Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

Puukko

Arcane
Lucio is fun, that is all. Keeping everyone healed while dishing out decent damage and pushing people off cliffs is nice. I had a 12 kill streak once.

Mei should be slightly nerfed. Reduce the magazine(?) size on her gun and reduce her health by 25. Buff Zenyatta's health by 50, or at least 25.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Mei is fine, you have to be really close to be useful anyway.

Zenyatta's health is fine too, he already has super high DPS, his health is mostly shields so it regenerates.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The only chamption that really annoys me right now is a well-played reinhardt - maps don't offer enough flanking oppertinities to get behind his shield - and bastions. The damage-output from bastion is so high that even if you know where he is, you won't be able to go in shooting and out-trade him in a tank. The easy fix would be to give his minigun in turret form ramp up in damage from ~25% to 100% over .5-.8 sec or so. That'll let people who know his location get th ebetter of him.

I also noticed that he's immune to D.va knockback in turret form. Haven't tried out Winston, Reinhardt or junkrat yet. I know roadhog-hook removes turret form. normally when I boost into people with D.Vas mech, they get knocked back. I've used it to knock snipers to their deaths before. I assumed it would work on bastion too, but he remains in turret form while you pass straight through him. If all the knockback-abilities knocked bastion out of Turret, he'd be fine too. Or give the tanks a chance to deal damage to him without lowering their shields. A Reinhardt point-blank on a bastion who tries to give him a wallop with his hammer will be dead by the time the bastion is at 50% health.

Gerrard

Arcane
Reaper wrecks Reinhardt, Symmetra's balls and Winston's zap gun ignore shields, Bastion melts his shield in seconds as well.

3aSHrsc.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Symmetras regular beam doesn't go through Reinhards shield. I just tried.

:negative:

Zetor

Arcane
Symmetras regular beam doesn't go through Reinhards shield. I just tried.

:negative:
You need to use the charged blast (RMB). Needs a few hits to kill him, but it's very possible if he's slowly advancing down a corridor or something. That said, my favorite character for screwing with him is Junkrat: drop a mine at his feet and toss him in the air with some grenades waiting for him on landing, have him eat a trap and flank him, or just straight-up toss grenades over his shield (works best on the Nepal map where the capture point has a roof).

Astral Rag

Arcane
Q: What's the most difficult part about being an Overwatch fan?

A:
Telling your parents you're gay.

:troll:

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Overwatch is known to cause gaiety to people. Blizzard produced a good game, lots of people playing and not just because it is temporarily free. I'm sure most of them will buy the game.
Let us hope they will add more stuff to this, at it's current state the game seems so bare.
For example add a description before each map. What are the objectives, like they did in Heroes of the Storm. Most of the times when I play a map for the first time I don't know which character to pick.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
The only chamption that really annoys me right now is a well-played reinhardt - maps don't offer enough flanking oppertinities to get behind his shield - and bastions. The damage-output from bastion is so high that even if you know where he is, you won't be able to go in shooting and out-trade him in a tank. The easy fix would be to give his minigun in turret form ramp up in damage from ~25% to 100% over .5-.8 sec or so. That'll let people who know his location get th ebetter of him.

I also noticed that he's immune to D.va knockback in turret form. Haven't tried out Winston, Reinhardt or junkrat yet. I know roadhog-hook removes turret form. normally when I boost into people with D.Vas mech, they get knocked back. I've used it to knock snipers to their deaths before. I assumed it would work on bastion too, but he remains in turret form while you pass straight through him. If all the knockback-abilities knocked bastion out of Turret, he'd be fine too. Or give the tanks a chance to deal damage to him without lowering their shields. A Reinhardt point-blank on a bastion who tries to give him a wallop with his hammer will be dead by the time the bastion is at 50% health.

I have to agree with you especially on Bastion,his turret form is basically this game's easy mode,just find a good spot sit there and annihilate pretty much everyone,Reinhardts are annoying too but I haven't run into that many so far,probably because it might be a bit boring playing as them,also too many Widows running around

Last edited:
Overwatch is known to cause gaiety to people. Blizzard produced a good game, lots of people playing and not just because it is temporarily free. I'm sure most of them will buy the game.
Let us hope they will add more stuff to this, at it's current state the game seems so bare.
For example add a description before each map. What are the objectives, like they did in Heroes of the Storm. Most of the times when I play a map for the first time I don't know which character to pick.
Do you really need a description when the only 2 modes in the game are attack/defend control points and payload? There's even a line on the ground and a marker to lead you to the map objective.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Yes but sometimes you have to guide a payload, sometimes you have to stand on a square. Team builder advices you on the team composition but most of the times the meta compositions are superior to the recommended ones. For example Bastions and Reinhardts.

I think allowing duplicate picks is a huge design flaw with the game and wouldn't be surprised if it's removed at least for the "competitive" mode.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
"No duplicates" and "Max 2 of the same position" are both options in custom game. i'm thinkign both might make it into ranked.

DDZ

Patron
I also think that the way it's beeb balanced, a good opponent will know how to counter the duplicate picks.

Jackalope

Arcane
Bastion really needs a nerf, that thing is pretty insane. It kills everything in seconds and also has a heal... It would be nice if at least it didn't turn that quick. I end up behind the damn thing and still am chopped liver before I can kill it.

Bastion really needs a nerf, that thing is pretty insane. It kills everything in seconds and also has a heal... It would be nice if at least it didn't turn that quick. I end up behind the damn thing and still am chopped liver before I can kill it.
The usual reply to this is that there are counterpicks like Hanzo or another flanking character, but the reality is that in a solo play situation, even if you do pick a counter, chances are the rest of your team are going to run like lemmings into it; another compounding factor is that Bastion combos very well with Mercy and Reinhardt and he also has a self-heal for when the Medic is down. I do think that Bastion is too rewarding for low-risk play and at low skill levels where things are very chaotic and uncoordinated it becomes a problem.

In a game like Dota where gameplay is fundamentally balanced for higher tier, competitive play, "problem" heroes for low skill tiers (things like Riki, Bloodseeker, etc.) are mostly left alone or even buffed repeatedly. However, there is no competitive level for Overwatch and especially right now, a vast majority of the player base is just really bad. Blizzard's balancing philosophy is just to nerf things into the ground so I have no doubts that Bastion will be nerfed eventually.

At higher levels I think the real unbalanced hero is Tracer at the moment.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Well I played it some more because a) Friends and b) I will probably never play it again.

Here's the more "serious" hero breakdown since I mostly played against other 6 stacks...so good games but they won't apply to most solo queue pub stuff.

Need reworks: Bastion/Torbjörn/Symmetra

Bastion and Torbjorn are very pub stompy but any coordinated efforts rolls all over them. Even if they do the whole Rein and healer corner combo, attacking together and bursting them down works almost 100% of the time. Also they are just plain boring and reward degenerate static gameplay.

Symmetra is the worst designed hero in the game. She is literally a teleporter bot that marginally helps the team in combat and kills unaware players that don't clear the turrets. But more than that, playing her well means that you do nothing. Is everyone shielded? Are your turrets up? GG, throw balls in the general direction of the enemy. The only reason you want her is the teleport that can win games on some maps but being just a teleport dispenser is terribly boring.

UP heroes: Zenyatta/D.Va/Reaper/Zarya/Pharah

Zenyatta is too weak and immobile. His heal is weaker than Soldier 76's or very close to and not even aoe. His damage orb requires a team and while good, it doesn't have enough impact.

D.Va does too little damage, has insane spread and her head is basically the torso of other characters. The Ulti is fun but gimmicky and thus inconsistent. Coordination can easily ignore it.

Reaper has a flashy ult but his shotgun spread is too big and thus he has a hard time being a proper flanker.

Zarya, if people know not to attack her shield then she is just under performing at all times. Gets hilarious damage if you do attack it.

Pharah, rockets and flying are too slow, you can get easily dodged and easily sniped.

No change needed heroes: Hanzo/Roadhog/Soldier 76/Mei/Mercy/Genji/

All of these are more or less alright.

OP heroes:/Mcree/Widowmaker/Reinhardt/Winston/Lucio/Junkrat

Mcree has the fan the hammer stun combo which can kill tanks, that is not okay. Very good duelist but that is what he is supposed to be due to low map mobility.

Widowmaker body shots just do too much damage, or people have too low health. Charge up is a wee bit too quick. Her ult means you cannot push. Needs another Widow to counter which is just lame.

Reinhardt has too much damage for a tank. Real danger for anybody besides other tanks. That shield needs a small reduction. Its up for a bit too long.

Winston has the best initiation in game and with coordination you can sneak in your entire team on the point under the safety of the shield. Dunno what to change, he is superb with coordination but maybe a bit too much.

Junkrat...grenade spam is terribly unfun to play against, especially when you see from the kill cam that he wasn't even aiming at you. The rest of his kit is okay.

Lucio is the type of stealthy OP character that you need to play a while to realize just how broken he is. His aoe heal essentially negates all pokes, his mobility means that killing him is a huge hassle and with good aim you can even fight a flanker off. His powers just aren't flashy which makes new players ignore his overtuned abilities.

X.X: Tracer

Tracer is the highest skill character that can demolish your team if played properly. Proper aiming and position means that you can kill someone, except tanks, in one salvo and then zip away. Very easy to mess up but she can become too good, far more than any other character. Either they tone her down or bring everyone up but she needs to be re-balanced.

Last edited:

DDZ

Patron
I disagree with Hazno being a No Change Needed hero.

His ultimate yell is the most annoying thing in the game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Would be nice if the game actually did have a deathmatch mode, so when you get a team of mongoloids that can't understand the concept of standing near glowing shit, you might still win a match once in a while.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I disagree with Mercy being fine. She's jank compared to Lucio. Even most of the high level players agree that Lucio outperforms Mercy in every way. She needs a redesign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom