Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Palworld - basically pro slavery Pokemon game - now available on Early Access

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
WMq5czU.jpeg
The furries are really fucking creepy when you meet them in game. They move really predatory and it's unsettling. I don't get how any one would want to fuck them.

Is there a way to speed up crafting time? It adds nothing to the game to hold X for 30 seconds per sphere when I could skip the busy work and go out hunting now.
You get your pals to craft for you.
Still takes forever.

Just had another crash. Emo cat crashed my ore mining base. What a faggot.

orcinator

Liturgist
Palworld feels like some grand cosmic evil that's finally arrived to consume a lame decadent community that's been floundering for decades, a decaying atrophied harbinger of its inexorable coming.

Though I've always been a glass half full person.
Soon all that's going to be left of Pokemon will be the autists who need esoteric grinding techniques in their rock paper scissors simulators.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I can't believe people are praising this absolute slop, just because other developers are mad at it.
It's a decent game. I have a lot of complaints but for early access it has quite a bit of content and collecting Pals is interesting if only to see what they can provide in combat, for quality of life, or as a worker.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Here's an article focused on the development of Palworld in the words of Pocketpair's CEO, "the existence of Palworld is a miracle, more specifically 6 miracles" - their development journey is crazy, they did "everything wrong" according to industry standards and game and software development processes, and that's what's so inspiring: https://note.com/pocketpair/n/n54f674cccc40

Main points I took from the article:

-It's the studio's sixth game.

-Just as their game Craftopia is in Unity, Palworld was also being developed in Unity. The opportunity arose to hire a tech lead with 10 years' experience, but this tech lead only knows UE and demanded UE. The game was then migrated from scratch to Unreal Engine just to please and hire this tech lead.

-The migration led to losing almost all the assets (except the 3D meshes) and losing ALL the programmed systems, they started from scratch and everyone had to re-learn everything (note: I know Unity, UE, Godot and others, but I already have 30+ years of experience with dozens of languages, including C#, C++, etc, so when I switch engines I only need to re-learn the engine-specific ones, and even then it's a pain in the ass and EVERYTHING TAKES A LONG TIME to migrate. Now, think about their case, they had to learn UE and C++ from scratch, ALL OF THEM).

-The whole of Craftopia was created using only assets of all kinds bought from the Unity Asset Store (models, animations, textures). Palworld was the first game where they created assets - until halfway through the game's development they didn't know what a "rig" (3D model skeleton) was and had never animated anything.

-The first Pal took 1 month to model, which would have taken 100 months to create the 100 Pals/creatures, and that could have been the end of the game, it would have taken too long. Finally, they hired an artist.

-They hired a 20-year-old guy who worked in a market (organizing shelves?), and as a hobbyist made videos of FPS gun movements, and this contributed to Palworld having good gun animations.

-They turned down a very young artist and a year later she insisted again and was hired. Thanks to her, they managed to create 100 Pals concepts in record time.

-The CEO was responsible for optimizing the game's C++ code himself a few days before launch.

-The studio has only ONE network person, who is responsible for the entire online part of the game, and for the 1M+ concurrent players. He's 24 years old. (I'm also proud of this because I'm also responsible for billions of pieces of data and a gigantic backend, and I'm the only one on the team in this regard - the company actually has 2 devs, me on the backend and another on the frontend) - small, lean teams are much more effective and efficient than large teams.

-The game was made without a set budget and without finances under control, the motto was "develop to release or go broke" - they used all the funds from the 600,000 copies of Craftopia sold. And in the worst case, they would "borrow money from the bank".

I haven't picked up Palworld yet, but I really liked Craftopia. I had already recognized almost all of Craftopia's assets, as I've been using Unity since 2010 and know the Asset Store well, and yet it's amazing how they've created something very original by bringing together a bunch of different systems.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

One thing I would note here is that Craftopia was also an "early access" game that is still in "early access" to this day. According to this they pretty much abandoned that game not too long after it was released with no further serious work done on it. Instead all the money they earned from that game was funneled into this new game.

I don't know if that means the same thing is going to happen with this game. With the success of Palword it would be pretty stupid of them not to try to expand on that, after all.

But it doesn't reflect positively on them as a company and shows that it is best to understand this is not really an "early access" game at all. This is the release version of the game, and they shouldn't really get any kind of pass on any aspect of it due to it being "early access".

I don't plan on playing this game as survival crafting isn't a genre I am that interested in, but developers doing shady stuff involving "early access" has always been a bit of a pet peeve of mine that I consider to be a negative that shows they are fundamentally dishonest about the expectations they are communicating to players. So I think it is worth pointing out.

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
One thing I would note here is that Craftopia was also an "early access" game that is still in "early access" to this day. According to this they pretty much abandoned that game not too long after it was released with no further serious work done on it. Instead all the money they earned from that game was funneled into this new game.
It's obvious Pal world is Craftopia 2 electric boogaloo but it's too late to do shit about it now. This much money has to keep work going on it.

I figured out why the numbers are so high. Once your base is automated you can go AFK and let it farm for you. So if you're smart and don't care about the bill you can leave Palworld open 24/7 and get infinite resources.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Craftopia had an update patch released 2 days ago, though.

The company itself admits they took most of the money from Craftopia to use for Palworld in interviews.

They left a skeleton crew with minimal resources for an asset flip game just so they can avoid the accusation that they abandoned it. That would be fine for post release support for a game. That is usually what post release support for a game is.

But they released it as an "early access" game, where the expectation and implied promise is that the game will still be in full development.

And that is my point here. These games are not "early access". They are released games that the company treats like released games. They seem to be calling them "early access" to both deceive players with the implied promise of continued full time development and so that the fact that they are "early access" can be used as a defense for the janky, buggy, and unpolished parts of the game.

When a small company releases an "early access" game (especially one that is a Unity store asset flip game) but quickly starts work on another game and releases that other game while the first game is still in "early acces", you know what is going on.

Edit: People are rating this "citation needed" for some reason, but it is right in the post I was originally quoting/responding about some interview/blog post from the developers.

-The game was made without a set budget and without finances under control, the motto was "develop to release or go broke" - they used all the funds from the 600,000 copies of Craftopia sold. And in the worst case, they would "borrow money from the bank".

Which wouldn't be a problem if Craftopia was a normally released game. That is how you would need to finance a game if you want to publish it yourself or at least have a very favorable arrangement with a publisher. But the catch here is that Craftopia was an "Early Access" game. And it still is. And so is Palworld.

Last edited:

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And that is why one should never buy EA(both early access and electronic arts) games.

The thing is, I don't oppose the idea of EA itself. I actually quite like it, and it has helped some games I really enjoyed, like Mount and Blade and Kenshi, come into being.

I think that it is really helpful for 2 situations.

1.) Small and financially insecure developers who can't fully fund a game before it is released.
2.) Developers who want to have extensive user input during development.

And I don't even begrudge situations where an Early Access game winds up failing and not working out so the developer has to move on rather than continuing to spend resources trying to get it to work. The developer needs to be open and honest about that though, rather than just silently abandoning it or claiming it is "released" even though it has clearly not met the stated goals and promises of the developer.

But it shouldn't be used as an excuse to release an unfinished game that the developers don't in good faith intend to complete. If the developers don't intend to complete a game, they shouldn't lie about that. If the developers just want to make money off an incomplete game so they can use that money to start working on a new game, they shouldn't lie about that.

If the developers are even just very unsure about their ability to bring it to completion, such as if they only intend to finish the game if it sells really well in early access, they shouldn't make the EA promise. Maybe if they were super clear up front about how they were using EA as part of market research to see if they even have a viable game idea that might be okay. But even then I think it is a bit of a problem using the EA label, because some people buying the game will only ever see it in the store as an EA game and won't know that is the developer's intention.

But due to the high failure rate of EA games, whether due to dishonest intentions or honest failures, I would agree it is best to just ignore the EA label and evaluate all games as they currently are when choosing whether to buy them. Not unless you do enough research about the game to feel comfortable making that gamble.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Which wouldn't be a problem if Craftopia was a normally released game. That is how you would need to finance a game if you want to publish it yourself or at least have a very favorable arrangement with a publisher. But the catch here is that Craftopia was an "Early Access" game. And it still is. And so is Palworld.
I completely agree with where you're coming from but it's standard early access bullshit to not get a game finished. Either you buy a game as-is and expect it to stay about there or you don't buy early access IMO. Pal world is a fully fleshed out game so even if they never add another thing to it I think it's a fine purchase. Early access in this game is most polish and content like most modern games.
And that is why one should never buy EA(both early access and electronic arts) games.
Agreed.
Digimon with Guns.
0047499_600.webp

lightbane

Arcane
A Digimon game where the Tamer can use guns (or hacking techniques that resemble gun attacks) wouldn't be a bad idea.
Also, you're thinking small. Digimon is (or used to be) about OVERKILL!
52l997mpuAM5NnVrX9FvA8GYBOQtW-jHBDjpInfdG7Y.png
34f242af8a510322b0d6c8856caa44bd.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom