Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

Yeah, amazingly enough and as sad as it sounds, it's refreshing that a $40 game contains all content up front today. Isn't CoD a full-price game? How much do you have to grind to get on equal footing with people who have unlocked all perks and shit?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I have to say that something refreshing about the game is that everything's available from the start - all heroes, all maps.
How is that 'refreshing?' A game you have to pay $40 for contains all content? Everything is available from the start because you have to PAY $40. Typically only F2P games require grinding oh, and PS, they aren't going to give you heroes they add later -- that's what the microtransactions are for~

I thought Blizzard said that all future maps and heroes will be free?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
What's with the complaining about genjis anyway? The bane of 6-stangers team is when the defending team stacks bastions with a mercy or reinhardt to keep the dakka flowing. Even the few times my idiot team isn't trickling in, the bastions cut you down in seconds in turret form. And with their selfheal augmented by a mercy or reinhardt, poking them down is out of the question.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
What's with the complaining about genjis anyway?

People haven't realized yet that Genji can deflect bullets back at them. They just spray all their bullets at Genji without any brian activity and then cry foul when they get rekt by their own ammo. Niggas need to switch to a hero that uses explosives or beams to kill Genji.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's pretty hilarious to see a Bastion kill itself shooting a Genji. They're always played by the low-IQ people who want to sit in a corner and hold down LMB

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I have to say that something refreshing about the game is that everything's available from the start - all heroes, all maps.
How is that 'refreshing?' A game you have to pay $40 for contains all content? Everything is available from the start because you have to PAY $40. Typically only F2P games require grinding oh, and PS, they aren't going to give you heroes they add later -- that's what the microtransactions are for~

I thought Blizzard said that all future maps and heroes will be free?
If they did, that had to have been fairly recent (last month).

Jackalope

Arcane
Played the open beta for the last 3 days... It's fun enough and I might get it eventually. It needs more maps. I hope they add an option to choose what mode you want to play, but it's beta, so who knows.

I like how you have to think what hero you play and how you must always come with a counterattack for the current situation on the battlefield. Somethimes a hero is great, sometimes you need to rethink everything on the fly and pick some other guy.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Gotta love the random D.Va mech to the face. highlights need to be set about 1-2 sec further along the timeline though. They always seem to cut off just before the last kill.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
That's not true at all, most MP shooters have unlocks these days. Kids love the feeling of achievement you get from unlocking new stuff you have grinded for. The difference is that with Buy2Play shooters you can usually unlock everything you need in a few days of intensive play.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So anyone else that is not a bitter cunt and thinks this game is pretty sweet? I really don't feel like this plays like TF2 at all, only at first glance.

I do wish they added some customization, in the form of every characters having 2 ultimates to chose from.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Gotta love the random D.Va mech to the face. highlights need to be set about 1-2 sec further along the timeline though. They always seem to cut off just before the last kill.

Fuck,I haven't though of doing that combo with D.Va's ultimate,gotta try it for the lulz

The bane of 6-stangers team is when the defending team stacks bastions with a mercy or reinhardt to keep the dakka flowing..

That's a really bitch combination:negative:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
That's not true at all, most MP shooters have unlocks these days. Kids love the feeling of achievement you get from unlocking new stuff you have grinded for. The difference is that with Buy2Play shooters you can usually unlock everything you need in a few days of intensive play.

In Overwatches defense, the only unlocks so far are skin color variations and emotes. There's no way (or reason) to purchase anything with money outside the preorder skin things, and Blizz said all new maps and heroes are free of charge 6 months ago.

So anyone else that is not a bitter cunt and thinks this game is pretty sweet? I really don't feel like this plays like TF2 at all, only at first glance.

I rather like it so far. I've yet to try playing with a full premade team - or any team using voicecomms for that matter. So it's always a pleasant surprise when my team doesnt trickle in one at a time. We did have a hilarious game yesterday. Defense on Numbani(sp?) as 4 Symmetras and a Thorbjorn. 100% teleporter uptime. Turrets everywhere. The other team was really upset. :P

I do wish they added some customization, in the form of every characters having 2 ultimates to chose from.

I think it'd be better to just have a few more heroes and switch characters depending on map and teams. The charactrers have pretty focussed kits right now, and swapping their ult may not work so well with the rest of their abilities. Plus, like in MOBAs, a big part of how you play is knowing what the people you're with/against can do. It'd suck wasting your Zarya Ult only to find out D.Va and Tracer didn't bring their bombs to follow up.

Fuck,I haven't though of doing that combo with D.Va's ultimate,gotta try it for the lulz

It takes a bit of practice not to overshoot, since you can't cancel the boost after you jump out. It's paticularly good when attacking on temple of Anubis. Defense matrix down the middle at capture point B, boost+ult once you pass the crates before the bridge. Your mech will blow up in the middle of the point, and you can jump into cover behind the crates while you call in a fresh mech. If you boost down the bridge immediately, you can usually get 2/3rds cap done before the enemy team respawns.

I need to try out Zarya/Winston at some point. Seems like noone wants to pick tank, and Reinhardt is boring 80% of the time when you're bunkered down.

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

It takes a bit of practice not to overshoot, since you can't cancel the boost after you jump out. It's paticularly good when attacking on temple of Anubis. Defense matrix down the middle at capture point B, boost+ult once you pass the crates before the bridge. Your mech will blow up in the middle of the point, and you can jump into cover behind the crates while you call in a fresh mech. If you boost down the bridge immediately, you can usually get 2/3rds cap done before the enemy team respawns.

I need to try out Zarya/Winston at some point. Seems like noone wants to pick tank, and Reinhardt is boring 80% of the time when you're bunkered down.

My main tank so far has been Roadhog,I like his 'get over here' ability,but I think I will start using D.Va for a few games and see how it goes,she has better tits than Roadhog after all

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
D.Va is a bit different from Roadhog/Reinhardt/Zarya etc in that she usually doesn't stay with the payload. Instead, you need to abuse her mobility to flank. You can take out most people 1 on 1 if you get in their face. Boost+defense matrix are good for dislodging the troublesome widowmakers, hanzos and bastions. Even if they grapple away before they die, a giant pink robot flying at them makes them leave their perch so your team can move ahead.

Last edited:

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have recently started using Winston, on payload maps as defence it's loads of fun, people are all scared of a giant ape jumping in.

As long as there is no Reinhardt around you can kill quite a few dudes and disperse the rest.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Looks 14 or 15 tops. It's like one of those things where the japanese 13 year olds suddenly become 17 when the show is translated for Gaijin.

But yeah. If you've played Roadhog, D.Va should be straightforward. Just remember your mech guns have a huge dropoff after about 5m and you're almost immobile while shooting. It's often necessary to stop shooting and boost towards a backpedalling opponent to finish them off.

Outside your mech, it's important to spam blaster shots to poke. Your self destruct ultimate doesn't gain charge while you're on foot, so you need to get yoru mech online again asap.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom