Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Not to disrupt the discussion on sim-dating, but some of us are playing the game to slay monsters. How do you use the half-orc guy? (in combat, if that wasn't clear) I'm not familiar with the magus class at all, I'm sort of guessing it's about spell touch attacks? :?

Any tips on how to set up his attacks, which spells to take and and how to level up would be greatly appreciated.
Focus on touch attacks, yes. Shocking grasp is pretty much the bread and butter of the class. How this works (in PnP at least) is that magus gets Spellcombat (cast spells while making full attacks) and Spellstrike (deliver touch spells by hitting things with your weapon). Combine the two and you get an extra attack that also delivers the spell damage and can cause massive damage on crit, multiplying not only the weapon damage, but doubling the spell damage as well. You just need a one handed weapon with good critical range to make most of it. Enchanting weapons on the fly or other abilities are just gravy.

In game it plays a little more awkward, but it still works out more or less the same. One tip - set the Touch of fatigue cantrip to autocast. That way you should get that extra attack even if you have no other touch spells to cast. They are made at -2 penalty, but two attacks at -2 are better than one without.
Setting Touch of Fatigue on autocast is a great idea, I hadn't thought about that. I did observe, however, that sometimes, Spellcombat doesn't seem to work, and he makes a regular touch attack, and I also observed the -2 penalty not always being applied.

Anyone else noticed that? It's really quite an oversight that you can't cast the touch spells without targeting an enemy. It would make a lot more sense for a Magus, and allow you to "pre-buff" in preparing a spellstrike touch attack
I've been reading something about Metamagic and the Eldritch Scion in PnP, apparently the Scion isn't as good as the Magus for using Metamagic? But I don't understand why, and I don't know if the game follows PnP in this regard or if Metamagic is OK with the Scion in this game. Any ideas?
That's actually a good question. If it's like in 3.5, using metamagic with spontaneous casting increases the cast time, which means that an Eldricht Scion would not be able to combine it with his cast-and-fight mechanics, but I'm not sure if the game actually employs that mechanic. My gut says "no", because that limitation is both dumb and could be annoying to implement (separating on vancian and spontaneous casting on a meta-level for rules), but I honestly don't know.

It's easy enough to check, if someone has a Sorcerer or Bard with metamagic. Is casting time increased compared to a Wizard or vanilla Magus with metamagic?

Cael

Arcane
Their story is kinda sweet and romantic in a non-sentimental way tbh. Escaping slavery together and all that jazz. Can you turn Octavia more evil and let them stay together? (after fucking them both of course)
you mean the part where he treats her like his property?
That's not true. It's actually Octavia being SocJus trash, being triggered by wording of someone claiming another as "theirs". As much as Rogangar or whatever his name is is a cringily written edgetard straight from Tumblr, he actually makes a good point when you ask him about that thing in particular, saying that Octavia is only upset because she does not understand the difference between owning someone as property and owning their heart.

And that was actually a pretty sweet sentiment at the time, and really humanized him.

Overall, so far, I don't understand why he's even categorized as Chaotic Evil, other than a wish for some demented dichotomy between a Chaotic Good Half-Elf and a Chaotic Evil Half-Orc. So far, to me, he sounds Chaotic Neutral, quintessentially so; "I am free, fuck you, fuck everyone, I do as I wish, and what matters to me is my freedom, regardless of moral quandries". Single-minded focus on something fundamentally amoral (such as druid's focus on nature, a judge's dedication to law, or a bard's pursuit of the greatest song, stolen or not) is fundamentally Neutral. In Rorgangar or whatever's case, his focus seems to be on his own freedom.

His unwillingness or disinterest in the plight of other slaves isn't in itself evil, it's neutral. He'd be evil if he actually kept and promoted slavery, but afaik he does not. He just doesn't give a shit.
Not giving a shit is quintessential Neutral. That is exactly why Druids have to be neutral along one axis.

Turjan

Arcane
I'm very early in the game. Am not reading thread to avoid spoilers. Quick question.

I found a CYOA screen where the other party was apparently ambushed by kobolds. The gnome escaped one way, the party the other way. I followed the gnome trail, which led me to a giant area, with a giant ass cave, etc. It's taking me forever to go through all that content, even though I don't even remember why I'm doing it.

I just wonder. Will I ever be able to go back and follow the other trail? The other party has a priest that I need badly, I'm priestless, and resting is a pain in the ass.
Hmm, that CYOA screen should trigger after you got one of your other companions back at the Ancient Tomb. I guess you could try and speak to the Kobold leader first to solve your issues (in case you are still on speaking terms).

Cael

Arcane
Not to disrupt the discussion on sim-dating, but some of us are playing the game to slay monsters. How do you use the half-orc guy? (in combat, if that wasn't clear) I'm not familiar with the magus class at all, I'm sort of guessing it's about spell touch attacks? :?

Any tips on how to set up his attacks, which spells to take and and how to level up would be greatly appreciated.
Focus on touch attacks, yes. Shocking grasp is pretty much the bread and butter of the class. How this works (in PnP at least) is that magus gets Spellcombat (cast spells while making full attacks) and Spellstrike (deliver touch spells by hitting things with your weapon). Combine the two and you get an extra attack that also delivers the spell damage and can cause massive damage on crit, multiplying not only the weapon damage, but doubling the spell damage as well. You just need a one handed weapon with good critical range to make most of it. Enchanting weapons on the fly or other abilities are just gravy.

In game it plays a little more awkward, but it still works out more or less the same. One tip - set the Touch of fatigue cantrip to autocast. That way you should get that extra attack even if you have no other touch spells to cast. They are made at -2 penalty, but two attacks at -2 are better than one without.
Setting Touch of Fatigue on autocast is a great idea, I hadn't thought about that. I did observe, however, that sometimes, Spellcombat doesn't seem to work, and he makes a regular touch attack, and I also observed the -2 penalty not always being applied.

Anyone else noticed that? It's really quite an oversight that you can't cast the touch spells without targeting an enemy. It would make a lot more sense for a Magus, and allow you to "pre-buff" in preparing a spellstrike touch attack
I've been reading something about Metamagic and the Eldritch Scion in PnP, apparently the Scion isn't as good as the Magus for using Metamagic? But I don't understand why, and I don't know if the game follows PnP in this regard or if Metamagic is OK with the Scion in this game. Any ideas?
That's actually a good question. If it's like in 3.5, using metamagic with spontaneous casting increases the cast time, which means that an Eldricht Scion would not be able to combine it with his cast-and-fight mechanics, but I'm not sure if the game actually employs that mechanic. My gut says "no", because that limitation is both dumb and could be annoying to implement (separating on vancian and spontaneous casting on a meta-level for rules), but I honestly don't know.

It's easy enough to check, if someone has a Sorcerer or Bard with metamagic. Is casting time increased compared to a Wizard or vanilla Magus with metamagic?
Any spontaneous caster in 3.5 is bad for metamagic because it turns all your instant casting battle spells to full action casting. That means you can't do anything else other than 5ft steps. The extended casting time means that you can't use it with Quicken, of course (or rather, from a certain point of view, they cancel each other out, so you just dumped 4 extra spell levels on a spell for no reason). That said, used at the correct time, a spontaneous caster with metamagic can be extremely deadly, far more so than a wizard who generally won't even have it prepared. Note that this restriction actually carries over to any spontaneous casting including cleric cure/imflict spells and druid SNA spells.

Certain things do allow you to use a form of metamagic with spontaneous casters without that drawback. The Ordained Champion (automatic Quicken for spells on the War doman list) and Abjurant Champion (automatic Quicken for all Abjuration spells up to half your AC level rounded up) are two notable examples. The Epic feats Automatic <<insert any metamagic here>> bypasses that restriction completely also.

No DnD cRPG has ever implemented this rule, by the way. NWN just plain allows you to blow shit up twice as fast with a Sorcerer orgying on the Quicken Spell feat.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm very early in the game. Am not reading thread to avoid spoilers. Quick question.

I found a CYOA screen where the other party was apparently ambushed by kobolds. The gnome escaped one way, the party the other way. I followed the gnome trail, which led me to a giant area, with a giant ass cave, etc. It's taking me forever to go through all that content, even though I don't even remember why I'm doing it.

I just wonder. Will I ever be able to go back and follow the other trail? The other party has a priest that I need badly, I'm priestless, and resting is a pain in the ass.
Hmm, that CYOA screen should trigger after you got one of your other companions back at the Ancient Tomb. I guess you could try and speak to the Kobold leader first to solve your issues (in case you are still on speaking terms).
Well yeah I got one, but not the priest. Is he now lost forever?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's a matter of time before we get fantadomat hosting codexer-only LPs on twitch.
:obviously:
I will not fall to such lows as to be seen as Ibeggar. All those twitch and youtube retards should find real work and stop polluting the minds of young people! I wouldn't mind becoming moderator. Would be giving people's tags left and right :obviously:.

Jinn i wouldn't mind having a drink with you mate,it will be fun bringing you to the....my side ;). I do buy games that i like.PK is clearly unfinished,it is filled with bugs and there are DLCs on the way. No way i will be such a goy and buy it now! Still i did buy "A hat in time" on full price and never looked back,well worth the money:obviously:. A game that makes me restart because the devs are too incompetent and can't fix a simple game breaking bug...like BT4,they will not see my money!

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm beginning to suspect that Lander is not, in fact, the Neutral advisor and is, in fact, the Chaotic Evil advisor. Nothing particular he's done, but his general tone when dealing with bandits and general monsters is a little too...'I mean why wouldn't we do this'.

He's *politically* neutral. Your choices seem to be Good, Evil, and More Evil.
Nope , not neutral, definitvely chaotic evil, the treacherous backstaber
Hotfix 1.0.4 – October, 2nd 2018

Hello everyone!

We keep receiving a lot of your precious feedback which we convert into tasks\suggestions\bugs on the fly. Thank you very much! Special thanks for those who keep providing us with their saves files and logs submitted to technical@owlcatgames.com. That tremendously helps us to understand the exact nature of the reported issues.

Major Issues
  • No pre-order/Kickstarter rewards for the saves started before Hotfix 1.0.2. Resolution: rewards are available in the chest at Throne Room or Oleg's Trading Post.
  • Metamagic Rods are properly highlighted when activated and deactivated immediately on click (instead of waiting until the end of the round).

Quests
  • Jubilost's companion quest does not work correctly (character is teleported to the tavern at the wrong time). Resolution: fixed.
  • The dialogue could be broken at Inconsequent Debates area under certain conditions. Resolution: fixed.
  • Quest unit is absent at the location during the second Harrim companion quest. Resolution: fixed.
  • Poachers didn't start the conversation at the Poachers' Hideout. Resolution: fixed.

Areas
  • Jaethal`s death at the later chapters may cause the game over. Resolution: fixed.
  • Amiri doesn't appear at the end of Flintlock Grassland. Resolution: fixed.
  • Amiri doesn't return after Flintlock Grassland. Resolution: fixed.
  • Captured companion may stay prone visually after the combat starts at Technic League Encampment. Resolution: fixed.
  • Companion captured at Technic League Encampment may be invisible for several seconds after areas loading. Resolution: fixed.
  • Unable to talk to guard captain Hyland (Runaway Throne quest). Resolution: fixed
  • Some lootable corpses may look unnatural. Resolution: fixed.
  • Lighting setup issues at Sepulcher of Forgotten Heroes. Resolution: fixed.
  • Some players were able to acquire unlimited amount of gold in the Storyteller's dialogue. Resolution: fixed.

Items
  • Necklace of Double Crosses doesn't add damage bonus to melee attacks. Resolution: fixed.

User Interfaces
  • Camera movement keys remapping doesn't works. Resolution: fixed (the rare bug when the camera starts moving on its own should be fixed too).
  • No way to check the animal companions stats. Resolution: animal companions sheet is now available by selecting the creature an pressing "C" (default binding).
  • An item may be incorrectly added to the sell list while clicking on mass-trading options at Vendor UI. Resolution: fixed.
  • Mass-trading options doesn't work correctly at Vendor UI - only visible items are added to sell list. Resolution: fixed.
  • The weight value may appear incorrect in sell list at Vendor UI. Resolution: fixed.
  • Hit points on the party portraits may not be updated under certain conditions. Resolution: fixed.
  • The issue with adjusting the party formation direction while moving the mouse with right button pressed. Resolution: fixed.

Kingdom
  • Several kingdom events in Troll Trouble and Season of Bloom chapters deal damage to kingdom stats less often.
  • Region claiming visualization is adjusted.

Classes
  • Scaled Fists receives their Draconic Fury ability at 4th level despite the description stating that they should have received it at 3rd. Resolution: Scaled Fist now receives Draconic Fury at 3rd level. Any Scaled Fist of already 3rd level will receive the Draconic Fury ability immediately upon loading the game.
  • Dueling Mastery requires Dodge instead of Weapon Finesse and did not give proper Shield Bonus to AC and initiative bonus. Resolution: fixed.
  • Back to Back feat does not work. Resolution: fixed.
  • Sword Saint Magus bonus to AC from Canny Defense does not recalculate when Intelligence were changing (recalculates only on level ups). Resolution: fixed.
  • Clerics used to have two copies of Raise Dead on 5th level of their spells, one of those copies without a name. Resolution: unnamed copy of Raise Dead was removed from clerics spell list.
  • Armored Swiftness applies extra +5 speed on each reload. Resolution: fixed.
  • Guidance works more than once for skillchecks. Resolution: fixed.

Misc
  • Aasimars don't get Celestial Resistance bonus. Resolution: fixed.
  • Disintegrated units are invisible after a resurrection. Resolution: fixed.
  • Use Magic Device DC for scrolls is 20 plus scroll's caster level. We considered it too high, especially since some scrolls like Remove Blindness have higher caster levels intentionally. Resolution: DC is changed to 20 plus scroll's spell level.
  • Jaethal's camping ability 'Undead Guardians' produces more than two skeletons. Resolution: fixed.
  • New pack of localization fixes for FR, DE, ZH.

System
  • There is an issue with changing Language and Graphic settings on some systems. Resolution: fixed.
  • Character doll appearance and some other visual elements spontaneously reset to default state. Resolution: fixed.
  • The graphic options resets to defaults every time the game starts. Resolution: fixed.

We are following closely all the discussions considering game difficulty and some other system mechanics. We will keep informing you about our ideas behind the game structure (a couple of updates are about to be posted in the nearest days). And for sure we will keep watching the specific cases that could be breaking game experience and will closely examine them.
:killit:
The dipshits didn't fix the gamebreaking bug,off with their heads!!!
Indeed, dipshits did not. I am stuck at the same step. Could continue playing but that's yet another companion quest impossible to finish and one less advisor , and no one to replace her .
The faggot orc can replace the barbarian bitch,for the other one i too don't have replacement.
Regent is gone too, and the other options have much lower modifier...Seems i always had trouble to get advisors during the game despite we were supposed to have 3 chocies for each of them

Jinn

Arcane
Jinn i wouldn't mind having a drink with you mate,it will be fun bringing you to the....my side ;). I do buy games that i like.PK is clearly unfinished,it is filled with bugs and there are DLCs on the way. No way i will be such a goy and buy it now! Still i did buy "A hat in time" on full price and never looked back,well worth the money:obviously:. A game that makes me restart because the devs are too incompetent and can't fix a simple game breaking bug...like BT4,they will not see my money!

I can respect. I'd drink you under the table. I'm sure if we met IRL we'd have an excellent time, between the blood and shouts. Cheers to that time, fellow friend of the codex.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
she flat out tells you she has no interest in sexual relations
There was a missed opportunity here for Owlcat to write the first explicitly asexual romance in a RPG.

Bioware would never let such a chance slip by! :lol:
Not necessarily the first. Gaider has outright said he thinks the idea of a dwarf romance makes him uncomfortable, which is why DA never had one.

Any spontaneous caster in 3.5 is bad for metamagic because it turns all your instant casting battle spells to full action casting. That means you can't do anything else other than 5ft steps. The extended casting time means that you can't use it with Quicken, of course (or rather, from a certain point of view, they cancel each other out, so you just dumped 4 extra spell levels on a spell for no reason).
They fixed Quicken in Pathfinder then, it works normally like you would have expect. Other feats are a problem, though Arcane bloodline offers some ways around it. Not sure if it is the same way in the game. I doubt it, as you said no one bothered to put that whole thing in games so far.

Cael

Arcane
There was a missed opportunity here for Owlcat to write the first explicitly asexual romance in a RPG.

Not necessarily the first. Gaider has outright said he thinks the idea of a dwarf romance makes him uncomfortable, which is why DA never had one.
You get to bone not one but two status hunters in the dwarven noble prologue alone.

You also get to bone both Leiliana and Morrigan as a dwarf...

hell bovine

Arcane

First of all, getting his AC up is of paramount importance, and you'll want to do it primarily by boosting his Dexterity and with spells such as Mage Armor, Shield, Barkskin, Extended Blur, etc. Make them last as long as possible. Second, remember that he has to keep his one hand free, so he can't actually use shields.

He's going to be squishy, but if you can get his AC up just a bit, his tactical value becomes great. The key points of the Magus that you must remember is:
  • A Magus can use spells while also fighting. By activating Spell Combat, you can throw a standard-action spell with your off-hand, while fighting with your main hand. Any attacks made (including touch attacks from the spell, if applicable) take a -2 for the round, however.
  • When casting touch attacks, if Spellstrike is activated (and it always should be), the Magus imbues their weapon with the spell, and will deliver it as part of a regular attack. If you miss, you can just keep trying, the spell isn't spent. Shocking Grasp is your bread and butter, and Frigid Touch is great. Combines nicely with Heightened Metamagic.
  • Remember to use Arcane Weapon Enhancement and Arcane Accuracy. From lvl 5 onward, you can even spend some of the bonus from Arcane Weapon Enhancement to imbue your weapon with elemental effects or Keen, which is often well worth it.
All I can think of. I'm only lvl ~6, but past the initial hurdle when I got him, he's actually been a powerhouse.
Thanks! He actually seems like an interesting spellcasting class, because my sorceress was a tad boring. I'll give him a roll once the announced patch comes out, because the newest fix from gog seems to be still broken. Or at least doesn't work for me, spells are still invisibile on level up. :roll:

Codex Year of the Donut

There's even a dwarf female that flirts with you in DAI, but it leads to nothing.
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Lace_Harding

hexer

So he only writes about his personal romantic fantasies, not those his customers request?
How professional of him!

Turjan

Arcane

Well yeah I got one, but not the priest. Is he now lost forever?
No, you're close.

Cael

Arcane
Any spontaneous caster in 3.5 is bad for metamagic because it turns all your instant casting battle spells to full action casting. That means you can't do anything else other than 5ft steps. The extended casting time means that you can't use it with Quicken, of course (or rather, from a certain point of view, they cancel each other out, so you just dumped 4 extra spell levels on a spell for no reason).
They fixed Quicken in Pathfinder then, it works normally like you would have expect. Other feats are a problem, though Arcane bloodline offers some ways around it. Not sure if it is the same way in the game. I doubt it, as you said no one bothered to put that whole thing in games so far.
They BROKE Quicken you mean. Quicken was supposed to not work with spontaneous casting and for a bloody good reason. It is outright stated in the PHB and SRD that you cannot use it with spontaneous casting:

Quicken Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit
Casting a quickened spell is an swift action. You can perform another action, even casting another spell, in the same round as you cast a quickened spell. You may cast only one quickened spell per round. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action cannot be quickened. A quickened spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell’s actual level. Casting a quickened spell doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity.

Special
This feat can’t be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously), since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom