Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Sosiel romance I've just posted. It's not even funny or meme worthy
It looks like a romance written by woman for a woman PC. He worships Shelyn. If Sosiel is indeed artistically inclined, he would probably be obsessed with mc differently: on a basis like his perfect form, like many artists were, re-drawing same face or person over and over, etc. At very least you would want to look at what artists obsession is and how it looks like, and write from that. In that obsession one can find perfection or stagnation and downfall.

She's just a powerhungry sycophant that sides with whoever's the strongest at the moment
Sadly that's an incredibly boring and overused trope as well. To make it right you need some sort of twist or good cultural background. We, of course, already have an example of p same character done well: Hanharr from KOTOR2, who was enslaved by his belief in strength/tradition/bonds.

Val got into some of that in P:K.

eli

Learned
is the WOTR site not working for everyone? and how do you get beta acess?

Delterius

Arcane
You mean demigods are CR30+. Gods don't have a CR, instead it's a case of 'you lose'.

Ah yeah, might be a mistake from me. I recently read the books for some planar stuff so might get things mixed up. I think the CR 20++ is Empyreal Lords and Demon Lords instead of actual gods yeah.
To put things into perspective: Old Man Jatembe is CR24, Tor-Baphon is CR26 and the Baba Yaga is CR30. They are all mythical beings who changed the history of the world, but not quite the same. The Baba Yaga is interesting because she's in a limbo of sorts. She's revered as an Eldest and can absolutely grant spells and domains as a deity but can't be arsed to. A demigod in all but name. To be a demigod, one has to grant spells in 4 domains and be CR26-30. Further perspective: a PnP PC who accrues 10 mythic ranks is not supposed to have the means to crack into CR26. What would that entail, you may ask: well, Tor-Baphon's ascension into lichdom was at the hands of the Last Azlanti. Being killed by Aroden was his whole plan. That's the sort of narrative weight you need to become a demigod. Everyone below that is in the realm of 'quasi-deity', not an official classification from the books but something the writers put forward in their forums.

If I had to guess, a Kingmaker PC who became Herald to Him is a quasi-deity and so should be most Wrathfinder PCs until their bonkers endings. I have seen things you would not believe.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

website is down due to server issue

Beta is early acces tier which is 114 bucks

I''ll be honest i'll hold onto buying one unless you want to support Owlcat. While the game is fun, the quality is still mostly the same from Alpha 2.

Dev and Community Manager also have yet to confirm the patching model that Beta will have (whether it will keep getting updated with content until release or like Alpha style of 1 major patch and no more update).

As currently is besides Chapter 4, the game is not in much better condition than Alpha.

Lacrymas

Arcane
  1. I understand that it's a fantasy video game and everything goes, but protagonist voluntarily turning into a monster is something similar to a plothole. Why? Why would a person that took command of an army to protect people against a dangerous scourge that threatens all life in the world become something similar to them by his own fucking will?! That is especially strange when options that turn you into embodiment of good are easily available;
Because as it turns out, the modern condition is us willingly debasing ourselves (Hellraiser and the cenobites). This is contrasted with the ancient tradition of our passions debasing us (Pasiphae mating with the bull to birth beast-man, the minotaur).

Shadenuat

Arcane
I understand that it's a fantasy video game and everything goes, but protagonist voluntarily turning into a monster is something similar to a plothole.
My guess is that formulaic design will hit again. With all paths being somewhat equally viable (probably) and choice focusing on Chapter 2 (as they say), you cannot have neither a quick rise to power with much to pay in the end or slow downfall into madness with intentions which were good. And without treating every epic path in a more realistic and nuanced manner, what it means in the narrative wouldn't feel too realistic either. The player was promised to be X, and have 10 levels of it, and so they must have it, and path cannot be too difficult, and consequences too severe. (although lich noromance is p severe in bioware terms :shittydog: )

I am still not sure how they will make so many paths run through the game. If everything is even on a level of angelsword in the beginning it is massive amount of work actually.

guestposting

Educated
Some of you have pretty strong opinions about the quality of the gay romance. Didn’t realize we had so many experts on the subject.

Desiderius

Patron

website is down due to server issue

Beta is early acces tier which is 114 bucks

I''ll be honest i'll hold onto buying one unless you want to support Owlcat. While the game is fun, the quality is still mostly the same from Alpha 2.

Dev and Community Manager also have yet to confirm the patching model that Beta will have (whether it will keep getting updated with content until release or like Alpha style of 1 major patch and no more update).

As currently is besides Chapter 4, the game is not in much better condition than Alpha.

There are some signs of promising new systems and content but overall feel is worse than Alpha at this point. I'll play again tonight (had to restart because class non-functional and now on lvl four with Preservationist) but if things don't improve will give it a month or two.

Vatnik Wumao
I just can't imagine a feasible reason for any character to want to go for either Swarm or Demon, although maybe in the latter case it can be justified by portraying it as the PC giving into his rage one too many times akin to some Khornate warrior in Warhammer and thus sealing his fate in that regard.

Desiderius

Patron
Some of you have pretty strong opinions about the quality of the gay romance. Didn’t realize we had so many experts on the subject.

Yeah for a trad it double sux but just as art it's Kirk Cameron level shit. Clueless preening dutifully noted.

I just can't imagine a feasible reason for any character to want to go for either Swarm or Demon, although maybe in the latter case it can be justified by portraying it as the PC giving into his rage one too many times akin to some Khornate warrior in Warhammer and thus sealing his fate in that regard.

If people want to RP Evil might as well make it realistic so they can understand why normal people are disgusted by it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd say it's the same logic as being a Cthulhu worshiper in Lovecraft. One of my favorite classes in ToME is the Writhing One.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
One word - vengeance.

Vatnik Wumao
One word - vengeance.
Does it really apply when we are talking about the PC of this game though? By the point one gets locked into the swarm path, one would know that there are much better alternatives for him.

Delterius

Arcane
Demon: Why would you want like jesus fucking christ what the fuck are you doing bro come on

I agree that would make for a terrible story. A guy just calmly and cuntishly decides to be a permanently butthurt Demonlord instead of something more reasonable. No pathos, no destiny, not even anger issues or the dilemma of 'what are you not going to fight fire with fire come on man'. Just an asshole being an asshole. But that's not what is happening at all. Don't get me wrong, I was afraid this would be the case. But from what I've seen here and there (I tried to not spoil myself too much) the story is structured differently:

• Because of reasons, the PC has massive yet unshaped magical potential within them.
  • As the story progresses a number of plot hooks will be thrown at the protagonist, allowing them to act out character traits and personality that create an afinity for any number of ways to shape said magic. This can be a great artifact from legend or just an opportunity to fuck with people.
  • Finally, the PC is put through a moment of duress, where they are forced to wield their power in such a way that grows out of the middle.
As such, the story of demon edge boy can be like this: PC has magic. PC sees a bunch of fucked up shit and reacts with anger and a need to just fucking kill the demon assholes. PC is consumed by said passion. Enemy Demon metaphorically steps on PC's throat, forcing them to use magic. Moment of duress happens twice more. PC is now a Demon. You never step back and make a sober choice to be a cunt. Australia just happens to you.

Vatnik Wumao
As such, the story of demon edge boy can be like this: PC has magic. PC sees a bunch of fucked up shit and reacts with anger and a need to just fucking kill the demon assholes. PC is consumed by said passion. Enemy Demon metaphorically steps on PC's throat, forcing them to use magic. Moment of duress happens twice more. PC is now a Demon. You never step back and make a sober choice to be a cunt. Australia just happens to you.
To summarize:

Delterius

Arcane
Ecoterrorist? I'm not sure what the Swarm is ideologically.
68-lpmotb_ch055_060.jpg

Swarm is the school shooter Mythic Path.

Desiderius

Patron
Realistic and insightful depiction of Evil was strength of P:K, though those were the less malign versions (Gobs and desperate outcasts). Here they're getting to the meat of the matter. Sounds good (i.e. accurate in an interesting way).

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Power hungry, hedonistic, mad man with a god complex, I suppose?
In chapter 3 you fight a worm that walks and have the chance to ask him how it feels to be the swarm, and he describes it as being a superior being that experiences reality on another level compared to anyone else (I don't remember the exact dialogue, but it was something along those lines).

Swarm is the school shooter Mythic Path.
Why be Only One when you can be One made of Many?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom