Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Codex Year of the Donut
Pets are one of the first good ideas they've added. Maybe it will be playable in another 50 years.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
No. It's not that. Like, I'd applaud him if the game was actually good. It's not. Him existing or not doesn't matter to me so much as the fact that it was just a BAD game. A horrible game that didn't deliver one tenth of the promises.

kreight

Hes a douche who managed to squeze his head into a sonys ass just by existing thats what he is. a shame a spotlight falls on guys like him

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I just got annoyed how quickly everyone, and I mean everyone, shilled for him with no proof of concept. And I don't mean people here, but EVERYWHERE, in the media, what have you. Even Steve Colbert sucked him off. That was what probably got to me the most. Like, if he delivered, more power to him.

But he got sucked off, and the load he gave wasn't even half protein, but all used up shit that was no good.

At this point, you have to wonder what his future in the game industry really is.

Curratum

I am starting to wonder where they are getting their money from.

Do you have any idea how much money they made when that shit released? And it keeps popping up in Steam's top sellers with every big patch and sale.

"Steam Spy estimated that more than 823,000 copies were sold in 2016 for a total gross revenue of more than $43 million."

That's just 2016...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I found this for 13 bux and after Subnautica I had an itch for survival/base building. Been playing it for a couple of hours nao and not sure if it's actually phenomenal or the most retarded piece of software I've ever seen.

I'm guessing the reason I keep playing is the questline that gives the game a structure and when I run out of story I'll be left with a huge pile of pointless procedural algorithm, shallow as a 2D plane. Is that about right?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
So I found this for 13 bux and after Subnautica I had an itch for survival/base building.
I made the same mistake for exactly the same reason.

Believe me, you will want to kill yourself way before you even finish the supposed "questline". The word 'horrendous' doesn't even cover it, it's the most generic MMO plotline in history and it drags on forever, while also doubling as the longest tutorial in history of gaming.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I think adding to the survival section would be possibly fun with this game. Like deathworlds ala the kind where the aliens from "A Quiet Place" originated, where you have to build and maintain your base while under continual assault from aliens. Capture some to sell on the open market, maintain trade routes for valuable chemicals, minerals, etc. establish a relationship with the major mining cartel, build a compound for miners, discover species of plant and animal, when ground down and combined make incredible narcotics. Get the miners hooked. Then export your narcotics across the sector.

Now, if only they had a game like that.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I found this for 13 bux and after Subnautica I had an itch for survival/base building.

Believe me, you will want to kill yourself way before you even finish the supposed "questline". The word 'horrendous' doesn't even cover it, it's the most generic MMO plotline in history and it drags on forever, while also doubling as the longest tutorial in history of gaming.
You lot shoulda gotten Valheim instead.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think adding to the survival section would be possibly fun with this game.
Let me stop you right there. This game does not need good stuff added to it. It needs the guts ripped out and to be rebuilt from scratch. The ground floor was slapped together out of dog shit. Putting glass and marble floors higher up will not make it a building worth visiting.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Is the end of the main quest still a giant "go fuck yourself"?
From what I understand, from some baffling reason it was not changed. Even a person that really likes the game - that I talked to - told me they were also baffled why the trash mainquest was never changed except for changing some resource requirements.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From what I understand, from some baffling reason it was not changed. Even a person that really likes the game - that I talked to - told me they were also baffled why the trash mainquest was never changed except for changing some resource requirements.
Because like everything else, it was half-assed, tacked on, and forgotten.

Codex Year of the Donut
It ranks up there as one of my biggest disappointments in gaming. I don't even know what I was expecting, but even how negatively I viewed the game at that point didn't prepare me for what I got.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It ranks up there as one of my biggest disappointments in gaming. I don't even know what I was expecting, but even how negatively I viewed the game at that point didn't prepare me for what I got.

It was obvious something was up when their E3 presentation showed no gameplay footage.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think that any person who has any amount of brain knew that this will be a garbage of a game the moment they said it will feature huge procedurally generated universe.

Atrachasis

Augur
I think that any person who has any amount of brain knew that this will be a garbage of a game the moment they said it will feature huge procedurally generated universe.
Elite (the original one) had procedurally generated galaxies with 256 solar systems each, each consisting of precisely one star, one uniformly green planet, and one space station. A rather repetitive gameplay loop, too. And yet it is considered a Classic, and we lost who-knowns-how-many hours of our lives to it.

I do genuinely wonder: Is NMS objectively worse in any aspect of its core game design, or would Elite be considered just as much of a dud nowadays, owing its reputation merely to its novelty at the time?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

I mean, Elite Dangerous manages to simulate the entire Milky Way. Sure, 99% of celestial bodies are barren rocks but that's only realistic. NMS doesn't even simulate planets, "landing" on one just means loading into an infinite map with a random color palette.
And the procedural generation isn't even the worst aspect. It gets boring after a while but its functional. The fundamental gameplay loop is the problem. You grind to build stuff that helps you grind more, that's it.

Elite (the original one) had procedurally generated galaxies with 256 solar systems each, each consisting of precisely one star, one uniformly green planet, and one space station. A rather repetitive gameplay loop, too. And yet it is considered a Classic, and we lost who-knowns-how-many hours of our lives to it.

I do genuinely wonder: Is NMS objectively worse in any aspect of its core game design, or would Elite be considered just as much of a dud nowadays, owing its reputation merely to its novelty at the time?
it's a classic because it was made 35 years ago, did something never done before and was absolutely incredible considered the hardware it ran on.
you can say NOT. ONE. THING. of these about no man's shit.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member

So I'm about to do the same thing, but this time with this game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom