Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Sykar

Arcane
Does Octavia's bow damage/hit chance effect her in any way when she uses a level 0 spell as her standard action? Having a hard time figuring it out from googling.

No. For spells specifically there is only the ray talent line that improves that sort of spell of which Octavia casts a lot, notably Scorching Ray, Disintegrate and Hellfire Ray. I am pretty sure it affects the cantrips as well. General ranged talents like Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot, which are basically mandatory for any AT, work on ranged touch attack spells.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Bow things only work for bows, but there aren't a whole lot - Many Shot for instance. Rapid Shot works for any ranged weapon, but not spells, including lvl 0 ones. You only get one of those per round whatever you do (aside from quicken metamagic), but it's usually easier to hit touch AC with a spell than regular with a weapon.

Octavia will auto-attack Acid Splash even with a ranged weapon equipped, so if you want her to use a Bow you have to put Charge on auto-attack.

Or you could let her slice and dice.

OctaviaDuelistCharge.jpg

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow... Sword saints are really good.

I'm still getting used to the buffs I should have active and how I should use my arcane pool on the weapon or save it for big crits.

The gimped spell list of the magus isn't so bad either. This seems to be everyones favourite class.

I was thinking about speccing for dueling sword for my kensai build so I can use bloodhound would this be worse than just using a Scimitar/longsword/serpent prince ECT?

Desiderius

Patron
So thought I'd go for Boggart Champ at lvl 5 Unfair for fun. Everything going well (champ nauseated), but see if you can spot the problem.

Lvl 5 Unfair Boggart Champ.jpg

Archaeologist MC forgot to prep Mirror Image so last surviving Savage one-shotted him despite being Blind from Glitterdust.

That's Val's Smilodon doing a lot of the work.

Here's Stag Lord fight, still lvl 5, same problem:

Forgot Image Again.jpg

This time just knocked out, didn't die.

Made it back to Oleg's in the nick of time:

Whew.jpg

Necklace of Double Crosses is going to be sweet.

Desiderius

Patron
That is a great portrait for your protagonist Desiderius and it fits well with the other portraits, a common problem I have when scouring the net for good portraits to use. Where did you get that one from?

The big portrait mod from Nexus. You've got to pick and choose the ones you want because the whole thing will slow the game down.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Nice unfair act 1 down. That is very interesting combination of the sneak attack necklace and the dueling sword.

Dueling swords have a very good progression if you know where to go. I wonder if there is a complete item list with locations, somewhere online.

Its not like Baldurs Gate where I just know where everything is.

Desiderius

Patron
That is very interesting combination of the sneak attack necklace and the dueling sword.

I'm not using the Dueling Sword this playthrough, it just gives you a goal to shoot for timewise in Ch. 1 (under 30 days). Dueling swords are reasonably well-supported, well-balanced, and lore-friendly.

I'll be using the Necklace with TWF* however to get the most bang for my buck (along with Archaeologist's Luck, Piranha Strike, Sense Vitals, Destructive Aura, Inspire Courage, Good Hope, etc...) and Dueling Swords are used one-handed.

I don't recommend Unfair prior to lvl 5, but things really start to kick on at that point.

* - going to have trouble resisting that Double Light Saber (Twin Crystals) thing when I get it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No. For spells specifically there is only the ray talent line that improves that sort of spell of which Octavia casts a lot, notably Scorching Ray, Disintegrate and Hellfire Ray. I am pretty sure it affects the cantrips as well. General ranged talents like Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot, which are basically mandatory for any AT, work on ranged touch attack spells.

Thanks. I assumed it was useless, but just wanted to confirm there wasn't some weird Pathfinder thing about hit chance on your main weapon effecting your spells or something. Hopefully I got precise shot, I'll check, but it could be confusing since I believe it says "ranged weapon" which doesn't scream magic. I can see why there was so much confusion for Pathfinder newbies, though usually a quick google search explains things. I'll give my cool bow to Linzi then, though she barely ever fires it really. Just got the alchemist guy and... not a fan. Linzi's buffs seem way more important.

Just had a fun and challenging fight to save the mage from trolls. Overall "challenging" difficulty isn't that hard IMO, though I got to the troll base and the guys at the door were impossible, so I must be underleveled. I have no idea how long it takes before trolls effect your kingdom, so... we'll see what happens while I do some other things. The will 'o wisps from the well raped me too.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wow... Sword saints are really good.

I'm still getting used to the buffs I should have active and how I should use my arcane pool on the weapon or save it for big crits.

The gimped spell list of the magus isn't so bad either. This seems to be everyones favourite class.

I was thinking about speccing for dueling sword for my kensai build so I can use bloodhound would this be worse than just using a Scimitar/longsword/serpent prince ECT?

IMO dueling swords: better then scimitars for sure.
Vs. longswords... well, late game depends on your luck with artisans. Redeemer is better then Bloodhound... but personally I never got it, so... Also Bloodhound can be gotten that much earlier.
Serpent Prince? Why do you bring this up again? It's not really a great weapon for a tanky character such as a Sword Saint, even moreso that it prevents Spell Combat. Sure it can be uber if you get it early, but late game there are stronger weapons. I already wrote: want a dedicated two-hander? Go for greataxes then. Unless you need to stand behind other characters for protection (you don't) or maybe you have an unhealthy obsession with Cleaving.

Other top competitive picks include: estocs (best one-handed weapon end game, but they don't have a great progression), falcatas (Lion's Claw is actually quite similar to the Serpent Prince, but allows Spell Combat - slightly smaller damage dice, though). Again, bastard swords are pretty nice - you can use Spell Combat with them and you get bigass heavy damage variants late game.

JDR13

Arcane
How are druids in this game? More specifically, can they go toe to toe with tougher enemies while shapeshifted, or is shifting underwhelming as usual?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
How are druids in this game? More specifically, can they go toe to toe with tougher enemies while shapeshifted, or is shifting underwhelming as usual?
Druids are good because the animal companion is a beast at absorbing and dealing damage and because its spell list has some very good spells. Each level has some very useful ones and you can prepare them even if they are extremely situational, because you can always drop a prepared spell to summon some animals into the fray and that's almost always a good a idea.

However, even if I have had a druid in party in every playthrough (either as the main character or as a mercenary), I have never used its wild shape.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
However, even if I have had a druid in party in every playthrough (either as the main character or as a mercenary), I have never used its wild shape.

So there are no druid companions then?
There are no druid companions, but at level 1 mercenaries are cheaper then dirt. You could also multiclass Amiri, but she would make a very unhortodox druid, since she has a very low wisdom score. You would still be able to cast 9th level spells thanks to ability boosting items, but you won't be able to use effectively spells that allows the target a saving throw to avoid the effect

Sykar

Arcane

Thanks. I assumed it was useless, but just wanted to confirm there wasn't some weird Pathfinder thing about hit chance on your main weapon effecting your spells or something. Hopefully I got precise shot, I'll check, but it could be confusing since I believe it says "ranged weapon" which doesn't scream magic. I can see why there was so much confusion for Pathfinder newbies, though usually a quick google search explains things. I'll give my cool bow to Linzi then, though she barely ever fires it really. Just got the alchemist guy and... not a fan. Linzi's buffs seem way more important.

Just had a fun and challenging fight to save the mage from trolls. Overall "challenging" difficulty isn't that hard IMO, though I got to the troll base and the guys at the door were impossible, so I must be underleveled. I have no idea how long it takes before trolls effect your kingdom, so... we'll see what happens while I do some other things. The will 'o wisps from the well raped me too.

You are right that the description of Precise Shot is a bit misleading but I can assure you, and many others like Haplo , Desiderius or Pink Eye , that it and Point Blank Shot work with spells.
Glad you enjoy the game, have fun playing it.

Harrim makes an okay druid.

Personally I really like what they did in Call of the Wild mod and turn him into a Warpriest.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Again, bastard swords are pretty nice - you can use Spell Combat with them and you get bigass heavy damage variants late game.

I remember bastard swords being good and having quite a few guaranteed drops, but that's 2/3 through the game.

There should be many bastard swords since two of you henchmen are specced for them at the start of the game. What is your progression usually?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Hm, buy +1 Fire in your capital once you establish it.

Then pray for a +4 Oppressor (with +6 Charisma and +2 Will) from Sahiya. Can happen early (like Serpent Prince). Or not.
Afterwards oversized Ovinrbaane from Armag in Act 4 (very cool, even lets you cast many spells from the sword's lists). Then oversized Graveyard of the Giants early at the HatEoT (makes Rage spell kinda nice, as it acts like a +7 then).
Meanwhile if you still want to use Spell Combat at that time, there's also the Unstoppable Khanda (+4, bonuses to Persuasion, mind saves; also looks cool and is poisonous) at Pitax Palace and Ravenna's Kiss (+5 Adamantine, lest cast Harm 3x per rest) if you solve an obnoxious puzzle, also in Act 5.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Raven Quest isn't even a puzzle. It's a convoluted mess. "Go here, now somehow figure out the order in which the blocks are supposed to be organized in". Th-thanks Owlcat.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
The Raven Quest isn't even a puzzle. It's a convoluted mess. "Go here, now somehow figure out the order in which the blocks are supposed to be organized in". Th-thanks Owlcat.

Wish it were just "Go here (...)".
Instead it's go to 5 different map locations, all with their own loading screens, travel times to reach, etcetera. And piece together the solution...

Desiderius

Patron

So there are no druid companions then?
There are no druid companions, but at level 1 mercenaries are cheaper then dirt. You could also multiclass Amiri, but she would make a very unhortodox druid, since she has a very low wisdom score. You would still be able to cast 9th level spells thanks to ability boosting items, but you won't be able to use effectively spells that allows the target a saving throw to avoid the effect

Just finished destroying Ch. 1 with Feyspeaker Val. Fourth great build for her.

Mercs suck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom