Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Resist Energy, Mass is a third level Divine spell that lasts 1 min per level. The single target one lasts ten. It's cast once and forget.

If you're not using long-lasting buffs at the beginning of the map you've got a long game ahead of you. Bring a Cleric, you have two.

If you have Detect Invisibility (preferably Mass) up you can detect the Wisps before they see you.

Wisp spotting.jpg

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I don't think I'm resisting. I have not used the "Protect from energy" spell. My mind really doesn't go there.

I'm not stupid. I know I have all these spells and scrolls who helps my against evil, chaos, against illnesses, againt energy but, when it comes to use them, my mind just goes "HAMMER DOWN THAT SON OF A BITCH BAREHANDS".

I really don't know why. And I can assure that I also understand maths, rules, combos.
It's just that my mind thinks "We can use these scrolls and spells later". And then I never use them.

I have 41 cure light wounds potions, 10 medium, 10 serious. Rarely used. A lot of scrolls: never used, if not out of combat to heal. A lot of wands: rarely used. Normally the magic missile ones (because it's like hammering, for me).

I'm psyco, maybe
You're just immature. Eventually your tastes will become more refined and you'll start actually being good at these games as you grow up.

Litmanen

Educated
I don't think I'm resisting. I have not used the "Protect from energy" spell. My mind really doesn't go there.

I'm not stupid. I know I have all these spells and scrolls who helps my against evil, chaos, against illnesses, againt energy but, when it comes to use them, my mind just goes "HAMMER DOWN THAT SON OF A BITCH BAREHANDS".

I really don't know why. And I can assure that I also understand maths, rules, combos.
It's just that my mind thinks "We can use these scrolls and spells later". And then I never use them.

I have 41 cure light wounds potions, 10 medium, 10 serious. Rarely used. A lot of scrolls: never used, if not out of combat to heal. A lot of wands: rarely used. Normally the magic missile ones (because it's like hammering, for me).

I'm psyco, maybe
You're just immature. Eventually your tastes will become more refined and you'll start actually being good at these games as you grow up.
Thank you for the analysis. 50 euro?

I don't think being good a these games is any life achievement. But maybe it is still me being immature.
If I am, nice. If I'm not, you'll not believe it, I'm ok anyway. But I try to finish the game notwithstanding my inability...

Litmanen

Educated
Here we are.

Level 8, still without my spells because of the alignment and I have just cleared the troll lair. Now I feel a little bit empty, to be honest.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You're taking 21 damage after resisting 20?

I'm psyco, maybe

Eh, you're not alone in the hoarding quirk, but you just have to accept that you're always going to be sub-optimal if you don't use all your potions etc., or if you don't pre-buff. (There are a couple of mods for PFK that make it less of a chore.)

Desiderius

Patron

I'm psyco, maybe

Eh, you're not alone in the hoarding quirk, but you just have to accept that you're always going to be sub-optimal if you don't use all your potions etc., or if you don't pre-buff. (There are a couple of mods for PFK that make it less of a chore.)
There’s sub-optimal and then there’s kind of missing the point of loading the game. Owlcat likes to give you a boss that seems tough as a gate that you have to adjust your strategy to beat based on what kind of foes will need to be beaten routinely coming up.

If you’re trying to raw dog the game with no resists you’re going to be complaining about “OMG this game is a slog too many encounters!” coming up instead of feeling like you have things well in hand.

Litmanen If you're suffering a hoarder mentality, I can sympathize. This game helped me break that habit, FWIW. Use potions and scrolls quite freely. They remain abundant all game and they will even out the experience tremendously.

The underlying challenges of the game are about attrition and balancing resources--time included. It's important to gave a long term strategy on how to conquer the map, rather than drift through the plot.

Litmanen

Educated

I'm psyco, maybe

There’s sub-optimal and then there’s kind of missing the point of loading the game. Owlcat likes to give you a boss that seems tough as a gate that you have to adjust your strategy to beat based on what kind of foes will need to be beaten routinely coming up.

If you’re trying to raw dog the game with no resists you’re going to be complaining about “OMG this game is a slog too many encounters!” coming up instead of feeling like you have things well in hand.
As I've already said before, I never complained and I'm not complaining now. I simply accept and understand that is my fault. If I wanted to complain, I would haven't choosen the Unfair difficulty.

I haven't complained for Underrail Veteran difficulty, I will not complain for this. I know when it's a game fault and when it's mine. That's why I'm still playing without my spells: that's a game mechanic and I'm paying my faults.

Litmanen

Educated
Litmanen If you're suffering a hoarder mentality, I can sympathize. This game helped me break that habit, FWIW. Use potions and scrolls quite freely. They remain abundant all game and they will even out the experience tremendously.

The underlying challenges of the game are about attrition and balancing resources--time included. It's important to gave a long term strategy on how to conquer the map, rather than drift through the plot.
Thank you.

Now I'm using all the potions and scrolls, in the end. As soon as I see a battle approaching (I 90% of time go stealth so I can usually see enemies before they do), I make Amiri Drink Enlarge Person, and the I give barkskin to Valerie and the Leopard. And then I test every Linzi's feature (if needed) to control the opponents. Indeed, the fight against Hargulka and Tartuk has been easy from the first time (but I've save scummed even if I won that, because Amiri was completely dead).

Desiderius

Patron

I'm psyco, maybe

As I've already said before, I never complained and I'm not complaining now. I simply accept and understand that is my fault. If I wanted to complain, I would haven't choosen the Unfair difficulty.

I haven't complained for Underrail Veteran difficulty, I will not complain for this. I know when it's a game fault and when it's mine. That's why I'm still playing without my spells: that's a game mechanic and I'm paying my faults.
Just use the spells.

You don't have to use all of them but Resistances are pretty important.

Desiderius

Patron

Thank you.

Now I'm using all the potions and scrolls, in the end. As soon as I see a battle approaching (I 90% of time go stealth so I can usually see enemies before they do), I make Amiri Drink Enlarge Person, and the I give barkskin to Valerie and the Leopard. And then I test every Linzi's feature (if needed) to control the opponents. Indeed, the fight against Hargulka and Tartuk has been easy from the first time (but I've save scummed even if I won that, because Amiri was completely dead).
Barkskin lasts 10 min/lvl.

You don't have to pre-buff every fight. Cast and forget at the beginning of the whole map.

And the potion only gives you +2 AC, while letting Jub or Ekun cast it gets you up to +5 AC.

Litmanen

Educated
Another quick question: which level you "reach" at end game (considering I'm a completitionist)?

Plus do you suggest to share the XP also with companions out of the party? At the moment, I've reached I fair stable party with me, Linzi, the Ranger, Harrim, Amiri and Valeri.

What do you suggest?

Yosharian

Arcane
Another quick question: which level you "reach" at end game (considering I'm a completitionist)?

Plus do you suggest to share the XP also with companions out of the party? At the moment, I've reached I fair stable party with me, Linzi, the Ranger, Harrim, Amiri and Valeri.

What do you suggest?
Depends if you are doing all the side content or not, I think usually players hit level 20 just before the end

Share XP isn't something you need to worry about, it doesn't work the way you think it works.

You want "Only active companions receive experience" off. You can turn it on in the tutorial and before you've gotten 6 party members to get more XP, then turn it on once you do have 6 (future companions will be autoscaled up to your current XP), but there's really no point in having it on past that unless you intend to game the XP system.

"Only skill user recieves skill check experience" is up to you. If you have a huge persuasion score there's a few checks that give truly ridiculous amounts of XP in a handful of dialogs which can push your main character 1-2 levels ahead of the rest of the party in the late game. This is kind of dubious value though still compared to spreading out the XP. If you do all content including the DLC dungeon your whole party should be level 20 well before the ending.

Desiderius

Patron

What do you suggest?
The default is that experience is divided six ways then shared with all companions, even those not in the party.

Certain locations will have recommended companions to go there that you can see by mousing over them. A few of those are required.

That's an exceptionally low magic party outside of Harrim, who has some relatively narrow Domains. You have very little Arcane casting available. You're nearing the point of the game where Octavia really takes off but Jubilost can fill some of that gap while his bombs have high DC debuffs along with damage.

I usually alternate Val and Harrim to tank since he gets +4 AC vs giants (including Trolls and Zombies). Tristian is more of a classic Cleric while your main can also cover most divine casting needs.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You want "Only active companions receive experience" off. You can turn it on in the tutorial and before you've gotten 6 party members to get more XP, then turn it on once you do have 6 (future companions will be autoscaled up to your current XP), but there's really no point in having it on past that unless you intend to game the XP system.

"Only skill user recieves skill check experience" is up to you. If you have a huge persuasion score there's a few checks that give truly ridiculous amounts of XP in a handful of dialogs which can push your main character 1-2 levels ahead of the rest of the party in the late game. This is kind of dubious value though still compared to spreading out the XP. If you do all content including the DLC dungeon your whole party should be level 20 well before the ending.
Before the big Persuasion skill payoffs, Trickery can also get some nice XP from disarming traps. So if your main char is a charismatic character with rogue-ish traits, you can get some good payoff from "Only skill user gets experience from skills".
That leads to possibility of reaching level 20 during Act V (and allies will eventually XP match the leader during certain events).

Litmanen

Educated

What do you suggest?
Depends if you are doing all the side content or not, I think usually players hit level 20 just before the end

Share XP isn't something you need to worry about, it doesn't work the way you think it works.

For sure I'm doing all the content + DLC etc etc. Since I play games just once, I use to do everything I can. I would go kill two mites if I remember I forgot them even when I'm at level 20.
I share XP with all party member both generally and skill-checks-wise. So, I shouldn't be afraid I will not reach level 20 (even if I have read the level 20 is not needed to end the game), appaarently.

What do you suggest?
The default is that experience is divided six ways then shared with all companions, even those not in the party.

Certain locations will have recommended companions to go there that you can see by mousing over them. A few of those are required.

That's an exceptionally low magic party outside of Harrim, who has some relatively narrow Domains. You have very little Arcane casting available. You're nearing the point of the game where Octavia really takes off but Jubilost can fill some of that gap while his bombs have high DC debuffs along with damage.

I usually alternate Val and Harrim to tank since he gets +4 AC vs giants (including Trolls and Zombies). Tristian is more of a classic Cleric while your main can also cover most divine casting needs.
To be honest, since I'm an Inquisitor too, at the moment I have good feelings (and results) with this party. Harrim and Linzi are honestly very useful in filtering the enemies with their spells and abilities. I can add some more filtering with my spells. And then, both Harrim and Linzi che buff with their spells and I can do it with scrolls and potions. It is also true that I face every single challenge a level higher than other people do, maybe.

Yesterday I've tried to face Crag Linnamon with my party buffed against fire damage, but it still made whatever he wanted of my party.

Litmanen

Educated

Before the big Persuasion skill payoffs, Trickery can also get some nice XP from disarming traps. So if your main char is a charismatic character with rogue-ish traits, you can get some good payoff from "Only skill user gets experience from skills".
That leads to possibility of reaching level 20 during Act V (and allies will eventually XP match the leader during certain events).
Ah, I must say that I'm more interested in my party to reach level 20 than my character.
I'm not the best component of the party, for sure :negative:

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Replaying this. Last time I dropped it just after capping the stag lord.

Are any mods mandatory/strong recs nowadays? I was looking at COTW, proper flanking 2 and possibly the AI mod. I cant get a read on the last one, very mixed reports.

Desiderius

Patron
Buff mods help immensely.

CotW has a lot of chaff along with the wheat. Proper flanking adds significant difficulty (getting to vanilla functionality requires spending feats) though ostensibly it applies to enemies as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom