (which is a pretty good final mission and ending btw, certainly better than ME3s) where all your choices during the game get at least a mention, and some even change it slightly.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Andromeda's biggest problem was that the party members were so forgettable.
Did you mean to say insufferable?

I made it 30 minutes into andromeda before I uninstalled it. The dialogue is so terrible I couldnt justify continuing.

Ironically, closer to the end, the dialogue, characters, and plot get a little better. But they weren't worth playing through the entire game.
Yeah, I remember reading they brought in some director guy who looked at that shitshow, said fuck it, pulled all the available resources and made them finish the game, culminating in the final mission and ending (which is a pretty good final mission and ending btw, certainly better than ME3s) where all your choices during the game get at least a mention, and some even change it slightly.

When I was playing through the ending, I kept thinking "if the rest of this game was of this quality, it would be rated much higher." Unfortunately, the rest are just some pieces glued together, which is most visible on the acid planet (I don't remember the name), where some NPCs have videos instead of a frozen camera - it was the most refined, so it was most visible how unfinished it was. And this unfortunate romance that I heterosexually missed.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Lots of edgy shit posting about the ME trilogy... But it's still the only space opera we have in gaming, there's nothing like it.

I would have thought the sub genre would be a gold mine for RPGs and action adventure games, but sadly scifi is has long taken a back seat to fantasy.
I never thought I'd see the day someone on the Codex would unironically claim that Mass Effect is the only space opera in gaming. It's shameful that someone whose been around this long hasn't heard of Wing Commander or Star Control.

Granted, we're still getting a shit deal considering that most of the serious efforts at space opera were either 20+ years ago or are hard to find indie titles. Considering that for most of the past 20 years, some sort of space opera was popular on TV or in the movies, you'd expect more people would line up to do it.

Elttharion

Learned
I liked the premise they were going with Andromeda (lets go back when humanity is populating the stars). And then well.... that was that. I still have a teeny tiny bit of interest in where they are going with this.
One of the biggest problems I had with Andromeda was that it looked like the most interesting events had already happened and you are just cleaning the mess. Or that you were exploring a new world but it was already settled by natives or filled with colonists from the milky way (you usually ended up shooting them anyway). I didnt feel like a 'pathfinder', I felt like a glorified janitor. Not to mention only two new species, both humanoid, and half of the ones from the old games were absent.

Of course, there are a lot of other problems with the game but the overall vision is so insanely mediocre its infuriating. And I say that as someone who only really likes the first game so I dont really care about the franchise.

tritosine2k

Erudite
the overall vision is so insanely mediocre its infuriating.
Exactly, gamers were so deluded with the andromeda hate train itch, they forgot how
EA greenlighted a SW battlefront 2 single player campaign by cpt sweden with stronkwummun lead that ages into a stronklady by the end of the game ( apparently, I skimmed on yt for the lighting tech) :lol:

Game Team: Engineering​

Game Team: Art​

Game Team: Design​

Leads​

Directors Team​

Executive Producers
Directors of Product Development
Art Director
Technical Art Director
Animation Director
Audio Director
Creative Director
Design Director
Technical Design Director
Technical Director
Producers
Development Directors
Senior Development Director Live Entertainment
Associate Design Director
Additional Senior Producers
Additional Art Directors
Producers
Development Directors
Lead Core Gameplay Designer
Lead Vehicle Designer
Lead Special Units Designer
Lead Character Designer
Lead World and Game Mode Designer
Lead Engagement Designer
Lead UI/UX Game Designer
2D Lead
Lead 3D Artists
Lead Character Artist
Lead Lighting Artist
Lead VFX Artist
Lead Concept Artist
Lead Sound Designer
Associate Technical Director
Lead Gameplay Engineers
Lead Rendering Engineers
Lead Online Engineers
Online Service Lead
Lead UI Engineers
Lead Build Engineer
Additional Animation Director
Lead Animators
Lead Technical Animator
Localization Director
Quality Assurance Director
Quality Assurance Project manager
QE Technical Director
Project Assistant
Additional Narrative Direction
Additional Partnership Management
Technical Designers
World and Game Mode Designer
Level Designers
Character Designers
Vehicle Designer
Core Gameplay Designers
Engagement Designers
UI Designers
UI Scripters
Senior Technical Artist
Technical Artists
Technical UI Artist
Environment Artists
3D Artists
Character Artists
VFX Artists
Lighting Artists
2D Artists
Level Artist
Concept Artists
Software Environment Engineer
Software Tools Engineer
Software AI Engineer
Software Hero Engieners
Software Core Gameplay Engineers
Software Vehicle Engineers
Software Online Engineers
Software Rendering Engineers
Software Core System Engineers
Software Audio Engineers
Software UI Engineers

Last edited:
Andromeda failed at its premise, there really was nothing exciting coming from it even if you ignore the game that actually released.

Granted, the biggest problem with the premise was the fact that it is a Mass Effect game, but my point stands.

Half-assed explanation as to how you could even get to Andromeda in the given time frame, bringing Krogans, going to Andromeda in the first place, etc.

Despite all the limitations of Mass Effect, it still captured the feeling of exploring barren space much better than Andromeda ever did. 99% of the Milky Way was unexplored at the time of ME so restarting civilization in the same galaxy would have worked much better.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Mass Effect is the best space opera of gaming because it is the only one. There is simply no comparison.
True. If you take the best parts from each ME game you have enough to make a single great game.

In my opinion, Mass Effect would be much better if they did Star Trek, or possibly Valerian (I see some similarities between the Citadel and the station from one of the comics) than Star Wars.

Bioware once made one good Star Wars, but they worked on purchased mechanic it was a different time for thisd company.

Padzi

Arbiter
Mass Effect is the best space opera of gaming because it is the only one. There is simply no comparison.
True. If you take the best parts from each ME game you have enough to make a single great game.

In my opinion, Mass Effect would be much better if they did Star Trek, or possibly Valerian (I see some similarities between the Citadel and the station from one of the comics) than Star Wars.

Bioware once made one good Star Wars, but they worked on purchased mechanic it was a different time for thisd company.
Oh please, Mass Effect was good just the way it was. It had its charm despite drawing inspiration from many other sci-fi works. The writing with each subsequent installment became worse. And Derpomeda was just utter shit.

Also the Citadel is based om Babylon 5 station much more than anything from Valerian.

scytheavatar

Scholar

Star Trek appeals to a much more niche audience than Star Wars...... if I am an EA executive I know which direction I would demand BioWare go with Mass Effect. Hard sci-fi is a dead genre and nowadays the direction to go with sci-fi is to make stuff that sells to fantasy fans.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Oh please, Mass Effect was good just the way it was. It had its charm despite drawing inspiration from many other sci-fi works. The writing with each subsequent installment became worse. And Derpomeda was just utter shit.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with inspiration.

Also the Citadel is based om Babylon 5 station much more than anything from Valerian.

This is the official version. But I see more similarities, major and minor, with Valerian. This makes sense because Bioware is a Canadian studio, so they have a lot of Francophones.

Star Trek appeals to a much more niche audience than Star Wars...... if I am an EA executive I know which direction I would demand BioWare go with Mass Effect. Hard sci-fi is a dead genre and nowadays the direction to go with sci-fi is to make stuff that sells to fantasy fans.

This was certainly the logic behind them. Bars, charts, predictability of capitalist actions. The death of creativity in corporate hell.

I believe that adopting the Star Trek formula would only improve Mass Effect, because it is designed for episodic gameplay, i.e. side quests. Context instead of a clear plot line.

Failure to understand this fact was one of the reasons why Andromeda failed.

J1M

Arcane

This is the official version. But I see more similarities, major and minor, with Valerian. This makes sense because Bioware is a Canadian studio, so they have a lot of Francophones.

This was certainly the logic behind them. Bars, charts, predictability of capitalist actions. The death of creativity in corporate hell.

I believe that adopting the Star Trek formula would only improve Mass Effect, because it is designed for episodic gameplay, i.e. side quests. Context instead of a clear plot line.

Edmonton is the opposite of french Canada.

Can't comment on Valerian claims.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

I realize where Edmonton is, but we don't live in a time where people die where they were born. This is especially true in our favorite industry. If I were a French-speaking Canadian in the 2000s and I wanted to work in game dev, I would definitely apply for a job at Bioware, even if it meant changing my address.

J1M

Arcane

I realize where Edmonton is, but we don't live in a time where people die where they were born. This is especially true in our favorite industry. If I were a French-speaking Canadian in the 2000s and I wanted to work in game dev, I would definitely apply for a job at Bioware, even if it meant changing my address.
No, you would want to stay in Quebec where people actually speak French, you are trapped due to an inherited rent control apartment, and there are 1000x more game dev jobs due to government subsidies.

Shaki

Arbiter
Lots of edgy shit posting about the ME trilogy... But it's still the only space opera we have in gaming, there's nothing like it.

I would have thought the sub genre would be a gold mine for RPGs and action adventure games, but sadly scifi is has long taken a back seat to fantasy.
I never thought I'd see the day someone on the Codex would unironically claim that Mass Effect is the only space opera in gaming.
Codex is just reddit with slurs. Take average reddit opinion, add "nigger" to it, you have average Codex opinion.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

No, you would want to stay in Quebec where people actually speak French, you are trapped due to an inherited rent control apartment, and there are 1000x more game dev jobs due to government subsidies.

Now? Probably. But in the 2000s, when Bioware was on the rise?

I never thought I'd see the day someone on the Codex would unironically claim that Mass Effect is the only space opera in gaming.
Codex is just reddit with slurs. Take average reddit opinion, add "nigger" to it, you have average Codex opinion.

An unjustified sense of one's own separateness and the resulting superiority is also a feature of Reddit.

I never thought I'd see the day someone on the Codex would unironically claim that Mass Effect is the only space opera in gaming. It's shameful that someone whose been around this long hasn't heard of Wing Commander or Star Control.

Granted, we're still getting a shit deal considering that most of the serious efforts at space opera were either 20+ years ago or are hard to find indie titles. Considering that for most of the past 20 years, some sort of space opera was popular on TV or in the movies, you'd expect more people would line up to do it.

Wing Commander and Star Control are games only partly based on space opera. I would even say that these are games set in space rather than space operas.

And also RPG only to a small extent.

J1M

Arcane

An unjustified sense of one's own separateness and the resulting superiority is also a feature of Reddit.

Wing Commander and Star Control are games only partly based on space opera. I would even say that these are games set in space rather than space operas.

And also RPG only to a small extent.
Government subsidies were in Quebec in the 90s. Ubisoft Montreal opened in 1997. EA Montreal in 2004. Specifically to poach from smaller studios.

One recruiting antic involved buying a billboard in front of the window of a AA studio and just putting 10 double-digit numbers on it: the ASCII code for "NOW HIRING".

Silverfish

Arbiter

I've been on the Codex for a relatively short time, but so far I haven't seen anyone say "I can't wait to see the new Marvel movie, nigger" or "Here's why a program for 8-year-olds is actually surprisingly deep, nigger".

Hagashager

Educated
That's because redditors come here to voice their non-Reddit opinions. Most people here are also Redditors but we go to Reddit to share our brain-dead retarded intrusive thoughts so we can be marginally more thoughtful (and offensive) here.

The Jester

Cipher

I've been on the Codex for a relatively short time, but so far I haven't seen anyone say "I can't wait to see the new Marvel movie, nigger" or "Here's why a program for 8-year-olds is actually surprisingly deep, nigger".
Black lives matter, nigger.

Xelocix

Learned
Granted, the biggest problem with the premise was the fact that it is a Mass Effect game, but my point stands.

This is the real reason the game failed.

9aLcRmg.png
b2mPYYI.jpg

MEA20march20171222.jpg

Nobody gave that big of a shit about the premise.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
That's because redditors come here to voice their non-Reddit opinions. Most people here are also Redditors but we go to Reddit to share our brain-dead retarded intrusive thoughts so we can be marginally more thoughtful (and offensive) here.
Codex is one of the last vestiges of admins rulez instead of admins' rules.

Camel

Scholar
I know JarlFrank and Kony are redditors. Who else?
This is the real reason the game failed.
Former BSN and Reddit would be better places for you.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Oh yeah. Frenchies love Alberta and Alberta loves the Frenchies. Which is why it's arguably the most French hostile area in the entire country. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom