Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

Silverfish

Arbiter
Right. Because there are plenty of other options, GoW is just okay and not that great in the grand scheme of things. As someone who would publicly admit to using dual swords, I knew it'd take you a minute to catch up, but all that matters is that you got there.

Yay I can finally play this game. Had to try "demo" version again after finishing Elden Ring, since it's a fresh windows install. Seeing that it finally launches I immediately grabbed it from ENEBA for 25 euro.

I've read somewhere that Nioh 2 is easier than first one. Not my experience so far, after having beaten first main and side missions. Human enemies not giving me much problem but every Yokai encounter so far has been rape. Running Odachi for now, since I liked it in first game but never finished that run. Combat is a delight after almost 130 hours in Elden Ring, and I'm sure it's just gonna get better once I get better toys and develop better understanding of systems.

Suicidal

Arcane
Yay I can finally play this game. Had to try "demo" version again after finishing Elden Ring, since it's a fresh windows install. Seeing that it finally launches I immediately grabbed it from ENEBA for 25 euro.

I've read somewhere that Nioh 2 is easier than first one. Not my experience so far, after having beaten first main and side missions. Human enemies not giving me much problem but every Yokai encounter so far has been rape. Running Odachi for now, since I liked it in first game but never finished that run. Combat is a delight after almost 130 hours in Elden Ring, and I'm sure it's just gonna get better once I get better toys and develop better understanding of systems.

It's harder than Nioh 1 at the start but you get access to more broken tools later and then it becomes easier.

Jinn

Arcane
The game is challenging and fun. People obsess far too much on hardcore difficulty and what it implies. They also tend to forget that they are continually getting better at these difficult games as time goes on. The developers can only do so much to match that increase in skill without things becoming absurd.

Also, both Nioh 1 and 2 have such a great variety to their offered playstyles and combinations of playstyles that while one build might have a much harder time in one, they might have an easier in another, and vice-versa.

But regardless of any of this, you're always going to come across some moron on the internet claiming how easy this game or other is. 10% of them might be telling the truth.

Fuck it, I seem to be mostly wanting to level Stamina so far so might as well use a weapon that scales off it. Going to try Axe with Odachi left as secondary for now. I like the feelz of it.

That snake boy took some dying. Finishing up side missions before I move to next chapter.

Sjukob

Arcane
Fuck it, I seem to be mostly wanting to level Stamina so far so might as well use a weapon that scales off it. Going to try Axe with Odachi left as secondary for now. I like the feelz of it.

That snake boy took some dying. Finishing up side missions before I move to next chapter.
I've heard that in Japan games like Nioh are called massacore or something, basically death games. So dying repeteadly is intended experience. Something is wrong if you don't feel like the game does things to your ass.

Well shit, took a wrong turn in first mission of chapter 2 and ended up at a boss before fully exploring the mission and finding all the Kodamas. Then I beat him first try and that's it, no way to go back, the entrance to the arena is closed and all I can do is exit the mission. That's a little annoying. Oh well, I guess I don't need all them little green shits anyway.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Hello,
Picked up this too. I have a couple questions.

Is there a specific reason why you get to choose exactly two types of weapon in the beginning? Why would one want to use more than one type of weapon (especially if the other is not a ranged weapon such as a bow)?

Does this game allow for any combat styles (and character builds) other than physical weapons, such as magic, etc?

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
Is there a specific reason why you get to choose exactly two types of weapon in the beginning? Why would one want to use more than one type of weapon (especially if the other is not a ranged weapon such as a bow)?

It can be beneficial to find weapons that compliment each other. For my part, I dig spear (to play keep away) and tonfas (for when I can't) or axe (for damage) and sword (for speed). Also, once you've got the flux skills, you can put together some dope DMC-style combos. To be fair, you don't really need more than one melee weapon at a time if you want to focus.

Does this game allow for any combat styles (and character builds) other than physical weapons, such as magic, etc?

Magic and ninjutsu are not only really fun, but also break the game. You can't go wrong.

I'm definitely feeling like investing a little more in DEX for some more ninjutsu capability. Right now I have it at 13 to have 10 poison shurikens. Those already help out a lot against higher hp enemies and bosses.

Sjukob

Arcane
I'm definitely feeling like investing a little more in DEX for some more ninjutsu capability. Right now I have it at 13 to have 10 poison shurikens. Those already help out a lot against higher hp enemies and bosses.
Just use feathers on enemies after you deplete their ki.

Mojobeard

Augur
I've heard that in Japan games like Nioh are called massacore or something, basically death games. So dying repeteadly is intended experience. Something is wrong if you don't feel like the game does things to your ass.
Masocore = masochism + hardcore. Not so much about death, but a (normie) perception that only masochists would enjoy these games.

40+ hours into the game and only know I discover I can spend prestige points to upgrade stuff. Never opened "Titles" menu before because I assumed it was some useless shit.

because I assumed it was some useless shit.
i mean, prestige points usually give you stuff like "+0,00025% to loot droprate when the moon is right". So it's not like you missed on something useful.

9805F13296077C422C35E0E167827A276FC17BB9

Doesn't look quite as useless as that to me.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
since i had bough this game when it was on sale, because i enjoyed Nioh a lot, i started a new game to hopefully complete it this time, at least NG. What i can say? I just beat Enenra and already got bored. DK if i'm not in the mood to play it rn of the game is very boring in itself. It's weird because i had a lot of fun with Nioh, but here it seems everything is copypasted from first game with few ( bad) new gimmicks.
Story is less interesting than first one, same for characters . Levels have a lot of details but it's all wasted because there is no real exploration or rewards beside the kodama or the ocean of loot the game vomits at you of which 99% you 'll discard.
new weapons are ...ok i guess?
Skill tree is very dispersive and time consuming.
on top of all the yokai form is boring and an involution compared to living weapons. overall the game gives a feeling of déjà vu and it's not satisfying at all. i'll still try to complete the run only to see how the story goes and how weapons work with more skill points, but i don't have much hope the experience can improve drastically

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The enemy variety is way too low just like the first game. Fighting the same 4 demon types 300 times each isn't fun.

Sjukob

Arcane
The enemy variety is way too low just like the first game. Fighting the same 4 demon types 300 times each isn't fun.
I really don't get this complaint, enemy variety is enormously high, I don't think I've seen so many enemy types in any action game ever.

Suicidal

Arcane
"Nioh has no enemy variety" is such a fucking meme and I don't understand why people keep regurgitating it. Like I could see it if it if were talking about the first game, but they added so much new shit in Nioh 2 on top of taking enemies from the first game and giving them a graphical makeover + giving them new abilities.

Let's take a look at some facts, courtesy of the game's wiki:

Not counting the different varieties of units (like one legged demons with hammers or with swords), even though they have different movesets, cause I can't be bothered, Nioh 2 has 51 different normal enemy types, that, as I said, can also come in different variations (different weapons, different elements, big or small).

Let's compare this with some other generally beloved action games:

Devil May Cry 3: 20 enemy types
Devil May Cry 5: 19 enemy types
Bayonetta: 16 enemy types
Sekiro: 76 enemy types, but here I should note that the wiki lists the same peasants or soldiers as different enemies DEPENDING ON THE WEAPON THEY ARE USING, while Nioh's wiki does not (it just says stuff like Human Bandit, Human Samurai, etc.), so taking that into account, Sekiro's number of unique enemy types should be lower than Nioh 2's.

I could go on.

Also let's not forget that the average enemy in Nioh 2 has a much more complex moveset than enemies in most other games, including even bosses.

Speaking of bosses, according to the wiki Nioh 2 has 46 different UNIQUE bosses. That's almost as many as there are normal enemies. Sure, some of them were imported from the first game and some are just "Buffed samurai dude with some unique flair of magic", but that's still more bosses than in every single hack & slash like DMC and in every single Souls game except Elden Ring, which supposedly has over 200, but we all know that most of them are just re-skins or re-colors of previous bosses or trash mobs, so it's possible that the number of actually unique bosses would be close to how many Nioh 2 has.

It really makes me think that people who perpetuate the "no enemies xddd" bullshit haven't even played the game and just parrot whatever NPC opinion they saw on reddit or some other shithole.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
DMC and Bayonetta are beat 'em ups, not action RPGs like Nioh. Not comparable. Raw numbers don't tell the whole story either, it doesn't matter if a game has 300 unique enemies if you fight a small number of those for the majority of the time.

Boss variety is a separate issue entirely, but Nioh and Nioh 2 are fine in this aspect. The bosses were the only thing keeping me playing Nioh 2 as long as I did until I finally got sick of the boring levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom