Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Question about tenebruous depths. When I kill a sub boss, the dragon says he has gone further and found more items that I'll be interested in, but his inventory never updates. This is the main campaign, to be clear. Is that normal?

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Question about tenebruous depths. When I kill a sub boss, the dragon says he has gone further and found more items that I'll be interested in, but his inventory never updates. This is the main campaign, to be clear. Is that normal?
You can sort his inventory by new to see them. But I think it was just some useless wands he got every time. Nothing major.

BTW, since you're there, are you making sure to find the story item on each floor? Every boss drops the fifth in the set if you've already found the previous four.

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Final fight in prologue.

There's cheese for that fight that's quite useful on higher difficulties. Just stealth the MC and hide in a corner. Kalikke/Kanerah and Amari have plot armor and they will win the fight if you give them enough time. You get XP for every kill they make too.

Oh, sorry. I meant that Amiri is quite strong with an ovinrbaane that doesn’t appear to be testing her will. If it’s broken, I might reconsider using it. Wasn’t sure if this is working as intended or not, hence asking the wise scholars here.

The sword is broken and therefore very good. Just use it as you see fit.

I think that line just comes from the roguelike DLC. Neither the dragon nor Honest Guy have ever had anything useful to sell me in the story version of the dungeon, ever.

You can sort his inventory by new to see them. But I think it was just some useless wands he got every time. Nothing major.

BTW, since you're there, are you making sure to find the story item on each floor? Every boss drops the fifth in the set if you've already found the previous four.
Oh, thanks for the reminder. I ran through the floors again now that I’m higher level and found a few chests and a door that was dc 36. Also a letter on a table I totally missed before.

I think I should probably drop something like spell focus and crank up my perception on a couple characters with skills. Right now I’m using the find traps spell, some items, greater heroism, mass owl, and the bard song if I can afford it.

Welp, it looks like I needed to have found the lore items BEFORE fighting each sub boss to get the final item for each set of floors. Owned. I didn't realize that and my first playthrough was without DLC on release.

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

You miss out on an additional boss battle and some (addmittedly pretty cool) loot but none of it has any real impact on your ability to finish the game.

But yeah that quest item stuff has been the source of much frustration to many. I save before the section bosses, see if I get the additional drop from them, and if not, reload and scrounge the most recent four floors for the stuff I have missed.

Man, arcane trickster 10 is so god damn epic. Firing up sense vitals and hitting everything with chainlighting and quickened fireballs is absurd. In encounters with a high amount of targets I think it's unparalleled other than save or suck AOE CC

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Finished Vordaki's tomb, great dungeon.

But, damn. That final fight was disappointing, he just spammed fear and finger.

Man, arcane trickster 10 is so god damn epic. Firing up sense vitals and hitting everything with chainlighting and quickened fireballs is absurd. In encounters with a high amount of targets I think it's unparalleled other than save or suck AOE CC

I got Surprise Spells inside Vordakai's Tomb.
Wasting the Soul Eaters was fun, but not nearly as satisfying as casting Chain Lightning on the massive horde of zombies near the end of the tomb. GLORIOUS!

Amen, brother. I didn’t get it until after because I’m bad, but I went to this lizardman node with hitpoint sponge guys and it was sick seeing a round of 300 damage done to each and it not even being overkill

I pronounce the Arcane Trickster as the chosen one of turn based always flanking pathfinder kingmaker rocket tag. A Greater Elemental of d6 Dice and slowly wiggling an AoE ground effect until it no longer touches your smilodong. It is peerless

This 4 page conversation about str or dex swords .. when it was there in front of us all along..

MT7Ps24.jpg

y5cgyYe.png

Trashos

Arcane
You all open up the way for my brand new Thassilonian Illusionist Eldritch Knight. And his rat.

(I am patiently waiting for people to realize what the opposition schools for a Thassilonian Illusionist are. I will put my earplugs on.)

Have you considered arcane trickster and transformation? :smug:

Also, another cool AT post-aoe-sneak-attack trick is the difficult terrain spells (stone rain, storms) plus mass feather step. The storm spells appear to apply sneak attack damage twice. Difficult terrain doesn't have a save. Open up a difficult encounter with those and some tanglefoot bombs. Slow some bitches while also applying the beatdown

Trashos

Arcane
Could someone please educate me what the hell is happening in that first fight at the end of the prologue? Why does the enemy get basically 1 free turn before I can do a damn thing aside from a little pre-buffing before engaging?

No issues in the RTwP mode. If therre is something wrong there, it is connected to the implementation of the TB mode.

Have you considered arcane trickster and transformation?

Octavia is like that, so I use it every time my MC is not a Wizard. I am kinda sick of it. I am excited about Thassilonians currently, they force you to come up with new tactics and try spells you have not been using.

Trashos

Arcane
I would also enjoy a Wizard subclass that can specialize in TWO magic schools, but pays the price that he cannot use any of the rest of the schools without scrolls. In return, he could have additional spell slots for his 2 schools (like a Thassilonian on steroids, so to speak) and additional bonus feats. It is a pity that there is no such subclass.

I see.

Another artisanal gish option that I don’t see mentioned much is an Ecclesitheurge grabbing a domain that gives them good arcane spells and romping around with eaglesoul, divine power, etc.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You all open up the way for my brand new Thassilonian Illusionist Eldritch Knight. And his rat.

(I am patiently waiting for people to realize what the opposition schools for a Thassilonian Illusionist are. I will put my earplugs on.)

You're giving up CONJURATION!? God damn. Well, talk about self-imposed hard mode.

Last edited:
I don’t think my arcane trickster has a single conjugation spell memorized right now. :smug:

Let me double check

Edit: I have mage armor for le catte and a stone rain. Early levels without grease and mage armor would have been pretty suffering meh though

Trashos

Arcane
You're giving up CONJURATION!? God damn. Well, talk about self-imposed hard mode.

There are a lot of popular Conjuration spells that I don't use because CHEESE. But there are Conjuration spells I use and I am going to miss them. Mage Armor, Glitterdust, Chain of Lights, Seamantle. Anyway, most of them are available to companions at some point.

I will probably miss Transformation more, tbh. Spells like Haste and Legendary Proportions are going to come later to companions, and I am going to have fewer spell slots for them too, so I am sure going to miss those.

In the meantime, I am taking out everyone in the early game with my Color Spray weapon system.

Some quirky Ecclesitheurge gishes:

Asmodeus: Fire primary to get scorching rays, fireballs, and controlled fireballs. Later fire domain spells kind of fall off, although you get some quirky things like weird and fiery body at 9th. You get cloak of dreams, confusion, fear etc. Trickery as second domain for a poverty mirror image as a move action and mass invis as a free action.

Gozreh: Weather gets absurd at higher levels. Siroccos, Firestorm at 7 instead of 8, etc. You get strong druid stuff while keeping whatever cleric tricks you wanted. Also gives you call lighting as a swift action as it's domain trick. Ends up being handy for finishing off enemies with 10 or less hp, which comes up more frequent than you would guess. Water gives you stinking cloud, cone of cold, horrid wilting. Air gives you lightning bolt, shout, cloudkill, chain lightning, greater shout. And you can even take animal domain and a pet if you'd like. It's the most munchkin deity out there, I think.

Erastil: Desiderus Community domain gives you this epic once per day sacred bonus to attack rolls and saves equal to your wis bonus. You get long bows as your favored weapon. Can get a doge. Legendary proportions and communal stoneskin.

Torag: Lead blades, barkskin, seamantle, disintegrate, waves of exhaustion, acidic spray, horrid wilting. It would be cool if blessed weapon was an artifice domain spell, but alas.

Lamashtu: Frightful aspect, cloak of dreams, legendary proportions, a bunch of enchantments that target will saves that your bard probably already has, and madness has a free action mass enemies only confuse. Also get the trickery mirror image and mass invis.

You can also dip in traditional monk for most of these if you hate fun.

tl;dr: Gozreh gives you a lot of fun spells and an optional pet. Other deities have a cool trick for a gish or two.

Anyways, while not quite the same, Ecclesitheurge is kind of fun for the same reasons as your hypothetical double thassalonian because you have to be a bit more creative to make the most out of your arcane domain spells as opposed to just defaulting to the best in slot arcane available at each level. Many of the domain abilities are also some of the more interesting abilities in the game, IMO.

Trashos

Arcane
My Thassilonian Illusionist EK is certainly an experiment, but this experiment is supposed to serve 2 purposes:
- Figure out what Conjuration and Transformation spells I actually NEEDED. We tend to appreciate things when we miss them.
- Force myself to go deep into the Illusion school and use Illusion spells that I didn't use before. Who knows, maybe some of them will prove to be good.

I would also enjoy a Wizard subclass that can specialize in TWO magic schools, but pays the price that he cannot use any of the rest of the schools without scrolls. In return, he could have additional spell slots for his 2 schools (like a Thassilonian on steroids, so to speak) and additional bonus feats. It is a pity that there is no such subclass.

Anybody else excited about this idea? Would you play like that?

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Again - good idea for Beneath the Stolen Lands dungeon, bad idea for the main game. Best Illusionists are gnomes, gnomes have rich and powerful history in Pathfinder universe, their drive to do anything exciting might very well be the motivation for claiming the Stolen Lands for Aldori - but not a living soul in the whole freaking game would realize that YOUR protagonist is a gnome! This is so disgusting that I just cannot play this race. And elves are almost as bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom