Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know about you buy i just found juicy magic dagger with 3 sockets in color i need, +30% to phys damaga AND 30 to mana. I am happy.

You'll own nothing (but magic daggers) and be happy, or else.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Is it worth playing for single player? Are there micro transactions or that sort of garbage?
I'm in act9 currently and haven't paid a dime yet, so you can play it entirely for free with no need to offload money

abija

Prophet
Pretend you want to slow down the game, release complete garbage changes with numbers pulled out of your ass.
Blame the players and get back to zoom++ expansions embracing the powercreep. Chris is free to discuss what his vision could have been without having to actually implement it.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Its disingenuous to act like its no longer possible to "make lots of currency" this league - its definitely still possible, but the places where you can make currency no longer include heavily invested maps. Heist and Deep Delving for example are both still rewarding, because the loot they provide was not from killing monsters but from opening specific chests. Personally since day 2 of the league I have been pulling ~700c/h running the new memories. The real problem is there is nothing to really sink currency into. Why bother building a strong character if the hardest content in the game isn't worth running. There is no reason to run high investment content anymore. The part of the game which GGG put the most effort into developing - maps, with all of that systems related components (scarabs, the atlas, etc) is no longer worth participating in and all of the sections of the game which are worth participating in are so underdeveloped in comparison that its just not fun to involve yourself in them.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Pretend you want to slow down the game, release complete garbage changes with numbers pulled out of your ass.
Blame the players and get back to zoom++ expansions embracing the powercreep. Chris is free to discuss what his vision could have been without having to actually implement it.

Well there is no road where GGG vision and zoomers vision can coexist.

Zoomers want loot and no challange with least amount of work possible. Add to that trading and you have not only zoomers who want no challange but also people who make real money so for them no challange means more money.

GGG wants for their game to be the ultimate arpg with best loot, best rewards, best combat and so on.

Sooner or later those two entirely different things will have to clash. Either POE2 will be watered down POE1 or it will be proper sequel with ton of people raging because GGG removed their lollipop.

I don't think GGG has balls to do it. They always claim they don't care about ROI but everytime there is slight change in player retention or some streamer quitting they instantly like a lapdog force patches "fixing" their "mistakes"

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
all that endgame content sounds like pointless grind
All of PoE is a pointless grind. There is still story content, new bosses and so on to find, it just becomes very very sparse compared to acts. Just another reason why you want to zoom zoom.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
all that endgame content sounds like pointless grind
All of PoE is a pointless grind.

Sure but you have the plot keeping you entertained

There is still story content, new bosses and so on to find, it just becomes very very sparse compared to acts. Just another reason why you want to zoom zoom.

Interesting, still, I doubt I dip into it once I beat the game. Too much random maps

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Interesting, still, I doubt I dip into it once I beat the game. Too much random maps
Understandable. Fwiw, I also think the current endgame story is the weakest they've had (it progresses every year essentially) since I started.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Understandable. Fwiw, I also think the current endgame story is the weakest they've had (it progresses every year essentially) since I started.

At this point the story either splits into one of two directions every expansion:

1. Your previous characters became demigods and are now bad.
2. Some new god like entity has taken issue with you and wants to fight you for the lulz.

Sometimes 1 & 2 occur at the same time for added unpredictability.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Sometimes 1 & 2 occur at the same time for added unpredictability.
Don't forget 3. A character you thought was "good" and was helping turns out to be a bad guy.

It's really funny how PoE starts with you being a relatively low powered shipwreck survivor, and then somewhere around act 4/5 you turn into a someone capable of killing multiple gods in the span of an afternoon.

Still, I liked Elder vs Shaper with exile and Zana in the middle.

abija

Prophet
Well there is no road where GGG vision and zoomers vision can coexist.

Zoomers want loot and no challange with least amount of work possible. Add to that trading and you have not only zoomers who want no challange but also people who make real money so for them no challange means more money.

GGG wants for their game to be the ultimate arpg with best loot, best rewards, best combat and so on.

Sooner or later those two entirely different things will have to clash. Either POE2 will be watered down POE1 or it will be proper sequel with ton of people raging because GGG removed their lollipop.

I don't think GGG has balls to do it. They always claim they don't care about ROI but everytime there is slight change in player retention or some streamer quitting they instantly like a lapdog force patches "fixing" their "mistakes"
Hook, line and sinker. You fully ate their crap.

They want to make the ultimate arpg like a fatso in a donut shop wants to get fit: in theory. Meanwhile they deliver shitty content sprinkled with absurd and spiteful changes.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Community is on fucking fire after that GGG post. Children throwing a tantrum. It's disgusting.

Archnemesis is going to be a non-issue in a couple of weeks, once people have strong characters again. Some builds like the Poison BFBB Occultist don't even care about Archnem mobs already, because the explosions from Profane Bloom take care of the rare surrounded by normal mobs. The only scenario I can see where it still bothers people is when they are constantly re-rolling into mediocre builds which neither have the mechanics nor the gear to deal with tanky 4-modders. I get that it's jarring that you have to fight some of these for multiple minutes, while the map boss dies in 3 seconds. But at the same time I think it adds a layer of RNG to the encounters while mapping, which is ultimately healthy long term. Besides, some of the mods do actually drop stuff. I think it's not a very elegant solution, but I'm sure GGG will continue iterating upon the system.

Lake of Kalandra rewards are sucky. Even Heist and Ritual have "well rolled" rares. They should have had that system for rewards in Lake as well. Furthermore the mechanic itself is not that engaging as I first thought it would be. It has nothing on Synthesis, where you would actually build your own adventure path and min-max the tits out of it. It has this system, where you see the initial Tablet and you know how to make it into a snake almost immediately, but you have to then wait for the game to give you the necessary swaps. I hate that type of problem solving. All it does is de-value all the other choices until you get the piece you need. This is minor, but the other gripe I have with it, is the constant annoying stragglers around the Tablet. I always thought that Sulphite in maps should be guarded by monsters and since Maven's arrival you can spec into a node on the Atlas Passive Tree to generate monsters around the Sulphite. IMO that is how every mechanic should be in maps. You're going to have to kill monsters around it anyway, so they might as well be thematically fitting.

Harvest is just gone. I get the dismay many people have over it. It was a giant crutch for gearing though. And it was suffocating all the other systems. And it made 5-6 mod rares very attainable, which is a big no-no for GGG. The nerf was inevitable. The only thing GGG should have done is gave us some other form of crafting (like Recombinators) at the same time. Ah well, I blocked it on my Atlas and I don't feel any pain over it anymore. Once I can clear 80%+ quant T16 maps comfortably, I'll spec into it again just so I can do Divination Card gambas and that's about it. It's dead, Jim.

Even though it doesn't feel good for me either to lose power, in the long term I think this is healthy. I doubt there are going to be more substantial nerfs on this scale until PoE2. Part of me wants GGG to just spite the whiny portion of the community into leaving the game. Redditors are truly insane. Many streamers are also voicing their dismay, but they do so much more level headed and less "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS".

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Well when a max juiced 6 man party gets fuck all but crumbs, you know something is wrong.

If a juiced group isn't getting anything, what hope does the average player have.
First off, fuck the group cucks. Even though they are technically not doing anything wrong, it's still disgusting to witness. They are abusing a resource most players simply will never have: friends. It is one thing when Ben wins the Ubers race. Others can look up to him and dream of one day becoming as good as him through practice and knowledge. Or simply admire him and adopt some of his technique to better themselves. None of this is applicable to Empy and his group. I'm glad they left. They shouldn't play a game they don't enjoy. Being a captive audience member is what produces the insanity on reddit. Also I don't think they were doing PoE any favours through that type of exposure.

Second, I didn't notice the nerfed drops except for the Uniques, until I heard about his post. Loot in single player is fine. Group cucks have been meming about player quant being busted for ages. Now the meme is over and they are sad. Big whoop.

Third, you can't implement Smart Loot if the players are accustomed to 20 million rare items dropping per map. I think this is what GGG is aiming for and group cucks were just the collateral this patch, not the target.
TIL that you can boost quality on unidentified armours and weapons to get more chaos...
Are you actually clicking 20 times on each rare just to get 1 extra chaos from the recipe?

I hadn't even thought about the double slam on build variety this league.

Not only are a ton of builds nerfed to the ground, it's super hard to start any build that required a moderately expensive unique.

A herald spider build now requires about 1500c chaos investment to get started (Assuming fang + aegis). Previous leagues you could get that started for 2-3 ex depending on how popular Aegis was that league.
But build variety is up, not down. Spoders is one of those builds that can get away using mostly uniques except jewelry and was naturally going to be a popular choice this league. It was never an easy starter because it required these uniques and Aegis was 8ex last league already.

Empyrian quit. I've never much cared for the guy, but he's one of the biggest whales so it'll be funny to see the GGG damage control.
The community hated Empy and cheered when he got banned in Ultimatum. And he was nowhere close to the biggest whale. I don't think he ever did big Mystery Box gambas beyond the 36 most streamers get as a promo gift from GGG. If there is going to be any damage control, it going to be because of 30% revenue loss like in 3.15. Which may or may not happen. I feel like this time the community is making a big fuss, but they are still going to play and to pay. The disloyal people left a while ago when Lost Ark launched. Ironically, the Lost Ark players like Raiz and Nugi are the few who are not criticizing GGG for the nerfs.
GGG often goes into radio silence when they are in full panic mode.
Did you forget about the 3 podcast appearances Chris did during 3.15? They are more silent this time, because engaging with a tantrum throwing child is pointless. If anything, these nerfs to Archnemesis rares feel like a calculated, careful token gesture and less of a panic "break glass" button.
I also think the current endgame story is the weakest they've had
You think the Sirus saga was better than Maven?

Our resident GGG shill is on a rating frenzy I see.
I'm catching up on the thread. I was busy playing the game.

I'm slowly breaking into T14+. It was pain as squishy Elementalist at first. I resorted to Golems to tie me over. Turns out 500hp/s regen, 20% pdr and minions that take aggro are good for survival. But golems are in a weak spot, so once I had some better gear I ended up re-speccing into standard Bing Chilling node and Convergence. It's fairly good at bossing, but it's still uncomfortably squishy and I wouldn't recommend the build unless you absolutely must play Lightning Conduit. Lightning Conduit itself is fresh and I'm glad I chose it for my starter, but it's not very comfy and I'm already looking forward to rolling something like Maw of Mischief for bossing and a CF Glad for mapping.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
You think the Sirus saga was better than Maven?
Maven feels a bit too much of a retread of elder imo. I think the elderslayers are at least a bit interesting in that they are former exiles who went mad from too much exposure to the atlas. And you know, there's 5 of them, each with their own theme and so on, whereas maven is just one thing.

I also liked the implication that it was Zana who fucked up and made the elderslayers go crazy.

abija

Prophet
I get that it's jarring that you have to fight some of these for multiple minutes, while the map boss dies in 3 seconds. But at the same time I think it adds a layer of RNG to the encounters while mapping, which is ultimately healthy long term.
)))))))))))))))))))))

ArchAngel

Arcane
I finally gave up trying to use Galvanic Field, if there is a way to make it good I don't know how. It is decent in clearing maps but vs anything stronger (like many Archnemesis enemies) it takes forever to kill anything. In the end you spam your shock skill to finish of stuff.
So now I went to meta skill Lighting Conduit since mechanics are super similar and I didn't need to switch any passives but only change that skill and skill I apply shock with (before with Arc or Shock Nova, now with Orb of Storm). This is much better now. There are still enemies that have such high lightning or shock resistance it takes a long time to kill them but it is still 10x faster than what would Galvanic Field do. It is incredible they managed to make two similar skills but make them so different in power lol
I am now basically following Goratha's Trickster Lightning Conduit build but with a bit of my own modifications, at least until I can get some awesome gear (LOL). He went for more ES, I went to get suppression to 100% without gear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom