Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also the weapon you get that gives you one cast per day of Heroic Inspiration as lvl 17 caster is insane lol. Anyone that is not using that to buff their party is an idiot. It lasts almost 3 ingame hours.
Which is why not being able to loot dead companions in the house is v. annoying. It's quite easy to lose equipment that way when you play for the first time.
I have it on my main character :D
Also what is preventing your from loading a save before that moment?

ArchAngel

Arcane
It boggles my mind how much stuff there is to do in this game. It says I've played roughly 45 hours and I've only got to Season of Bloom. Are the other chapters any shorter? I'm having a blast.
All of them are pretty big.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Now that I have finished Pitax, it seems game lacks content until next chapter begins. Companion quests are done, crafters no longer come with their quests. Out of new quests I only got the miner dwarves vs young druids one and that one was very short and felt unfinished and lame. You cannot even enter Academy in Pitax after winning. That female bard Annamade or something disappeared after I told them they should have elections for next headmaster (I didn't even meet a new elected one).
Octavia's final quest in Pitax was funny.
If you enter that house at night time you can barely see anything in the house. After you talk with her mother you find yourself in a room with 3 locked doors with high DC. What if you didn't level Octavia as trickstery character and didn't bring a rogue for this? You miss the check for one of those doors and you are stuck there LOL

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I think I'm gonna play this. It feels like the true successor to the NWN 1 engine and concept but with a much better storyline and gameplay yet including all the AD&D goodness that started for me way back in 1989 with SSI's POR. Absolutely my best memories of computer role playing was with the many intricate, sophisticated and satisfying user-made modules for NWN. I need to scratch that itch again but until now no game has been worthy to continue that legacy.

Jinn

Arcane
I think I'm gonna play this. It feels like the true successor to the NWN 1 engine and concept but with a much better storyline and gameplay yet including all the AD&D goodness that started for me way back in 1989 with SSI's POR. Absolutely my best memories of computer role playing was with the many intricate, sophisticated and satisfying user-made modules for NWN. I need to scratch that itch again but until now no game has been worthy to continue that legacy.

Well, prepare yourself to be blown away and to form some new best computer gaming memories ever, because the only thing the NWN 1 engine has on this game is the modding capabilities.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

You're right. Unity is just as shit as Aurora was.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unless next Owlcat game is a big name AAA game I doubt Deep Silver will do one store exclusive deal.

They literally pay publishers to be exclusive to them and it is console-like bullshit that has no place in the PC realm. Anyone who practices it can die in a fire and I will pirate all of their shit. Say it doesn't affect you because of popamole games all you want, they will come for grognards later.

When they came for popamole games, I wasn't a popamole fan and said nothing... :negative:

sqeecoo

Arcane
Gah. Thought I had waited long enough for most of the bugs to be fixed, but no such luck. Started up an eldritch archer, and whenever I use the ranged spellstrike thing, the spellcasting graphic persists on the ground, lighting up the screen to a ridiculous degree:
25498385-210782936161835-5403066993169860545-n.jpg

The light is from the spot I was shooting from, and it never goes away. Any tips on how to get rid of this, bros? I found only a few mentions on the net, doesn't seem like everyone playing the eldritch archer has this problem.

zapotec

Liturgist
A few hours in and I don't get all the complaints about difficulty. I'm playing on medium (with permadeath disabled, because fuck that) and find most fights easy. Just died for the first time fighting the Ethnic League faggets that took a party member as a slave. Loaded and completely curbstomped them.

Maybe it's because the last RPG I played was D:OS2 on the ultra-retarded Tactitian mode where everything has a billion HP and has forcefields around it, and you die like 10 times in every fight but combat here seems pretty reasonable.

I recently played Icewind dale 2 and I found that the first chapter of pathfinder (custom difficulty, all set to normal with normal critical hits) was a cakewalk compared to the first one of IWD2.

Jinn

Arcane
A few hours in and I don't get all the complaints about difficulty. I'm playing on medium (with permadeath disabled, because fuck that) and find most fights easy. Just died for the first time fighting the Ethnic League faggets that took a party member as a slave. Loaded and completely curbstomped them.

Maybe it's because the last RPG I played was D:OS2 on the ultra-retarded Tactitian mode where everything has a billion HP and has forcefields around it, and you die like 10 times in every fight but combat here seems pretty reasonable.

The sweet spot for challenging but fair in P:K seems to be the "challenging" difficulty. As far as I understand, this is essentially the "core rules" setting for the game and always tends throw interesting encounters my way. If that doesn't do it for you, then crank it up to "hard" and you'll have some major difficulty getting through a lot of parts for sure.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Early on challenging seemed good. Around level 9 it became too easy and I switched to hard.

Of course I do stack AB buffs (Freebooter, bard, heroism), flank and make most enemies flat footed. And use Outflank with wide crit threat range weapons.

GrainWetski

Arcane

The people whining were just retarded. They expect to AFK their way through the hardest difficulties because that's what you do these days apparently.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Can someone explain CMB and CMD to me? It's the only mechanic I don't understand yet.

Also, what exactly are kineticists supposed to do? I don't understand what makes them good, or why I should give up a party spot for one.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Can someone explain CMB and CMD to me? It's the only mechanic I don't understand yet.

Also, what exactly are kineticists supposed to do? I don't understand what makes them good, or why I should give up a party spot for one.
CMB = combat maneuver bonus . It is added to a d20 roll to see if you succeed in your trip, grapple, disarm or bull rush attempt. You roll vs enemy CMD.

My lvl 17 kineticist does 150+ damage per round with her "basic" attack. She also almost never misses, does so at range and has other uses. She can open combat with 200 damage attack vs single target from 50 ft away.
Edit: I was wrong. With Earth element my Kineticist starts combat with a huge AoE attack that does 150+ damage to everyone :D And that broken shit lasts for few rounds and does that damage to anyone that enters it in the meantime. Also if they live they get knocked prone :D

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Also the weapon you get that gives you one cast per day of Heroic Inspiration as lvl 17 caster is insane lol. Anyone that is not using that to buff their party is an idiot. It lasts almost 3 ingame hours.
Which is why not being able to loot dead companions in the house is v. annoying. It's quite easy to lose equipment that way when you play for the first time.
I have it on my main character :D
Also what is preventing your from loading a save before that moment?
You'd have to reload at the portal, before you lose the party.

Wolfe

Arbiter
Just recruited Nok-Nok.. what is this unholy monstrosity?! He's almost doing more work than the rest of the party combined.

purpleblob

Savant
I just did my first wild hunt battle as part of the Ancient Curse quest. I probably over prepared for it but I didn't have any problems murdering them all. New Xp gain probably helps. Lvl 17 Tristian with lvl 9 spells and access to Elemental Swarm helps (although fire elementals do nothing to wild hunt as they got 15 DR vs normal damage and 10 DR vs fire damage but they are a buffer for taking damage).

Their crystal attack seem like it might be irritating later. Damage is not much (3d6) but it cannot be resisted and if enough of them target same target it accumulates.

I also got the crafters masterwork longsword and bow. Bow is especially nice weapon for dedicated archers.

I'm in chapter 6 end dungeon at the moment. My party is level 18 so the combat is a lot easier - the problem is, wild hunter encounter is still annoying and the mini bosses are waaaaaayy too easy. I still think Owlcat should have cut down the number of wild hunt encounters, and also consider buffing up mini bosses.

Anoriel eight eyes shows up in the house with:

4 recruitable pre made companions for FREE. I don't remember this from early run at all. Owlcat is making this a tad too easy now.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Keep in mind that patches have also reduced a lot of the early difficulty. Some mobs (the treant owlbear and initial not-so-random-encount with wolves instead of the hyenas) were toned down significantly, while other issues (like bugs where the algorithm for determining party level was clearly off, leading to sometimes getting random encounters way beyond your party's capabilities at lvl 2) were fixed.

It still wasn't as hard as casuals would have you think, but it was harder, especially on challenging+, where mob stats start to get weird. With the current version, you can mostly auto-attack your way through the early levels.

Yosharian

Arcane

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oh dear god no

It could happen.
Remember how someone said that Microsoft is going to build Netflix for games and Steam will die?
It's already happening.
You got a source on that? First time I've heard it
Alright, I found this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-xbox-netflix-for-games-2019-1

It's just cloud streaming for games. No way in hell this will replace Steam.
I think he meant M$ new service for consoles where you pay a monthly subscription and get access to a lot of games. And like netflix some games get removed from the list while others get added.
Phoenix Point is going to be releasing on that service for Xbox.

Yosharian

Arcane
Oh dear god no

It could happen.
Remember how someone said that Microsoft is going to build Netflix for games and Steam will die?
It's already happening.
You got a source on that? First time I've heard it
Alright, I found this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-xbox-netflix-for-games-2019-1

It's just cloud streaming for games. No way in hell this will replace Steam.
I think he meant M$ new service for consoles where you pay a monthly subscription and get access to a lot of games. And like netflix some games get removed from the list while others get added.
Phoenix Point is going to be releasing on that service for Xbox.
Ok, but not exclusively.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom