Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Last question - since I intend to play this in German, does anyone have some experience with the German translation and its quality?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Fucking hell, the loot is NUTS in this one. Level 5-6 and you are FLOODED with magical items! It's a bit overwhelming at points

Trashos

Arcane
Fucking hell, the loot is NUTS in this one. Level 5-6 and you are FLOODED with magical items! It's a bit overwhelming at points

Now, that's what I like to hear. I am still Lv3 myself.

Same "criticism" that BG2 once received, right?

Cael

Arcane

It is better than IWD2, where you are still wearing basically Platemail +1 at the end of the game. Loot in IWD2 is boring as batshit, which actually makes casters even more powerful than they already are.

ArchAngel

Arcane

There is more loot in PKM at higher levels than in BG2. But most of the loot is something your current characters cannot use and you sell it and often you don't spend all your money so it balances out. When I reached endgame I had all the items I wanted and extra 1 000 000 gold.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I can't decide if I like that or not. I do enjoy "the struggle" to find some good equipment. Here it seems more like I'm trying to gather money to get even more insane stuff. Maybe it's the Pathfinder setting though?
Still the combat is great and that overcomes all other issues. Btw it's pretty buggy still. Not anything game breaking so far but for example the combat log got stuck a couple of times, once I got stuck in a loading screen... Stuff like that

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

There is more loot in PKM at higher levels than in BG2. But most of the loot is something your current characters cannot use and you sell it and often you don't spend all your money so it balances out. When I reached endgame I had all the items I wanted and extra 1 000 000 gold.

Alternatively one can build one's characters with that loot in mind.

Desiderius

Patron
I can't decide if I like that or not. I do enjoy "the struggle" to find some good equipment. Here it seems more like I'm trying to gather money to get even more insane stuff. Maybe it's the Pathfinder setting though?
Still the combat is great and that overcomes all other issues. Btw it's pretty buggy still. Not anything game breaking so far but for example the combat log got stuck a couple of times, once I got stuck in a loading screen... Stuff like that

Never had that (hangs) happen. Unmodded. Most of the best equipment, and that goes for each chapter, can't be bought with some obvious exceptions. Artisans seem underutilized.

Desiderius

Patron

It is better than IWD2, where you are still wearing basically Platemail +1 at the end of the game. Loot in IWD2 is boring as batshit, which actually makes casters even more powerful than they already are.

Depths loot gets more like that the lower you go, but the rest of the game has great (maybe a little too great) itemization. Wild Hunt bows aren't even Masterwork? +5 Club UP. I think they left it to an intern or something.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Problem is that there is no good armour in IWD2, for love or money. The +1 platemail is as good as it gets until the HoW difficulty. That is why monks are so popular in the game, and the highest possible AC in the game relies on a monk base. The equipment is skewed heavily towards weapons, with a +4 and a +5 weapon as soon as Chapter 2.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I'm only saying that back when I played D&D, getting a +1 weapon was a big deal. In P:K on level 4 or something, everyone has a magic ring, a magic cape, a magical weapon and a couple of extra magical items. Plus a bunch of wands, loads of scrolls etc
I'm not used to that I guess

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm only saying that back when I played D&D, getting a +1 weapon was a big deal. In P:K on level 4 or something, everyone has a magic ring, a magic cape, a magical weapon and a couple of extra magical items. Plus a bunch of wands, loads of scrolls etc
PKM is based on D&D 3.5 where you get more loot then in previous editions. PKM gives even more than PnP but BG games gave 3x more magic loot than PnP so it is kind of similar.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
It's true that also BG was overdoing it.

I have a couple of other complaints about the game but I'll wait to get further in the game to comment, I only just got to be a baron

Desiderius

Patron

You're playing a helluva lot better than I did my first playthrough then. They also added the Boggart Cave I guess. But yeah, point taken. The items really take off sometime around ch 3 & 4.

Desiderius

Patron
Haplo, I built a Fighter dual-wielding Falcatas and yeah those new Fighter feats they snuck into the last DLC are super sweet. Basically +5 to Will, +4 to Reflex and initiative. Effortless is +2/+2 if you're in for that instead. Replaces Weapon Training on second weapon group so doesn't require using regular feats. Was always so annoying that the extra weapon-trainings didn't really do anything. Really rounds out the class nicely.

Falcata Dual-wield.jpg

This is naked and the stats are messed up because you can't respec with equipment on (I made it finesse/slashing grace which evidently looking at melee attack bonuses doesn't work anyway) but you can see the initiative boost and the solid base saves before equipment. She'll have 15-20 x4 autoconfirm at level 20.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with some extra swag. Allows you to get more phat loot later on.

Andhaira

Arcane
Ok, is the TB mod worth it or not? I mean, I know the tabletop is turnbased obviously, but the game was designed to be RTwP; i don't want the TB mode to break something.

Can you insert the TB mod into an ongoing campaign without breaking anything?

Efe

Erudite
i didnt use it but never heard of anyone complaining about tb mod either.
it was praised a lot in pages before though iguess the degree of finesse you get with turn based makes it easier

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, is the TB mod worth it or not? I mean, I know the tabletop is turnbased obviously, but the game was designed to be RTwP; i don't want the TB mode to break something.

Can you insert the TB mod into an ongoing campaign without breaking anything?
It is awesome, just know that the game is easier with it than without it as encounters are often kind of messy when doing them in real time and some of their difficulty comes from that. Being able to position each character precisely, delay, place spells exactly where you want them makes the whole thing easier.
There is no problem to apply it at any time during your campaign. Try it and you can turn it off if you don't like the new difficulty. You can also try to turn up the difficulty if you choose to leave it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have no idea how people play this TB, given the number of trash mobs and trash encounters, specially in chapters 4 and 5.
You can turn it off at any point and just do them in real time.
But TB mode makes the combat more fun, even with all the trash mob encounters.

Thonius

Arcane
You can use some underrated abilities with it to a great success. Breath of Life for example. I never managed to use it in RTWP but int TB it's actually useful spell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom