Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Playing as a dhampir pact wizard(races unleashed + call of the wild). Any way to stop my Azata minions from casting heal on me? And damaging me?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Flurry never has had a penalty in P:K.

PnPers...

Just confirmed this week that you can dual-wield Sais and also Flurry, which is even better in CotW because off-hand gets iteratives without additional feats.

Six attax at level 7 (started with Thug 4). Could have been 7 but Sage Counselor trades Ki Extra Attack for a Feint.
It seems like it doesn't give iteratives to off-hand, only 1 then 2 extra attacks primary at full BAB. And then I get a penalty for TWF. This is with two monk weapons yeah.

Edit: OH I'm thinking about the Chained Monk in terms of the -2. Well either way, I should not be getting a TWF penalty because I am flurrying, not TWF.

I don't think I understand. TWF means having two weapons. Flurry, shouldn't mean you use one weapon out of two two times? But I am fairly new to "D&D 3.75" i don't know for sure.

If you equip a weapon in your off-hand all your attacks are at -2 unless you have Mythic 2-weapon fighting from Wrath. Blade Tutor from CotW can give you +2 at lvl five to counteract in, but it’s a personal spell.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Sais are weapons. You’re holding two of them.
I'm flurrying with them. It doesn't technically say I have to use my primary weapon. You can be holding two Sais but your Flurrying is coming from unarmed leg kicks. You can pick and choose each strike. The monk weapon extra attack is already taken into account - it's assumed that if you're not holding a monk weapon in your offhand, you are punching them with your offhand instead.

Plainly put, when you're Flurrying, a monk weapon is essentially an unarmed strike BAB-wise. It's not a treated as an offhand strike. All strikes are treated like unarmed strike equal to your BAB.

When using this ability, the monk can make these attacks with any combination of his unarmed strikes and weapons that have the monk special weapon quality. He takes no penalty for using multiple weapons when making a flurry of blows, but he does not gain any additional attacks beyond what’s already granted by the flurry for doing so.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/unchained-classes/monk-unchained/

C'mon, this is how Flurry has always worked. You get extra smacks from whichever limb or monk weapon you're using.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

PnPers...

Just confirmed this week that you can dual-wield Sais and also Flurry, which is even better in CotW because off-hand gets iteratives without additional feats.

Six attax at level 7 (started with Thug 4). Could have been 7 but Sage Counselor trades Ki Extra Attack for a Feint.
It seems like it doesn't give iteratives to off-hand, only 1 then 2 extra attacks primary at full BAB. And then I get a penalty for TWF. This is with two monk weapons yeah.

Edit: OH I'm thinking about the Chained Monk in terms of the -2. Well either way, I should not be getting a TWF penalty because I am flurrying, not TWF.

I don't think I understand. TWF means having two weapons. Flurry, shouldn't mean you use one weapon out of two two times? But I am fairly new to "D&D 3.75" i don't know for sure.
No. You tell the DM that you are not actively using TWF as your full round action, you are choosing to use Flurry of Blows for your full round action. You can't do both, actually, because they are both full round actions. The same reason you can't Flurry and Spell Combat. Spell Combat is a Full Round Action.

Flurrying just imagines you're flailing around with any limb. An unarmed flurry of blows could be coming from punches, kicks, both, etc. but they're all the same BAB, even though you are quadruple-wielding unarmed strikes. Anyways, with a monk weapon, and if you choose to use Flurry of Blows with your monk weapon, then there is no penalty. You get the extra strikes from Flurry, you do NOT get the extra strikes from TWF.

Unless you specify you want to TWF insteaf of FOB.

Edit: I'm not saying that this is good game design. But by being a rule, well, every rule presupposes the existence of every other rule. That's why I say it's questionable to just change something without thinking it through. Adapt it to something that is similar and less confusing.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

PnPers...

If you equip a weapon in your off-hand all your attacks are at -2
No, they're at -4. -2 with the feat... as well as the offhand being a light weapon. But in terms of what I meant by -2, I was just confusing it with the Chained Monk (Monk, Barbarian, Rogues, Ninja, and Summoners I think all got "Unchained" revisions. So this is how it was at core for the monk:
Starting at 1st level, a monk can make a flurry of blows as a full-attack action.

When doing so, he may make one additional attack, taking a –2 penalty on all of his attack rolls, as if using the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. These attacks can be any combination of unarmed strikes and attacks with a monk special weapon (he does not need to use two weapons to utilize this ability).
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/

Desiderius

Patron
Jesus fucking Christ, would you play the goddamned game before spouting off for once?

Nullius in Verba

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well tbh FOB and TWF will stop stacking once Holic fixes his mod

Edit: and it's called Alt-tab

Jubilost doesn't feel Chaotic imo... Well it looks like he's from Pathfinder lore so he was adventurous back then, now he's just shitting on everything.

Last edited:

PanDupa

Educated
Can anyone give some advice how to build melee slayer? Preferably TWF. Should I go full dex with finese weapons? What feats work best with him? Playing with cotw

Efe

Erudite
like rangers, you dont need to have stats to qualify for style feats
so no, you dont need to be dex

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Who wouldve thought a simple Grease spell is so op.
---
EDIT - casting multiple Grease spells instead of attack spells :D and then just waiting for attacks of opportunity from your companions neatly gathered around the unfortunate perpetrator.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Rogues have more tools for DEX melee and Fighters/Rangers for STR. Slayers are ideal for two-weapon ranged to double up on Studied Target and Sneaks.

CotW lets you get all your off-hand iteratives at 15 DEX which lets you use Menacing Combat Style* even with STR-based. If you’re determined to go Slayer Melee Vanguard is best bet because it has Uncanny Dodge.

* - or even Weapon and Shield which lets you get Shield Mastery way ahead of schedule

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Who wouldve thought a simple Grease spell is so op.
Careful that's a slippery slope you're on.
I don't need to hear it as much as that poor Owlbear getting prone 5x and getting stuck at least 3x in the entangled ground. He did climb those stairs towards my last two archers in the end, yes, he did. But still, died within a claw's distance in front of their faces; hide bristled with countless arrows and seared by many an alchemist's bomb. Phew, until today I've not known, a turn based fight can bring such a suspension.

Desiderius

Patron
Stairs?

The lvl one spell challenge sounds like fun.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I'm pretty sure CotW nerfed Grease. It was close to useless the few times I tried it with the mod.

The nerf was kind of necessary, to be fair.

Desiderius

Patron
It’s good if you’re trying to play Unfair the first five levels and like to kite I guess. There are better ways to attack Reflex, especially in CotW.

Maybe people get overwhelmed by all the options so stick with what “works”?

Tried to pick up old DDO acct last night and felt that way. No idea where to even start.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I'm pretty sure CotW nerfed Grease. It was close to useless the few times I tried it with the mod.

I'm playing CoTW. I am now only 5th level, so I cannot say how it works on the higher levels. But for me, so far, it worked for all the difficult fights with big-HD enemies. Even the Champions. Only the Wererats with very high reflex-saves begged to differ -.- All other fights, inc. Owlbear fight at the Stag Lord's, enemies get hopelessly stuck if I cast 1-3 greases under them and, for the added safety measure, Entangle. The Wand of Grease helps too.

Idk how it was supposed to (not) work, but the enemies generaly fall prone almost every turn after a single step. When they reach my front liners standing at the very precipice of the grease, after the many turns of being bombarded by the archer / bomb / spell squad issuing all the ranged mayhem possible, the tougher enemies have like 1/2 or less HP. Once the enemy falls prone before the 1-3 frontliners and then stand up again, they generally receive a tremendous damage, mostly getting killed due to those 1-3 free attack of opportunity.

The same went on in the fight at the Stag Lord's. It was very intense, almost as if from some fantasy book. Four of my characters were unconsciouss. What remained was two archers depleted in health, scrolls and wands in their last stand, hudled at the end of one of the two wooden plateaus. Also there was a lone cleric at the far side of the entangled ground, unable to engage. Now, the Owlbear being the last enemy alive, still with half of his tremendous HP pool, crawled slowly through the entangled effect towards the two archers, falling prone every odd turn or so due to the many Grease spells. Nevertheless, it was steadily, ominiously closing in. Tough-as-nails, arrows kiting it to some extend, but never very much. In the very end it climbed the wooden stairs, freeing itself from the slowing spells, and made it close enough to almost claw at the archers. Though the Owlbear was almost out of HP at that time, it would had taken only one more turn before the archers would be finished. That one fatal turn however, cleric also got in reach from the other side. He's tossed the last saved Alchemist's Fire, and has actually killed the monster. Was a helluva lucky lob. Cleric dexterity 10, only one bottle of fire left, the monster probably with 10-20 HP left or so. It took me totally by surprise, and I wtf'ed my screen wet :D 15 mins of a turn-based fight! Couldn't believe it ended in win and in such a way. I didn't even check the combat log at that time.

Btw, looked later at https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/alchemical-weapons/ I now know, the Alchemist's fire can crit. So it must've been one - a top of the roll at that.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Lol, you were fighting the Owlbear at the Stag Lord’s Fort. Was trying to figure out where there were stairs and an Owlbear.

Never heard of anyone trying to fight it.

It’s fun to pull out fights by the skin of your teeth. It’s also fun to improve to the point where you usually don’t have to.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
It’s fun to pull out fights by the skin of your teeth. It’s relieving to improve to the point where you usually don’t have to.
ftfy haha

So I respecced my main into a Mindblade Magus, which lets me spellstrike and/or spell combat with a 2-hander or TWF... which is AWESOME because the 1-handed slashing animation is COMPLETE SHIT. After two iteratives it looks like you're trying to chop a log. Did they forget to add a horizontal animation or something?

It's completely ridiculous that the nunchaku are treated like an axe.

(A) it looks hilarious (B) developers need to putting a warning: this weapon animation sucks, don't use it.

---

Also, Acid Pit is disgustingly overpowered. Erase from Time is pretty OP too but it's at least funny. With Acid Pit I just feel pity for my enemies.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So I respecced my main into a Mindblade Magus, which lets me spellstrike and/or spell combat with a 2-hander or TWF...
Ooh that's neat
I have to use a manifested weapon though. So I can't use a speshul weapon, that being said, nothing stopping me from pulling out the Extinguisher when I see Will'o'wisps and playing just regular full attacks. Or just cast spells. Adding 6-level spell casters with 3/4 BAB classes was such a good idea.

Incidentally you're more correct than you think - the Grease change made it closer to original PNP rules.

Go skim the CotW description page. He's categorized which changes are
"In addition mod also makes some changes to make existing content closer to pnp"
"Original game bug fixes"
"Notable differences from pnp" as well as
"Optional balance fixes."

You can enable/disable some of those in the settings.json file in the mod folder. That includes the companion changes.

I decided to turn off the "balance fixes" because that's like playing someone's homebrew rules, which is kinda weird to do lol.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Just kidding about the Mindblade - its actual use is to make you feel stupid when you forget to manifest a weapon.

Edit: Okay so on a serious note, quick eval of the Mindblade
- Spontaneous casting
- Your normal magus spells are cast as psychic instead of arcane. You also get to pull a few spells from the Psychic spell list.
- However, psychic casting requires "emotion" and "thought" components (instead of somatic/verbal/material) which means if you get a mind-affecting effect, you can't cast.
- Psychic casting also increases the spell concentration checks by DC10.
- There are traits (Sound of Mind) and feats (Combat Casting) to mitigate those issues. But you do want to have a high Intelligence even if you are melee because your casting stat affects your concentration check. You also do not want to dump Wisdom as you don't want to fail a mind-affecting save.
- There is no psychic spellcasting failure in armor, though on the other hand the Mindblade doesn't provide Med. or Heavy Armor. Then again, with a 1 level dip in a class with armor, then you can be in Heavy Armor at level 2 if you want to go STR. So your choice here is (A) the typical Dex build that pays the Finesse-Dervish feat tax or (B) a STR build that loses 1-2 levels of class progression in return for extra feats if you go Fighter, or Barb/Bloodrager for faster movement speed in armor.

- Weapon manifesting
- Manifest ANY weapon in which you have proficiency in one OR both hands. So you can TWF and you can THF and you can polearm lol. The advantage of two-handed fighting is that you'll do more damage any time you can't use iteratives (e.g. moving and attacking, attacks of opportunity). The benefit of TWF... is more attacks I guess? lol. Well if you use a touch spell with multiple charges (e.g. Chill Touch, Frigid Touch) the more hits the better.
- Manifesting weapons temporarily points from the pool. They return when you de-manifest. In fact, you choose the enchantments (elem damage/keen/etc) of the weapon before you manifest, so enchantments are included in the temporary cost. You don't need to pay extra to enchant but at the same time you cannot enchant a non-psychic weapon.
- Other benefits... It's a little bit of color/variety and you don't need to buy a weapon.

Besides that it's mostly a spontaneous side-grade to the regular Magus.

Now, compared to the Eldritch Scion:
- The Mindblade has less of a need for extra pool point feats/favored class bonuses because you're not relying on the Scion's "Mystical Focus" (non-rage rage mode). And, as above, your enchantments return their pool points when you de-manifest.
- Mindblade uses INT, Scion uses CHA, that's pretty even because neither provides saving throws. Well, I suppose that the Scion will have better CHA-based skill checks, whereas the Mindblade will have more skills but crappier on Persuasion (though you can grab "bruising bully.")
- All of the above rules on psychic casting vs. arcane casting.

---

I read this ingenious idea of 2 levels of Arrowsong Minstrel with the rest as Skald (and maybe 2-3 levels of Arcane Archer). Note that the Arrowsong Minstrel's Precise Shot ignores soft cover from whatever your song effects and the Skald's songs are equivalent to Baldic Performances. I'm using a Court Poet, so all my party can cast AND gets Greater Beast Totem for a Pounce.

You should be able to do the same with the Urban Skald but whatever, I'm happy with a Pounce Party and my melee can make use of casting buffs anyway. I'm not sure what STR/DEX/CON skills the Court Poet prevents.. I can move/charge and attack as normal. Maybe combat maneuvers would be disabled but I haven't checked.

Actually I stacked Court Poet with Red Tongue, which means I lose most of my Versatile Performances in return for a few Rogue talents. Given that I have three skill monkeys already... Good stuff.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom