Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Reapa

Doom Preacher
So as I said earlier I like going shooty-shooty in space (TIE Fighter is possibly my GOAT). Since the consensus here seems to be that NMS sucks at that even more than most of the other things it sucks at, does anyone have any recommendations? Not looking for anything super hardcore, but also not so simple and boring as arcade stuff.

Just bought a new joystick and am looking for something Fun to fuck around with. (And yes, I know nothing is as good as TIE Fighter).
freelancer and everspace
Played Freelancer on release and found it okay. Didn’t care for the reliance on piloting in third person and iirc the joystick controls were weirdly shit compared to m+kb. Been a long time since I played it though. Will check out Everspace.
i don't know about joystick. seems to me like a poor choice for shooters. and space shooters are shooters. but as far as i know these are the only 2 good space shooters.
3rd person in a space shooter has advantages over first person. but if i'm not mistaking you can change the camera in both of them to first person.

So as I said earlier I like going shooty-shooty in space (TIE Fighter is possibly my GOAT). Since the consensus here seems to be that NMS sucks at that even more than most of the other things it sucks at, does anyone have any recommendations? Not looking for anything super hardcore, but also not so simple and boring as arcade stuff.

Just bought a new joystick and am looking for something Fun to fuck around with. (And yes, I know nothing is as good as TIE Fighter).
freelancer and everspace
Played Freelancer on release and found it okay. Didn’t care for the reliance on piloting in third person and iirc the joystick controls were weirdly shit compared to m+kb. Been a long time since I played it though. Will check out Everspace.
i don't know about joystick. seems to me like a poor choice for shooters. and space shooters are shooters. but as far as i know these are the only 2 good space shooters.
3rd person in a space shooter has advantages over first person. but if i'm not mistaking you can change the camera in both of them to first person.

M+KB is preferable for shooters on two axes (which is what Freelancer did, and why I was overall unimpressed). The allure of space-sims to me is primarily the presence of three axes (like TIE Fighter), and joysticks are indisputably better for that due to their ability to allow for torque control.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I enjoy a bit of Everspace from time to time, but it was designed around m&k and it shows. Other controls were tacked on later and are markedly worse at controlling the ship than m&k. I think you might be disappointed if you're getting it for joystick use.

Unwanted

You

Unwanted
who is laughing now Chris Roberts? its the end of 2020 and Sean Murray has not just delivered on sand worms and multiplayer but now brings his masterpiece to the next gen of consoles, for free, again its fucking free

meanwhile pc whales are stuck with a janky tech demo of vaporware and space ship jpegs or they have to play that sperg mmo by Braben

didnt expect that didya? that the best space game of the century would be a console one, made by soybeards and a total failure at launch. yet here we are fellas, NMS is the only game that delivered on this front

you think this post is ironic? think again bucko, this fucking game is the inheritor of Star Control 2, Starflight, the original Elite, all those ambitious games back in the late 80s and early 90s that tried to fulfill the fantasy of exploring strange new alien worlds and having galaxies at your fingertips

if you are into space games at all you need to buckle up and take the jump into the finest virtual entertainment has to offer

BUY NMS TODAY, TELL YOUR FRIENDS, PLAY WITH YOUR FRIENDS, THEN PLAY NMS WITH YOUR FRIENDS

IMd5KNZ.jpg

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I saw that today and shook my head. The "prettier graphics update", here to revolutionize the game, because not having pretty enough graphics was why this game sucked.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah, I saw that today and shook my head. The "prettier graphics update", here to revolutionize the game, because not having pretty enough graphics was why this game sucked.

They are changing number of people in multi from 4 to 32 and expand possible sizes of bases. So there is some gameplay changes as well. And from how it is described it looks like it will be separate install too.

Latelistener

Arcane
I get the feeling that some people are becoming more positive about this just because it gets new updates, not because it's actually getting better.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I get the feeling that some people are becoming more positive about this just because it gets new updates, not because it's actually getting better.

Yep, core gameplay is the same generic garbage from release. But they keep adding bells and whistles to please the hoople-heads. And of course "muh multiplayer" is an instant win for the mouth breathing masses! When your playing with friends it doesnt matter how shit the game is! Exhibit A: Fallout 76

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Genuinely curious what were you expecting the game to be? It was pretty apparent that it was going to be a sandbox and anyone with a brain could've figured survival mechanics would be in there too. Most people would consider the freighter and base building mechanics that they added post-launch that they've since expanded on greatly more than just bells and whistles.

Now it's pretty much a 1:1 Daggerfall in space with multiplayer so it's delivered on everything I thought it'd be.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Genuinely curious what were you expecting the game to be?
I tried the game more recently and I expected it to be more or less what it looks like, only not garbage. I did not expect the crafting interface to be a nightmare. I did not expect to have 7 different non-sortable inventory screens for no reason. I did not expect when building a base that the base computer would have to be left outside in the rain. I did not expect that putting two walls next to each other would be physically difficult, every fucking time I tried to place a piece of my base. I did not expect space travel controls to be annoying and tiresome. I did not expect 400 different trade goods that were only different in name. (They might as well call them "commodity #1" "commodity #2" ... "commodity #400".) I did not expect space combat to be dull and simplistic. I did not expect ground combat to be "S + M1". I did not expect dragging little icons from one box to another to be the primary gameplay activity. I did not expect multiplayer to be "single player but next to another player who is also playing single player".

In short, I did not expect every single aspect of the gameplay to be done in a thoughtless and shitty way.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Imagine that resources and time spent on pretty graphics would have been spent on proper gameplay.
And they've probably done nothing about the atrocious texture popin.
no pop in if you disable tessellation. not sure why it's vulkan and not dx12. not sure if that's the cause either. but the tessellation is what seems to be too heavy to lift. it does have a huge impact on the terrain quality though. it looks completley different because it actually adds more polygons on the fly. but it seems to add too much and from nothing. maybe if a little more terrain detail was "prerendered" it would work. it's sad that the devs don't talk to the community about the shit they did and how they plan to solve it if at all.

Codex Year of the Donut
not sure why it's vulkan and not dx12.
Because dx12 is proprietary poo.
and why would i care? if it's better it should be used, if not, then maybe they should tell people wtf they are doing.
It offers nothing that Vulkan doesn't offer. They're both based off of Mantle, except Vulkan is more explicit about it.
Vulkan and DX12 are closer to each other than either is to their predecessors (OpenGL/DX11). Both of them purposely put more responsibility in the hands of the developer and less in the drivers meaning the performance of games using them will vary more wildly. If your studio doesn't actually have the technical expertise(and budget), they won't see a performance gain and possibly even a regression over the previous APIs.
There are a lot of games that offer both DX12 and DX11, with the DX12 mode running worse. I'd attribute this to inexperience, worse documentation, and smaller community of DX12 compared to Vulkan which seems to not have this issue as much.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Seriously this game could become the space MMO to kill all other space MMO's.
All it needs is the following:

-more ship types
-better space combat
-one mega server per continent (or at least country) where all players connect to
-expanded enconomic system (specially letting players make the economy)
-factions (they could also allow for sub-factions to make it easier on faction leaders to delegate tasks to it's memebers)
-planet conquering (you would do this by setting your faction flag on the planet; if other flags were placed it would be akin to declaring war and the planet becomes disputed; you would win by basically capturing the flag)
-changes to the server would be permanent (not only from depleted resources or destructed shit, but also for example, while you were offline, if you parked your ship outside a "safe port" the ship would remain there and could be stolen)
-more mech types and better mech combat
-more weapons and better combat (also maybe some different spacesuits with their own properties)
-also expanded building, specially for defense purposes, to acomodate the fact your base/city can now be raided

Then once in a while, like 1 month every 2 years, the dev team could make some special major event to like shake the "balance of power"

I want to see alien civilizations and interact in a galactic economy and shit. I want to explore old space tombs of long forgotten races. Interact with actual sophont aliens who can follow me around, maybe even have proper stories

Then I guess you're retarded because from day 1 they've selled this as another procedural generated "minecraft-esque" grind-a-ton but set in space

Codex Year of the Donut
Then I guess you're retarded because from day 1 they've selled this as another procedural generated "minecraft-esque" grind-a-ton but set in space
These are all timestamped for your convenience.

https://blog.playstation.com/2016/03/03/no-mans-sky-a-universe-filled-with-lore-and-language/
Conversely, just as it would in real life, blundering into conversations without knowing the language can have negative consequences. Saying the wrong thing in a dialogue tree will likely result in your standing decreasing, or in the trader ripping you off, or in you losing a useful item simply out of confusion. Worse still, it might even end up in your new-found acquaintance attacking you.

As has been hinted at in previous trailers, there are a number of ways to play No Man’s Sky. You can focus on exploration, on fighting, on survival, or on trading, and the NPC system feeds directly into this overarching framework.

“The nice thing about it is that the NPCs are divided up into different races. So one race is perhaps more focused on exploration and science, and knowing that helps you decide how to best interact with them,” says Sean.

“If you’re playing the game for exploration’s sake, you might want to focus on that race. But if you’re playing the game and all you want to do is kill things, there are more military-based races, so you might want to try and become friends with them.”

“Having said that, being No Man’s Sky, there is a procedural element to your interactions. The AI you talk to will know the name of the planet you’re on and will reference it. They’ll reference wanting certain things based on the environment they’re in. They’ll know if it’s cold, or hot, or whatever. You’ll see a reasonable amount of variety — it’s not just pre-baked dialogue.”
https://time.com/no-mans-sky/
... factions vying for control of the galaxy
https://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-interview-sean-murray/
“My mindset at the time was that I visualize NPCs in most games and they feel a little bit empty a lot of the time," he says. "They sit outside their shop, day and night, it doesn't seem to matter, they don't seem to be aware of what's going on. You will come up to them and you will be drenched in blood and they will still just talk to cheerily to you, you know?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom