Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The end result will be a game much easier than PnP.
it's almost like difficulty settings would still exist for those who want a masochist challenge...
woah...
I mean, you don't want to play on Core Rules anyway, clearly. Why the fuck are you against those who want the Core Rules to mean 1:1 PnP rules & creature stats? The stat bloat options won't disappear.
First, nice strawman you made there. No one said anything about "masochistic challenge" - but about challenge comparable to one provided in your average pnp by a DM, as much as it's possible on a computer.
Second, "core rules" in pnp include the existence of a "DM". Check it for yourself if you don't believe me. Every pnp manual mentions this guy, might be named differently but he is always there. You will never haver have "core rules" in a computer game because that particular crucial rule element of every pnp ruleset is missing replaced by usually shitty AI scripts.

However, having said that - I never claimed that an option to play a game with "core rules" shouldn't be there. The point is that some people seem to forget that computer game = lack of DM = very different type of game. If copied 1:1 from pnp to crpg it will NOT provide the same level of challenge that a pnp game with a DM would provide.
So chill out, bad people are not here to take away your "core rules". In fact, the opposite is true, I strongly believe that they should be included - as an option.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Did this game already become CULT CLASSIC?
It certainly seems so to me.
It's so much bigger and more important than any of the POEs.

Classic means standing the test of time. In order to stand the test of time, time needs to pass.
So no, its not a classic. There are no instant classics. Only time makes classics. I hate these "instant classic" expressions. I bet you put milk in coffee too. Fag.

Salvo

Arcane
SO guise there is a new patch out. What does it change exactly? Sawyers the fun out of the game?

Unless a new one came out it's supposed to be this.

Hotfix 1.0.1 – September, 27th 2018
27 SETTEMBRE - THEZEISONSHA
Thanks for your Patience and all your comments!

The following major issues were fixed:

• Issue with saves loading on Linux and Mac builds. Resolution: fixed.
  • Occasional exits to Main Menu while loading locations ("Error Message, Return to Title Screen"). Resolution: fixed.

Other improvements\fixes:

Quests
  • Romances with two companions simultaneously may cause an issue (never-ending loading). Resolution: fixed.

Areas
  • Oleg's Trading Post: oil trap is not visible. Resolution: fixed.

User Interfaces
  • Party companions can't be selected by ALt+N. Resolution: fixed.
  • The first game launch may take several minutes. Resolution: As a quick improvement added a warning about this issue on the initial loading screen. We will try to improve the first loading time in the upcoming hotfixes.
  • It's difficult to distinguish newly revealed areas on Global Map. Resolution: add FX and question symbol for recently revealed locations.
  • Issues with custom companion: the character model may be not visible in the Character UI. Resolution: fixed.
  • "Crow" (kingdom "messenger") may break Global Map UI. Resolution: fixed.
  • Specific combination of graphic options may break UI decals on several areas. Resolution: fixed.

Classes
  • Some tooltips with class descriptions have unclear wording. Resolution: improved.

System
  • Random crash on computers with specific time zone settings. Resolution: fixed.
  • Issue with switching game window between several displays. Resolution: fixed.
  • General game client stability improvements.

Localization
  • Several strings are missed in German localization. Resolution: fixed.
  • Special Characters were not visible (French and Turkish system localization settings). Resolution: fixed.
  • Several non-localized German strings. Resolution: fixed.

We are watching the situation with the balancing issues and listening to your comments and suggestions. We will address these issues in the upcoming hotfixes (some fixes for specific encounters will be available in the next hotfix which we are going to release in a day).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sneak attacks do more than 1d6. I just did 15 points with a heavy crossbow. Each weapon has a sneak/crit multiplier.

Sneak Attacks add 1d6 to your normal attack (plus an additional 1d6 for every other level). The weapon is irrelevant. But yes, weapons have different crit mulitipliers and thresholds.

They actually add the sneak die to all your attacks, so iterative attacks will also do sneak damage.

That's why hasted rogues are so dangerous on a flanked target.
I checked this with online PnP resources and was astounded as a result. WotC ain't handing this out even with 5e.
My first assumption is OwlCat doubled down with the overcompensation. Thanks man, this is a real eyeopener. Parabalus Munchkin Ahoy!

We fought this denizen of leng pirate captain in the Strange Aeons PF adventure path.

The dude was CR 10 and had 5 (1 standard, 2 iterative and 2 natural) attacks with 3d6 sneak attack. He could easily do over 150 damage in a single round if he was flanking a target.

It was a good job he had no way of hasting himself...

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I'm going to wait until the game-breaking quest bugs have been fixed before I play any further.

Just want to say that my great-weapon fighter has wrecked everything so far, just need to occasionally buff him against fear/hold person style stuff when facing spell casters etc. I can basically forego most damage spells and just focus on saving throw buffing and such haha.

Downright refreshing how versatile spellcasters are due to the utility stuff and how well they synergize with other classes compared to other recent games. No wonder 30% or whatever of steam players are confused :D

jf8350143

Liturgist
If someone know jack shit about the Pathfinder system and didn't do any study to learn it, while didn't pay any attention to choose companions for synergies or anything.

I don't think they can even finish the game on story mode. Even on story mode the enemies are super jacked up comparing their pnp counterparts, for whatever stupid reason.

Salvo

Arcane
By the way is crafting and general potion making implemented into the game? Not even sure if it exists in Pathfinder.

It's not implemented, at least the feats aren't. (crafting is obscenely powerful in tabletop) At most you can
collect fragments of a necklace that are scattered around in Act 1 and have it rebuilt in Act 2 when you get your capital

Serus

Arcane
Patron
By the way is crafting and general potion making implemented into the game? Not even sure if it exists in Pathfinder.
To my knowledge it exists in Pathfinder but I haven't seen any trace of a crafting feat in the game. Maybe that's for the better, crafting can potentially make looting uninteresting. Unless you include many items with unique non-craftable attributes in game as well. But then people will cry "why can't I craft thing X". It's a loss/loss scenario.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
To my knowledge it exists in Pathfinder but I haven't seen a trace of a crafting feat so far in the game.

Yeah it does (in the base game), it's the same as 3.5 more or less. Crafting skill and feats for doing wondrous items.

Unfortunately, they cut that out of the game.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Also: Abuse the hell out of formations whenever you can. Put your ranged/spellcaster squishies all the way in the back (unless you need them elsewhere, of course). Like in PoE where this made phantoms attack your frontline instead of your backline (who they couldn't see at first).

Sentinel

Arcane
it's almost like difficulty settings would still exist for those who want a masochist challenge...
woah...
I mean, you don't want to play on Core Rules anyway, clearly. Why the fuck are you against those who want the Core Rules to mean 1:1 PnP rules & creature stats? The stat bloat options won't disappear.
First, nice strawman you made there. No one said anything about "masochistic challenge" - but about challenge comparable to one provided in your average pnp by a DM, as much as it's possible on a computer.
Second, "core rules" in pnp include the existence of a "DM". Check it for yourself if you don't believe me. Every pnp manual mentions this guy, might be named differently but he is always there. You will never haver have "core rules" in a computer game because that particular crucial rule element of every pnp ruleset is missing replaced by usually shitty AI scripts.

However, having said that - I never claimed that an option to play a game with "core rules" shouldn't be there. The point is that some people seem to forget that computer game = lack of DM = very different type of game. If copied 1:1 from pnp to crpg it will NOT provide the same level of challenge that a pnp game with a DM would provide.
So chill out, bad people are not here to take away your "core rules". In fact, the opposite is true, I strongly believe that they should be included - as an option.
Cool, glad we agree then. Don't know why you're contradicting yourself.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok so general consensus is just that the game is difficult?
That is not really a problem for the game. I dislike more a few decisions that were take to make the game more core rule try hardy and make it more tedious. Like how slow it is to explore the world map and that you don't have teleport like skill/item that lets you explore while ruling your kingdom.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
To my knowledge it exists in Pathfinder but I haven't seen a trace of a crafting feat so far in the game.

Yeah it does (in the base game), it's the same as 3.5 more or less. Crafting skill and feats for doing wondrous items.

Not sure about "unfortunately". On one hand it can be a cool feature but on the other hand you risk making it unbalanced and looting less interesting. It's tricky.

Zeriel

Arcane
Starting to think that Bear Treant is bugged. At least for me, it also full DRs bludgeoning weapons, which are supposed to be its counter? Only thing that seems to go through is magic, which is doable, but it feels really out of place.

Not sure about "unfortunately". On one hand it can be a cool feature but on the other hand you risk making it unbalanced and looting less interesting. It's tricky.

I think the big problem with implementing these things in CRPGs is they are often implemented as "here is a crafting menu, instantly get whatever you want". Whereas if you do these things in tabletop, it ends up being an adventure in and of itself. In a CRPG, that might look something like BG2's crafting quests where you had to go and kill a dragon and bring the stuff back to the smith to create renowned items.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
woah...

Cool, glad we agree then. Don't know why you're contradicting yourself.
Where did I do that? Oh, I didn't, you just pulled it from your hurting butt. Ok, then we can agree, I'm glad as well.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Starting to think that Bear Treant is bugged. At least for me, it also full DRs bludgeoning weapons, which are supposed to be its counter? Only thing that seems to go through is magic, which is doable, but it feels really out of place.
Actually, some of us (me included) just misunderstood the situation. It is susceptible to slash apparently. Pathfinder system just uses a weird annotation that can make one think otherwise.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

If it's like a regular treant, like I said earlier in the thread, it has DR 10/Slashing. So hit it with Slashing weapons. Also, it should be taking 50% extra damage from fire.

Actually, some of us (me included) just misunderstood the situation. It is susceptible to slash apparently. Pathfinder system just uses a weird annotation that can make one think otherwise.
Actually, DR has worked and been presented like that in DnD since 3rd Ed. at the very least.

Edit: Just to be clear, though, I understand why people make the mistake, and it's perfectly understandable. It's not very intuitive, especially if you are used to CRPG:s and thinking of Damage Resistance as "extra armor" vs. a specific type of damage, which makes a lot more sense to me in general.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane

Weird, every weapon I've used against it gets reduced.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Huh.

What about the barbarian chick? Use enlarge person or make her rage and she should take care of it via mass damage alone even if reduced (unless you have a better fighter or some such as main char)?

Shadenuat

Arcane
My bear has both slashing and crushing natural attacks and I used magic fang to make them +1, and I think his attacks got reduced.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

It might just be bugged, or it doesn't work like a regular treant. I'm not sure if there's any in-game information, but if it's fey or something, try Cold-Iron weapons, although that would make no sense in the context of the PF ruleset, afaik.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have to say I'm quite impressed. After the first few days, where it had been established that the writing is nothing spectacular, and there are some slight performance issues, the discussion is all about the content, the ruleset and the skills (excluding a few autists). Which is the best indication that the game must be pretty good even by Codex standards. Compare it to any PoE or BT4 release, where the bigger chunk of the conversation was about shitting on different aspects of the game.

Did the game really deliver?

Some might disagree with me on this one, but using the Pathfinder ruleset must be one of the key parts of the success. It is not a perfect ruleset (but which is?), but it is well established and polished for a decade now. And the devs could build upon it. Compare it to the made-from-scretch ruleset of PoE, which in my opinion is much worse than Pathfinder or D&D. And I like PoE, but there is no denying that.

After the game is fixed of its shortcoming, I will gladly jump in. In hindsight, I'm pretty bumbed that I haven't supported it's kickstarter. Shame on me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom