Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Of the Big Three, which is your favorite? (Fallout, PS:T, Arcanum)

Which one is the greatest (listed in chronological order of release)?

• Fallout

• Planescape: Torment

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Fallout, no contest. I enjoy Arcanum but overall it's very inconsistent which hurts the experience. PST I just don't enjoy at all.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Arcanum. Somehow the worldbuilding and many of the ideas, despite all of its flaws in execution, make it stand out above the others (for me)

Objectively, Fallout is a superior game of course; but Arcanum 'felt' more special to me.

Snufkin

Augur
That argument about Arcanum being bugged on release always weirds me out. I mean i know Drog patch did a lot, but i never encountered any bugs in PRE UAP times. :o

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have not played Arcanum but I like PST more than Fallout. Fallout is great, of course, but Torment's amazing story makes it the king of the troika. I remember well who blown away I was by the confrontation with Ravel when she asked me "What can change the nature of a man?", Fallout was great fun - especially melting everything with the plasma rifle - but Torment had more impact.

Mychkine

Educated
Torment has its fair share of faults, including its much weaker second half, plagued by bland and clunky and hard to skip combat. Fallout ought to be the better RPG, the tighter game, but Torment has better writing, to my opinion, than most fantasy novels, while offering multiple paths to completion (at least when in Sigil). I never managed to play Arcanum more than a few hours, the premises and systems look excellent, but the fighting is even worse than in Torment, and even harder to skip.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Torment has its fair share of faults, including its much weaker second half, plagued by bland and clunky and hard to skip combat. Fallout ought to be the better RPG, the tighter game, but Torment has better writing, to my opinion, than most fantasy novels, while offering multiple paths to completion (at least when in Sigil). I never managed to play Arcanum more than a few hours, the premises and systems look excellent, but the fighting is even worse than in Torment, and even harder to skip.

You're not wrong, by I wouldn't call PST combat "bland". At least with the mage class. It is very flashy, cinematic almost. Sometimes called jRPG combat - for a reason. Some spell effects are very cool (Mechanus' Cannon!).
Some other spells are pretty awesome/crazy (like Missile of Patience).

Last edited:

Snufkin

Augur

It's possible to finish Arcanum with 0 kills.

Mychkine

Educated

You're not wrong, by I wouldn't call PST combat "bland". At least with the mage class. It is very flashy, cinematic almost. Sometimes called jRPG combat - for a reason. Some spell effects are very cool (Mechanus' Cannon!).

More annoying and uninspired than bland, you are right. High level spell effects are flashy indeed.

I know that, but lots of quests are not doable without fighting, especially when doing side quests / exploring optional locations on the world map. If the systems had been better designed, I wouldn't have minded, but here, it always kills my mood.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Biggest issue with PST's with its combat is not that it is bad (it isn't) but there is no excuse for it not being even better since it shares the same exact combat as two other series that had pretty darn good combat despite technically not having as many bells and whistles as other games.

Arcanum's combat is alright but could be better. TB in it is way better as it's RT combat is just a huge cluster fuck. Enemies need more special abilities and needed more effective mage combatants. The biggest issue, though, is the absolutely retartet way it handles combat xp. I think only PE's way if dealing with combat XP is as bad but not quite.

I think FO's Master is overrated, but still solid main villain, but people pretending he is deep simply because you can talk him into suicide are idiots. People complain about allies literally shooting you in the back, but that AI part of the charm. Lol Thankfully FO's load times are not like modern games. Heh.

Character creation/development in PST is lacking compared to the other two even though C&C clearly exists. But the Vault Dweller and the Arc MC is yours while TNO - no matter your choices - doesn't really belong to you. He belongs to the writers and that holds it back as a RPG.

Last edited:

Snufkin

Augur

More annoying and uninspired than bland, you are right. High level spell effects are flashy indeed.

I know that, but lots of quests are not doable without fighting, especially when doing side quests / exploring optional locations on the world map. If the systems had been better designed, I wouldn't have minded, but here, it always kills my mood.

Arcanum have some really cool secret quests and places, its worth it to mow down the filler combat, which isnt hard anyway.

Harthwain

Magister
Planescape: Torment is my favourite and I have a great deal of respect for what Arcanum was aiming for, but ultimately I am going with Fallout. It always felt to me like this should be a gold standard for the genre. Not because it's a flawless gem, but because it is more than a sum of its parts.

Planescape: Torment had shitty combat and wasn't taking the full advantage of the roleplaying part of the gameplay (in terms of character building. Fallout and Arcanum win here hands down) and Arcanum had a lot of potential in many areas, but it was buried under so many technical issues that it was difficult to actually enjoy the game. Having a working product is a fundamental step that has to be accomplished before anything else. There are very few things I hate more than technical problems interrupting my playing time.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
[Arcanum's] biggest issue, though, is the absolutely retartet (sic) way it handles combat xp. I think only PE's way if dealing with combat XP is as bad but not quite.

Solved with Drog's patch. You simply uncheck xp on hit, now everyone in the party gets experience points per kill instead.

Yes, it was not that way upon release, but it's a non-issue today.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How can Crispy not have completed PS:T? That's a bit like saying you're a professional racing car driver but you've never completed a circuit of one of the best tracks in the world. I think you're in denial fella - PS:T is your best game and it's so good you don't want it to end.

jackofshadows

Magister
Arcanum has such impeccable balance, why not improve it even more by letting companions farm you xp on mobs while learning any non-combat stuff?

Codex Year of the Donut
Fallout, because one of the most important aspects in an RPG to me is actually using your character to interact with the game world.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's interesting that although Fallout clearly is the popular choice for favorite, it's the Arcanum fans who seem to be the most passionate about their choice.
Arcanum's the underdog. You gotta have some special love for it to rate it as best despite all the significant flaws that affect the gameplay.

Fallout's and PST's flaws can be ignored/minimized (such as PST's combat), or they're a lack in features/improvements we'd like to have, not flaws in the basics.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I don't really like PST, but Mechanus' Cannon is one of my favourite high level mage flexes. Opening up a transdimensional portal just to blast someone with an insanely huge extraplanar cannon? Sign me up!

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I mean if you can't figure out how to pay for Arcanum on GOG, then apply Drog's patch, then install a simple DX wrapper to get the high-res patch to work right, then... yeah, don't bother. This game isn't meant for your kind.
Arcanum is simply a broken game and any potential that might be gleaned from it by those who have the patience and know-how to get the game working is not enough to carry it to the top of this list
It's literally just installing the game and then installing a patch. Just running an .exe. If it's not working, there's something else that's going on in your computer that's screwing everything up and can affect other older games too. For example: Windows 11.
I did what you guys said and the game still didn't fucking work right. The game was still playable though, it was mostly visual bugs, but I found the gameplay to be mind numbingly bad. Joke all you want, it's a broken game and the combat is terrible. Way worse than PS:T's combat, which is actually not nearly as bad as people claim it is. It's serviceable enough to not be annoying so that you can enjoy everything else the game does great.

And I put it down, if all these FO stans had played Underrail before FO, the game wouldn't be nearly as highly rated. Underrail is the superior gaming experience in every way.

laclongquan

Arcane
Planescape Torment is still among top 3 for me, despite changing my life experience over the years. its writings and dialogs are presented in a way that stimulating imaginations and immersion. Maybe too storyfag for some of you though.

Fallout is nough said.

Arcanum. I looked at it over the years and my conclusion is that it being a game for niche players (best of steampunk/magicpunk genre). And they are a loudmouth and influential bunch which give it much more weight than it need to. Great? yes. But top 3 of all time? Nah.

FriendlyMerchant

I mean if you can't figure out how to pay for Arcanum on GOG, then apply Drog's patch, then install a simple DX wrapper to get the high-res patch to work right, then... yeah, don't bother. This game isn't meant for your kind.
Arcanum is simply a broken game and any potential that might be gleaned from it by those who have the patience and know-how to get the game working is not enough to carry it to the top of this list
It's literally just installing the game and then installing a patch. Just running an .exe. If it's not working, there's something else that's going on in your computer that's screwing everything up and can affect other older games too. For example: Windows 11.
I did what you guys said and the game still didn't fucking work right. The game was still playable though, it was mostly visual bugs, but I found the gameplay to be mind numbingly bad. Joke all you want, it's a broken game and the combat is terrible. Way worse than PS:T's combat, which is actually not nearly as bad as people claim it is. It's serviceable enough to not be annoying so that you can enjoy everything else the game does great.

And I put it down, if all these FO stans had played Underrail before FO, the game wouldn't be nearly as highly rated. Underrail is the superior gaming experience in every way.

Arcanum's combat is essentially just Fallouts combat but with magic and fewer targeted shots allocated to hotkeys instead of an in-game menu. You just have the option of a real time mode in case you want to spam harm instead of playing the turn-based mode. Underrail's combat is pretty much just Fallout's but with some extra options like a lot of traps and mindmagic but with no targeted shots and the option to craft outside of combat. If you like Underrail's combat, you should like Fallout's combat. Even their leveling systems are the same being the allocate points to skills and pick a feat ever few levels. Same thing with Arcanum in Turn-based mode. Arcanum only has a different leveling system as it's just allociate a point ever level and two ever 5 levels to build your character.

As for the visuals, it's probably a combination your computer, your operating system, and your gpu driver. I'd bet you have all sorts of effects enabled through your gpu driver software and you possibly haven't disabled all the crap that comes with your operating system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom