Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Owlcat's next game is an AAA title that will need full voice acting to compete with BG3

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is pure incline, full voiceover will force them to contain verbal diarrhea to minimum.

Change my mind.
Not really when they will use AI to do it.

0wca

Learned

Owlcat founder breaks down RPG budgets and Larian’s impact on genre: “We can’t invest $200 million to make BG3”​

https://gameworldobserver.com/2024/03/18/rpg-budgets-owlcat-cannot-invest-200-million-to-make-bg3

“We made all our games with partial voiceover, because 1) it’s expensive and 2) it makes the development process extremely difficult. Especially when you have one million words,” Shpilchevskiy said. “Looking at BG3, you understand: it is becoming a must-have feature, which doesn’t guarantee you success, but if you don’t meet that bar, your game is considered one that no longer fits into the right category. So it looks like we will have to do a full voiceover for our next games.”
Based, BG3 is the new standard for CRPG's. Owlcuck and the rest need to follow or won't get good sales
Mods: is it possible to change his 'Shitposter' tag to read just 'Shit'?

Rhobar121

Scholar
Personally, I wouldn't be too keen on using AI for voice acting in the near future.
Considering that legislation is always several years behind technology, it may turn out that in a few years there will be a ban from governments. If this happens, the EU will probably be the first.

Currently, AI-generated content is also very frowned upon. While a larger publisher may not give a damn, in the case of smaller ones, negative PR is quite dangerous.

Harthwain

Magister
Currently, AI-generated content is also very frowned upon. While a larger publisher may not give a damn, in the case of smaller ones, negative PR is quite dangerous.
Frowned upon by whom? What negative PR? I have to admit I didn't see any of that.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Frowned upon by whom? What negative PR? I have to admit I didn't see any of that.

Frowned upon by devs. I think a lot of people underestimate how demoralizing and insulting it is for artists to see their work potentially getting replaced by computers. Many devs are good friends with voice actors and will not take kindly the idea of their friends being forced out of jobs.

"Bah bah bah fuck the devs and their feelings", well the big boys can feel that way but for the smaller studios losing talent can be a death sentence.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The biggest reason not to use AI voice acting is that it still sucks. It's not good enough yet. You can still tell it is AI. AI voice acting still mispronounces words, puts emphasis on incorrect syllables, etc. AI voice acting is still primarily the wheelhouse of shitty Chinese advertising and recycled podcast clips that are posted as clickbait. It sucks, and it sounds like shit.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I always have put the voice volume to zero in all Owlcat games I have played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom