Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

deuxhero

Arcane
How long ago did he work on it and when did he leave?

I'm not so sure this is a video game thing (and it would be a pretty bad time to with PF2E being a shitty system), since Paizo has done plenty with minis and game aids.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
How long ago did he work on it and when did he leave?

I'm not so sure this is a video game thing (and it would be a pretty bad time to with PF2E being a shitty system), since Paizo has done plenty with minis and game aids.

He worked at WotC for almost 9 years and left it in 2018. He started his career at Lucasarts in 1999 as a designer and served as director of IGDA for 5 years. I think it's a fair guess that this hire is to leverage his network and strengthen digital business.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't like stuff like that to be honest. I'm playing a fantasy game, and don't really bother about realism that much - there was nothing wrong with simple rest with BG2. I want to kill kobolds, zombies and cast fireball, not worry about rest items.

I just hunted every time on the world map and still finished chapter one with 30 days left. Not sure if the later chapters have a tougher time crunch or not, but so far I only need rations for dungeons (and even then there's often exits to the surface for I assume resting purposes).

The time incentives are 90% carrot, 10% stick. Hunt + rations saves a great deal of time, which you can spend ranking up kingdom which gets you the best items in the game (to use or sell for big bank) and other advantages. No reason to worry about anything. Make a strategic plan then execute it.

deuxhero

Arcane
When making an arcane trickster which makes for a better base. Wizard or Sorcerer? Follow up question, one level dip into vivi or rogue?
Wizard, by far.
1: Only needs three levels, not four, to qualify
2: Intelligence gives skill points, very useful to an arcane trickster. Charisma gives one skill (and with trait mod installed, that can be moved to intelligence).

Vivisectionist or Rogue is more open.
Rogue gives more skills, more weapon options you don't need (though I think there might be a short sword or rapier somewhere in the game that gives a passive bonus to something, but honestly don't remember), and either Trapfinding (meh here, great in PnP) or a good intimidate boost from Thug (great if using trait to make persausion intelligence based, meh otherwise). Alchemist gives 1st level alchemist potions (meh, with their stunted casting level all you'll use these slots for CLW out of combat), mutagen (useless for you), and Brew Potion (if you have the crafting mod).

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
When making an arcane trickster which makes for a better base. Wizard or Sorcerer? Follow up question, one level dip into vivi or rogue?
Wizard, by far.
2: Intelligence gives skill points, very useful to an arcane trickster. Charisma gives one skill (and with trait mod installed, that can be moved to intelligence).

Rogue gives more skills, more weapon options you don't need (though I think there might be a short sword or rapier somewhere in the game that gives a passive bonus to something, but honestly don't remember), and either Trapfinding (meh here, great in PnP) or a good intimidate boost from Thug (great if using trait to make persausion intelligence based, meh otherwise). Alchemist gives 1st level alchemist potions (meh, with their stunted casting level all you'll use these slots for CLW out of combat), mutagen (useless for you), and Brew Potion (if you have the crafting mod).
Thank you for answering my question!

Sykar

Arcane
Wizard, by far.

Knife Master is the way to go!
:troll:

Desiderius

Patron
Wizard, by far.

There were two big debates on Steam regarding the question of weapons with Trickster. Deux here got destroyed (not his fault since he's mostly just looking to duplicate his extensive PnP experience) and some other guy (Marcos or something) came around to using weapons but insisted it was still better to just go straight caster (with one level of Rogue + Accomplished Sneak) where I wanted to get four levels of Rogue for all the goodies those give you, particularly 3 extra BAB all game.

This run I'm doing now I'll be testing his approach for the first time with Octavia since I'm trying to go without Jub.

Bottom line is weapons give you iterative attacks (plus rapid shot + haste extra attack) with sneaks/vitals/hurricane bow attached to each while cantrips don't.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

You can also use those Alchemist slots for True Strikes (can use Lesser Quicken Rod with them). Base Mutagen is of limited use, however +4 AC, +2 ranged AB and +2 Reflex is still worth SOMETHING. Particularly for a Trickster, who tends to use many Ranged Touch Attacks.
But the meta is to take the 2nd Alchemist level at level 20 and pick Cogantogen Discovery. +2 spell DC? Yes, please.

And regarding rogue weapon access... as an alchemist, you should pick Grenadier archetype, of course, and that provides free Martial Weapon Proficiency....

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wizard, by far.

The mutagen is not useless for you, an almost untyped +4 to Dexterity is always good.

Desiderius

Patron

You can also use those Alchemist slots for True Strikes (can use Lesser Quicken Rod with them). Base Mutagen is of limited use, however +4 AC, +2 ranged AB and +2 Reflex is still worth SOMETHING. Particularly for a Trickster, who tends to use many Ranged Touch Attacks.
But the meta is to take the 2nd Alchemist level at level 20 and pick Cogantogen Discovery. +2 spell DC? Yes, please.

And regarding rogue weapon access... as an alchemist, you should pick Grenadier archetype, of course, and that provides free Martial Weapon Proficiency....

If you're priced into the splash just to qualify for Trickster then Grenadier is the way to go (don't forget the -1 Will and -1 Perception on that mutagen), though Thug4/Sorc 6/AT10 can do some crazy shit in its own right.

Desiderius

Patron
The mutagen is not useless for you, an almost untyped +4 to Dexterity is always good.

+4 DEX, -2 WIS
If you are optimizing your character, why would you care for a -1 to Will ST when you can get a +2 to hit?

To hit is more plentiful than Perception and Will.

SlayerAB.jpg

Lvl 11 AT:

Octavia accuracy.jpg

Still a net gain, but need to account for both pros and cons when making decisions.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There were two big debates on Steam regarding the question of weapons with Trickster. Deux here got destroyed (not his fault since he's mostly just looking to duplicate his extensive PnP experience) and some other guy (Marcos or something) came around to using weapons but insisted it was still better to just go straight caster (with one level of Rogue + Accomplished Sneak) where I wanted to get four levels of Rogue for all the goodies those give you, particularly 3 extra BAB all game.

This run I'm doing now I'll be testing his approach for the first time with Octavia since I'm trying to go without Jub.

Bottom line is weapons give you iterative attacks (plus rapid shot + haste extra attack) with sneaks/vitals/hurricane bow attached to each while cantrips don't.
Give link to this "big debate" in favor of weapons. Casters have horrible bab and ranged touch spells target touch AC.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Fire dragon sorc, more spells and more damage. Vivisectionist for obvious reasons.

Shadenuat

Arcane
dragon for high numbers, elemental (earth especially) for flexibility.

I killed Unfair boss duo of Captor/Captive with Earth sorc AT.

evoker is also ok. necromancer I found quite potent, the shadow ray is actually nice, and one-shotting low fortitude stuff like blind sisters is greatly satisfying.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
Spider Swarm encounter in Fangberry cave, Enhanced edition, playing for the first time:

- Amiri throws Alchemist Fire: miss
- N'Ashtar casts Acid Splash: miss
- Linzi throws Alchemist Fire: miss
- Harrim throws Alchemist Fire: miss

Such a magnificent encounter design.

I don't really care that much, will reload, try some other time etc., but I guess that for many players this will be one of the 'WTF is this shit' moments, game returned and negative review on Steam. If they are adapting the concept of swarm in the game, at least use AC that's appropriate at this point in the game. I can only guess how did it look before the makeover in EE.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Spider Swarm encounter in Fangberry cave, Enhanced edition, playing for the first time:

- Amiri throws Alchemist Fire: miss
- N'Ashtar casts Acid Splash: miss
- Linzi throws Alchemist Fire: miss
- Harrim throws Alchemist Fire: miss

Such a magnificent encounter design.

I don't really care that much, will reload, try some other time etc., but I guess that for many players this will be one of the 'WTF is this shit' moments, game returned and negative review on Steam. If they are adapting the concept of swarm in the game, at least use AC that's appropriate at this point in the game. I can only guess how did it look before the makeover in EE.
Have Harrim and your caster PC use True Strike with Alchemist Fire and Fire Belly. If Linzi has Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot, have only her throwing the rest of the flasks. You can use torches for the last bits of health, and Amiri can outrun swarms if you want to cheese it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
idk who your char is but harrim has like 8 dex and amiri is not best at throwing either.

honestly I don't know why swarms even have AC. you can't hit them with basic weapons anyway, unless they have elemental damage on them, so why not set their AC to 0, but still allow reflex save against pots and spells? that would make them unique monster that ignores the AC and BAB thing and does something different.

why not set giant tree AC to 0, but give it 500 hp and dr/cold iron 20? (it already has fire vulnerability afaik) here is where you Power Attack would be 100% viable, etc.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
idk who your char is but harrim has like 8 dex and amiri is not best at throwing either.

honestly I don't know why swarms even have AC. you can't hit them with basic weapons anyway, unless they have elemental damage on them, so why not set their AC to 0, but still allow reflex save against pots and spells? that would make them unique monster that ignores the AC and BAB thing and does something different.

why not set giant tree AC to 0, but give it 500 hp and dr/cold iron 20? (it already has fire vulnerability afaik) here is where you Power Attack would be 100% viable, etc.
Wait, you can't hit swarms with basic weapons? You definitely can according to Pathfinder rules.

Shadenuat

Arcane
well I mean you can't damage them.

the point is: there's nothing wrong with removing a few weird enemies from common mechanical routine if it can make for an interesting enemy.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
well I mean you can't damage them.

the point is: there's nothing wrong with removing a few weird enemies from common mechanical routine if it can make for an interesting enemy.
But you CAN damage swarms with normal weapons in Pathfinder:
Swarm Traits: A swarm has no clear front or back and no discernable anatomy, so it is not subject to critical hits or Flanking. A swarm made up of Tiny creatures takes half Damage from slashing and piercing Weapons. A swarm composed of Fine or Diminutive creatures is immune to all weapon Damage. Reducing a swarm to 0 Hit Points or less causes it to break up, though Damage taken until that point does not degrade its ability to attack or resist attack. Swarms are never staggered or reduced to a dying state by Damage. Also, they cannot be tripped, grappled, or bull rushed, and they cannot Grapple an opponent.

Shadenuat

Arcane
A swarm composed of Fine or Diminutive creatures is immune to all weapon Damage.
Spiders are small so you can't.

I think you can damage mandragoras. and Raven swarms too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom