Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Discussion in 'Owlcat Games' started by Elex, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/3g8nez/comprehensive_list_of_all_rpg_elements_removed/

Never forget, never forgive. Instead of designing and enhancing RPG they just castrated the RPG parts completely and making everything brain dead easy except for raids (maybe). Nothing but pure :decline:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LannTheStupid Товарищ Patron

LannTheStupid
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I think optimization in the given set of criteria is fun experience by itself. Applying to Kingmaker: do InEffect's builds solve this task better than Desiderius - I am not sure. Do InEffect's builds promote the lack of build variety - probably.

So what? InEffect does not include "fun builds" in his set of criteria for optimization; someone else does. And a player - or at least a player who is not a crustacean - can decide which optimization, if any, s/he wants.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. gurugeorge Arcane

gurugeorge
    *koff koff* Tattoo "armors" in Skyrim modding :)

It would make more sense for a monk to have some kind of tattoo or branding that magically gives him qi power.

Speaking of qi power, there's a whole thing behind all that stuff that's quite real and is (broadly) about a) clever leverage combined with b) rather recondite conditioning of the body's fascia. There's a lot you could do with East Asian MA type archetypes that would ground them more in reality while still keeping characters who use those abilities quite powerful - even before you get to the question of magical ability, there's a whole physical conditioning level.

In fact, in a way, monks are the archetypal "muscle mages" :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Well I got started in on InEffect once I figured out that there was something off in his optimization itself (he missed Pathfinder’s whole design objective of making single-classing viable and the mechanisms they used to achieve it). He also optimized as if each character were soloing (or merely tank/spank/healing), which missed the second big source P:K’s fun.

People often got confused by my two pronged critique of traditional minmaxxing alongside noticing that they weren’t even finding their own optima correctly.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  5. Meredoth Magister

Meredoth
    Yep. They could improve their RPG mechanics instead of remove it.

For example, the necessity of soulshards for certain warlock spells. They could made it stack and the warlock able to carry multiple of this items, make different soul "tiers" like elder scrolls games with anything between great and lesser soul gems, and implemented more soul spending spells, allowing warlocks to maybe enchant items and do all types of crazy stuff with it. But no, that is too cool. The "solution" for the "my inventory is full of soul shards" is to remove it...

Optimization makes sense when your character would optimize. For example, a Barbarian who loves to use Axes picking weapon focus Axes makes sense. But creating a pun pun build takes all the fun of the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Note:

I’ve never played WoW, principally because the RT of Warcraft (and its precursors Age of Empires and Total Annihilation) drove me nuts as someone who cut my teeth on Empire and Civ.

I’m talking here principally LotRO. Played a lot of Guild Wars but that started out pretty streamlined. LotRO literally hired the chick from FarmVille when they went FTP. Fucking suits.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Efe Liturgist

Efe
    ehh, what does warcraft take from TA?
    dont get me wrong it was one of those games I loved as a youth but I just dont see the commonality besides same genre

^ Top  
  8. Rean Not that Rean

Rean
    You're welcome for breathing new life into a thread that was in its death throes.
    Donations to pay for beer are accepted. And tabletop is still the purest, most redpilled form of RPG and anyone who denies that needs to be put in a straitjacket.

• not sure if serious x 1
    • meh x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Meredoth Magister

Meredoth
    CRPG's are great but not as TTRPG's. You have far more liberty on TTRPG's and the social aspect. When you are playing a CRPG, is important that you have fun. When you are playing a TTRPG, is important that the group(dm included) have fun. This is the main reason which I prefer high level on CRPG's and mid level on TTRPG's(and the fact that most good modules for TT are mid levels). Between playing TT WoTR and electronic WoTR, I would prefer TT however, finding a group for such a long campaign is not easy.

^ Top  
  10. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    On the topic of PnP. Once played with my 4chan buddies and Anonymous Wife Scholar It was fun. Took me a while to create my monk sheet. My character wanted to punch every evil face it meets. Maybe I should convince Wife Scholar to do another campaign with me. But we need like four people and a DM to get a campaign going, ah well.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Shit happens off screen while you're dicking around. It doesn't in Empire/Civ. TBtards still scarred by the experience all these years later.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Dafug is this thread?

• Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Disintegrate isn't awful... but I've almost never used it. There were always better alternatives. Slow? Again, not bad, but either you can hard-CC enemies, make them easy targets or... Slow them. I've never found the last alternative particularly exciting. As for Baleful polymorph, for the longest time it meant loosing the enemy loot.
    Specialization doesn't do much for buffs (other then extra slots). So I should specialize for some 3 spells, that are suboptimal in 95% of the cases? No, thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Slow is the best spell in the game (nothing immune, AoE Enemies only, eliminates 75% of the most dangerous attax), it's just harder to get it to reliably blow out saves since no Transmutation Rod etc...

Transmutation strength is almost entirely on the buff side so it's also kind of out of place.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Wouldn't go that far, his builds are optimized around A-moving through the map, they do that well. Plenty of them rely on party buffs.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Atleticano Shoutbox Addict

Atleticano
    what do you think about this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/112

"This mod adds Antipaladin, Arcanist, Brawler, Hunter, Occultist, Oracle, Witch, Skald, Warpriest, Bloodrager, Shaman, Investigator, Summoner, Psychic, Spiritualist, Hinterlander, Dawnflower Anchorite, and Holy Vindicator classes, and lots of new feats, spells and other class abilities."

• Funny Funny x 3
    • nice nice x 2
    • Old Old x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    Wow! I've never heard of this mod before! Thank you for bringing it to our attention, Atleticano! It looks like a good mod! You should try it ;)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Why don’t you try it out for us and let us know how it goes. Make sure to give the creator plenty of good feedback, heard he’s a real people person.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Atleticano Shoutbox Addict

Atleticano
    Dont bully pls :/

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. vibehunter Educated

vibehunter
    Looking to get into this game, but my tiny caveman brain shut down upon witnessing the character creator. Any good, digestible noob guides you guys recommend that I can read to learn the ruleset and everything?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    I'm not. Well maybe a little. It's good for you, like an effective vaccination.

• coof coof x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Turns out one of the big things that Pathfinder tried to do was to make single-classing viable so you have lots of abilities that scale with level and whatnot that makes just playing the autoleveled companions pretty good (maybe play a pet class for main first time through) then as you get a feel for it you'll come up with ideas of how you want to tweak things on your own.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. vibehunter Educated

vibehunter
    That's great. I'd certainly prefer to jump right in and learn as I go with something basic. Just wasn't sure that was the right approach with this game.

As far as difficulty level, is standard Normal a good starting point? For context I only have experience with BG1/2 on Core Rules as far as CRPGs go.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    You can start on Easy then kick it up if it gets boring. Game is hardest at the beginning so no dishonor in that. Make sure and use the Bard - she can sing and attack/cast at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    I don't know if my steam page is exactly that but you can see a lot of builds on it and that might help you a bit. (Team B is under construction right now so don't look too closely at that part.)

Check my sig for the link

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.