Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OpenMW: Porting Morrowind to an open source engine

Perkel

Arcane
Wasn't openMW still wip ? I mean it works but there are ton of not implemented things.

Perkel

Arcane
Wasn't openMW still wip ? I mean it works but there are ton of not implemented things.

Like what?

In each video they released they were still adding or fixing stuff that didn't work correctly. From bugged physics to animation to spell effects etc.
There is a reason why it is 0.47 not 1.0

It is fairly stable these days from what i heard but still you don't know if your playtrough will stop because of some bug.

None

Scholar

Like what?

In each video they released they were still adding or fixing stuff that didn't work correctly. From bugged physics to animation to spell effects etc.

It is fairly stable these days from what i heard but still you don't know if your playtrough will stop because of some bug.
Morrowind is playable from start to finish without issue in OpenMW, despite not being 1.0.

OpenMW, despite its name, isn't entirely about Morrowind. The thread title spells it out: "Porting Morrowind to an open source engine". The engine has always been the focus, as it is supposed to become some type of FOSS engine for anyone to create games with. So OpenMW not being 1.0 is a reflection of that goal, not of Morrowind itself being playable. This is why conflicts between it and MWSE-Lua occur, as they are inherently focused on two very different goals, despite seeming to be about the same thing.

Hagashager

Educated

Like what?

OpenMW, as a package for Morrowind, is 100% complete. It's less buggy than vanilla. Every feature of vanilla is also present. Most of the bugs you keep hearing about nowadays are related to their additional features.

I've ranted about this before, the OpenMW team has a bizarre stubbornness when it comes to their project. They absolutely refuse to adopt a development nomenclature that reflects the true state of the game and they *really* hung up on what exactly is being done in Morrowind. It's hurting their word-of-mouth.

TL:DR you'll be fine on OpenMW, guarantee it'll be more stable than Vanilla.

notpl

Arbiter
Would it be possible to completely mod Morrowind's combat in this to not be complete garbage? Like making it play like an actual action RPG?
Yes, but that comes after they "de-hardcode" OpenMW in the not-too-distant-future. After that is when things get really interesting. New UX, new combat, new character controls, even new games in the style of The Elder Scrolls III.
For the record, all of this stuff has been possible for years with the (still much more advanced than openMW) Morrowind Script Extender, which has integrated these pipe-dream LUA features for years. Nothing ever came of it and nobody's ever made some great combat/UX overhaul, there's no reason to believe it'll happen when openMW finally catches up with MWSE in five years or whatever.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I played Morrowind for the first time last year and chose OpenMW over modding the original. Glad I did, very smooth experience without any crashes or bugs. I used very little mods for the more vanilla experience, but one can easily play with 200+ mods. OpenMW mod guides are pretty solid.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
... that comes after they "de-hardcode" OpenMW in the not-too-distant-future. After that is when things get really interesting. New UX, new combat, new character controls, even new games in the style of The Elder Scrolls III.
For the record, all of this stuff has been possible for years with the (still much more advanced than openMW) Morrowind Script Extender, which has integrated these pipe-dream LUA features for years. Nothing ever came of it and nobody's ever made some great combat/UX overhaul, there's no reason to believe it'll happen when openMW finally catches up with MWSE in five years or whatever.

Pretty much this.

OpenMW will never catch up.

soulburner

Cipher
Interesting observation: OpenMW on a low end hardware, like an old Intel CPU integrated graphics on an Ivy bridge or even something as "fresh" as Skylake generation, performs very poorly on Windows. But try and launch it on Linux - 25-35 fps becomes 50-60+. Are Intel OpenGL drivers so badly optimized on Windows and so well on Linux? Or is OpenMW not drawing some things on the latter that's not immediately obvious?

PS: tested on a laptop with an i5-3230 and a desktop with a i5-6500, similar results.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Interesting observation: OpenMW on a low end hardware, like an old Intel CPU integrated graphics on an Ivy bridge or even something as "fresh" as Skylake generation, performs very poorly on Windows.

That is because OpenMW has higher system reqs than vanilla.

JBro

Arbiter
OpenMW is the only reason we have things like multiplayer.

notpl

Arbiter
... that comes after they "de-hardcode" OpenMW in the not-too-distant-future. After that is when things get really interesting. New UX, new combat, new character controls, even new games in the style of The Elder Scrolls III.

Pretty much this.

OpenMW will never catch up.
It's not really a question of technology, it's design. What could you possibly do to Morrowind to make the core gameplay and combat better? Adding manual blocks and dodges would just make it even easier, and the player could still give themselves +10,000 to all of the relevant numbers and one-shot anything. Expanding the verb list the player can use to interact with the world sounds nice, until you remember that none of the environments were designed with it in mind, so is someone then going to go through and redesign all of the game's dungeons to incorporate new actions/puzzles? Add enemy patrol behavior and revamp the stealth system so that it can actually be exploited - again, to what end? So the player can one-shot the enemy with a sneak attack instead of a frontal one?

It's just an unsolveable problem. Morrowind is a story/exploration game that you're really only supposed to interact with in a limited point-and-click adventure game capacity. You just walk around looking at stuff and reading about it. That's the game.

soulburner

Cipher
Interesting observation: OpenMW on a low end hardware, like an old Intel CPU integrated graphics on an Ivy bridge or even something as "fresh" as Skylake generation, performs very poorly on Windows.

That is because OpenMW has higher system reqs than vanilla.
Yes, I know. I was talking about OpenMW being faster than OpenMW depending on the operating system.

Yosharian

Arcane
Performance and stability is a real issue in the original Morrowind engine. I tried playing some dude's modlist and it crashed every 5 minutes and ran at around 30-40 FPS. Author was like 'yeah it crashes a bit'. And everyone reacted like I was weird for wanting to run at 60+ FPS. Like 'this is Morrowind what do you expect'. Bitch, I ain't playing it at 30 FPS, are you retarded. I'd rather have vanilla graphics and run at 60+ than have texture packs and other shit pasted onto everything in the game world and play it at sub-40 FPS.

It's the same shit with Skyrim modlists, it fucking frustrates me no end when modlist authors are like 'yeah it will run at 40 FPS in cities' no that's not fucking good enough. Tone down the fucking 4k texture packs already. Less is more.

So yeah, OpenMW is interesting to me. I'd rather wait til it's finished and all though, even if Morrowind itself runs ok in it. Is that new AI voice mod compatible with it?

thesecret1

Arcane
Some mods are incompatible with OpenMW so it cannot do everything, but for the vast majority of them, it works smoothly. That said, playing Morrowind normally with mwse and bugfix mods should net you an equivalent experience, so it's more of a matter of preference

soulburner

Cipher
Performance and stability is a real issue in the original Morrowind engine. I tried playing some dude's modlist and it crashed every 5 minutes and ran at around 30-40 FPS. Author was like 'yeah it crashes a bit'. And everyone reacted like I was weird for wanting to run at 60+ FPS. Like 'this is Morrowind what do you expect'. Bitch, I ain't playing it at 30 FPS, are you retarded. I'd rather have vanilla graphics and run at 60+ than have texture packs and other shit pasted onto everything in the game world and play it at sub-40 FPS.

It's the same shit with Skyrim modlists, it fucking frustrates me no end when modlist authors are like 'yeah it will run at 40 FPS in cities' no that's not fucking good enough. Tone down the fucking 4k texture packs already. Less is more.

So yeah, OpenMW is interesting to me. I'd rather wait til it's finished and all though, even if Morrowind itself runs ok in it. Is that new AI voice mod compatible with it?
I do not understand how people can say "45 fps" or some other low number is okay for X type of game. No. Low framerates (<60 fps) are not okay for any type of game. Okay, it's fine in things like Baldur's Gate but a no go in a 3D game. I require smooth animations, smooth movement and low input latency, which you cannot have at 30 fps. And yes, the "HUMAN EYE CANNOT SEE PAST 30 FPS, IT'S SCIENCE" people still exist and still post their bullshit.

ps - it angers me a bit, because Divinity 2 (not Original Sin, the... original Divinity 2) runs best at locked 30 fps. Higher framerates have an extreme form of stutter that is not caused by frame pacing issues. The game is broken beyond repair.

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver

Morrowind looks better with its smudged textures, at 60 fps, than with all the upscaled texture packs, the grass, the shaders... The textures aren't even the problem, its the fucked up uv's on the meshes, which the optimization mod goes around fixing. Yeah, good job making that giant texture, but without like an hour fucking around in nifskope, it'll still look shit on shit mesh. OpenMW is finished, it just doesn't make good use of lua. I don't know why, not a coder. Personally, there's a list of 8-15 scripts, and I can play without most of them, if I'm just a melee dude, but if I want to use stealth or magic I need everything on that list. So I'm stuck with mgexe, but I'll play openmw on deck.

oblivionenjoyer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Morrowind looks better with its smudged textures, at 60 fps, than with all the upscaled texture packs, the grass, the shaders... The textures aren't even the problem, its the fucked up uv's on the meshes, which the optimization mod goes around fixing. Yeah, good job making that giant texture, but without like an hour fucking around in nifskope, it'll still look shit on shit mesh. OpenMW is finished, it just doesn't make good use of lua. I don't know why, not a coder. Personally, there's a list of 8-15 scripts, and I can play without most of them, if I'm just a melee dude, but if I want to use stealth or magic I need everything on that list. So I'm stuck with mgexe, but I'll play openmw on deck.
The worst example of this IMO is with NPCs. There are a million mods to give them high-res textures, but that just makes them look uncanny since you get realistic faces painted onto the same fucked up skeletons. Just looks creepy.

Ryzer

Arcane
Is there a mod that gives Radiant AI to Morrowind? This is what that game desperately needs more than everything else. There is always that feeling that nothing you do in Morrowind truly matters because everyone is dumb as a rock and can't react to you and everything is pretty much static to its position (x,y).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Main branch can now load Skyrim assets.

mate this was possible in vanilla for years

i manually ported textures and objects from skyrim like 10 years ago

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom