Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Finesse feats on a STR character? Come on.

That does sound weird, I agree. I do not know whether they have a specific weapon in mind for that companion, however. (maybe strong enough for the armor, and finesse for the weapon? I do not know, I have not seen the companion or what options there are.)
I tend to agree that story companions don't have to be perfectly optimized - Val having high Cha based on her backstory is fine, for example - but Greybor having Finesse feats isn't like the companions in KM being less-than-optimized. It's just retarded, it has to be an oversight by Owlcat. There is literally no reason, irrespective of what weapons he uses (he comes set up to dual-wield axes, as it happens), for him to have any Finesse feats when he has 16 Dex and 18 Str.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
but Greybor having Finesse feats isn't like the companions in KM being less-than-optimized. It's just retarded, it has to be an oversight by Owlcat. There is literally no reason, irrespective of what weapons he uses (he comes set up to dual-wield axes, as it happens), for him to have any Finesse feats when he has 16 Dex and 18 Str.
Yeah, KM companions were perfectly fine, if you knew what you were doing with their builds. Even on higher difficulties. I don't understand why Owlcat would fuck up this way, or why they don't change it after (I assume) getting so much feedback about his build in the alpha forums.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Having wacky, strangely built story companions is apart of this specific RPG genre is it not? This was an appealing feature of Kingmaker if I understood correctly.

Why the fuck would they allow you to optimize and start them from scratch?

Yosharian

Efe

Erudite
Its the low hanging fruit. they want enough people to complain about it so they can reap "listened to community feedback" points in greater amounts with the change

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
KM companions were perfectly fine,

I disagree. They could have included at least a druid and PURE wizard(Octavia has rogue level and is specialized).

But a Succubus companion on WoTR will be amazing.

The beta will be available on GoG/Steam?

Efe

Erudite
I see you haven't met victor yet.
He can take any talking point and turn it into a cry for stronger casters.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
He can take any talking point and turn it into a cry for stronger casters.

Wrong. Druids wold be useful due the healing and buffs and wizards, it doesn't benefit directly me who loves to play as caster however, some people like to play as barb and having a "full' wizard in the party can benefit him. Legendary proportions is a HUGE buff towards melee characters which only druids and wizards can cast. Druids also has a lot of powerful summons which wiz/clerics can't cast. There are any mythic path good for a druid?

Also, I posted a lot of times that I wanna martial classes more "supernatural' at higher levels. If a lv 20 wizard can cast wail of the banshee, instead of removing it for the sake of "balance", why not let a lv 20 barbarian to "warcry" a similar effect? My problem is that balance cultists wanna every class equally boring to play.

This is completely unrelated to what we were talking about, which was companion builds and power level.

People who complain about then are completely wrong. I agree. Ekundayo is a amazing archer, with a simple enlarge can dish so much damage and has a amazing pet. Ameri is a decent tank with a good starting weapon. Jubilost is a good alchemist and you get him before you go fight trolls which require acid.

Valerie, the Magus guy which I don't remember the name are the unique which I considered "worthless". Valerie in particular requires so many buffs to do die on every battle that is worthless.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
It's hard to argue when his definition of good is hyper min-max character of a single class.

Even then Val made a good EK even without expansion to get her to be Kinetic Knight. So it is more about what to build instead of single-mindedly deciding that "Oh boy she is level 1 TSS so she must be optimized as sword and board fighter"

Reg is also fine. Not hyper optimized yes. But worthless? No.

Even Amiri which is decidedly not a good barbarian build is far from worthless. A worthless character would be I don't know, Barbarian with 8 STR and 16 WIS that you get at Level 10 maybe, but KM companion is anything but. If anything you get a lot of them on low level that it is easy to branch them out. The only companion joining at higher level is the Twin (Kineticist which I feel rarely need to branch out, and their build is fine), Tristan (or whoever join you on CH 2 depending on your Ch 1 action) which join at Level 3 I think?, and Nok-nok which is a min-maxed rogue.

WoR will be more restrictive about this as a lot of companions are joining on Level 3 being of caster class (oracle, witch) and in case of Reggil Level 6 Fighter, Arue Level 10 Ranger, and Greybor Level 10 Slayer. The only companion you get at Level 1 are Seelah (paladin), Lann (Zen Archer), Wendu (ranged Fighter), best girl (shaman).

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Wrong. Druids wold be useful due the healing and buffs and wizards, it doesn't benefit directly me who loves to play as caster however, some people like to play as barb and having a "full' wizard in the party can benefit him. Legendary proportions is a HUGE buff towards melee characters which only druids and wizards can cast. Druids also has a lot of powerful summons which wiz/clerics can't cast. There are any mythic path good for a druid?
I will agree that the absence of a druid companion was notable in a campaign revolving so much around nature, wilderness and the fey. But it is still has nothing to do with the post you were replying to when you first brought it up.

Valerie, the Magus guy which I don't remember the name are the unique which I considered "worthless". Valerie in particular requires so many buffs to do die on every battle that is worthless.
Valerie is the best tank in the game and practically made for the intimidate/dazzling display build. Regongar literally explodes stuff and his self buffs make him very resilient even before he wears heavy armor and becomes almost unkillable. None of the companions are worthless. They all have a niche to fill, and some of them more than one, as long as you know a few things about how to build and how to use them.

cruelio

Augur
Having a chuckle imagining full casters giving participation award medals to intimidation build fighters and magi. While the fighter is doling out useless debuffs and the magus is going waow I did 500 damage to a single target the full casters have already cleared the rest of the dungeon and found some spare moments to alter the basic laws of reality.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Having a chuckle imagining full casters giving participation award medals to intimidation build fighters and magi. While the fighter is doling out useless debuffs and the magus is going waow I did 500 damage to a single target the full casters have already cleared the rest of the dungeon and found some spare moments to alter the basic laws of reality.

Probably my favorite thing about P:K is the extent to which it makes powergamers like this clown look like fools, and was likely designed to do so.

Alchemists get Legendary too, Vic, and “useless” (lol) Val is set up perfect to be the dominant Druid you claim doesn’t exist since Druids can cast fine with a Tower Shield (you even keep it Wild Shaped) and Feyspeaker is the only Druid with Mirror Image.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Camellia/Ember give you 90% of what you’re looking for in a Druid, but I’ve made Lann one in two of my playthroughs and he’s great.

Trash Player

Scholar
Archetypes pretty much make everyone with one decent mental stat to become whatever full caster. Regongar is borderline minmaxed but magus is a slow class that need quite a bit of babysitting and eldritch scion is even slower for very limited benefits, they do still get mirror image at lv 4 though. In short, he joins a bit too early.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Thats what you get when you Ignore Cleave and perks that allow follow up attacks.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If anything, PK's companions have illegal stat distributions, so they are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from useless or underpowered. I suppose you can argue their initial class choice is not the best when taking into account their stats, but you can easily multi-class them.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If anything, PK's companions have illegal stat distributions, so they are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from useless or underpowered. I suppose you can argue their initial class choice is not the best when taking into account their stats, but you can easily multi-class them.

Optimized attribute distribution >>>>>>> Randomized illegal attribute distribution...

Trash Player

Scholar
They are just not min-maxed, not dumping irrelevant stats for what they are worth. The key stats are usually optimal(16+) for their starting class, which by itself might be the least optimal part.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
i wish there was a subtype of feyspeaker druid that lost wild shape entirely for keeping spontaneous summoning

not that it would be better, i just like being a pansy caster ya kno

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom