Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Palworld - basically pro slavery Pokemon game - now available on Early Access

Machocruz

Arcane
Survival crafting genre is ideal for the number of obsessive addicts in this hobby. Takes at least 5x the time to make progress of a normal game, with about 5x less the satisfaction in the end.

Black

Arcane

fantasy.jpg

Caim

Arcane
Survival, crafting, open world, EA. This is all you need to make a game sells on steam. If all you want is to make money from games, that is exactly the kind of game you should be doing.
It's that cursed runes thing Mandalore talked about.

Two minutes in he mentions it:

Crafting
Survival
Early Access
Open World

lightbane

Arcane
Supposedly, you CAN capture and enslave humans, but the game heavily penalizes you for that, so it's not recommended. This ain't Conan Exiles.

Artyoan

Prophet
Not a surprise that open world crafting is a huge seller. It maximizes for environmental interaction. Which strokes off the imagination for a while, and that is what people want.

That is also the same reason that other types of games take off. Elder Scrolls had it with having enormous amounts of items that can be picked up in looting. DOS2 had it, which then translated to BG3. Same with Breath of the Wild.

Huge world with tons of things to interact with. It doesn't matter that much of it is meaningless clutter or just busy work. It satisfies the initial mystique. Doesn't have to be crafting. Just needs to have massive quantities of content with at least some elements tying the whole mess together.

Mauman

Scholar
I honestly don't care how derivative a game is as long as it's made well and is fun.

And so far this game seems to be made with extreme care. Hopefully time only makes it better.

Machocruz

Arcane
Underlings to gather from resource nodes is an incline on the usual busywork. Even the thralls in Conan don't do that, which about 60% of the tedium comes from.

i've had this in wishlist for years, since i heard "pokemon, but with guns and slavery" i was sold already. but now i see "always online" and "windows 10". oh well...

Mauman

Scholar
i've had this in wishlist for years, since i heard "pokemon, but with guns and slavery" i was sold already. but now i see "always online" and "windows 10". oh well...
Well, I just tried it offline and it works. Only single player worlds though (of course). I don't know what will happen in the future however.

As for windows 10? I don't know what to say besides technology marches on? At least games aren't requiring windows 11 yet :roll:

Artyoan

Prophet
The fact conan exiles has only 50k peak players while this slop has 1.8m peak players (as of now) is truly all the confirmation you needed that we live in DECLINE.
It is odd how much I enjoyed that game versus how little I hear from anyone about it. Over 200 hours solo before I got bored. The building system was excellent. Wasn't all that happy with the thrall system. I haven't played it since they did an overhaul though. Been a couple years.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
AAA devs should be used to getting thrashed by absolute nobodies by now.

Imagine working on something like Redfall/Forspoken and thinking you're in some class of artist.

:deathclaw:

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Survival, crafting, open world, EA. This is all you need to make a game sells on steam. If all you want is to make money from games, that is exactly the kind of game you should be doing.
don't forget battle royale lootbox rng items.

Also what about capturing the waifu boss girls?

Mauman

Scholar
Supposedly, you CAN capture and enslave humans, but the game heavily penalizes you for that, so it's not recommended. This ain't Conan Exiles.
There are some advantages.

Evidently kidnapping merchants (ironically including the black market merchants) is HIGHLY lucrative and convenient as they still act as merchants (now in your base, permanently) and evidently they also refresh stock after every summon.

Orion

Cipher
Not a surprise that open world crafting is a huge seller. It maximizes for environmental interaction. Which strokes off the imagination for a while, and that is what people want.

That is also the same reason that other types of games take off. Elder Scrolls had it with having enormous amounts of items that can be picked up in looting. DOS2 had it, which then translated to BG3. Same with Breath of the Wild.

Huge world with tons of things to interact with. It doesn't matter that much of it is meaningless clutter or just busy work. It satisfies the initial mystique. Doesn't have to be crafting. Just needs to have massive quantities of content with at least some elements tying the whole mess together.
That and it lets you play in it instead of interrupting you all the time with tutorial popups, pointless dialogue, railroaded gameplay, etc.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
The fact conan exiles has only 50k peak players while this slop has 1.8m peak players (as of now) is truly all the confirmation you needed that we live in DECLINE.
It is odd how much I enjoyed that game versus how little I hear from anyone about it. Over 200 hours solo before I got bored. The building system was excellent. Wasn't all that happy with the thrall system. I haven't played it since they did an overhaul though. Been a couple years.
I played it in 2023 for quite a bit. Was enjoyable for a survival game. Love the world map.

Mauman

Scholar
That was fast
NexusMods pussies pussying out again
GEhywsLWoAE1BRl

I could see Nintendo or The Pokemon Company going after the Palworld devs in court.

Some of the creature designs do look like straight-up clones of their Pokemon cousins.

Then Nintendo would be opening themselves up to legal action from others as well. Square Enix in particular could carve them a new asshole by your standards. Pokemon has been ripping off other designs for mons ever since they started the franchise.

So no, it's not going to happen as it would have happened already. Plus it's a stupid idea to begin with.

edit - also, some of the "side by side" videos have already been proven to be frauds.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I could see Nintendo or The Pokemon Company going after the Palworld devs in court.

Some of the creature designs do look like straight-up clones of their Pokemon cousins.
There is a percentage that the courts require, in the US, that a new art piece must meet in order to qualify as plagiarized. I believe that it's above 90% is the requirement. Since there are more artists etc... engaging in creation you will quickly find that there are many pieces that are similar, but are not plagiarizing another piece of art. Thus, it's entirely possible to create something unique that has the feeling of the original without it being plagiarism. Most of the comparison art thrown around as examples of plagiarism is so dissimilar that you actually highlight how much of a fucking idiot you and the rest are when it comes to this.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
If this game shows anything, it is the massive disconnect between Twitter and people who actually buy/play games.

No big surprise for anyone familiar with the data by the way:

View attachment 45921
How many wishlists turn into sales though? I have 80 games wish listed waiting for massive sales or I plan to pirate later. I buy maybe 5 games a year off the wish list if you include being gifted them on birthday/christmas.
I ran into pal activists earlier. Fuckers wanted to free my goddamn palkemons. It's weird how everyone calls it 'slavery' when I feel quite attached to my Pals and I treat them well. They feel like friends not slaves. Except the dumb furry fuck who will get stuck up a tree and nearly starve to death. He can go fuck himself..

Earlier I wanted to cross a large body of water I couldn't swim. So I jumped on my lapras furret and off we went across the ocean. It was exactly what I'd dream of since I first played Pokemon. It wasn't using a HM to walk on water, it was an organic idea of "I can use my mon to go explore" and I did. I cannot tell you how big that is to a monster catching autist. It is literally the dream game for pokemon fans.
I play it offline on the steam deck. FPS isn't great on it but it's playable. Online is for coop play which seems like it might be a shit show.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom