Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
1501080151433.jpg

Is this photo-shopped? Or Todd has a Nazi fantasy?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yeah I really don't like Owlcat pussifying their game to accommodate the mentally amputated. I'm not too fond of them making some of the very early encounters much more manageable for your average propeller hat (I'm a big fan of "I just got fucked" moments that games like BG1 had like when you run into the assassin outside Friendly Arms Inn), but having some super magical scroll to revert your Paladin back to Lawful Good is real fucking gay. It makes a joke out of the alignment dialogue they have in place where you could have your character start off as Lawful Neutral and then end up Chaotic Good by the conclusion, which naturally gives your choices made some weight to them and makes the roleplay portion more engaging. It also takes away the 'difficulty' of playing a good aligned class like a Paladin where you have to keep your alignment in consideration.

This also ties into the whole respecs conversation from a few pages ago. Respecs are retarded and are for people that shouldn't be playing RPGs in the first place. If you fuck something up, tough shit, you either create a new character or commit to it and let it rock. It's called "pen and paper" for a reason, fuckos. You can't use your eraser when it best suits you.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah I really don't like Owlcat pussifying their game to accommodate the mentally amputated. I'm not too fond of them making some of the very early encounters much more manageable for your average propeller hat (I'm a big fan of "I just got fucked" moments that games like BG1 had like when you run into the assassin outside Friendly Arms Inn), but having some super magical scroll to revert your Paladin back to Lawful Good is real fucking gay. It makes a joke out of the alignment dialogue they have in place where you could have your character start off as Lawful Neutral and then end up Chaotic Good by the conclusion, which naturally gives your choices made some weight to them and makes the roleplay portion more engaging. It also takes away the 'difficulty' of playing a good aligned class like a Paladin where you have to keep your alignment in consideration.

This also ties into the whole respecs conversation from a few pages ago. Respecs are retarded and are for people that shouldn't be playing RPGs in the first place. If you fuck something up, tough shit, you either create a new character or commit to it and let it rock. It's called "pen and paper" for a reason, fuckos. You can't use your eraser when it best suits you.
Watching people get butthurt over features they'll never use is more enjoyable than the game itself at this point.

Sykar

Arcane
Even without taking into consideration the mechanical implications of respec (of which there are many), it goes against the whole idea of roleplaying a concrete character.
"a wizard did it"
there, I fixed the roleplaying part for you.

Except not even the greatest wizard can do it in any D&D version.

:deathclaw:

Ahem.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm

Not really the "real" respec, but freaking game-breaking power right there.

Good luck finding a GM allowing that.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
New bug, and I can't report it, because Owlcat is fucking useless:

ND9uM0P.png

That mobility icon? It's stuck there. And no, I don't mean on that particular place on the map.

It's stuck in the middle of my screen.
M7bpaqR.png

:argh:

Watching people get butthurt over features they'll never use is more enjoyable than the game itself at this point.
Yeah, that's it, nigger, just keep pretending it has anything to do with using it or not.

Worthless paste-eating fucking potato. You can't even wrap your head around something that isn't immediately related to your own selfish wants. People like you are the reason genocides happen.

Codex Year of the Donut

ND9uM0P.png

That mobility icon? It's stuck there. And no, I don't mean on that particular place on the map.

M7bpaqR.png

You can't report it because you're a poor person that can't even afford to buy the game.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You can't report it because you're a poor person that can't even afford to buy the game.
Good job keeping up with the thread, retard.
Should i wait 6 months or so before starting my playthrough?
Probably. It's the sensible thing to do.

Now, as to whether you're sensible or not, well, that's the question, now isn't it? Waiting a month or two is probably the smart thing, at least. 6 months if you're really in no hurry is probably better. On the other hand, by then, the game may be completely ruined, at the pace Owlcat is going.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

ND9uM0P.png

M7bpaqR.png

Yup only people with wallet can vote, but these are dropping the game before chapter 3 and rather enjoy booze. (Then go play something new they got on Steam sale.)

Frankly why are you surprised, when it's created by people who are leftovers from Nival interactive?
(I learned bug free programming by self-education. Some people didn't get it even after finishing university, hearing lessons on university, and after years of experience.)
Lesson n.1 for bug free programming. - Don't use scripting.
Lesson n. 2 for bug free programming. - Design the game with detail including late stages.
Lesson n. 3 for bug free programming. - Don't concentrate all your time only on beginning of game, the whole structure should work well until the end, at least for main quest.
Lesson n. 4 for bug free programming. - When you don't want to implement some Cleric domain and spells, don't let these domain and spells, or Sorcer's backgrounds, be selected in the beginning. They can be included by an expansion.

Turjan

Arcane
Next people will be asking for a button that makes the custom characters automatically
go into options and set 'auto-level' to true

do you guys actually play this game or just pretend to play it?
Make a character =/= from leveling the character...
:cry:
The game has a button to use suggested builds for all the base classes. Choose portrait, race, name, load pre-build, auto-level. That works for all mercs you buy. On archetypes, the button does nothing.

Even those builds are much better than story companions btw.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It can't be an incline game unless it's marred by countless bugs due to excessive ambition and complexity of the game. It's not a novelty in the wRPG genre and more of a badge of honor.
That aside, my verdict on the game is that it has great narrative and an astounding casual-filtering battle system that's the deepest we ever had in the genre. Everything else is worse than mediocre. Navigation and exploration are abysmal, while the scenario is just okay for now.

And yet, people seem to dislike the bitter taste of actual incline. You know, Fornite and PUBG are pretty fun and bug-free. Their mechanics are developed to the utmost to provide endless dopamine pulses at just the right frequency. It's a Brave New World out there, with beauteous people in it!
Stop excusing developers for releasing unfinished games.
But he is right. Check this list of awesome games broken on release: Fallout 2, Temple of Elemental Evil, Vampire Bloodlines, Kotor 2, Expeditions: Conquistador and now Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Even without taking into consideration the mechanical implications of respec (of which there are many), it goes against the whole idea of roleplaying a concrete character.
"a wizard did it"
there, I fixed the roleplaying part for you.

Except not even the greatest wizard can do it in any D&D version.

:deathclaw:
I am pretty sure you can do it with a carefully worded Wish spell. And Greatest Wizards can cast those. And Greatest Clerics can cast Miracles that might also do something similar.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No respect for respec.

A good RPG has both tactical and strategic layers. The problem with so many of these newer games is that they strip out the strategy. This is my fundamental issue with POE and Deadfire. They feel flaccid because you can easily undo your build decisions and you’re not managing any scarce resources except camping supplies, which tend to be pretty plentiful.

Constraints change how you play a game. The lack of respec is similar to the time limits. They force you to commit to decisions about scarce resources (time, feats/skill points/abilities). I play very differently when I know that my gameplay decisions have consequences. The game forces you to engage your fucking brain. It punishes you for being thoughtless. This is good design. It’s a big part of what makes an RPG engaging.

It’s called choice and consequences, guys. C&C is not just about narrative. If you can undo your consequences, then your choices become far less significant. And if your choices don’t matter, your brain is going to be less engaged. Bugs aside, PK works really well the way it’s designed. Making it require less thought would be pure decline.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
People keep saying that chapter II is ok but I am there atm and I already found:

1 - My protagonist char doubled himself (didn't they fix it?)
2 - The quest of the fey kidnapping the 2 lumberjacks is broken, at least in my playthrough.

imweasel

I've put 50 hours into the game since release and still haven't run into a single bug (no joke). Just a few cosmetic bugs.

WTF am I doing wrong?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom