Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elex

Arbiter
Meh. Effort...
it's probally more about "no money"
i suppose that a slider with +2 to +30 *instert stat*

require 1/1000 of time and money than a slider for the IA from dumb to "smart and reactive"

Shadenuat

Arcane
its -x for every tick of poison. its especially shitty since you dont expect it.
thankfully you can just sent jaethal to soak it
just cast level 2 prevent poison or level 3 mass prevent poison.

mondblut

Arcane
It is not hard, but as MCA himself demonstrated, people rarely read into the game rules and try to think logically while assaying enemies and your chances of survival

People have just been conditioned that high-level instakill spells only work on entry-tier kobolds and giant rats, while anything boss-like is guaranteed to shrug it off. Has been that way since the 80s.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:decline:
The kingdom system is really broken. Events won't stop poping up and expect you to assign an advisor while taking two weeks to finish,the problem is that wants the same two advisors that work on different shit. Also they are locked to the end of the month,thus having events fail even i they are one day old. Also it really kills the exploration part.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Seems like the enemy stats aren't as ridiculous at higher levels.
The higher you go the less difficulty bonuses become a problem.

Having enemies with +4 AC hit you with +4 to attack is a big deal if your AC is 12 and bab is -1.

But if your AC without even spells or feats is 30+ and bab with buffs goes beyond +15 and you have multiple debuffs on enemy, it does not scale as strong.

The futher you go the more tools you get to skew everything if your favour.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
How do cleave/cleave finishing/greater cleave feats work in practice in this game? Are they good/worthwhile or waste of feats?
I'm asking about this particular rtwp game not about d&d/pathfinder in general.

Efe

Erudite
that priest named johd something sells scrolls for 6k a piece.
I still cant find any other option then scrolls.

Elex

Arbiter

Having enemies with +4 AC hit you with +4 to attack is a big deal if your AC is 12 and bab is -1.

But if your AC without even spells or feats is 30+ and bab with buffs goes beyond +15 and you have multiple debuffs on enemy, it does not scale as strong.

soo basically: the game is balanced, people are just rolling random characters that can't deal with that difficulty setting.

we can discuss about "it's the wrong way of balance a pathfinder inspired game, where are *pnp like* rule" but is not strictly unbalanced.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

soo basically: the game is balanced, people are just rolling random characters that can't deal with that difficulty setting.

we can discuss about "it's the wrong way of balance a pathfinder inspired game, where are *pnp like* rule" but is not strictly unbalanced.

Not exactly. As people have said, the low level enemies are overtuned. There's only so much you can do at level 2 to raise your AC and attack bonus and it's often not enough to properly deal with them.

Codex Year of the Donut
The kingdom system is really broken. Events won't stop poping up and expect you to assign an advisor while taking two weeks to finish,the problem is that wants the same two advisors that work on different shit. Also they are locked to the end of the month,thus having events fail even i they are one day old. Also it really kills the exploration part.
yep
you'll have events pop up on the last day of the month that are due in the next day but your advisor is already busy taking care of shit
no idea why they thought that was a good idea instead of having a set due date for each individual one

Codex Year of the Donut
Here is a small dragon for Xeon ;)
dPh1rpM.png
it's really weak
another example of poor balancing, it was easier to kill than a random group of bandits

Sentinel

Arcane
set it to automatic mode, although this doesn't excuse anything.

Here is a small dragon for Xeon ;)
dPh1rpM.png
post his roll stats on attack
How?
hover over the combat log messages that tell you "Hit" or "Miss". Basically any attack roll on the combat log.
For EXP just post the combat log after he's dead.
Here are the values:
Attack
fBbj9iW.png

Armour at its best
qwRPFQG.png

Also it gives 360xp.

Really disappointing battle!
8 more AC than a normal Wyvern, 2040 less XP. Balanced.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm not familiar with pathfinder pnp, but was there an obstacle in translating the encounters, exp, stats, directly from the pnp module into the game? This shit is just ridiculous.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So uh how do I resurrect a guy? I left Amiri and Regongar at the Stag Lords crib, dead as doornails, so now I have to slog back there and cast on their corpses?

e: Their corpses are gone. :lol:

Okay, this is probably important info:
I went to the zone my people died in and simply used the scroll on their portrait. That brought them back and right at the feet of my caster as well.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not familiar with pathfinder pnp, but was there an obstacle in translating the encounters, exp, stats, directly from the pnp module into the game? This shit is just ridiculous.

There shouldn't be really, I guess the issue with the CRPG is they throw more combat encounters at you then the AP contains.

I guess that's why they nerfed combat XP.

Overall you seem to end up around the same level as you're supposed to hit at the end of each AP book.

Efe

Erudite
Okay, this is probably important info:
I went to the zone my people died in and simply used the scroll on their portrait. That brought them back and right at the feet of my caster as well.
you dont need to go to the map they died.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Are there any dragons in the game? I kinda want to try the Ranger and not sure if I should pick humans since that's mostly the only thing I encountered in the early game and don't have clue about the rest of the game of what's there and isn't.

If there is a dragon then I want to pick it as my favored enemy and set it as my goal or something.

this is a small one

686F3A7149F1690527D0991354EF5606B99D831C

Breath Weapon -> 75 damage on all my party -> wiped

Honestly I don't know if it's a dragon but it's badass.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Wait...you can't create a party in this game, too?

You can, but it's pricey. Too pricey, in fact. It starts at 2000 gold and scales with your level.

I haven't experienced any gamebreaking bugs, or any noticeable bugs at all, but it's worth noting that quite a few people do seem to be having trouble with that. The problem with "noticeable bugs," of course, is that they may not even be totally noticeable until I'm more familiar with the game.

I definitely agree that early encounters feel a bit overtuned. This isn't just a problem because it's offputting to new players, it also sets your expectations to make you think that the game will be a lot more challenging than it is. It's like BG1 in that regard: Sometimes your level 1 character will encounter a group of six bandit archers on the way to the Friendly Arm Inn and there's just nothing you can do about it but reload and hope you don't roll that encounter again, and that sets you up thinking the game will kick your ass, but once you get a level or two in you and a bit of gear you go through it like a hot knife through butter. Which on the one hand is cool because it gives you a real sense of progression, but on the other hand means that the game never really has a satisfying difficulty level. Kingmaker is a bit better in that regard, fortunately, thanks to its highly tweakable difficulty settings, but still.

And as much as I complained about people complaining about the spider swarms, I also see where they're coming from. Again, in BG1 terms, imagine that when you got to the Friendly Arm Inn there was a questgiver who said "I seem to have misplaced my precious necklace! It's not worth much, but it belonged to my father. Can you fetch it for me? I think I dropped it a ways east of the Temple of Lathandar in Beregost." It sets it up as a nice, low-level quest for some easy XP and a tiny bit of cash, and then WHAM! You get immediately turned to stone by Basilisks. And Basilisks are easily handled if you know what you're doing, but if you aren't familiar with the ruleset, then you probably don't. The Spider Swarm quest is a bit like that - it's less that it's difficult, and more that it's just kind of sadistic. It sets you up to think that it'll be an easy romp for XP to ease new players into the game, and then smacks you with enemies that your weapons can't damage and that do permanent ability damage. Again, not an insurmountable challenge, especially if you know your D&D/Pathfinder, and overall maybe even a good design choice as it smacks players in the face with "Look man sometimes you just won't be ready to complete quests when you pick them up." But I can understand how it would be frustrating. It's a very oldschool approach, which I appreciate, but not everyone will.

(I can totally see the Codex in 10 years waxing nostalgic about how "Remember how Pathfinder Kingmaker had that spider quest early on that just ruined you if you weren't prepared? I wish more RPGs today were like that. Too much hand holding).

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Sneak attacks do more than 1d6. I just did 15 points with a heavy crossbow. Each weapon has a sneak/crit multiplier.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Each weapon has a sneak/crit multiplier.

That's not how it works. Sneak attack damage is independent of weapons. Rogues get +1d6 sneak attack damage every odd level, so a 3rd level rogue does 2d6, a 5th level rogue does 3d6, etc. It's also specifically not affected by crits. So if you crit, the game calculates the full crit damage first then adds the sneak attack on top of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom