Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Thanks. Will probably take the barbarian until Nok-Nok comes online then.

purpleblob

Savant
You will get Harrim and Jaethal during the prologue. Regongar will join in chapter 1, Jubilost in chapter 2. You won't get Nok-Nok until towards the end of chapter 2.

I would trade out Jaethal and Regongar for Ekun and Linzi/the kineticist twins. Maguses (Magi?) are strong but just require too much damn micro. They're not fun to play with. Jaethal is just kind of hamstrung outside of very specific builds by her undead status. She'd be a great pnp char, but I don't feel like she works very well in a crpg.

deuxhero

Arcane
Correction: Regongar can join in chapter 1. He's actually missable if you're unlucky with random encounters or ignore the sidequest to get him.

Jaethal suffers from her build being horrible, and her class being a very social focused one in a video game. She has one of the worst domain choices for her class: The first ability is a low powered limited use melee attack and the second one gained at level 8 does absolutely nothing for her (or, if they did a small change to account for her being undead, very little.). Inquisitor is just garbage in this game due to how little stuff was implemented, the high encounter rate (their good abilities are all once per day or rounds per day) and the six man party making it trivial to cover all skills so there's no reason to use it over Cleric. It's literally better to drop her into almost any other class from level 2 onward than it is to keep her as an inquisitor.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Turn Jaethal into a mad dog barbarian, she will become the strongest member of the team. I feel like she was given 1 useless level in an attempt to balance her.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Correction: Regongar can join in chapter 1. He's actually missable if you're unlucky with random encounters or ignore the sidequest to get him.

Jaethal suffers from her build being horrible, and her class being a very social focused one in a video game. She has one of the worst domain choices for her class: The first ability is a low powered limited use melee attack and the second one gained at level 8 does absolutely nothing for her (or, if they did a small change to account for her being undead, very little.). Inquisitor is just garbage in this game due to how little stuff was implemented, the high encounter rate (their good abilities are all once per day or rounds per day) and the six man party making it trivial to cover all skills so there's no reason to use it over Cleric. It's literally better to drop her into almost any other class from level 2 onward than it is to keep her as an inquisitor.

The way her second domain ability reads it seems like it would be an even more huge pain to manage her without it.

She can of course never actually die, and she’s immune to a lot of annoying things so it’s worth it to try to make her work. I’ve got her on TSS x/Inq 8 so she and my death-immune Pal can tank the tombs.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A bigger issue I see is no actual tank.

Animate dead, animal companion, etc can replace an tank. I know because i did an 3 party member run( i - sorcerer of undead bloodline, an cleric and an druid) and there are people who soloed the game

PrettyDeadman

Animate dead, animal companion, etc can replace an tank. I know because i did an 3 party member run( i - sorcerer of undead bloodline, an cleric and an druid) and there are people who soloed the game

Walking as a giant glowing dragon (so that you can't see 80% of what is going on screen) especially in a tiny dungeon is truly
:prosper:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Eh, I suppose. But unless you do solo (which is obviously an entirely different playstyle), using meatshields to tank adds a lot of unnecessary micromanagement, pathing issues and needlessly prolongs encounters.
Personally I only use meatshield walls for a few select tough fights over the course of the entire game (as added safety buffer).

Codex Year of the Donut

Walking as a giant glowing dragon (so that you can't see 80% of what is going on screen) especially in a tiny dungeon is truly
:prosper:

there's a mod that lets you change the appearance of your character to make the game playable when using that shit

ArchAngel

Arcane
So I'm finally convinced that this game is done, and am going to make my first run. I have a question about party composition though. I plan on running:

Arcane Trickster (MC)
Harrim
Jaethal
Jubilost
Nok-Nok
Rongongar

Will this party be a pain? It's a bit squishy and nuanced, so it will require micro--but I'm ok with that. But is it too squishy? I'm also under the impression that attrition is a large part of this game though (timers, resting, etc). Also, will it take me a significant portion of the game to gather this party? Thanks!
Should work OK, just turn Jaethal into the main tank. Get rid of the Scythe shit and get her a good shield. She gets free teamwork feats that always work on her even if others don't have the same, it buffs her a lot. She gets both good defensive and offensive bonuses from it, she gets one per battle buff to AC, attack and damage and spontaneous casting of her spells is very useful.
I used her as main tank in my Necro run and she did awesome. Harrim also works as secondary tank for those that go around Jaethal and you also want to keep him close to her so she gets Shield Wall teamwork feat buff.

From the list, Regongar might be a problem as his tanking abilities are weak until very high levels and due to his Orc Ferocity he will keep fighting when his life drops to minus and then get killed all the time.
He is best used with a reach weapon or often with Enlarged Person buff. Also as people said, it is irritating to micromanage him all the time. If you plan to use Turn Based mod he is a much better choice there. Personally I would replace him with Fire Kineticist NPC if you got the DLC or Arcane Trickster NPC if not. Even with you being same class, it will just be twice the fun (and with arcane scroll merchant they fixed the main problem of having multiple wizards in the party) .

Nok Nok and Jubilost do awesome damage and they will kill almost anyone alone. Jubilost buffs are also a game changed for classes without shields (like Nok Nok).

Desiderius

Patron
So I'm finally convinced that this game is done, and am going to make my first run. I have a question about party composition though. I plan on running:

Arcane Trickster (MC)
Harrim
Jaethal
Jubilost
Nok-Nok
Rongongar

Will this party be a pain? It's a bit squishy and nuanced, so it will require micro--but I'm ok with that. But is it too squishy? I'm also under the impression that attrition is a large part of this game though (timers, resting, etc). Also, will it take me a significant portion of the game to gather this party? Thanks!
Should work OK, just turn Jaethal into the main tank. Get rid of the Scythe shit and get her a good shield. She gets free teamwork feats that always work on her even if others don't have the same, it buffs her a lot. She gets both good defensive and offensive bonuses from it, she gets one per battle buff to AC, attack and damage and spontaneous casting of her spells is very useful.
I used her as main tank in my Necro run and she did awesome. Harrim also works as secondary tank for those that go around Jaethal and you also want to keep him close to her so she gets Shield Wall teamwork feat buff.

From the list, Regongar might be a problem as his tanking abilities are weak until very high levels and due to his Orc Ferocity he will keep fighting when his life drops to minus and then get killed all the time.
He is best used with a reach weapon or often with Enlarged Person buff. Also as people said, it is irritating to micromanage him all the time. If you plan to use Turn Based mod he is a much better choice there. Personally I would replace him with Fire Kineticist NPC if you got the DLC or Arcane Trickster NPC if not. Even with you being same class, it will just be twice the fun (and with arcane scroll merchant they fixed the main problem of having multiple wizards in the party) .

Nok Nok and Jubilost do awesome damage and they will kill almost anyone alone. Jubilost buffs are also a game changed for classes without shields (like Nok Nok).

Jub is the one companion I never leave home without. Try Force Bombs - lots of bad dudes with low reflex and his DCs are high. Also pretty funny with Boogeyman Robe. Good for giving pets Echolocation.

As for Reg, just get extended Magus Arcana and have him buff himself with defensive stuff. Touch of Fatigue is a fine spell and gives him an extra full BAB whack over similar level toons and his strength is a game changer, especially if you do the DD splash to make him an Uber-general in kingdom management.

Open combat with Demoralize to let tanks engage then charge in and lay the wood.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Waste Arcana on simple Extend? Limited to 3 times per rest? Same as a simple Extend rod? No, thank you.

Plus calling that an extra Full BAB attack is not fully accurate. I mean it technically is, but it also lowers the AB for ALL attacks by -2. And usually it does not offer more attacks then a Full BAB class would have at that level (except early on).

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Extend rods are so common in the game (even if you don't buy them) that all my casters had at least one. By end game I think I had two greater extend and 2 standard extend rods.

Arcane Trickster (MC)
Harrim
Jaethal
Jubilost
Nok-Nok
Rongongar

Terrible party selection. Harrim is basically warpig, Jaethal is a less sunshiny version of Lhynn, Jubilost is a straight up arrogant prick, and Rongongar is a violent orc. Would only 1/10 if MC specialized in Mute.

Desiderius

Patron
Extend rods are so common in the game (even if you don't buy them) that all my casters had at least one. By end game I think I had two greater extend and 2 standard extend rods.

And they’re all put to very good use. What else are picking at the first arcana, accuracy? Isn’t that like one true strike? Or do you use it with enduring?

There aren’t any good touch wands.

I’m not big on resting much so extend is my favorite meta.

Desiderius

Patron
Waste Arcana on simple Extend? Limited to 3 times per rest? Same as a simple Extend rod? No, thank you.

Plus calling that an extra Full BAB attack is not fully accurate. I mean it technically is, but it also lowers the AB for ALL attacks by -2. And usually it does not offer more attacks then a Full BAB class would have at that level (except early on).

The dude has a million strength. That -2 hurts him way less than the average joe and every extra whack hits much harder. I’m assuming 4/5 levels of Dragon Disciple for kingdom management purposes.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Million Strength hardly compensates for not having Full BAB (Transformation can temporarily fix) + not having the like of +7 from Weapon Training and Dueling Gloves.

Of course, he's not bad at dishing pain. But lets not exaggerate.

Desiderius

Patron
Million Strength hardly compensates for not having Full BAB (Transformation can temporarily fix) + not having the like of +7 from Weapon Training and Dueling Gloves.

Of course, he's not bad at dishing pain. But lets not exaggerate.

You can always give him the fighter levels if you like, he gets the extra whack at Magus 2. I prefer giving the gloves (and fighter levels) to Nok-Nok, or on this playthrough on Swordlord Linzi.

I intend to have Jaethal tank. I am not married to her inquisitor class, though the broad scope of abilities has appeal to me. Rongongar was a tougher decision. I wanted to use the kineticist from the DLC, but figured I needed an off tank. I also liked the supportive arcane casting so that my AT would have more latitude in spell selection. If he is truly a chore he may get dropped for the barbarian. Personality wise, I was looking to do a morally ambiguous party of misanthropes. I figure I will get most out of this game by sitting on the fence, alignment wise. I also tried to stick to similar alignments to avoid party members dueling or deserting on my first Play through. I am still very early in game, so my options are still wide open. I appreciate the replies.

Has anyone managed to figure out a solution to this game's performance issues - namely the stuttering?
After beating PoE 2 i'm eager to play this game but last time i played it (not too long ago btw, after the enhanced edition) i had to abandon a campaign due to stuttering that kept getting worse and worse as the game went on.
Any ideas? I've tried things like restarting, clearing ram, cpu affinity etc. btw.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Running Jaethal as tank now in TB when I have time to play on Unfair, shock frost mace + crane style (although I picked wf long sword for later), heavy shield and Bard, mirror image, blur, buffs. She doesn't actually attack much though just shifts auras like an aurabot to keep both Competence song and Daze song at the same time with Lingering + maybe I will pick DDisplay too. Once I get good hoep and turn song into move action I am thinking either black dragon DD or eldritch knight, but maybe just 4 DD + bard would do. Maybe also Expertise and Dirty Trick for utility n stuff.

Has anyone managed to figure out a solution to this game's performance issues - namely the stuttering?
After beating PoE 2 i'm eager to play this game but last time i played it (not too long ago btw, after the enhanced edition) i had to abandon a campaign due to stuttering that kept getting worse and worse as the game went on.
Any ideas? I've tried things like restarting, clearing ram, cpu affinity etc. btw.

Yeah, I had the same issue after EE came out. Google it, saw advice to lower AA (Anti-Aliasing). Tried it, it helped it a lot. Lower it to 4x first, then 2x, then disable altogether is still stutters. At 2x, mine doesn't stutter much anymore.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Running Jaethal as tank now in TB when I have time to play on Unfair, shock frost mace + crane style (although I picked wf long sword for later), heavy shield and Bard, mirror image, blur, buffs. She doesn't actually attack much though just shifts auras like an aurabot to keep both Competence song and Daze song at the same time with Lingering + maybe I will pick DDisplay too. Once I get good hoep and turn song into move action I am thinking either black dragon DD or eldritch knight, but maybe just 4 DD + bard would do. Maybe also Expertise and Dirty Trick for utility n stuff.

Interesting.

One thing that i din't understood. why they added the undead rules to allow you to have an undead companion, but won't allow without cheats to make your main character an undead? On D&D/Pathfinder, Unlife > life

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom