Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect New Mass Effect confirmed

Tytus

Arcane
Nerds? More like LOREMASTERS! :obviously:

My brain is on fire. I have another theory for Mass Effect. After Lazarus project, you hear a familiar voice. As you open one eye, you see Keanu Reaves as Cerberus undercover agent telling you: " Wake up Shepard. We have a gallaxy to buurrrrrnn!"

Shut up nerd.
Now money and lunch.

1c4f3d6110fb692ff55503e44877e87c.jpg

Padzi

Arbiter

Tytus

Arcane
Nerds? More like LOREMASTERS! :obviously:

My brain is on fire. I have another theory for Mass Effect. After Lazarus project, you hear a familiar voice. As you open one eye, you see Keanu Reaves as Cerberus undercover agent telling you: " Wake up Shepard. We have a gallaxy to buurrrrrnn!"

Shut up nerd.
Now money and lunch.

1c4f3d6110fb692ff55503e44877e87c.jpg

You said something?

937e2d83c23d06de72947068500763d090c83f72.jpg

81160543.jpg

If they make ME 4 there has to be at least one Miranda-tier ass available in your crew. Otherwise I dont see the point.
The game physics technology to handle even larger Ass Effects now exists. Go BIG or go home.

1iSY7Az.jpg

Tali needs an improvement too.

sample_85edcb0e948463c291ef5a2671e03562.jpg

Falksi

Arcane
Funnily enough I've just replayed through Mass Effect 2, and fuck me did it drag ( I skipped a fair few side-quests too)

I was actually enjoying it somewhat to start with. Archangel & his acquisition has always been a highlight, but then mid-way it dumps so many dull missions on you.

ME1 I loved and will be returning to soon, but they really need to get a grip if they're to salvage anything from this franchize.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Funnily enough I've just replayed through Mass Effect 2, and fuck me did it drag ( I skipped a fair few side-quests too)

I was actually enjoying it somewhat to start with. Archangel & his acquisition has always been a highlight, but then mid-way it dumps so many dull missions on you.

ME1 I loved and will be returning to soon, but they really need to get a grip if they're to salvage anything from this franchize.

Whenever I think about buying a new game, I think about whether I want to replay anything in my library. Then I think about the shit things in the game (that stand out the most) and as soon as I remember ME2, I remember the planet scanning.

Which if I remember correctly was designed by a female SJW of Bioware who said she didn't even like RPGs? Or was it the combat? Or maybe that was another diversity hire...?

The point being that even if ME was the Sofia Vergara of RPGs, would I have her as a girlfriend if she had a strapon fetish that she wanted to indulge once to three times a week?.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, obviously. I don't do butt stuff only with men. ME is, however, not the Sofia Vergara of RPGs, more like America Ferrera in the TV show Ugly Betty.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

Huh, I always considered ME2's second half to be its best part. Pre-Horizon the game is pretty slow-paced and can be kind of a slog IMO, it's when the Illium missions and loyalty missions unlock that the game starts picking up.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

One thing I liked about ME2 was its Deus Ex style structure, by which I mean hubs with designed mission areas. One of Andromeda's mistakes IMO was going "BIG OPEN WORLD!" like so many games do now. I wonder what this game will do.

Blitzkrieg

Novice
This style of large open world games being populated with nothing but terrible collection and kill filler quests can fuck off. I almost completely lose interest in a game when it has all these terrible quests everywhere. I played until act 2 of cyberpunk and tried to go find some interesting side quests like the Witcher had. Its all filler just like Andromeda. That's why I can't play any ubisoft or farcry games it all so meaningless.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This style of large open world games being populated with nothing but terrible collection and kill filler quests can fuck off. I almost completely lose interest in a game when it has all these terrible quests everywhere. I played until act 2 of cyberpunk and tried to go find some interesting side quests like the Witcher had. Its all filler just like Andromeda. That's why I can't play any ubisoft or farcry games it all so meaningless.

I agree in general, though I will say I think a lot of times people force themselves to do it all when they don't have to. I replayed Dragon Age 3 earlier this year and ignored over half the game and enjoyed it a lot more, and I leveled up enough to finish it just fine. In fact with the DLCs, I think I hit the level cap anyway. Cyberpunk seems similar, there's lots of bullshit with little substance but there are also good side quests, and I bet you don't need to do anything you don't want to do. Though in Cyberpunk it's hard to tell what's a good quest and what isn't, since they are all random map markers at first.

Anyway, I agree in general about open world checklist design. Like I said, I hope it's more ME2 in structure, but we'll see. EA recently put out a great singleplayer game with Jedi: Fallen Order, so you never know.

Mintbarbecue

Novice

I agree in general, though I will say I think a lot of times people force themselves to do it all when they don't have to. I replayed Dragon Age 3 earlier this year and ignored over half the game and enjoyed it a lot more, and I leveled up enough to finish it just fine. In fact with the DLCs, I think I hit the level cap anyway. Cyberpunk seems similar, there's lots of bullshit with little substance but there are also good side quests, and I bet you don't need to do anything you don't want to do. Though in Cyberpunk it's hard to tell what's a good quest and what isn't, since they are all random map markers at first.

Anyway, I agree in general about open world checklist design. Like I said, I hope it's more ME2 in structure, but we'll see. EA recently put out a great singleplayer game with Jedi: Fallen Order, so you never know.

My tought is that they should leave all that open world cheklisty crap out if both DA and ME.
Honestly I liked both DA and ME series to a certain extent but both Inquisiton and Andromeda fucked up by being empty MMO-s with really, reaaaaalllllyyyy boring useless quests.
Altough now that I think about it they actually were probably MMOs turned SP games.
Would coincide with EA after turning SWTOR into TOR.
They were saying that Bioware would only do MMO/F2P crap from now on, of course this was before TOR tanked and didn't deliver the WOW numbers that every MMO is chasing.
So they probably turned them back to SP games at some point.

Other than that Inquisiton was kinda good storywise, altough probably they could have developed npc party members more. That was my main gripe.
Only because it really shined trough on occasion that some of the writes actually knew how to do characterization, even the romance be it straight or gay felt like they were out of a romance novel in a good way, only problem it felt to short and underdeveloped.
I mean both character and romance stories felt bit undercooked was a shame because there were glimpses of actually good writing, as in really simple, not earth shattering but I wasn't expecting that either.
Hardly any good leisure books with decent writers, so it really stood out in game, which usually has unbearable level of cringy writing.

The same can be said of andromeda, the only problem that game was even more unfinished than Inquisiton.
The main story could have been actually good because it came over as not epic hero saves universe crap, but protag being a kid who struggles to keep shit together after your father's death and having a duty placed on his/her shoulders.
Should have explored that more, like having leadership issues and so on, instead it quickly deviated into another epic something.
Then there was the whole new galaxy, and all the inconsistencies that come with a star trek wannabe story, if you write somethning like that it is really hard to follow and keep up with. Ultimately they failed spectacularly.

In terms of game systems now that's where Inquisiton should have been crucified even tough I kinda liked the story it was just a chore to play the actual game especially as a melee fighter.
Jesus was that bad, they tried to make tactical camera with turnbased rpg combat and real time hack and slash combat working at the same time. Of course it's going to be a clusterfuck.
They should've just made the game hack and slash with polished fluid gameplay.
Instead we got something like mmo controls in a world desinged mostly for hack and slash combat, with the occasional tactical fight (only dragons and maybe final boss) designed for the old DA:O gameplay, which of course didn't work since you couldnt do anything tactical in game
just button mash and auto attack.
Combat controlls and AI were the worst in any Bioware game up to date.

Andromeda was just a buggy unfinished mess, but at least the fps combat worked mostly. I suppose they had three games to perfect it.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Inquisition had a beautiful world to explore, it showed what frostbite is capable of in that regard, even the main story and main side quests from companions weren't any worse than the previous games. The main issue was how the populated that world, it was empty, with no interesting quests, no cities, no towns, it was just one kill and collect mmo task after another.

When compared to it's competition at the time, witcher 3, it felt like an empty theme park instead of the lived in world full of interesting possibilities that was cdprojekts game. That's the stick that any BioWare fantasy RPG, or any AAA fantasy rpg will be measured, witcher 3.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Massive, growing space world theme. Interstellar travel. Variety of combative factions.

Sequel Results: Leans into *reads note* Cover-Shooting.

:negative:

Ebonsword

Arcane
One thing I liked about ME2 was its Deus Ex style structure, by which I mean hubs with designed mission areas. One of Andromeda's mistakes IMO was going "BIG OPEN WORLD!" like so many games do now. I wonder what this game will do.

I actually really liked the open world in ME:A. It made the universe feel like it had some scope to it. Going from corridor to corridor in ME2 made everything feel so confined and small.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Precursors - unfinished Ukrainian space shooter with sparse RPG elements, made on shoestring budget and released in 2009 - featured vehicle land combat and space combat. Year later, ME 2 comes out and it's pure cover shooter.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Precursors - unfinished Ukrainian space shooter with sparse RPG elements, made on shoestring budget and released in 2009 - featured vehicle land combat and space combat. Year later, ME 2 comes out and it's pure cover shooter.

Precursors was also very unplayable, iirc.

Aarwolf

Learned

I have to give it a try. How long is this game and is it playable (ie. gamebreaking bugs, not glitches or broken voice acting)?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
icd5teofmk461.gif

New ME!!!

Why not? Games need to be inclusive. E.g:

Look at how Geralt is still manly and attractive. If he was representing all of society (like Pakistani Muslims who keep having kids with their cousins) Shephard would look more realistic:
A7wpz-Uoc-Ophr-640x360.jpg

And people would be justified in calling him a freak. Because of their internal bias. And all that.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I have to give it a try. How long is this game and is it playable (ie. gamebreaking bugs, not glitches or broken voice acting)?
It was long since I played it, but I remember playing it till the end of released campaign just fine. Bugs and glitches should be expected, of course, and translation is not the best (according to Tehsnakerer, I played in Russian). You may watch his video though, maybe this will save you some money if you intended to buy Precursors from Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom