Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Man I wish Rend was implemented, I really like the bear form aesthetically. I would totally use a bear companion as well with Thundering Claw. :(

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Man I wish Rend was implemented, I really like the bear form aesthetically. I would totally use a bear companion as well with Thundering Claw. :(
Rend IS implemented.

It's not implemented in the correct way, but that's not that big of a problem (it just triggers more often than it should).

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Rend IS implemented.

It's not implemented in the correct way, but that's not that big of a problem (it just triggers more often than it should).
You're right, I missed it in combat log. Both claw attacks have to hit for it to trigger. Power attack doesn't add damage to it, neither does Thundering Claw. I think I'll stick to smilodon after all.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Rend IS implemented.

You're right, I missed it in combat log. Both claw attacks have to hit for it to trigger. Power attack doesn't add damage to it, neither does Thundering Claw. I think I'll stick to smilodon after all.
Rend triggers if both claws hit (and that's coherent with Pathfinder), however it works even if each claw hits a different enemy (and that shouldn't happen).

One benefit of Rend is that it adds 1.5x the Strength bonus and it also should ignore DR (so the bear could do a tiny bit more damage than the Smilodon against enemies with high DR). But, yeah, the Smilodon is obviously the superior choice, that's painfully true.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I'm over anything that just does a ton of damage (including Unfair setting on mobs outside of testing). More fun if fights last a round or two. With modded you can give your pets combat maneuvers which is a much better experience.

Yosharian

Arcane
Rend IS implemented.

Can you describe exactly what it does, as I'd like to add the info to my steam page

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Rend IS implemented.

Can you describe exactly what it does, as I'd like to add the info to my steam page
When you do your full attack, if both claws hit (even if they hit different targets), you deal damage equal to your claw damage dice + 1.5 times your Strength modifier to the target hit by your second claw.

However, I can't tell you how Rend interacts with every other feature in the game, because I never tested it in a full playthrough.

Yosharian

Arcane
Rend IS implemented.

When you do your full attack, if both claws hit (even if they hit different targets), you deal damage equal to your claw damage dice + 1.5 times your Strength modifier to the target hit by your second claw.

However, I can't tell you how Rend interacts with every other feature in the game, because I never tested it in a full playthrough.
So this essentially means Bears have 4 APR as long as they don't miss their attacks?

Desiderius

Patron
Would it be better to go 16 Slayer/ 4 Rogue compared to straight Slayer?

Couple Problems:

Improved Quarry is Free Action so super smooth.

It's ok for DEX-based but Slayer should be STR-based or ranged.

Rogue 4 are great levels for DEX-based melee specifically. Are you trying to get Double-Debilitation? Your Debilitating will overwrite any real Rogues you have in party (like Nok-nok) instead of stacking.

Desiderius

Patron
That's true actually, Improved Quarry is quite nice. Debatable whether it's worth 19 levels of Slayer, though.

It's full BAB. Every level is good. I think we talked about this a few months ago and the result was I respecced my MC from Slayer 18 to Eldritch Scoundrel 18. Just depends on what you're trying to do (I was ranged).

But you can go STR-based and use Combat Style to get all the TWF feats by the time you get your third iterative at level 11 and just go off. I guess you can get Evasion and Uncanny with those last four levels if you need them, but if you're melee why not just go Vanguard and get Dodge way earlier?

PETEX

Literate
I have made two TWF melee builds. May I have feedback on these? I have trouble choosing which one of these to pursue for the duration of full playthrough. Haven't played a full BAB/armored character yet.

Half-Orc
Vanguard Slayer 20

STR: 19
DEX: 14
CON: 12
INT: 10
WIS: 10
CHA: 14

L01 Slayer 1: Weapon Focus: Orc Double Axe
L02 Slayer 2: Vanguard Teamwork Feat: Outflank
L03 Slayer 3: Dazzling Display
L04 Slayer 4:
L05 Slayer 5: Shatter Defenses
L06 Slayer 6: Combat Style: Two-Weapon Fighting
L07 Slayer 7: Improved Critical: Orc Double Axe
L08 Slayer 8: Combat Style: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
L09 Slayer 9: Blind Fight
L10 Slayer 10: Combat Style: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
L11 Slayer 11: Power Attack
L12 Slayer 12: Opportunist
L13 Slayer 13: Combat Reflexes
L14 Slayer 14: Hare Familiar
L15 Slayer 15: Double Slice
L16 Slayer 16: Crippling Strike
L17 Slayer 17: Improved Initiative
L18 Slayer 18: Dispelling Attack
L19 Slayer 19: Seize the Moment
L20 Slayer 20: Vanguard Tactician - Extra Use

Human
Fighter 20

DEX: 15
INT: 8

L01 Fighter 1: Exotic: Falcata, Weapon Focus: Falcata, Two-Weapon Fighting
L02 Fighter 2: Combat Reflexes
L03 Fighter 3: Dazzling Display
L04 Fighter 4: Outflank
L05 Fighter 5: Weapon Specialization: Falcata, Weapon Training (Heavy Blades)
L06 Fighter 6: Shatter Defenses
L07 Fighter 7: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
L08 Fighter 8: Improved Initiative
L09 Fighter 9: Improved Critical (Falcata), Effortless Dual-Wielding, Weapon Training (Heavy Blades)
L10 Fighter 10: Power Attack
L11 Fighter 11: Blind Fight
L12 Fighter 12: Greater Weapon Specialization: Falcata
L13 Fighter 13: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Armed Bravery, Weapon Training (Heavy Blades)
L14 Fighter 14: Greater Weapon Focus: Falcata
L15 Fighter 15: Double Slice
L16 Fighter 16: Critical Focus
L17 Fighter 17: Staggering Critical, Trained Initiative, Weapon Training (Heavy Blades)
L18 Fighter 18: Sickening Critical
L19 Fighter 19: Critical Mastery
L20 Fighter 20: Seize the Moment, Weapon Mastery (Falcata)

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hm... I like the tempo on both builds. Might even have slightly overdone yourself on the 1st: Shatter Defenses has a requirement of 6 BAB.

They are a bit.. one-note for my taste, though.
But pretty good at what they do, I guess. Slayer might be better offensively - due to Studied Target, sneak attacks and Quarry.
Fighter would have better AC due to Armor Training and probably even better saves with some Advanced Training options.

Dispelling Strike is a bit dubious to me. I think it can dispel your own CC and its not like many enemies have buffs worth dispelling.
Seize the Moment could be taken a little earlier - though it depends on the party, of course.

I do prefer falcatas.... but there aren't that many of them. And they top out at +3.... less of an issue for a magus or paladin, but can be a disadvantage here.
Are there even any notable orc axes outside of Faterender?

Desiderius

Patron
I have made two TWF melee builds. May I have feedback on these? I have trouble choosing which one of these to pursue for the duration of full playthrough. Haven't played a full BAB/armored character yet.

Half-Orc
Vanguard Slayer 20

DEX: 14
INT: 10

L01 Slayer 1: Weapon Focus: Orc Double Axe
L02 Slayer 2: Vanguard Teamwork Feat: Outflank
L03 Slayer 3: Dazzling Display
L04 Slayer 4:
L05 Slayer 5: Shatter Defenses
L06 Slayer 6: Combat Style: Two-Weapon Fighting
L07 Slayer 7: Improved Critical: Orc Double Axe
L08 Slayer 8: Combat Style: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
L09 Slayer 9: Blind Fight
L10 Slayer 10: Combat Style: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
L11 Slayer 11: Power Attack
L12 Slayer 12: Opportunist
L13 Slayer 13: Combat Reflexes
L14 Slayer 14: Hare Familiar
L15 Slayer 15: Double Slice
L16 Slayer 16: Crippling Strike
L17 Slayer 17: Improved Initiative
L18 Slayer 18: Dispelling Attack
L19 Slayer 19: Seize the Moment
L20 Slayer 20: Vanguard Tactician - Extra Use

Human
Fighter 20

DEX: 15
INT: 8

L01 Fighter 1: Exotic: Falcata, Weapon Focus: Falcata, Two-Weapon Fighting
L02 Fighter 2: Combat Reflexes
L03 Fighter 3: Dazzling Display
L04 Fighter 4: Outflank
L05 Fighter 5: Weapon Specialization: Falcata, Weapon Training (Heavy Blades)
L06 Fighter 6: Shatter Defenses
L07 Fighter 7: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
L08 Fighter 8: Improved Initiative
L09 Fighter 9: Improved Critical (Falcata), Effortless Dual-Wielding, Weapon Training (Heavy Blades)
L10 Fighter 10: Power Attack
L11 Fighter 11: Blind Fight
L12 Fighter 12: Greater Weapon Specialization: Falcata
L13 Fighter 13: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Armed Bravery, Weapon Training (Heavy Blades)
L14 Fighter 14: Greater Weapon Focus: Falcata
L15 Fighter 15: Double Slice
L16 Fighter 16: Critical Focus
L17 Fighter 17: Staggering Critical, Trained Initiative, Weapon Training (Heavy Blades)
L18 Fighter 18: Sickening Critical
L19 Fighter 19: Critical Mastery
L20 Fighter 20: Seize the Moment, Weapon Mastery (Falcata)

Vanguard's Bond duration goes off of INT and you want skills on MC so I'd get INT up to 14.

Looks like fun. Dispelling attack looks good on paper but also Dispels debuffs and can't be used with Crippling Strike. I'd think a little bit about which teamwork feat you want for Vanguard since you want all melee to have Outflank themselves. Seize makes a good one since you only need it for bosses so can save two feats on other toons.

Same issue with Shake it Off (adjacency is 5 meters, so it's really good). On Fighter I think you mean Weapon Training, Specialization is unnecessary. I wouldn't worry about Staggering/Sickening Crits as stuff dies when you crit already and there's a save.

Desiderius

Patron
Hm... I like the tempo on both builds. Might even have slightly overdone yourself on the 1st: Shatter Defenses has a requirement of 6 BAB.

They are a bit.. one-note for my taste, though.
But pretty good at what they do, I guess. Slayer might be better offensively - due to Studied Target, sneak attacks and Quarry.
Fighter would have better AC due to Armor Training and probably even better saves with some Advanced Training options.

Dispelling Strike is a bit dubious to me. I think it can dispel your own CC and its not like many enemies have buffs worth dispelling.
Seize the Moment could be taken a little earlier - though it depends on the party, of course.

I do prefer falcatas.... but there aren't that many of them. And they top out at +3.... less of an issue for a magus or paladin, but can be a disadvantage here.
Are there even any notable orc axes outside of Faterender?

Nothing stopping you from using Redeemer in offhand on Fighter build. Can use best available one-handers until Faterender shows up on Slayer.

Desiderius

Patron
Don't need 19 STR to start. STR is easiest stat to boost. Use your beginning buy to boost everything cheap.

Only casters need to get main stat high since its harder to boost and they need to beat saves.

Desiderius

Patron
Vanguard's Bond gives whole team stacking +1/+1 as soon as you get it*. Infinite use, but duration is based on INT bonus so don't dump INT. If you take Trapfinding (I'd recommend it) you can be a reasonable skillmonkey.

* - unfortunately with the way rounding works it doesn't hit +2/+2 until lvl 15 but that's still pretty good for infinite use.

Desiderius

Patron
Ouflank req 4 bab, Shatter 6, imp. Crit 8...

If he takes Reflexes early to get Seize for the shared Teamwork feat then things line up. If he wants to start with 14 DEX (might as well with Medium Armor) then he can use Combat Style Menacing for PA/Shatter/Dreadful and use best available two-hander until Faterender shows up then get TWF feats late using equipment to boost DEX. Harrim, for instance, can't do that (to use his Urgrosh) since his DEX is so low.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom