Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect New Mass Effect confirmed

KVVRR

Learned
the asari have known about them for at least ~2500 years and have learned... nothing, as far as I remember.
iirc they were aware of the reapers though and just chose not to share it with anyone
That's my problem with Mass Effect as a setting. The fact that no one seems to innovate- so much so that the Reapers rely upon that stagnation.

I can accept all aliens being vaguely humanoid.

I can force myself to accept (begrudgingly) the idea that humanity managed to integrate and assimilate into *Galactic* society in just 30 years.

But the idea that *none* of ME's races, including races like Salarians and Quarians- species known for innovations- never though to innovate beyond Reaper-placed technology is just stupid.

Just because the Romans built incredible aqueducts in their time doesn't mean people in the Medieval Era stopped attempting to do it themselves.
I don't personally mind this with the mass effect relays because the whole point is that they were made by the reapers and thus might as well be fucking magic for all we know. They were made with the purpose of lining species through a very specific path once they found them because - hey, who wouldn't take advantage? Add some mumbo jumbo about the relays being so advanced that they're uncipherable even by the brightest minds, give some bullshit reason as to why you can replicate the mass effect on a smaller scale but nothing like the relays and you're golden.

The games don't really do this AFAIK though and whenever you do see some massive project that advances the setting its... the Lazarus project or the crucible. So I'd rather they just keep this stagnant at that point, honestly.

Camel

Scholar
That's my problem with Mass Effect as a setting. The fact that no one seems to innovate- so much so that the Reapers rely upon that stagnation.

I can force myself to accept (begrudgingly) the idea that humanity managed to integrate and assimilate into *Galactic* society in just 30 years.

But the idea that *none* of ME's races, including races like Salarians and Quarians- species known for innovations- never though to innovate beyond Reaper-placed technology is just stupid.

Just because the Romans built incredible aqueducts in their time doesn't mean people in the Medieval Era stopped attempting to do it themselves.
I think better comparison would be the Medieval Europeans using the Roman roads just like ME races using the Reaper Jump Gates Mass Relays. But progress never stops and the Europeans invented firearms and better ships than the Romans in XIV and XV centuries.
BioWare teased the Thanix cannons and how four dreadnoughts can destroy a Reaper capital ship. So it was high time for the Turians or other races to invent weapons capable of destroying the Sovereign-class ships. But in-game the Reapers were invulnerable which messed the series plot in the end.

Egosphere

Arcane
the asari have known about them for at least ~2500 years and have learned... nothing, as far as I remember.
iirc they were aware of the reapers though and just chose not to share it with anyone

I think the humanoid form would be the result of convergent evolution. There would be pressure for the lifeform to be land based, possess prehensility (and ergo bipedalism), possess sensory organs that would process sound, light, heat etc. which all in turn undergo selection to become a certain shape due to advantages it confers ( eg. ears having a helix to better capture and direct sound ). I don't think the Hanar could ever become an intelligent species, for example. Or perhaps you could have remnants of either de novo organisms or uplifted animals left over from Prothean experiments, and even then there would be severe risk of such species degenerating back into their atavistic forms.

Hagashager

Educated

I think the humanoid form would be the result of convergent evolution. There would be pressure for the lifeform to be land based, possess prehensility (and ergo bipedalism), possess sensory organs that would process sound, light, heat etc. which all in turn undergo selection to become a certain shape due to advantages it confers ( eg. ears having a helix to better capture and direct sound ). I don't think the Hanar could ever become an intelligent species, for example. Or perhaps you could have remnants of either de novo organisms or uplifted animals left over from Prothean experiments, and even then there would be severe risk of such species degenerating back into their atavistic forms.
Hence my willingness to accept it. While statistically improbable, the only known sentient life we know of is ourselves. Stands to reason other sentient life out there can't be too far away from the Human form.

The other one I have a hard time with though is Humanity integrating into Citadel society in just 30 years.

Yes, we're an ambitious species, we move really fast when we want to, and we adapt to any circumstance. Even still, it took the Irish nearly a century to integrate into American life fully, and we're a human society that begrudgingly tolerates immigrants on a single section of a single continent.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
If you move into the Salarian neighborhood, soon every alien has seen humans living with them since before they were born.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/mass-effe...d-return-to-its-classic-format-insider-teases

Mass Effect 4 will ditch an open world and return to its "classic format", insider teases​

Stay massy.

Mass Effect developer BioWare is pulling back from Andromeda's open-world approach and plans to streamline its world for Mass Effect 4.

The news comes via Window Central's Jez Corden, who's heard rumours that BioWare plans to "ditch open world and go back to [the franchise's] classic format".

Corden made the claim in the latest edition of his podcast, The Xbox Two Podcast, in a broader conversation about the pros of established studios sticking to the development blueprint that made their games so special versus the cons of taking risks and innovating, only for it to instantly crash and burn.

Reflecting on Bethesda's success with Starfield and its recycling of so many of the things we've come to expect from the team's internal development studios, Corden's thoughts turned to Mass Effect, which had phenomenal success with its first three games (Mass Effect 3's controversial ending aside), but struggled to make a similar impact with follow-up Andromeda. And that's when he made the revelation.

"I've heard that Mass Effect is ditching open world," Corden said, "and going back to its classic format. I don't know if that's accurate, 100 per cent, but it's an industry rumour."

Is it much to go on? Probably not. And if true, it's probably not even that much of a surprise, either. But it's enough to make some Mass Effect fans very, very happy nonetheless. We'll keep you posted should we hear more – rumour or otherwise.

"I wonder sometimes whether BioWare will ever do another trilogy of games again, because the more time that passes, the more I appreciate what an ambitious idea that was, with Mass Effect," Bertie writes in his fantastic feature, Making Mass Effect, from the birth of a trilogy to Andromeda and beyond, in which he interviews Mass Effect writer, Mac Walters.

"Three games that would tell one story and that you could carry one hero all the way through - that's not just bold, that's borderline outrageous, especially when you consider all the choices and consequences typically in one of the studio's games. And it's only now, really, when I see no one else attempting to do the same thing - not to that degree, anyway - I realise how special it was."

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ditching the open world?

Man the Starfield Effect is the reverse of the Skyrim Effect. Everyone wanted to be Skyrim, now no one wants to be Starfield.

Frozen

Arcane
Can we fuck a Yahg or chose tentacle genitals is the true question.

Swen is crying in a corner somewhere afraid of infinite possibilities ME4 presents.

Vyadhis

Learned
How the fuck could anyone be excited for this after how bad ME:A was and with the current state of Bioware? Just replay the old games if you like the series.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Thank you for the thirdhand industry rumor regarding this action shooter game with a lot of talking (RPG).

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I think people here are misguided by the phrase about "classic format"
It is not about chaacter developement and presentation,it is about this:
1682276154791824.jpg

and all biowhore damas. crunches and quarreling devs along with CEOs demanding to make "something like Baldur's Gate and Starfield in Mass Effect franchize. Go, chop chop, deadline is ticking, put that quota hired Tyrone to work".

RepHope

Savant
How can you have Mass Effect 4 without choosing red, green or blue as canon?
They probably are canonizing Destroy. Wasn’t there concept art of a destroyed relay being rebuilt? The other two don’t really allow for the possibility of conflict with the Reapers being around and helpful.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I was there when those retarded words were written on the BSN. I do not need a reminder of their existence, even if its been more than 10 years.

Modron

Arcane
I was there when those retarded words were written on the BSN. I do not need a reminder of their existence, even if its been more than 10 years.
:shunthenonbeliever:
The codex could use some kind of Scarlet B title to identify Bioware Social Network 'fugees.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The codex could use some kind of Scarlet B title to identify Bioware Social Network 'fugees.
In my defense, I joined the Bioware forums back in the NWN 1 days. I've always rejected the nu-bioware and the community they attracted after Dragon Age : Origins, to eventually stop reading it entirely after Mass Effect 3.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How can you have Mass Effect 4 without choosing red, green or blue as canon?
They probably are canonizing Destroy. Wasn’t there concept art of a destroyed relay being rebuilt? The other two don’t really allow for the possibility of conflict with the Reapers being around and helpful.
red ending it's canon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom