Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Why don't they just make a genderless RPG? Couldn't that work? Could even implement a stereotypical male "race" and a stereotypical female "race" for lulz. Seriously, why doesn't anyone just remove the entire gender thing from a fantasy universe?
They should make an RPG where all characters are genderless robots. Then they could also use voice synthesis for the dialogue and have a fully voiced RPG without paying for a single actor.
Not sure if you're mocking me. :?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
It's so sad that lgbt people have self-esteem so low they feel it necessary to request inclusion when it's already a given considering New Vegas and the views of the project director.
21jujbo.png

You keep yelling Sawyer.

:what:

Grimlorn

Arcane

For a party based game you may as well go with classes since in skill based games your characters end up with well defined roles (classes) anyway.
That's why I posted that thread so that people could post reasonable posts about class system there. There are a bunch of retards that think a skill system would be better than a class system in this type of game.

Here's another gem of a thread.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...sound-weird-but-i-want-full-clothing-control/
"I like MMOs in which you can strip to your underwear, on account of then you can say "All these gloves look ugly, I don't wish to wear gloves" and youre character doesn't have a little pair of stuck to his hands at all times gloves."

Opening post is probably a troll, but I recognize a lot of the pro-romance crowd are agreeing with the guy and want to be able to play dress up with their characters.

Commander Xbox

Learned
is there anything more pathetic than being so desperate for human contact you need a ''romance'' in every game now

its not like these fags will get the awkward sex scene cinematic or even VO for it that theyre used to anyway, theyll just be reading shit on a screen imagining their waifu

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
To counter this nonsense, I think AoD should have a romance option, something that when pursued eventually leads to your character waking up outside the Imperial Guard's compound, stripped naked, and with a shiny new "Violated" trait in your character's stat screen.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Why don't they just make a genderless RPG? Couldn't that work? Could even implement a stereotypical male "race" and a stereotypical female "race" for lulz. Seriously, why doesn't anyone just remove the entire gender thing from a fantasy universe?
They should make an RPG where all characters are genderless robots. Then they could also use voice synthesis for the dialogue and have a fully voiced RPG without paying for a single actor.
Not sure if you're mocking me. :?
I'm not, it's just an offbeat proposal that was prompted by your post :)

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dude on the forums collated some Q&A from the Kickstarter comments: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60330-kickstarter-comment-questions-answered-by-obsidian/

-----------------------

Obsidian have been active on Kickstarter and answering a lot of questions. This is what I pulled from the last few hours.

Wes - @Feargus, what do you think about the possibility of Jeremy Soule coming on to write the musical score?
original.gif

Obsidian - @Wes Not really sure at this point. Personally, I was really happy with what our internal audio guy, Justin Bell, did in the video. Not saying that is the choice, but he is itching to give it a shot.

Ross - @Obsidian Entertainment (profile manager): Quick shout out to you! You don't have to answer this question now (and I would prefer a more official means because with this volume of regular comments I would never find your answer tomorrow morning
wink.png
), but would Avellone, Cain, and co. comment as to how much modding your engine might allow? I beta tested with the Sith Lords Restored Content Mod and I remembered how much of a joy it was to the community to insert custom content and tweak the game to their liking.

On another note, cheers! Mac OS X version and storyline expansion achieved!
original.gif

Obsidian - @Ross You got me tonight - Feargus. We are really not sure about the modding side of things yet. We will try to have more information out about that before the end of the campaign.

Dablue - @Obsidian: How will the playing map be.. like in BG1 where you could walk from one map to the next.. or like in BG2 where you had a map with intrest points?

Obsidian @Dablue We are thinking more like BG2, with the caveat that exploration is important so we are making sure the areas have plenty of open-ness about them.

Raedwulf - @Obsidian Entertainment
Could you give us some information on localization? Which languages will get support? There are would-be-backers who do not speak english at all.
Also there is some information lacking about designing an NPC or high level item. A list of detailed questions gets gathered in your forum:
http://forums.obsidi...h-level-widget/

Obsidian - @Raedwulf We will start having more coverage on our forums in the coming days. The reception has been pretty staggering and, to be honest, we were unprepared. Darren (co-founder) has been working practically night and day to move all of our hosting over to Amazon so we don't go down anymore. It seems like we are doing better today than we were doing a day or two in that area.

Angus - @ Feargus
any suggestions on what game to try if i want to get a feel for what PE will be like?

Obsidian - @Angus I think your best bet is BG2. Torment is an awesome choice as well, however we were never totally happy with how combat ended up being in Torment. However, it was never the largest focus.

Lukasz - @OE: Digital only tier:
First, placing it between $65 and $100 is a little steep - Wasteland had at $55 and i think it was ideal.
As for the addition to this tier in order of importance: Access to Beta, in game pictures/avatars, additional high res. art, additional copy of a game for friend (especially if the tier will be70+).
Additionally, but not sure if this should restrict to any tier: as someone mentioned, DF documentary is great, I'm not saying it has to be movie, maybe some other cheaper digital form, but documenting the creative process, letting us know how step by step the idea becames final product. And letting us know the teazm behind the project better.
And about the game content :I'd love as much as possible great art, I believe one or couple of great pictures are better than any cut-scene (I think game-engine generated cut-scenes nowe is the worst that could happen to games).

Obsidian - @Lukasz Absolutely on the price, we have gotten a lot of requests in messages about having a medium priced digital tier ($55-ish) and a higher one (~$80-ish). Actually we've gotten requests for ones over $100 as well. Trying to listen and figure out how to make them all make sense and be worth it.

Obsidian - @Dablue Special histories are what we did in the IWD games, in particular, where we wrote unique histories for the cool, more unique items that you can find in the game.

Onsidian - Fun article on TIME - http://techland.time...ise-10-million/

Wodwo - @OE
Has a decision been made about character avatars? Static portraits or customizable slider system? I really enjoy making a unique looking character and spend tons of time playing with sliders.
What about camera? Static or rotating? Zoom?

Obsidian - @Wodwo I don't want to speak out of turn on what we are doing with portraits just yet. As for the camera, it is going to be static. We are looking at zoom and a zoom that isn't just a blurring of the pixels.

Chad -@Feargus
What are your thoughts on romance? I know there are a lot of people against it - but I'm one of those people who finds that it humanizes the characters and adds more meaning to the adventure. I don't think romance should be front and centre, but it was great in BG2...

Obsidian - @Chad Sorry!!! Totally meant to respond and got sidetracked. Rob (Art Director) just sent me over some new header art for updates. So romances. We are talking about them and seeing how we want to handle them. That's not a great answer I know. I do think that if we get another writer on board that we are talking right now (maybe an announcement soon on that) we will be able to talk about them more.

Sam - @Obsidian - A lot of RPGs generally have problems with evil - you're often forced to be really blunt, thuggish and stupid. Will Eternity allow for a more intelligent and cunning evil, and let you plan ahead to do things that aren't obvious, but definitely on the darker side of morality?

Obsidian - @Sam Our goal would be more sublime with evil. I don't know if I've every actually used sublime and meant it before.
original.gif
Josh and Avellone are great writers and believe in portraying evil in an interesting way rather than the knocking grandma down and taking her money rather than helping across the street way. However, there can be a place for that here and there as well.

Obsidian - @Ronnie Keller - Totally get you and the "role" part of Role Playing is about getting to be someone you are not. So I think we will have your getting to play evil handled.

Angus - @Feargus as i have never played any of the games you guys have said you guys have made (i know they are great games though) is this game along the lines of a kinda skyrim feel??? or is there another direction you guys are trying to take

Obsidian - @Angus The games are pretty different. Skyrim is really a first person RPG that feels a little like GTA. The IE games are more about tactical combat and story. Now when it comes to lots of characters and deep RPG systems - they have more in common.

Adam - @Feargus,
I loved how BG was really an epic story stretched over two games and two expansions. I also loved being able to take my character from the goblin clubbing longbeard to the daemon destroying dwarven annihilator he was by the end of Throne of Bhaal.
Is that something you would consider replicating for Eternity? i.e multiple games

Obsidian - Adam We would love to make multiple games and we are pretty sure that the first PE game will be a success. So, what we will probably do is launch another Kickstarter after PE is finished to fund the sequel. Getting to move away from publishers is, well, it's hard to explain...
original.gif

Ronnie - @Feargus
Will it be possible to play a really evil character and to finish the game with him? Most of the times because of storytelling it is not possible to play the real bad guys. Will there be many different endings for the game?
And please finish the game in an epic BG2 like way. I love to read about the rest of the lives about my characters.

Obsdian - @Ronnie Keller - Absolutely on the endings, we love doing them that way. As for really evil - that's hard to answer. I don't know if we will go to cutting up children and storing them in your freezer level - but we will let you be pretty not nice person.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, and this:

@Steven We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter. I said to them "So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits" They said, "Yes".

kris

Arcane
Obsidian - @Chad Sorry!!! Totally meant to respond and got sidetracked. Rob (Art Director) just sent me over some new header art for updates. So romances. We are talking about them and seeing how we want to handle them. That's not a great answer I know. I do think that if we get another writer on board that we are talking right now (maybe an announcement soon on that) we will be able to talk about them more.

David Gaider confirmed for project eternity. :love:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oh, and this:

@Steven We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter. I said to them "So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits" They said, "Yes".
So Kotick was calling them:flamesaw:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol:

Kz3r0

Arcane

David Gaider confirmed for project eternity. :love:
:what:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Surely it can't be Gaider. I just can't see EA letting an employee work for a competitor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom